Falcons and the 2016 draft

Moderator: HMFFL

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Falcons and the 2016 draft 

Post#21 » by ATL Boy » Sun Mar 6, 2016 4:28 am

No to a first round WR. I want to see us go pass rusher or ILB in the first. My main preference is to trade back into the 20s, pick up an extra pick or two, and take a D-Lineman (Kiper says D-Line is incredibly deep this year).
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:41 am

Pass rusher or LB is my preference too.
Going with a WR in the first round won't make me happy at all.
We need to find a gem during the later rounds or from a guy in free agency that has the ability to step his level of play up.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#23 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:04 am

Latest CBS Mock Draft
17. Atlanta Falcons - Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
http://dal.247sports.com/Gallery/44417171/Photos/J8jpg-4156473?View=Full#USATSI8880781jpg-3961574
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by ATL Boy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Doron Lee looks like a new favorite for our first round pick.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#25 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:31 am

HMFFL wrote:Latest CBS Mock Draft
17. Atlanta Falcons - Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
http://dal.247sports.com/Gallery/44417171/Photos/J8jpg-4156473?View=Full#USATSI8880781jpg-3961574

The mock draft doesn't have Floyd going in the first round. Which could be good news if the Falcons can find a trade to trade down and get extra picks and still be able to pick up Floyd.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:34 am

ATL Boy wrote:Doron Lee looks like a new favorite for our first round pick.

I agree. I have Darron Lee on my 'want' list with Floyd and Shaq and a few others.

Lee looks like a hybrid SS/LB like Urlacher or Thomas Davis.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#27 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:05 am

5 questions with Falcons prospect Darron Lee

Q: Can you be a hybrid linebackers/safety?

A: “I think getting more speed to the defense, I know a lot of teams are looking for speed. I feel that’s something I’ll be able to do, me tuning up my technique and becoming more of a linebacker over these next couple of years, that will help me out.”

Q: Are you almost a new breed of linebacker?

A: “I feel linebackers are changing in the league, to be honest – a lot smaller. There aren’t really too many bigger guys. The game is getting faster and you need guys to cover. You’re starting to see that change a lot this year in the league.”

Q: What have you been specifically working on or want to show (NFL teams) during your workouts?

A: “Consistency in technique for sure. I think if I can show being consistent in my technique and even showing that on the field, that will get you out of some tough situations and help you play fundamentally sound. Being a fundamentally sound football player or linebacker will carry you a long way in your career.”

Q: What were your main responsibilities for the Buckeyes?

A: “It was a mixture. It was a mix of everything, zone coverage and man coverage. It really depended on who we were playing that week and what coaches wanted to do. So it really depended on game plan.”

Q: In man coverage were you mainly covering running backs?

A: “No. Sometimes it would be tight end and sometimes it would even be speed receivers. I probably have some help here and there a little bit with a safety, but there’d be sometimes I’d have to cover speed receivers.” http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2016/03/24/5-questions-with-falcons-prospect-darron-lee/
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:07 am

I prefer more size at linebacker.
A combination of speed and size is what I prefer at the position, so I have my doubts about Darron Lee, and his ability to have a long productive career.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 am

HMFFL wrote:I prefer more size at linebacker.
A combination of speed and size is what I prefer at the position, so I have my doubts about Darron Lee, and his ability to have a long productive career.

Thomas Davis is the same size and speed as Lee and Davis has made two pro bowls and had 6 seasons where he had over 100 tackles. Davis is not a sack machine but he has been a big part of some really good Carolina defenses.

DeMarcus Ware was drafted two spots ahead of Davis. Ware is by far the better player than Davis, but for what they got, the Panthers seem very happy with Davis. We will just have to see who falls to 17 or if the Falcons can trade down.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Apr 8, 2016 6:18 am

New mock drafts have Robert Nkemdiche falling out of the first round.

If Nkemdiche falls to the 2nd round, could Robert Nkemdiche be a good project for Quinn with the 50th pick?

I think Quinn is a good enough coach with the right personality to help out or deal with Nkemdiche's attitude problems.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by ATL Boy » Sat Apr 9, 2016 2:45 am

If Nkemdiche is there in round 2, I take him without a second thought. He's a top 5 pick talent. I don't know how eager Dimitroff will be to go after another player with off the field issues after Collins just got suspended (and Shembo, the other player he got with off the field issues, kicked off the team), but I hope that it ends up being Quinn's decision.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#32 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 9, 2016 10:35 pm

April 7th mock draft.

29. Cardinals: Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss

More from our team site
Arizona Cardinals
Arizona Cardinals blog Revenge of the Birds

Root: The Cardinals are in a pretty good position overall. They see themselves as a team with a roster that can win a championship the way it is currently constructed, and with the acquisition of Chandler Jones, their biggest hole is already taken care of, especially with Markus Golden already developing on the other side and Shaq Riddick full of potential.

