[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

The Future of RGIII

Moderator: LyricalRico

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,779

Re: The Future of RGIII 

Post#21 » by CobraCommander » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Rg3 to Dallas, Texas or the Rams-

I hope he torches the league and I will always love this guy no matter what uniform he wears. I realllly want him out of this toxic situation as quickly as possible.

I wish him well, but I think he's a victim of his own mistakes - moreso than anyone else's. He's the one who decided against being in the offense that made him successful. And it's not anyone else's fault that he failed MISERABLY to learn to operate in the pocket. He was given every opportunity and thensome by Gruden. If he goes to Dallas, he's almost certainly going to fail unless they completely change their offense, imo.

I have heard all of this before (no offense) but I can't help but to see RG3 as a good kid that over played his hand at the age of 23.

Was a 23 year old millionaire that got built up by up by those around him, read and believed his own press, got hurt and then couldn't back up all of the media hype and his own words. When you act arrogantly - it isolates you - if you can you back it up - you get labeled as confident and people move toward you...and you get labeled as a leader. You get a huge contract and live happily ever after-

When you get seriously hurt and your play falls off and you are already isolated- and considered arrogant- your coaches and other players "turn on you" and you get cut for a guy that is considered humble (side note: Kirk was humble until he turned down 20mil a year- whoa Kirk thinks he is a 100 million dollar QB?? - "you like that!" ...really- how humble is that? - Well played Kirk - Get your cash...all of it because you deserve all you can negotiate...but get it guaranteed. Look at RG3 and learn).

I don't know if RG3 can play. I know that he is no better or worse than Kirk was 2 years ago when Kirk got benched. I also know he was rightfully benched and Kirk earned the right to be the starting QB.

I also know, RG3 has been demonized in our local media like he put his genitals on a female trainer, or deflated footballs, stole laptops and threw them out windows, had his best wide out traded because his wide out slept with his wife, sent *i*k pics to the females on staff and got caught, electrocuted dogs that lost fights as part of an organized criminal organization, got his jaw broke by his team mate for not paying him money he owes, got accused of rape during the offseason while hanging out with some coked out/passed out women at a "friends" apartment or something like that- Robert get treated like a villian by the media in town...sometimes I wonder if they feel like he shouldn't have dared to be so uppity.

Either way- Dont let the doorknob hit you on the way out RG3. Know that where ever you go- you will have a huge following in the DMV that will love you no matter what uniform you wear.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:46 am

Who "turned" on RG3? He refused to play the pistol offense - which he had great success in. He failed at being a drop-back QB, and ended up losing his job. It's not nucular science, as a former president from Texas used to say.

If you have a Great rookie year at QB, of course you're going to get lauded. And if you deservedly get released or traded (like he will), of course you're going to looked at negatively - as a player. But by all accounts, he was a good teammate the past season. It was his play (in the preseason and prior season) that was the problem, and that's why he will be released or traded.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#23 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 7, 2016 4:49 pm

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins have released Robert Griffin III, the 2012 NFL offensive rookie of the year and one-time face of the franchise, the quarterback confirmed via an Instagram post. The move, first reported by ESPN's Dianna Russini, was long expected, but still represents quite a change from four years ago when he was one of the most dynamic players in the NFL and the hope of a starved fan base.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14919644/washington-redskins-release-qb-robert-griffin-iii

Looks like they couldn't find a deal, which of course was always a longshot but I had hopes. Now we turn the page completely to where will Griffin end up. I still think KC is the best longterm option for him, but I expect him to go somewhere where he'll have a chance to start right away.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 7, 2016 7:26 pm

[sarcasm]I'm shocked the Skins couldn't get anything for him. [/sarcasm] Where he goes shouldn't depend on playing time he can get his first year there. It should depend on the coach and how willing the coach and Robert are to implement an offense that fits his skills. He cannot play in a traditional drop-back scheme, and I don't expect that will change.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Word is that Griffin wants to go to the LA Rams. They already have Nick Foles - who's actually statistically has had a bigger fall than Robert. Foles was amazing in 2013 with a 119.2 QB rating and 27 TD's vs 2 ints. Yes, 27 TD's and 2 ints. Last year, he was worse than Griffin's ever been - with a 69 QB rating and 7 TDs vs 10 ints. But stylistically, Foles and Griffin are completely different. So, it probably comes down to what type of offense they want to run.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#26 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:14 pm

The Cleveland Browns tried to get quarterback Robert Griffin III once. Now they’re considering it again.

The team had RG III in for a two-day visit that wrapped up Saturday, news that was almost as surprising as Joe Haden's ankle surgery announcement Friday.

In 2012, Mike Holmgren tried to pull off a blockbuster deal before the draft to acquire the pick from the Rams that turned into Griffin (Indianapolis took Andrew Luck first).

Washington outbid Cleveland.

