Top QB options

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Re: RE: Re: Top QB options 

Post#41 » by patryk7754 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:46 pm

City of Trees wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:When i mentioned Mahomes arm strength I was referring to the zip he puts on the ball. It takes too long for the ball to get to where it's going.

Mahomes can sling it. I dont see how you can knock his arm?

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

Most of what I've seen shows that when he passes from the pocket to the sidelines the ball takes its time to get to the receiver. I guess I'm looking at different videos but he did look pretty good in the Baylor tape.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#42 » by CjayC » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:44 pm

City of Trees wrote:
So I've read up on Mahomes and I like him as a prospect, maybe the most out of all QB's in the draft. Sad part is it looks like he's shooting up draft boards and at the moment is a lock to go top 20. I'm sure he will kill it at the combine with his arm strength, accuracy, and athleticism so I dont anticipate his stock falling out of the 1st. Plus, there are close to 10 teams who have a need to start grooming their next qb.

So, Chicago, "if" Mahomes is your guy, DO you trade back 4 spots or so to draft him?

I'd have to think hard about. I really want one of the defensive talents available at #3, but trading down should give us plenty of ammo to make another move.

I think we should also be asking if we should be trade UP into the 1st round to get him should they keep the #3 pick. If we can do it for a 2nd and a 3rd, I'd have to think hard about it. We're picking a QB anyways, so it comes down to if you value that high 3rd or not when there's some nice value left. If he's any good(Big IF) though I don't think we'd be crying over that 3rd.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Top QB options 

Post#43 » by City of Trees » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:03 am

If the Bears wanted to trade up they could use the 2nd and both 4ths, that gets them #24-#25 range.

patryk7754
General Manager

Post#44 » by patryk7754 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Just read that the 49ers are expected to pursue Cousins if he doesn't get tagged again
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,326

Post#45 » by fleet » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:07 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Just read that the 49ers are expected to pursue Cousins if he doesn't get tagged again

I reading into this effort they intend to draft Allen. If your source is good.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#46 » by patryk7754 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:19 pm

[qbuote="fleet"]
patryk7754 wrote:Just read that the 49ers are expected to pursue Cousins if he doesn't get tagged again

I reading into this effort they intend to draft Allen. If your source is good.[/quote]
It was a bleacher report notification. Also read that the pats are willing to trade Jimmy but are expected to to want at least a First
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#47 » by patryk7754 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm

According to rapaport, the browns are expected to pursue Jimmy. That means that there's a possibility of The browns and 49ers both having their QBs by draft time.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#48 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:52 pm

So we have to get Cousins or Garoppolo before the Browns and 49ers can.

We've made a couple trades with the Patriots, Bostic and Bennett. Hopefully that helps.

Wasn't Shanahan still in DC for at least a season while Cousins was there? That connection might make SF more attractive than Chicago to Cousins.

Not only did Garoppolo grow up near Chicago, he also went to the same University as Pace. Hopefully those factors, our trade history with the Patriots, our familiarity through joint practices, and the fact that the Browns are a division rival to the Patriots, helps the Patriots and Garoppolo lean more towards Chicago in a trade.

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:59 pm

Trevor Rosenthal's top free agents of the year:

1. Leveon Bell
2. Eric Berry
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Kawan Short
5. Chandler Jones
6. Alshon Jeffery

Berry, Cousins, Short and Jeffery would all fill huge needs for us. They would still leave glaring holes at OT and CB.

If we are fortunate enough to land Berry, Short and retain Jeffery, I think that would cost us about $30-35M a year. Cousins is probably another $20-22.5M/yr.

If we trade for Garoppolo wed probably extend him to a contract worth about $15-20M/yr, based on what Osweiler got.

This could be a very expensive and exciting off season.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:06 pm

I think most teams will end up ranking Garrett #1 and Allen #2. But if SF or CLE don't get Cousins/Garoppolo then they will reach to fill the need.

That means we need to make sure one of them DOES NOT fill that qb need before the draft. We MUST get Garoppolo or Cousins so one of these two reaches on a QB.

