Image Image Image Image

Top QB options

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Re: Top QB options 

Post#61 » by patryk7754 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 8:16 pm

The list of suitors for New England Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo continues to grow.

The Chicago Bears will make a "strong, concerted effort" to acquire Garoppolo from the Patriots, sources told Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com.

The Cleveland Browns are also reportedly interested in the young pivot, with teams like the New York Jets and San Francisco 49ers expected to join the pursuit if he's made available.

Got it in a notification and don't know how to post the link.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#62 » by City of Trees » Thu Feb 2, 2017 8:45 pm

My notification said Jimmy G is by far on top of the Bears off-season priority list... f me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#63 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Feb 2, 2017 9:34 pm

Bears portion of article
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here-are-the-front-runners-to-land-garoppolo-romo-in-nfls-qb-shuffle/

Many teams view Garoppolo as the best option of all potential free-agent or trade targets, and the Bears will have competition. Teams like the Browns, Jets and 49ers could provide opposition, but the Bears' intent and willingness to complete a trade could not be more serious. Quarterback is an acute need -- the Bears are moving on from Jay Cutler -- and jobs are on the line there after two poor seasons from the John Fox and Ryan Pace regime. The Bears have abundant draft picks they could trade -- including picks in the top three of each round -- and while rival executives do not believe the Patriots will land a first-round pick that high via trade, a package including multiple high second-round picks is quite possible. Furthermore, trading Garoppolo out of the AFC would appeal to the Patriots, who expect him to prosper elsewhere.

The Bears have done extensive work on Garoppolo and are very comfortable with him. He shined in the preseason and was exceptional filling in for Tom Brady during his four-game suspension and has strong roots to that community. He played at Eastern Illinois, where Pace played as well. Romo, Mike Shanahan and Saints coach Sean Payton are also Eastern Illinois products; Pace and Payton worked together in New Orleans and were very high on Garoppolo coming out of college.

The Bears are prepared to engage in talks on Garoppolo at the combine later this month, or sooner if need be. Trades cannot be officially consummated, however, until the league year begins in March. The Bears acknowledge it will be difficult to land much of anything for Cutler, with other teams preferring to not trade for him and instead wait for him to be cut to then sign him to a cheaper contract, though a suitor could emerge.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#64 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Feb 3, 2017 1:14 am

I wish we had a better OC for a new QB to build a system with. Not sold on Loggains long-term.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#65 » by patryk7754 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 2:19 am

City of Trees wrote:My notification said Jimmy G is by far on top of the Bears off-season priority list... f me.

I think that's a good thing. The Patriots aren't going to get multiple 1st for him or anything like that. I think whoever gets him gets the most valuable piece in this offseason
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#66 » by patryk7754 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 2:21 am

I don't get why you guys would be willing to use a 1st on guys like trubisky or mchomesbut not Garoppolo
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: Top QB options 

Post#67 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 3, 2017 2:32 am

patryk7754 wrote:I don't get why you guys would be willing to use a 1st on guys like trubisky or mchomesbut not Garoppolo

Im not taking any qb at 3! If the Bears trade down I'd consider Mahomes (no longer a Trubisky believer).

Why draft Mahomes in the 1st instead of trade a 1st for Jimmy? Mahomes is 4 years younger, 1 inch taller, more mobile, stronger arm, and has a higher ceiling. Jimmy G, in his two starts, was only able to finish one of them. Also, ask yourself this question: With Tom Brady being 40 years old, why is Bill B. trading his 25 year old QB if he's supposed to be a franchise qb? Furthermore, when do the Patriots ever lose in a big trade like this? Something doesn't add up here and my take is Belichick knows Jimmy G is not the QB he wants when Brady retires (which is very soon), so why not get a 1st rnd pick from a willing team.

patryk7754
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: Top QB options. 

Post#68 » by patryk7754 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 3:38 am

City of Trees wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:I don't get why you guys would be willing to use a 1st on guys like trubisky or mchomesbut not Garoppolo

Im not taking any qb at 3! If the Bears trade down I'd consider Mahomes (no longer a Trubisky believer).

Why draft Mahomes in the 1st instead of trade a 1st for Jimmy? Mahomes is 4 years younger, 1 inch taller, more mobile, stronger arm, and has a higher ceiling. Jimmy G, in his two starts, was only able to finish one of them. Also, ask yourself this question: With Tom Brady being 40 years old, why is Bill B. trading his 25 year old QB if he's supposed to be a franchise qb? Furthermore, when do the Patriots ever lose in a big trade like this? Something doesn't add up here and my take is Belichick knows Jimmy G is not the QB he wants when Brady retires (which is very soon), so why not get a 1st rnd pick from a willing team.