The Browns can now sign Griffin as a free agent if they choose.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/18343/robert-griffin-iii-concludes-two-day-visit-with-cleveland-browns

I'm not the biggest RG3 fan, but Cleveland? Not sure I'd wish that on anybody. In his specific case, I don't think he can afford to have a bad year next year. He'd be better off sitting on the bench for another year than going to Cleveland and having a bad year on a horrible team (even if it's mostly due to not having much around him).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Yeah, do they have any decent receivers? Otoh, since they had Johnny Foolsball there - who had similar weaknesses and strengths, maybe their offense is better taylor'd to RG3 than most NFL offenses are.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#28 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Speaking at the NFL owners meetings, Kubiak said the Broncos have evaluated Griffin and that the former Washington Redskins star continues to be part of Denver's conversation for potential replacements to Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler.

"[Griffin] is one of the free guys out there," Kubiak said. "... He's obviously been part of the conversation. We'll see what happens; he's a talented young man."

Kubiak said he wouldn't discuss whether the Broncos would bring Griffin in for a visit, but emphasized multiple times that Denver would be "patient" in filling out the quarterback depth chart. The New York Jets and Cleveland Browns also have been linked to Griffin this offseason.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15040545/robert-griffin-iii-part-conversation-qb-denver-broncos-gary-kubiak-says

So that's 3 teams interested - a lot less than the 10+ there were supposed to be.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:55 pm

And the winner of the RG3 sweepstakes is... Cleveland. They sign him to a 2 year $15 mil deal. Well, he'll likely go in as the starter and have low expectations, and he goes to a team that used a running anti-pocket QB last season. Otoh, the low expectations are because of the lack of talent on offense surrounding him - at the skill positions and along the line. They absolutely cannot go with a traditional NFL style offense - he wouldn't last more than a couple games with that. If they go Pistol, they at least have a chance of some success.

Good luck to Robert. He's going to need it to stay healthy.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#30 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Ruzious wrote:And the winner of the RG3 sweepstakes is... Cleveland. They sign him to a 2 year $15 mil deal.

SMH :noway:

From the Brown's perspective, that's a lot of money for a guy that hasn't played a down in over a year and hasn't been good since 2012. And from Griffin's perspective, isn't Hue Jackson used to running a similar offense to Jay Gruden?

He's also walking into another potential controversy. I can't imagine that Cleveland passes on a QB in the draft just because they have RG3. If they go with Carson Wentz at #2, can the Browns really justify not starting him immediately in today's NFL?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:31 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:And the winner of the RG3 sweepstakes is... Cleveland. They sign him to a 2 year $15 mil deal.

SMH :noway:

From the Brown's perspective, that's a lot of money for a guy that hasn't played a down in over a year and hasn't been good since 2012. And from Griffin's perspective, isn't Hue Jackson used to running a similar offense to Jay Gruden?

He's also walking into another potential controversy. I can't imagine that Cleveland passes on a QB in the draft just because they have RG3. If they go with Carson Wentz at #2, can the Browns really justify not starting him immediately in today's NFL?

I could be wrong, but I think they're trying to avoid picking a QB, since they keep drafting 1st round QBs who fail.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#32 » by LyricalRico » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:43 pm

A little late, but this came out of Cleveland after they traded out of the #2 spot:

Brown, though, said RG3 isn't guaranteed anything other than a chance.

"Robert isn't even our starting quarterback yet," Brown said. "He has to earn that spot. In terms of bringing Robert to Cleveland, we are excited about the potential for him to earn that starting job. On its merits of No. 2 versus what we were able to acquire, this was the right choice for building our roster and where we sit now."

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/rg3/rg-isn-t-guaranteed-starting-job-after-browns-risk-passing/article_c781db06-09ac-11e6-8c8c-1b71550bd7ff.html

Not sure if that's rhetoric or not, but seems odd to sign a guy to a decent deal and then trade away a shot at one of the top 2 QB's in the draft - just to say you don't know who your QB is. But hey, it's Cleveland! LOL
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:57 pm

LyricalRico wrote:A little late, but this came out of Cleveland after they traded out of the #2 spot:

Brown, though, said RG3 isn't guaranteed anything other than a chance.

"Robert isn't even our starting quarterback yet," Brown said. "He has to earn that spot. In terms of bringing Robert to Cleveland, we are excited about the potential for him to earn that starting job. On its merits of No. 2 versus what we were able to acquire, this was the right choice for building our roster and where we sit now."

