ImageImageImage

vikings trade for sam bradford

Moderator: Worm Guts

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

vikings trade for sam bradford 

Post#1 » by hermes » Sat Sep 3, 2016 2:55 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17454929/minnesota-vikings-trade-philadelphia-eagles-qb-sam-bradford

In return, the Eagles will receive the Vikings' 2017 first-round draft pick as well as a fourth-rounder, sources told ESPN's Dan Graziano.

Bradford re-signed with the Eagles in March to a two-year, $35 million deal with $22 million fully guaranteed.

The Eagles would be responsible for Bradford's $11 million signing bonus. ProFootballTalk.com reported earlier this year that $5.5 million of the $11 million signing bonus was due March 18 and the rest of the bonus was due on or before September 1. The rest of his contract -- $20 million in base salaries and $4 million March 2017 roster bonus -- would go to the Vikings.

Vikings tight ends coach Pat Shurmur was Bradford's offensive coordinator with the Eagles last season and for two seasons (2009-2010) with the Rams.

well what do you guys think? too much?

i like that bradford has some good starting experience at least
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,510

Re: vikings trade for sam bradford 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Sat Sep 3, 2016 3:51 pm

I think Bradford was pretty much the best we could do and he could probably give us close to what Teddy could, but the price is upsetting. A first round pick for a one year rental?
hermes
RealGM

Post#3 » by hermes » Sat Sep 3, 2016 4:35 pm

he is under contract through 2017, maybe its an indication that the front office isn't completely confident teddy will be ready to go next year. if he's not we have a better backup option than we did yesterday
papz187
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#4 » by papz187 » Sat Sep 3, 2016 4:40 pm

Jets fan chiming in.....feel bad for you guys losing Bridgewater for the year, especially how it happened, but wow that's a LOT for Sam Bradford huh?

Wouldn't you rather sign or trade something like a 6th rounder for a guy like Sanchez considering the price you paid for Bradford?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Sat Sep 3, 2016 5:27 pm

hermes wrote:he is under contract through 2017, maybe its an indication that the front office isn't completely confident teddy will be ready to go next year. if he's not we have a better backup option than we did yesterday

True. I think Teddy will be ready to play next year but maybe not at the beginning or maybe he'll be able to play but he won't be 100%.
It at least gives us some hope for this year though, which I don't think Shaun Hill did.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Sat Sep 3, 2016 5:30 pm

papz187 wrote:Jets fan chiming in.....feel bad for you guys losing Bridgewater for the year, especially how it happened, but wow that's a LOT for Sam Bradford huh?

Wouldn't you rather sign or trade something like a 6th rounder for a guy like Sanchez considering the price you paid for Bradford?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Sanchez wouldn't have been my top option. Kaepernick or Glennon would have been other guys I would have targeted. I would have been fine giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a decent QB, but I really didn't want to give up a first.
hermes
RealGM

Post#7 » by hermes » Sat Sep 3, 2016 5:49 pm

we're in an awful desperate spot a week before the season looking for a qb who could start (and won't lose us games)

teams aren't going to give us one for next to nothing because they feel bad for us, to get someone halfway decent we'd have to pay for it, and to get what seems to be the best available (from what i've heard) they had to pay a lot

i guess we could take solace in the fact that the front office is confident enough in the rest of the team to make a "push all the chips in" type bet on bradford
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Worm Guts » Sat Sep 3, 2016 8:00 pm

I'm sure everyone was trying to screw us. Hopefully Bradford can at least make this a season worth watching
hermes
RealGM

Post#9 » by hermes » Tue Sep 6, 2016 10:49 pm

who should start in week 1?

i'd be fine with hill if sam isn't up to speed yet
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#10 » by Worm Guts » Wed Sep 7, 2016 4:18 pm

hermes wrote:who should start in week 1?

i'd be fine with hill if sam isn't up to speed yet

It all depends on whether Bradford knows enough to run a functional offense. Only the coaches and Bradford know if that's the case.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,339

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,222

Post#12 » by Calinks » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 am

It's early but if Bradford keeps this up, Teddy is probably done here and it makes me sad but that's life. We were hoping and expecting Teddy to make the transition into a guy that can be relied upon to make big plays but he hasn't gotten there yet and had no chance to display that this year. Bradford might be streaky and this could be the best game he has for us, but if he can on a regular basis provide deep accurate passes like this and continue to grow with the team this year, I cant see the team letting him go.

Diggs in particular seems to really benefit from a guy who can rocket the ball like Bradford does. Diggs badly needed a QB who could take advantage of that.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:18 am

Calinks wrote:It's early but if Bradford keeps this up, Teddy is probably done here and it makes me sad but that's life. We were hoping and expecting Teddy to make the transition into a guy that can be relied upon to make big plays but he hasn't gotten there yet and had no chance to display that this year. Bradford might be streaky and this could be the best game he has for us, but if he can on a regular basis provide deep accurate passes like this and continue to grow with the team this year, I cant see the team letting him go.

Diggs in particular seems to really benefit from a guy who can rocket the ball like Bradford does. Diggs badly needed a QB who could take advantage of that.

If Bradford plays well enough that we don't consider going back to Teddy, while sad for Teddy, it probably means good things for the team. I think we'll have 2 years to figure that out.
T-wOlvEs 420
Pro Prospect
And1: 165

Post#14 » by T-wOlvEs 420 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:53 am

Look at Mike Wallace 3 tds on the season.. enough said about Teddy.. I said from the beginning.. Bradford is an upgrade over a healthy Teddy..

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM Forums mobile app
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#15 » by Worm Guts » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 am

T-wOlvEs 420 wrote:Look at Mike Wallace 3 tds on the season.. enough said about Teddy.. I said from the beginning.. Bradford is an upgrade over a healthy Teddy..

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM Forums mobile app

Bradford definitely has more arm talent, but he's deeper into his career without having been anything more than average. If he continues to be what he's been in previous seasons, I'd guess they would let him walk after two seasons and go back to Teddy. If Bradford looks like he did tonight, then it's his job.
T-wOlvEs 420
Pro Prospect
And1: 165

Post#16 » by T-wOlvEs 420 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:38 am

I'm happy Bradford is here.. he's a better fit for our offense and a win now team.. Teddy will never have the arm to be an elite QB.. now after a serious knee injury, he may just be.... check down Teddy.. I love the Vikings and Teddy, but that's the hard truth..

Return to Minnesota Vikings