So, what do the Cardinals do? The top center in Ryan Kelly is off the board, the best edge rushers are off the board. The best cornerbacks are off the board, too. While some might want Arizona to grab Paxton Lynch to develop the QB of the future, I have my doubts and don’t like the idea of taking a player in Round 1 that isn’t likely to play in his first two seasons in the league.

Enter Nkemdiche. There is no doubt the talent is there. Assuming his off-the-field thing is behind him, he would be the elite defensive line talent to infuse youth and explosiveness to a group led by an aging line in Calais Campbell, Frostee Rucker and Red Bryant. Not only would he set up Arizona very nicely for years to come, pairing him with the promise of Rodney Gunter, he would also probably be the most talented player on that line right now.

The veteran group would keep him in line in practice and on the field. His talent would take a great defense and make it even more physical and athletic. Arizona would be a great landing place for him and he would be a great fit in Arizona.

Analysis: From a culture fit, I love the choice of Nkemdiche. The Cardinals aren't afraid to take a high-reward gamble, and that's what this signifies. If Nkemdiche pans out, his pure athletic talent has few peers. He can work into Arizona's rotation up front, and eventually be Campbell's successor. If you assume that Nkemdiche will pan out, this is a great choice. Of course, that is no guarantee. He's had off-field issues and admitted to not always playing his hardest. Which direction he takes next will ultimately determine his professional fate. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/7/11382956/2016-nfl-mock-draft-robert-nkemdiche-arizona-cardinals
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by HMFFL » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:55 pm

The Rams now have the first overall pick.
Great trade for the Titans as long as they make good with the draft picks they've received.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#34 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:01 pm

Why Falcons should trade down in draft

The Falcons only have five picks in next week’s NFL draft thanks to Noisegate (fifth-round pick forfeited) and the Andy Levitre trade last September (sixth-round pick). GM Thomas Dimitroff has said repeatedly that the Falcons plan to be “creative” in the draft, which AJC colleague D. Orlando Ledbetter interprets that to mean the team is seeking to trade down.

I think that trading down to accumulate more draft picks would be the right move for the Falcons. Dimitroff’s propensity for trading up in drafts during his tenure means the Falcons have had relatively few picks over the years. Time to reverse that trend, if possible. http://mikecheck.blog.myajc.com/2016/04/15/falcons-should-trade-down-in-draft/
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by HMFFL » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Thomas Dimitroff reflected on his “draft pick” that got away.

With the NFL draft approaching, general manager Thomas Dimitroff, who’s preparing for his ninth draft with the Falcons, reflected on his “draft pick” that got away.

In 2009, the Falcons, looking to fortify the interior of their defense selected defensive tackle Peria Jerry with the 24th overall pick in the draft. Two picks later, the Green Bay Packers selected linebacker Clay Matthews.

Dimitroff discussed that draft on The Rich Eisen show on Wednesday. He’s set to meet with the local media Thursday along with head

Eisen asked Dimitroff: “You know what, I should have taken this guy when we had the chance. Do you have one of those? The one that got away.” http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/dimitroff-regrets-passing-on-clay-matthews-iii/nq8rG/
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by ATL Boy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:00 am

In their week before the draft mock, Kiper and Mcshay had the Falcons taking Darron Lee at 17. While I'd actually like that pick, there's no way I'd pass on Shaq Lawson (who they had dropping to 19) for anyone at 17.

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am

I have been advocating trading down from day one, but i don't think the Falcons will do a trade until the draft is underway.

Falcons will want to see if a top 10 talent falls to #17, also teams will be more eager to trade when the draft is underway when they see a guy they are targeting falling or possibly going up after the first 3 picks are selected.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:45 am

Myles Jack is rumored to be falling. Not because of talent, but because of injury concerns. If healthy, Jack is considered to be the 1st or 2nd best defensive player in the draft and a top 5 pick.

Jack's knees make him the biggest bust/reward player.

Just going on talent, Jack is considered to be the next Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher.

But because of the knees, Jack could be another Dante Fowler, injured from day one, and never really plays a full season of football in the NFL.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:49 pm

I highly doubt Shaq Lawson will be around at 17.
If he happens to fall I hope we consider selecting him or even trading down to a spot that we know he'll still be available.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:16 am

Bad news is that Floyd might be moving up in the draft. Some mock drafts have him going in the top 10 and one has him going as high as #7.

Maybe the Falcons should feel lucky if Floyd falls to 17 and just take him and not trade down?

I like both Shaq and Lee, but i'm starting to put Lee above Shaq in my draft board because I'm starting to fall in love with Lee's speed. Lee could be another Thomas Davis, or he could even hit his ceiling and be as good as Brian Urlacher

Return to Atlanta Falcons