ImageImageImageImageImage

The Colin Kaepernick Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Re: The Colin Kaepernick Thread 

Post#501 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Well after Gabbert's performance today, it's going to be a matter of time before Kelly is going to be asked about switching.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#502 » by NinerSickness » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:12 pm

DoobieKeebler wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:As you may have noticed, I moved all talk about the National Anthem into a new thread: http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=1478200#start_here.

Then let's get back to the point of this thread:

Kaepernick is still a clueless, crappy quarterback. Should've taken the late-round pick from Denver. :banghead:

On a related note, WTF was Minny thinking trading a 1st and a 4th for Sam Crapford? They probably could have had Colin for a bag of Doritos after this whole anthem situation. I'd rather Colin start for SF, but trading for him would have been a smart move IMO because Colin probably would flourish in Minny since they have a strong D, run game, and some nice WRs (like Stefon Diggs).

Baalke should have shopped Colin hard when Bridgewater went down. No point keeping him on the bench all year just to prove a point if you're just gonna cut him in February or whenever.

That's how much people can't stand Kaepernick and his punchable face. They'll take a guy who's even worse than he just so they don't have to look at him or listen to his whiney, clueless voice.

DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#503 » by DoobieKeebler » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:14 am

NinerSickness wrote:
DoobieKeebler wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Then let's get back to the point of this thread:

Kaepernick is still a clueless, crappy quarterback. Should've taken the late-round pick from Denver. :banghead:

On a related note, WTF was Minny thinking trading a 1st and a 4th for Sam Crapford? They probably could have had Colin for a bag of Doritos after this whole anthem situation. I'd rather Colin start for SF, but trading for him would have been a smart move IMO because Colin probably would flourish in Minny since they have a strong D, run game, and some nice WRs (like Stefon Diggs).

Baalke should have shopped Colin hard when Bridgewater went down. No point keeping him on the bench all year just to prove a point if you're just gonna cut him in February or whenever.

That's how much people can't stand Kaepernick and his punchable face. They'll take a guy who's even worse than he just so they don't have to look at him or listen to his whiney, clueless voice.

/youtube

Even for someone who is ostensibly backing him, I'll admit he does have a somewhat punchable face.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#504 » by RedneckNiner » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:53 am

Kaep and Gabbert are very similar. Both are bad at throwing receivers open, both have HUGE accuracy issues. Kaepernick at times will be more aggressive but as Mathieu and other opponents last year said and proved Kaep telegraphs his throws. He doesnt look off the safety or go through progressions but he will take off and run faster than Gabbert... Gabbert does seem better at going through progressions but he has a hesitation to him like hes not sure he believes what his eyes tell him. Both are wildly inconsistent with their throws.

Minnesota trading a 1st and 4th for Bradford stings. I have a feeling without the other drama there would have been a chance Kaep would have been tradef to Minny for a second or third...which honestly id take...Baalke would probably take a warm 6 pack of Old milwaukee for him
wco81
RealGM

Post#505 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 am

If he doesn't get playing time, 49ers won't be able to trade him at all and they'll probably bail on him so they don't have to pay him next year.

So Kelly would have to put him in if he thinks he could get better results.

But York and Baalke may have told him this is a rebuilding year so the team doesn't have to try to win. If Kelly has that assurance, no reason for him to put his neck out for Kaep either.

Kelly would probably need to show progress by the third season though so they'd need a franchise QB identified by then. That means for the next 2-3 seasons, they have to limp through with whichever body Baalke gets to play QB.

So all 49ers fans can look forward to is all these draft picks at all positions other than QB develop for the next couple of years, unless some great QB prospect, one of those "can't miss" types, becomes available to them in the next couple of drafts.

Denver just won a SB without elite QB play and you can argue that Seattle won it without elite QB play too. So get the best players possible at all the other positions.

It's possible no such player ever becomes available to the 49ers in the next 5-7 years. Luck was suppose to be the best QB prospect in a decade and he's not going to win the SB any time soon because the Colts overall roster isn't good enough. So maybe elite QB play is overrated.
49rangER
Senior
And1: 28

Post#506 » by 49rangER » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Maybe its just me but it seems like Kelly is never too high on Gabbert when being asked about him.