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/rg3/rg-isn-t-guaranteed-starting-job-after-browns-risk-passing/article_c781db06-09ac-11e6-8c8c-1b71550bd7ff.html

Not sure if that's rhetoric or not, but seems odd to sign a guy to a decent deal and then trade away a shot at one of the top 2 QB's in the draft - just to say you don't know who your QB is. But hey, it's Cleveland! LOL

Yeah, it sounds like Cleveland is still looking to upgrade at QB. Or maybe it's their way of motivating Robert to work harder at his craft.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#34 » by LyricalRico » Wed May 18, 2016 4:27 pm

Jason Reid recaps RG3-in-DC, and gives his thoughts on Griffin's move to Cleveland:

The Cleveland Browns are just going through the motions — it’s still April — but the team’s newest quarterback is attacking his drills like a drowning man determined to stay afloat. As he drops back, Robert Griffin III has never displayed better footwork. Over and over again, he sets the correct depth on his drive step. He’s equally precise on his crossover and balance steps. From a textbook throwing position, Griffin squares his shoulders correctly toward his targets and whips the ball around the practice field, hitting receivers in stride. Comeback routes, out routes, dig routes — Griffin hasn’t thrown the ball this well in practice in years. His teammates are impressed. After several strong throws, many are smiling. Maybe the Browns have found the quarterback they’ve needed for so long. Once again, Griffin is in a place where he’s wanted.

http://theundefeated.com/features/the-puzzling-plummet-of-rgiii/

I won't spoil it, but definitely check out the detailed recap of the meeting between Griffin and the Shanahans after his rookie season where he demanded changes to the offense. (Wow.) And also lots of quotes from guys that tried to help but were rebuffed.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Thu May 19, 2016 5:52 pm

I think a lot of us are RG3'd out and tired of Jason Reid making a living on him. Reid's job is to stir the pot and get reactions, and he does that well. Thing is, these things really come down to how well you play football - not a million behind the scenes issues. I'm sure there's some interesting stuff in the article, but I'd rather put that era behind us and watch us win.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#36 » by LyricalRico » Thu May 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:I think a lot of us are RG3'd out and tired of Jason Reid making a living on him. Reid's job is to stir the pot and get reactions, and he does that well. Thing is, these things really come down to how well you play football - not a million behind the scenes issues. I'm sure there's some interesting stuff in the article, but I'd rather put that era behind us and watch us win.

It's funny, at first I thought the site I was looking at had just recycled an old headline. It took me a minute to realize this was yet another Reid article about RG3. :D

Personally, I don't think I'll be done until after Cleveland visits in Week 4. After that, when the Browns are 0-4 and Griffin is embarrassed on his old home field (if he isn't already hurt by then), at that point I'll be able to move on. But until then, keep the hit pieces coming! :P
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#37 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 20, 2016 8:42 pm

And the hits keep coming, this time from Mike Freeman!

We always suspected that Washington owner Dan Snyder had enabled Griffin. We now know, thanks to an excellently reported piece from The Undefeated's Jason Reid, that "enabled" is the wrong word. What happened was much more problematic. Snyder basically gave Griffin superpowers, despite him being nowhere near mature or grounded enough to possess them.

Griffin became like an alternate-universe Superman. He tore the roof off the Washington team complex, grabbed former Washington head coach Mike Shanahan by the collar and flung him into low orbit. He did this because Snyder let him. He did this because he could.

The lessons from Griffin's fall, detailed by Reid, apply not just to Washington but across the entire league. Giving too much power to any man not emotionally equipped to handle it can destroy a franchise.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2640916-washington-owner-dan-snyder-ruined-his-own-quarterback-star

BOOM! :P
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#38 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 6, 2016 3:11 pm

This year, most of those hopes rest on the right arm of quarterback Robert Griffin III, who has hopes of his own: resurrecting his once-promising NFL career.

There's just one problem, though. Actually, there's a whole bucket full of problems. Problems that prevent this new start from being all that new. Problems that are all but certain to result in the same old outcome.

Failure—for both player and team.

All are doing and will do the best they can with the hand they've been dealt.

But it's a bad hand. The cold, hard truth is this: Griffin is an oft-injured quarterback who hasn't had any tangible success since his rookie season playing behind a shaky line with next to no receiving options to throw to and an underwhelming ground game to fall back on.

Even if Griffin can recapture some semblance of past form and Jackson is as good an offensive mind as the Browns hoped when they hired him, the odds are stacked heavily against things turning out any differently.

Which is to say...not well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649666-rg3-being-set-up-for-failure-with-cleveland-browns

Is this article just laying out the grim facts? Or laying out excuses for RG3 before the season even begins?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#39 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:09 pm

Read on Twitter
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#40 » by LyricalRico » Mon Aug 8, 2016 5:36 pm

It's official:

Coach Hue Jackson had hoped to name a permanent starter before the team's first preseason game against the Green Bay Packers on Friday.

"It's time," Jackson said in the release. "Robert has earned the right to be named the starting quarterback of the Cleveland Browns. Since he was signed back in March, Robert has made it clear through his actions that he is willing to do everything that has been asked of him to earn this role. Throughout this process he has gained the respect from his teammates, the coaching staff and the entire organization that is necessary for him to lead our offense and really the entire team.

"(Offensive coordinator) Pep (Hamilton) has done an outstanding job with that room to get us to this point so we can make this decision at what I feel is the optimal time which enables us to best prepare for the regular season," Jackson continued. "It's now on Robert to show the organization and our fans that this is the right decision.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000681529/article/cleveland-browns-name-robert-griffin-iii-starting-qb

Good for him. All the best, Robert! :clap: (Except for October 2nd, of course...)

Return to Washington Football Team