ImageImageImageImage

THE PATRIOT WAY IN DETROIT

Moderator: theBigLip

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

THE PATRIOT WAY IN DETROIT 

Post#1 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Article by one of our very own Iceness. Having done a little research i am too excited about this hire.

The Patriots do this incredibly well. They identify future needs and seek out up-and-coming players who can fill those roles, either via the draft or even off the street. Look at Super Bowl hero Malcolm Butler, an undrafted free agent afterthought who is now a quality, wildly inexpensive starter for a team that earned a playoff bye.

I learned a great deal about player evaluation, player acquisition, the draft, how to organize a scouting department, and most importantly, the marriage between the scouting department and the coaching staff. All of our decisions will be based on what’s in the best interest of the Detroit Lions, period.

We will have a plan. We will use all avenues of player acquisition. The NFL Draft is not the only way to acquire players, free agency, trades, waiver wire, tryouts, other leagues. We will use analytics as a supplemental tool, not a primary tool in scouting. Our team will be based on having outstanding depth. Injuries happen in this game. One of my main roles with the Patriots was to find that next player, and I feel like we are going to have to do that here with the Lions.

We. Will. Have. A. Plan.[/quote]

http://sidelionreport.com/2016/01/12/bob-quinn-and-the-patriot-way-in-detroit/

GREAT READ
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Re: THE PATRIOT WAY IN DETROIT 

Post#2 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:52 am

DETermination wrote:I like everything he has said so far but as a Lions fan its hard to get really excited until something good actually happens on the field. It should be fun to see what roster moves he makes tho.

I disagree, as the draft gets closer and FA period. I am most definitely going to be paying attention to our picks . We have a ton this year and hopefully we acquire more.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#3 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:55 am

Catalysm wrote:I hope he trades a 2020 second rounder for Dez Bryant.

I hope we throw money at good OT, and draft our DT of the future.

Lombardi's pick was Ebron(literally his pick) and that cost us
1.) The best DT in league
2.) The best WR in the league
3.) Good OT's.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#4 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:29 am

Todd3 wrote:We need our SVG the coach now. Need to hire Coughlin

If we are going after a coach like Coughlin we might as well stick with Caldwell. I really don't see any scenario where we don't keep Caldwell, especially with the way we finished. I would think Cooter is kept at all cost and Austin can't seem to find a job. What we need is better drafting and addressing of team needs in the offseason. We go into the season too many times hoping a undrafted FA can fill in at key positions.
Todd3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,086

Post#5 » by Todd3 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:49 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:

If we are going after a coach like Coughlin we might as well stick with Caldwell. I really don't see any scenario where we don't keep Caldwell, especially with the way we finished. I would think Cooter is kept at all cost and Austin can't seem to find a job. What we need is better drafting and addressing of team needs in the offseason. We go into the season too many times hoping a undrafted FA can fill in at key positions.

I don't follow. Coughlin has won 2 SBs. No comparison to Caldwell. We need someone that can get us over the hump. I think Coughlin could be the Lions Larry Brown.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#6 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:25 am

Todd3 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

I don't follow. Coughlin has won 2 SBs. No comparison to Caldwell. We need someone that can get us over the hump. I think Coughlin could be the Lions Larry Brown.

NFL is completely different you change head coaches you might as well throw away a season unless play calling, coordinator and personel etc are similar and fit the incoming system. They don't. Your talking about a 69 year old coach who just got forced to resign, 2 shiny superbowls is nice, but Lions need to stop living in the past. .
Todd3
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Todd3 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:31 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Todd3 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

NFL is completely different you change head coaches you might as well throw away a season unless play calling, coordinator and personel etc are similar and fit the incoming system. They don't. Your talking about a 69 year old coach who just got forced to resign, 2 shiny superbowls is nice, but Lions need to stop living in the past. .

Coaches in the NFL change just as much as NBA and the parity is actually greater. Teams go from 6-10 to 10-6 all the time and different teams win championships every year. Rarely do teams go from 30 to 50 wins in 1 season in the NBA and its the same 10 teams winning it all since 1980. It's the opposite of what you're saying if anything.

Caldwell took the Lions from 7-9 to 11-5 in 1 season. It's not true that it takes a year to put it together, but even if it did we are giving Caldwell another year which isn't likely to amount to anything, so might as well have let Coughlin take next year to install his system instead and we could've been in position to win a SB the following year.

