ImageImageImage

Texans 2016: What are your expectations?

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Texans 2016: What are your expectations? 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:59 pm

What are you expecting from the Houston Texans going into the upcoming season?

They are coming off of a Division championship (take that for what you will), and they finished with a Top 3 defense.

This offseason they have been focusing on the offense and the lack of speed.

Will they repeat as Division Champs? Are they still better than the other 3 AFC South teams?

How far can they go in the playoffs (if they make it)?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Re: Texans 2016: What are your expectations? 

Post#2 » by KiDdFrESh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:56 pm

I expect them to win the division. If Brock plays well consistently throughout the season and our defense is healthy then I don't see why we can't be in the race for home field advantage in the playoffs.

I can't wait for the season to start! I'm very pleased with Coach Obie and the direction the team has gone since his arrival.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,158

Post#3 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:16 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about them winning the division, and I damn sure expect them to be a playoff team, but I'm concerned about Watt. I'd like to think that he will be fine and ready for the season, I just hope he doesn't push himself too hard to get back too soon, although that's pretty much who he is and what makes him so great in the first place I suppose.

I'd rather him miss the first few games of the season, if necessary, than have it be a lingering issue that sidelines him for an extended amount of time. Just have to hope Clowney and the rest of the defense can stay healthy and step it up in the meantime.

Now with DeAndre holding out, that could also potentially become a distraction. Hopefully that issue will be resolved sooner than later. Pay him, Rick! You just got yours, now give the man what he deserves.

I'm excited to see what the offense can do with all the new weapons they brought in through the draft and the addition of Osweiler. That WR core of DeAndre/Strong/Fuller/Miller should be pretty fun to watch. Really looking forward to seeing Lamar and Ervin as well, and maybe for the first time in what seems like forever we can actually make some big plays in the return game.

I can't believe training camp is already here!

:rock:
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:30 pm

I can't believe that Rick Smith got an extension & Hopkins did not.
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#5 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Well, that didn't last long.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000678339/article/deandre-hopkins-ending-his-texans-contract-holdout

One day after choosing not to report to training camp, the star wideout is ending his brief holdout, a source close to the player told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. Hopkins on Sunday announced his change of heart via a statement provided to Rapoport:

"I, too, am disappointed that the Texans' organization has elected not to enter into contract negotiations to secure my future as a Texan. I have expressed my sincere position regarding my contract status and I, too, with sound mind have expressed my stance to the Texans' organization. My focus also is on the 2016 season and help my team reach our ultimate goal. Having said that I am returning to the Houston Texans to play for a Super Bowl in Houston, Texas. I will be holding a 12 noon Monday press conference at Reliant Stadium. I am excited about returning to the team and grind this camp."

Hopkins didn't waste any time returning to training camp. An hour after releasing his statement, he was back in uniform, Rapoport reported. The team also indicated that they would work with Hopkins on a possible new contract if he ended his holdout, Rapoport added.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic about them winning the division, and I damn sure expect them to be a playoff team, but I'm concerned about Watt. I'd like to think that he will be fine and ready for the season, I just hope he doesn't push himself too hard to get back too soon, although that's pretty much who he is and what makes him so great in the first place I suppose.

I'd rather him miss the first few games of the season, if necessary, than have it be a lingering issue that sidelines him for an extended amount of time. Just have to hope Clowney and the rest of the defense can stay healthy and step it up in the meantime.

Now with DeAndre holding out, that could also potentially become a distraction. Hopefully that issue will be resolved sooner than later. Pay him, Rick! You just got yours, now give the man what he deserves.

I'm excited to see what the offense can do with all the new weapons they brought in through the draft and the addition of Osweiler. That WR core of DeAndre/Strong/Fuller/Miller should be pretty fun to watch. Really looking forward to seeing Lamar and Ervin as well, and maybe for the first time in what seems like forever we can actually make some big plays in the return game.

I can't believe training camp is already here!

:rock:

I think they can win it. I've been watching them the last few years and if only they had a DECENT QB they would have been so much better. I think Osweiler will be good. I'll be pulling for them.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#7 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Loved the throw Osweiler made to Fuller for the first TD, that was pretty. Still want to see more from him before I get too excited though.

Clowney looked like a beast the second he got into the game. God I hope he can just stay healthy throughout the season, especially with Watt being questionable.

Anderson looks really good as well, how the hell was he not drafted? We might finally have a legit TE for the first time since Daniels left!
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#8 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:46 pm

RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#9 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:39 pm

Nick Martin is out for the season, that's a bummer.

The O-Line has me a bit worried right now.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Mr. E » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:53 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:Nick Martin is out for the season, that's a bummer.

The O-Line has me a bit worried right now.

That one really hurts.

Depth is really an issue there. It was before Martin, so now...oy vey...
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#11 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:43 pm

Ervin got going late in the second quarter when he took a Cardinals’ kickoff three yards deep in his own end zone. With good blocking and some nifty moves, he knifed his way to the Arizona 45. The Texans haven’t had a return of more than 58 yards in the last seven seasons.

:o

I knew it was bad, but damn...

Later in the half, with 1:56 remaining before the intermission, he picked up 11 yards to start a drive that would result in a Jaelen Strong touchdown catch. He followed up the 11-yard burst with a reception for 20 yards. It was a productive stint for Ervin, who struggled in May and June with his health.

“Here’s a guy that was injured during the spring,” O’Brien said. “He had a quad pull, so he missed all of OTAs, so this is really kind of his OTA, if that makes sense, because he missed the whole spring.”

Ervin’s ability to contribute explosively has teammate DeAndre Hopkins excited about his potential.

“Tyler has a lot of speed, he can do a lot of things,” Hopkins said. “Punt, kick return, he showed it out here. Get the ball and go in the middle and not just a speed guy, who typically goes to the side. He is a tough kid. I am excited to see what he is going to do the rest of the season.”

I was pretty intrigued by this kid when they drafted him so I hope he can help to break the perpetual mediocrity that has been our return game for so long. Should be interesting to see how they utilize him in the running game as well.

Can't believe the season is almost upon us.

"Every year is getting shorter..."

So true, Roger.

So true.

Return to Houston Texans