That would mean that not only do we get one of the two best QBs available, we'd also steal one of the top two prospects, and hopefully come away with Allen.

patryk7754
General Manager

Post#51 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Nathan Peterman is Great Sleeper Quarterback Target for Chicago Bears in 2017 NFL Draft - FanSided
https://apple.news/APzHTE-1qMf-ilziq4dEWBg
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#52 » by City of Trees » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Nathan Peterman is Great Sleeper Quarterback Target for Chicago Bears in 2017 NFL Draft - FanSided

I'll check him out

chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,955

Post#53 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:59 am

patryk7754 wrote:Nathan Peterman is Great Sleeper Quarterback Target for Chicago Bears in 2017 NFL Draft - FanSided

I dont know if i would count him as a sleeper simply because Fox is coaching him in the senior bowl . They would have to take him believing he could be THE guy and Im not sure they are ready ti put any qb in the draft in that position ,.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#54 » by City of Trees » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:44 am

Aaron Leming providing perspective on bodies of work Image

patryk7754
General Manager

Post#55 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:24 am

The difference is that wentz and especially newton were significantly better. The lack of experience doesn't really bother me because great QBs are great from the jump usually in college.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#56 » by CjayC » Wed Feb 1, 2017 3:06 am

Newton was clearly better IMO. Wentz wasn't that much of better prospect for me at least, besides playing in a pro style offense that gave him a bit of control. Newton is a legit #1, Wentz and Trubisky are guys that get elevated to the top because of need.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#57 » by Axxo » Thu Feb 2, 2017 4:50 pm

patryk7754 wrote:[qbuote="fleet"]

It was a bleacher report notification. Also read that the pats are willing to trade Jimmy but are expected to to want at least a First

I wouldn't give up our 1st for him. Bears could trade back to 6th like you mentioned earlier for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd or 4th and then trade one of the 2nd's to NE for Jimmy. Other than it makes sense that the Browns may get him for their #12 or the Texans at #25 might trade for him. We have too many needs to give up a #3 unless we get depth in return.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#58 » by patryk7754 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 6:46 pm

Axxo wrote:

I wouldn't give up our 1st for him. Bears could trade back to 6th like you mentioned earlier for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd or 4th and then trade one of the 2nd's to NE for Jimmy. Other than it makes sense that the Browns may get him for their #12 or the Texans at #25 might trade for him. We have too many needs to give up a #3 unless we get depth in return.

QB is our biggest need.

I think it would be without a doubt that if Garoppolo was coming out of the draft he'd be the number ranked player on everyone's board so I can't really sneeze at the idea of giving a top pick up for him in a trade. The only thing is you shouldn't be giving up something like that in a trade since player value in trades are so low in the NFL.

I don't think Garoppolo gets traded for a first unless it's for a later first. You mentioned the the Texans I think the Broncos will be in play as well. The browns might think about giving the 12th. And if Palmer retires, which it looks like he will, they might trade the 13th for him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#59 » by City of Trees » Thu Feb 2, 2017 6:58 pm

25 year old rookie going #1? He'd be 26 before his rookie season was over. Sounds like that Florida St. Qb all over again

Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#60 » by Axxo » Thu Feb 2, 2017 7:41 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
Axxo wrote:

QB is our biggest need.

I think it would be without a doubt that if Garoppolo was coming out of the draft he'd be the number ranked player on everyone's board so I can't really sneeze at the idea of giving a top pick up for him in a trade. The only thing is you shouldn't be giving up something like that in a trade since player value in trades are so low in the NFL.

I don't think Garoppolo gets traded for a first unless it's for a later first. You mentioned the the Texans I think the Broncos will be in play as well. The browns might think about giving the 12th. And if Palmer retires, which it looks like he will, they might trade the 13th for him.

On 2nd thought cap space might be an issue for the Texans b/c of Brock's contract. Which probably means they would get a QB in the draft.

We do need a QB, but I'd be fine with taking one in the 2nd or 3rd round as a project.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Return to Chicago Bears