Can't write off 2 SBs. yeah its been 6 yrs since his last but its been 50+ years since the Lions last. Popovich is 67 and went 7 years before winning his last one, and no one is saying he is too old to win again. NBA is more demanding too with 82 games and travel every night. I think retaining Caldwell is living in the past. He's a good coach and had a great season in 2014, but the fact is he's 2-12 vs winning teams, and I think we needed someone better to get to the next level.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#8 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:46 am

Todd3 wrote:Can't write off 2 SBs. yeah its been 6 yrs since his last but its been 50+ years since the Lions last. Popovich is 67 and went 7 years before winning his last one, and no one is saying he is too old to win again. NBA is more demanding too with 82 games and travel every night. I think retaining Caldwell is living in the past. He's a good coach and had a great season in 2014, but the fact is he's 2-12 vs winning teams, and I think we needed someone better to get to the next level.

i think we need someone better, i am not convinced Coughlin is better at this point in his career. At this point its a matter of whether Quin and Caldwell are on same page. If he's not, i highly doubt someone like coughlin is the solution but merely the remaining coach with SB wins
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#9 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:53 am

The news of Scott McEwen's firing cannot be understated. McEwen has had a hand in Lions personnel decisions since since 1987. His firing represents a major upheaval in Detroit's personnel department.

While Quinn may not have made the coaching changes many fans were hoping for, he is clearly putting his stamp on the personnel side of the franchise. Expect to see a lot of changes in the way Detroit approaches their draft and free agency processes.

Kyle O'Brien was formerly a scout for the New England Patriots, making the Bob Quinn connection strong. O'Brien spent ten years with the Patriots personnel department before taking a job as regional scouting director for the Kansas City Chiefs, and then the Jaguars in his current position, which he has held since 2013.

With Kyle O'Brien scouting college talent, the Jaguars have made some rather impressive selections in the past three drafts. On the offense they've acquired a bevy of talent including Blake Bortles, Allen Robinson, Luke Joeckel, T.J. Yeldon, Marquis Lee and Denard Robinsion. Jacksonville has already seen marked improvement with such a young core at the helm. The Jaguars also drafted Dante Fowler at defensive end with their first round pick in 2015.
Todd3
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Todd3 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
The news of Scott McEwen's firing cannot be understated. McEwen has had a hand in Lions personnel decisions since since 1987. His firing represents a major upheaval in Detroit's personnel department.

Finally. It's unbelievable how long that guy stayed employed.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#11 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:21 am

Todd3 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

Caserio said the Patriots’ grading scale combines ranking players positionally, horizontally — by position across where in the draft they’re expected to go — “and then you look at the relative value of the player, relative to supply and demand, relative to your team. And it’s short term, and it’s also long term.”

“Each position there are certain criteria that you’re evaluating as it relates to that specific position, and there are position skills,” Caserio said. “And then you assign a value or a numerical grade based on how you see that player. Backup. Starter. Role backup. Third corner. So it’s a very specific, like, ‘OK, here are the player’s strengths. Here are his weak points.’ And then in the end, this is ... from a scout’s perspective, they’re encouraged to (say), ‘This is how I see this player fitting. He’s a third corner, and he has some position flexibility.’ Or, ‘He’s a backup player.’ And then you always go back to relative to a player on your team.

“So you’re watching somebody, looking at your team, and you’re trying to say, ‘OK, is he better than what we have? Well, he maybe. But if we have him, here’s the role, and regardless of who we have on the team.’ ”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/16/expect-quinn-bring-pats-detailed-draft-process/78907056/
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#12 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Todd3 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht said Quinn’s biggest impact will come through the people he puts in place in the Lions’ personnel department and elsewhere.

Quinn already has made one hire -- Kyle O’Brien, another ex-Patriot, will serve as his right-hand man and director of player personnel -- and more changes are expected after the NFL draft.

“He’ll unite the building,” Licht said. “He’ll have everybody on the same page. He’ll have everybody speaking the same language in terms of scouting and coaching. And he’ll make sure that -- what the system needs, he’ll make sure that the scouts are delivering those types of players. And when you have that type of cohesiveness within the scouting and the coaching departments, it’s always a recipe for winning. So that’s the trick. It sounds so simple, but it’s so difficult to do. But Bob will definitely deliver that.”

Return to Detroit Lions