Texas Top 5 rankings

Moderator: studcrackers

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Texas Top 5 rankings 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Mon Sep 5, 2016 11:27 pm

Starting this week there should be five teams in the AP Top 25 from the State of Texas. Coming into the week the highest ranked was TCU, followed by Houston and Baylor. Those three teams scored wins along with unranked Texas & Texas A&M over ranked opponents.

For this first set of rankings there may be a bit of a homer alert going on, but judging from the attention from National media I'm going to have Houston leapfrog TCU to the top of the Texas rankings.

EDIT - making some major changes because I got something really, really wrong...

1. Houston (#15): 1-0, win over #3 Oklahoma. I'm going with Houston at #1 over TCU based upon the strength of the win. TCU, Baylor & Texas are all Big-12 schools, and Oklahoma was pretty much the consensus favorite to win that conference this season. Houston stepped right up and punched them in the mouth for the knockout. Going forward Houston's schedule is the weakest of everyone remaining, but as long as they win out then they are a legit contender for a playoff spot. Coach Herman has to keep them all focused for every remaining game.

2. Texas A&M: 1-0, win over #16 UCLA. I think that most assumed that this would be a win by UCLA, with the Aggies perhaps making a respectable showing. They ended up with a very impressive showing, outside of a 4th quarter which saw the Bruins come back from 15 down to go to overtime. Aggies took care of business after that to seal the win over a ranked opponent.

3. Texas: 1-0, win over #10 Notre Dame. A highly entertaining game, but one that did not leave us with a good perception of what we can expect from Texas this season. Offense doesn't appear to be a problem, but Defense may be an issue. It was still good enough to take down a ranked Notre Dame team (NBC must be upset!). After some down years the Longhorns might be back on track.

4. Baylor (#23): 1-0, win over unranked Northwestern State. Why did Baylor get dropped to #5 on this list? It wasn't as if they did anything wrong. Like TCU they did exactly what they were supposed to do by defeating a clearly overmatched opponent. Unlike TCU they actually took care of business. They just lose out this week because of the impressive nature of the other team wins.

5. TCU (#13): 1-0, win over San Diego State -edit, no South Dakota State. TCU did what they were supposed to do: beat their unranked, week #1 opponent. They put 59 points on them; however, they also gave up 41. Perhaps they were looking past this game and just not trying on the defense. They are now in the Big-12 driver's seat. It's crazy to think that we could see the eventual Big 12 champ having 2 losses. It's not outside of the realm of possibility in the improved conference. EDIT - I had it in my mind that SDSU was San Diego State when it was actually South Dakota State

I could really order 2-5 in any way after the first week. EDIT - changed all of this after realizing it was South Dakota State that TCU went up against. They were clearly the #5 team on the list with that in mind.TCU dropped after realizing who they actually played. Texas A&M could end up making noise in the SEC, or they could fall apart with disappointing performances. That whole conference may not be as strong (outside of Alabama) as previous years. Texas needs to prove consistency and Baylor needs to make a statement against a better team. Houston is the standout so far, but it was a good Week 1 from all 5.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Re: Texas Top 5 rankings 

Post#2 » by bleu » Tue Sep 6, 2016 12:48 am

TCU didn't play San Diego State, the 11-3 2015 Mountain West Conference champion. They played, and narrowly beat, FCS South Dakota State. I don't think they should drop out or anything like that, but a top 15 team shouldn't let an FCS team come within two scores. I frankly wouldn't put A&M in either, but they are in the SEC so I'd be shocked if they aren't.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Tue Sep 6, 2016 12:53 am

It wasn't San Diego State???

Thank god I don't do this for a living! :lol:

Yeah, that's much, much worse. I'm altering my rankings.
- Winston Churchill
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by bleu » Tue Sep 6, 2016 1:05 am

Mr. E wrote:It wasn't San Diego State???

Thank god I don't do this for a living! :lol:

Yeah, that's much, much worse. I'm altering my rankings.

Haha, it's a fair mistake if you didn't actually watch the game. Both are SDSU, and it certainly wouldn't be expected that South Dakota State could have hung in there with TCU. I do think TCU will be just fine and will still have a solid season, but their defense really needs some help. There's no reason they should give up 40+ to an FCS team.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#5 » by El Turco » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:17 pm

i think a&m was close to a touchdown favorite over ucla
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: Texas Top 5 rankings 

Post#6 » by bleu » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:55 pm

Arda K wrote:i think a&m was close to a touchdown favorite over ucla

Yeah, and it was in College Station at which is an enormous home field advantage
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#7 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 6:50 pm

I'd say Houston 1, Texas 2, Aggies 3 Baylor 4 and TCU 5 right now.