Garoppolo definitely has a stronger arm. Considering Mahomes has below average NFL passing skills and Garoppolo has at least has average so I wouldn't say he has a higher ceiling. You say Garoppolo is 25 but that's not a bad thing. 9/10 times you want your QB to spend time on the bench (I believe Rodgers was about the same age). Their probably willing to trade Garoppolo because Brady will play at least two or three more years as the level he's at now and Jimmy expires after next season. Belichick isn't going to pay a backup several million dollars. Also, just because Belichick doesn't lose trades doesn't mean the other team can also win in the trade. I don't think the Browns lost by trading a third rounder for Jamie Collins, one of the best defenders in the NFL. I don't think the Cardinals lost by trading a bust in Cooper and a 2nd for chandler jones, one of the best defenders in the NFL. I don't think Belichick being willing to trade Garoppolo means that he doesn't think he's a franchise QB. He's probably just not willing to miss out on getting valuable picks for a guy who isn't going to resign with the Patriots because he's going to get an 80mil offer and Belichick isn't going to give that to a back up
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#69 » by patryk7754 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 3:50 am

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Top QB options. 

Post#70 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 3, 2017 4:56 am

patryk7754 wrote:Garoppolo definitely has a stronger arm. Considering Mahomes has below average NFL passing skills and Garoppolo has at least has average so I wouldn't say he has a higher ceiling.
Mahomes is a 21yr old qb with tons of potential, you can't label him yet. Also, agree to disagree on arm strength. No way I side with Jimmy G's arm.

Their probably willing to trade Garoppolo because Brady will play at least two or three more years as the level he's at now and Jimmy expires after next season.
calculated risk by Belichick? Or, I'm going to laugh my ass off if he drafts Mahomes with the pick he gets for Jimmy G.

Also, just because Belichick doesn't lose trades doesn't mean the other team can also win in the trade. I don't think the Browns lost by trading a third rounder for Jamie Collins, one of the best defenders in the NFL. I don't think the Cardinals lost by trading a bust in Cooper and a 2nd for chandler jones, one of the best defenders in the NFL.
IMO those trades are different for two reasons, 1: none of those positions were QB, and 2: Belichick Tried to resign all of those players, to which he ended up trading because they asked for more money than they were willing to pay. Patriots haven't tried to resign Jimmy G, they're straight dumping him. Red flag in my eyes.

I don't think Belichick being willing to trade Garoppolo means that he doesn't think he's a franchise QB. He's probably just not willing to miss out on getting valuable picks for a guy who isn't going to resign with the Patriots because he's going to get an 80mil offer and Belichick isn't going to give that to a back up
You might be right but Bill has always done things with a 'team first' approach.... Bill spent a 2nd on Garoppolo for a reason, he's next in line, Brady is 40 years old, 'team first' doesn't say trade Garoppolo leaving your team with no QB to turn to after next season when 41 year old Brady retires.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#71 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 3, 2017 5:01 am

patryk7754 wrote:

I don't see a franchise QB. I'd rather sign Hoyer and keep the draft pick.

His accuracy is inconsistent, his ball placement can get loose, and when he has to move his feet due to pressure his ball can get ugly. With little time he has played it looks like he has a hard time making some intermediate throws.

He does throw a nice ball when he can plant his foot and he has time. When not under pressure his mechanics are good. Good footwork. Quick release

I'd give up a 3rd for him. Nothing higher.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#72 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 3, 2017 5:30 am

And i didnt even go into the history of: N.E. Back-up QB U

But, hey, if the Bears trade for JG I'm going to root for him.

chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Feb 3, 2017 7:22 am

City of Trees wrote:

none of this

4 years younger, 1 inch taller, more mobile, stronger arm, and has a higher ceiling. Jimmy G, in his two starts, was only able to finish one of them

matters

if you think Jimmy is your guy then you get him and what gives Mahomes a higher ceiling ? being younger doesnt in anyway shape or form mean you will be better or progress further than the older guy .

Brady plans on playing several more years and the Patriots know right now they are not going to pay Jimmy starters money to sit behind Brady. It has nothing to do with Belichek not wanting him the patriots system dictate they move him rather than pay him period . The will use those assets to strengthen the team around brady and try and continue to win titles

This is what Shanahan had to say about when he scouted Jimmy back when they took Manziel

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/02/kyle-shanahan-gives-scouting-report-on-jimmy-garoppolo/

“He was a very good thrower,” Shanahan said. “Tough guy, kept his eyes down the field, could get rid of the ball fast. Really liked the person. Had a chance to go out to dinner with him and stuff. He played at Eastern Illinois, and it was a different type of offense where you can’t always evaluate with how quick they get rid of the ball. But I really thought he was a very intelligent, tough player with a good throwing motion.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/could-jimmy-garoppolo-come-home-as-the-bears-next-starting-qb/

Pace said last week that he looks for three things in a quarterback.