I have a feeling he is just waiting for gabbert to implode so he can put Kap in there.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#507 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:41 pm

49rangER wrote:Maybe its just me but it seems like Kelly is never too high on Gabbert when being asked about him.

I have a feeling he is just waiting for gabbert to implode so he can put Kap in there.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/19/pro-football-focus-blaine-gabbert-ranks-33rd-of-34-quarterbacks/

Gabbert is Baalke's guy and I don't think Chip has really any attachment to Gabbert.

Unless Gabbert makes some strides Kap will get a chance to play as I don't think Chip is going to suffer Gabbert for long and I don't think Chip can resist not at least seeing what he has in Kap.

Right now the only possible benefit I see with Gabbert vs Kap is Gabbert is better at reading the field and he could be prone to turning the ball over less than Kap.

Other than that I don't really see a reason to not at least give Kap a look at QB. At least Kap is better at the read option and improve the run game a bit.
wco81
RealGM

Post#508 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:12 am

I thought Gabbert was someone Harbaugh lobbied for, because he had recruited him the same time he recruited Luck back at Stanford.

Of course, Kap is Harbaugh's guy too so that probably makes him dislike Kap.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#509 » by RedneckNiner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:15 pm

They keep commentig Kaeps weight and such so maybe hes not completely ready. Personally I think they plan on sticking with Gabbert at least through they bye..and if he is still ineffective we might see Kaep after the bye....maybe even some Ponder.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#510 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:03 pm

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#511 » by Jikkle » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:48 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:They keep commentig Kaeps weight and such so maybe hes not completely ready. Personally I think they plan on sticking with Gabbert at least through they bye..and if he is still ineffective we might see Kaep after the bye....maybe even some Ponder.

I'm guessing if Gabbert is still playing the way he is and if the team loses the next 2 out of 3 it'll be after the Cardinals game we see Kap. It's a Thursday Night game so it's a mini bye which will give Kap extra time to prep and get ready to start.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#512 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:16 pm

Matt Barrows:

Colin Kaepernick says he'll donate $100k a month for the next 10 months. Is setting up web site so public can track $, how it is spent.

Nick Wagoner:

49ers QB Colin Kaepernick said Tuesday that he's received death threats via multiple means since he began his protest of racial inequality and oppression. Kaepernick said he hasn't alerted team security to those threats because he believes if something were to happen to him, it would only be proving his point.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#513 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Well I certainly did not anticipate this sort of attention when this story first broke.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/22/13015386/colin-kaepernick-time-magazine-cover-san-francisco-49ers

Gotta say, whatever your feelings about how he's choosing to spread his message, it's been extremely effective at attracting attention. Shockingly so, IMO.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#514 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:12 pm

49ers' Chip Kelly shuts down reporter whining about Colin Kaepernick

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/reporter-chip-kelly-colin-kaepernick-49ers-press-conference-lowell-cohn/86ric7bzumtc1qez8dczsvllq

Man, I continue to love me some Chip with the media. (And this means absolutely zero about how I feel about Kaepernick).
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#515 » by zman1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:44 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:49ers' Chip Kelly shuts down reporter whining about Colin Kaepernick

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/reporter-chip-kelly-colin-kaepernick-49ers-press-conference-lowell-cohn/86ric7bzumtc1qez8dczsvllq

Man, I continue to love me some Chip with the media. (And this means absolutely zero about how I feel about Kaepernick).

Masterful.
aaronlindstrom
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#516 » by aaronlindstrom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:52 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:49ers' Chip Kelly shuts down reporter whining about Colin Kaepernick

Ugh. Cohn. :banghead:
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#517 » by Jikkle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:10 pm

Considering the rep that he couldn't connect with players especially black players this is a really good look for him and should endear him more to the locker room.

It's still a question if Kelly has made the tweaks needed to be successful on the football field but for now it appears Kelly off the field has been fixed.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#518 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Read on Twitter
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#519 » by NinerSickness » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:36 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think they're trying to keep all this stuff in the Nat' anthem thread.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#520 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Reading the coach speak it translates into "When he's ready, he's in."

My guess is after the Cardinals game since that's on a Thurs. So it's a mini bye for him to have a couple of extra days to get ready.

Return to San Francisco 49ers