For the first time in awhile Texas just appeared to have it, they actually appear like they will make some noise in CFB again.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Mr. E » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:54 am

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:I'd say Houston 1, Texas 2, Aggies 3 Baylor 4 and TCU 5 right now.

For the first time in awhile Texas just appeared to have it, they actually appear like they will make some noise in CFB again.

I think that they jumped too high in the rankings this week, but that is not what is important. It does appear as if Charlie Strong has successfully changed the culture that has existed at UT for far too long.
- Winston Churchill
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by bleu » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:43 am

It's so hard to take much away from just one week of play, and these rankings don't mean a thing anyways. But I personally think Texas is ranked waaaaaaay too high. I'd be very surprised if they wind up in the top 25 at the end of the season.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Mr. E » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:53 pm

bleu wrote:It's so hard to take much away from just one week of play, and these rankings don't mean a thing anyways. But I personally think Texas is ranked waaaaaaay too high. I'd be very surprised if they wind up in the top 25 at the end of the season.

I still think that Oklahoma is going to win the Big 12. They could very well run the table.

I'm preparing myself for the Bowl committee to snub Houston in favor of a 1-loss Oklahoma team. :banghead:
- Winston Churchill
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by bleu » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Mr. E wrote:
bleu wrote:It's so hard to take much away from just one week of play, and these rankings don't mean a thing anyways. But I personally think Texas is ranked waaaaaaay too high. I'd be very surprised if they wind up in the top 25 at the end of the season.

I still think that Oklahoma is going to win the Big 12. They could very well run the table.

I'm preparing myself for the Bowl committee to snub Houston in favor of a 1-loss Oklahoma team. :banghead:

I think OU could well run the tables in Big 12 play, but I don't see them beating Ohio State next week. That's gonna be a helluva game though.

Houston on the other hand, absolutely has to run the tables to get any playoff consideration. That Louisville game might prove to be a huuuuuuge game.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Mr. E » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:30 am

bleu wrote:I think OU could well run the tables in Big 12 play, but I don't see them beating Ohio State next week. That's gonna be a helluva game though.

Houston on the other hand, absolutely has to run the tables to get any playoff consideration. That Louisville game might prove to be a huuuuuuge game.

I didn't realize that they played OSU next week! That will be a huge game.

And you are right that Houston has to run the table. Louisville will be tough, as will a couple others. I think that we are going to see just how well Tom Herman can keep the team focused week in and week out.

I'm convinced that their true freshman, Ed Oliver, is going to be a top 5 NFL draft pick in 3 years.
- Winston Churchill
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by bleu » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:35 am

Mr. E wrote:
I didn't realize that they played OSU next week! That will be a huge game.

And you are right that Houston has to run the table. Louisville will be tough, as will a couple others. I think that we are going to see just how well Tom Herman can keep the team focused week in and week out.

I'm convinced that their true freshman, Ed Oliver, is going to be a top 5 NFL draft pick in 3 years.

I'm proudly riding the Houston bandwagon this season, I would absolutely love to see all the powerhouse conference/teams fans have a cow because a G5 team is in the playoff. With a ranking this high, this early though it would be very difficult to keep them out if they win out.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Mr. E » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:41 am

Week 2:

No changes to the top 5. Basically they all did what they had to do (except one).

1. Houston - did what they were supposed to do.
2. Texas A&M - did what they were supposed to do.
3. Texas - did what they were supposed to do.
4. Baylor - did what they were supposed to do.
5. TCU - did NOT! That was a great game, but for the second straight week a #15 team fell to an unranked foe. Congrats, Arkansas!

I'd really like to drop TCU from the Top 5, but there's no one else at this moment whom I could justify making the leap. Everyone else stayed the same even though a lot of you liked Texas over A&M. They're pretty interchangeable for me.

Other that that exciting TCU/Arkansas game, a very ho-hum week for the Lone Star State.
- Winston Churchill
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#15 » by studcrackers » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:46 am

the baylor game might've been interesting if smu's qb didnt get out for the year
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by bleu » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:53 am

I'm actually surprised that TCU is still receiving so many votes. They're one of the first teams out of the Top 25, I didn't think they'd get more than a few.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by bleu » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:30 pm

Seems like a fitting time to bump this thread now that there are no teams from Texas in the AP top 25
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#18 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:30 am

I was way off, when I said Texas was appearing to make noise in CFB this year I should have said because they are going to fire there coach after another awful season. Wow tough year for Texas teams.
BullseyeBond
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#19 » by BullseyeBond » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Here is my end of the season Texas FBS team rankings:

1. Baylor Bears
2. Texas A&M Aggies
3. Houston Cougars
4. TCU Horned Frogs
5. Texas Longhorns
6. Texas Tech Red Raiders