“It’s your football intelligence, it’s your accuracy and it’s your ability to quickly process,” he said.

Garoppolo has shown all three — but in a limited audition.

“He’s learned how to be a professional,” said Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, whose brother Ben is a Bears offensive assistant. “He’s learned how to approach this game. He now understands how difficult it is to be good.

“That’s an important thing for a young player — to cross that line and figure out, ‘It’s not going to come easy to me anymore.’ ”

Again nothing is 100% a sure thing but I think you are selling Jimmy short here and you simply cannot compare Jimmy who by most was considered a late 1st to 3rd pick to 6th rd pick Cassell who backed up Palmer and Leinart at USC.

I also think you simply cant dismiss the value of qb being able to sit and learn a couple of years behind Brady while being schooled by McDaniels especially when the Pats run one of the most sophisticated systems in the league.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#74 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 10:00 am

As long as they don't give up any 1st round picks, I'll be okay with it.

I suppose two 2nds wouldn't be bad or maybe a 2nd and a 3rd.

One thing I worry about with him is the pressure of being the home town kid, and the "savior" at a position this franchise has never been able to get right. Being a QB is hard enough.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Top QB options 

Post#75 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 12:14 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

none of this

4 years younger, 1 inch taller, more mobile, stronger arm, and has a higher ceiling. Jimmy G, in his two starts, was only able to finish one of them

matters

if you think Jimmy is your guy then you get him and what gives Mahomes a higher ceiling ? being younger doesnt in anyway shape or form mean you will be better or progress further than the older guy .

Brady plans on playing several more years and the Patriots know right now they are not going to pay Jimmy starters money to sit behind Brady. It has nothing to do with Belichek not wanting him the patriots system dictate they move him rather than pay him period . The will use those assets to strengthen the team around brady and try and continue to win titles

This is what Shanahan had to say about when he scouted Jimmy back when they took Manziel

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/02/kyle-shanahan-gives-scouting-report-on-jimmy-garoppolo/

“He was a very good thrower,” Shanahan said. “Tough guy, kept his eyes down the field, could get rid of the ball fast. Really liked the person. Had a chance to go out to dinner with him and stuff. He played at Eastern Illinois, and it was a different type of offense where you can’t always evaluate with how quick they get rid of the ball. But I really thought he was a very intelligent, tough player with a good throwing motion.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/could-jimmy-garoppolo-come-home-as-the-bears-next-starting-qb/

Pace said last week that he looks for three things in a quarterback.

“It’s your football intelligence, it’s your accuracy and it’s your ability to quickly process,” he said.

Garoppolo has shown all three — but in a limited audition.

“He’s learned how to be a professional,” said Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, whose brother Ben is a Bears offensive assistant. “He’s learned how to approach this game. He now understands how difficult it is to be good.

“That’s an important thing for a young player — to cross that line and figure out, ‘It’s not going to come easy to me anymore.’ ”

Again nothing is 100% a sure thing but I think you are selling Jimmy short here and you simply cannot compare Jimmy who by most was considered a late 1st to 3rd pick to 6th rd pick Cassell who backed up Palmer and Leinart at USC.

I also think you simply cant dismiss the value of qb being able to sit and learn a couple of years behind Brady while being schooled by McDaniels especially when the Pats run one of the most sophisticated systems in the league.

I agree with all of this. And you have to consider Garoppolo came out in a pretty good QB draft class. There were guys who were proven to be good at bigger programs.

Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr. QB needy teams wouldn't take anap FCS qb that high with those guys on the board.

Mahomes is coming out in a weak class. Guys tend to get overvalued when that happens.

Then consider that they also have Jacoby Brissett and he is pretty damn good too. He was my favorite qb the year he came out. They will have a serviceable backup even if they trade Garoppolo

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#76 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 3, 2017 2:25 pm

Height comes into play with QB when you're in they 6- 6'2 range, gotta see over those big blockers.

As for everyone else liking Garoppolo over another QB, that's fine thats your opinion. Personally I'm Not a believer.

Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#77 » by Axxo » Fri Feb 3, 2017 2:41 pm

City of Trees wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:

I don't see a franchise QB. I'd rather sign Hoyer and keep the draft pick.

His accuracy is inconsistent, his ball placement can get loose, and when he has to move his feet due to pressure his ball can get ugly. With little time he has played it looks like he has a hard time making some intermediate throws.

He does throw a nice ball when he can plant his foot and he has time. When not under pressure his mechanics are good. Good footwork. Quick release

I'd give up a 3rd for him. Nothing higher.

I think a 3rd is reasonable. SF or the Browns will probably beat us out though.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Feb 3, 2017 3:24 pm

I wouldnt use the 3rd overall on any qb but I would trade 2 2nd rounders if we traded down and added extra picks

Return to Chicago Bears