ImageImageImage

Braves officially hire Brian Snitker as Manager....

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Braves officially hire Brian Snitker as Manager.... 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:44 pm

ESPN is saying Snitker has been named Manager for the 2017 season with an option for 2018. I really don't understand this, why such a short deal?? Really don't want to see them hire another manager 1-3 yrs down the road. Should have went with Bud Black. We need a long term answer, not a short term. I hope Coppy didn't make this hire on his own, John S and John Hart both favor Black and have long time connections to him.

Washington has been hired as 3b coach, Bo Porter named special assistant to Coppy. 1 year deals picked up for Pendleton, Seitzer and Perez.

I really don't understand the short deals. I''m going to be really pissed if we are hiring a manager again in two years and so will most of Braves fans.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,105

Re: Braves officially hire Brian Snitker as Manager.... 

Post#2 » by JDR720 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:39 pm

im guessing the short deals is to see how they do next season.

we want to be competitive next year, and if we arne't they will be gone. pretty simple IMO.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:55 pm

JDR720 wrote:im guessing the short deals is to see how they do next season.

we want to be competitive next year, and if we arne't they will be gone. pretty simple IMO.

I get that, but why not hire Black or Washington as Manager? That way you don't have to hire someone else in 1-3 yrs. Doesn't make sense to me. Seems like Snit is still basically interim, you do good next season, we may extend you. I would just rather hire someone who will be here the next 3-5 seasons and or longer.
If we fail to make the playoffs next yr, and they move on from Snitker, that will not look good to the fan base hiring our 3rd manager in 6 yrs since Bobby retired. We need stability at the manager position.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:

I get that, but why not hire Black or Washington as Manager?

I think that the vets supporting Snitker so heavily -- played a role.

And I suspect Washington coming aboard on the managerial staff is just in case they need to make a change mid-season to a more experienced hand.

They covered all bases...keep the players happy, the culture the same, but have a backup plan for a veteran coach should things go badly.

What's the opposite of a 'Vote of Confidence' ?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

I get that, but why not hire Black or Washington as Manager?

I think that the vets supporting Snitker so heavily -- played a role.

And I suspect Washington coming aboard on the managerial staff is just in case they need to make a change mid-season to a more experienced hand.

They covered all bases...keep the players happy, the culture the same, but have a backup plan for a veteran coach should things go badly.

What's the opposite of a 'Vote of Confidence' ?

Steve Adams agrees with you:

From everything that came out regarding Snitker late in the season and in the weeks since it's ended (lots of good stuff from the AJC, MLB.com and other places), it sounds like Snitker decisively won the respect of every player in that locker room. We follow tons of players on Twitter, and guys that have played for him in the minors -- Peter Moylan comes to mind as one example but there are others I'm blanking on -- have rushed to commend the move. He sounds respected, well-liked by younger and older players and clearly has a great rapport with the front office. Seems like a recipe for a good manager.
3:16 As for Washington, I don't love his in-game decisions as a manager but I think he brings tons of enthusiasm and knowledge to the staff. Seems like a strong add. Danny Valencia and a couple of other A's players are already lamenting the loss, but it's nice for Wash to be closer to his family in New Orleans.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:51 pm

J Schultz at the AJC offers a bemused, yet cynical look at the signing:

The Braves love Brian Snitker...They’re just not sure about the marriage thing, yet. One year plus a club option for a new manager: That’s more like being pinned than engaged.

[R]egardless of how next season unfolds, this is one of sports’ ultimate feel-good stories. Snitker has played, coached, managed, instructed and probably laundered and cooked for one organization since 1977.

BUT It was only two years ago when the Braves’ front office, looking for a scapegoat after an early playoff exit in 2013, sent Snitker from coaching third base in the majors to managing their Triple A team in Gwinnett. So yes, this is a strange and unexpected hire

What we don’t know – and the Braves can’t know, which explains the short term contract – is the impact Snitker will have over the course of a full season...the truth is the Braves won a lot of meaningless games at a time when the season had long been lost. And the level of scrutiny will be higher next season.
Here
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:14 pm

The players really stepped up to bat (no pun intended) for Snitker. I think the fans had something to do with this too: for the most part, I've been hearing fans clamoring to give Snit a chance without the interim tag. Had they brought in another manager, he would've already started off on the wrong foot with the fans given how popular Snitker was/is. That's not what the front office wants heading into the new ballpark.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#8 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:53 pm

ATL Boy wrote:The players really stepped up to bat (no pun intended) for Snitker. I think the fans had something to do with this too: for the most part, I've been hearing fans clamoring to give Snit a chance without the interim tag. Had they brought in another manager, he would've already started off on the wrong foot with the fans given how popular Snitker was/is. That's not what the front office wants heading into the new ballpark.

I'm not so sure of that. And I'm not trying to bash Snit here, if he's manager that's fine. Yes I've made it known I wanted Black, but I don't hate Snit at all. I just don't like how they worked out the deals. To me it's we'll give you a 1-2 season try out and see where things are at then. I don't want to see them hire another manager in a season or two, I think a more long term/consistency is needed at the manager position.
It's kind of like the Orlando Magic, a team that I've been a fan of for a long time and is also going thru a rebuild. It doesn't look good to the fans that we are now on our 3rd head coach since Van Gundy was fired 5 yrs ago. However I am really glad we have Vogel now. And just like the Magic now have, I would like to see a more long term solution at manager for the Braves.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 am

The Rockies continue to show interest in Perez and Porter for their manager opening.

Ron Washington was confident he would get the manager job with the Braves after his interview. But is still happy to take our 3rd base coach job and be closer to his home and family in New Orleans.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta-braves
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:04 pm

I never expected Snitker to become the manager after stepping in.
It's nothing against his managing skills but I always thought we'd have a better options. I wish him nothing but the best, but changing managers in a couple of seasons is something I prefer not to see, so I hope for success.

Return to Atlanta Braves