ImageImageImageImage

would you trade romo and #1 for jj watt?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 85

would you trade romo and #1 for jj watt? 

Post#1 » by shagadelic45 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:01 pm

a rumor that's been floating around is romo and dallas #1 for JJ......what do you guys think of that?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: would you trade romo and #1 for jj watt? 

Post#2 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:55 pm

shagadelic45 wrote:a rumor that's been floating around is romo and dallas #1 for JJ......what do you guys think of that?

As I mentioned on the General forum... No way in hell the Cowboys do that. I'm pretty certain Stephen, McClay and Red Ball would all choke Jerry simultaneously.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 2, 2017 5:49 pm

I would trade Romo straight up for J.J. Watt, but not give up our number 1 draft choice. Watt has been battered and banged up the past few years himself. I think we have seen the best of both players. Its risky business to take a chance on either player imho. Now that Palmer appears to be heading out of Arizona, I'd like to make a deal that would give us an extra draft pick to be quite honest.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#4 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 7, 2017 5:54 am

I would do it for Watt straight up but I agree I definitely wouldn't include a pick.

We should know more after March 9th.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 8, 2017 3:56 am

I just thought it was a slap in the face offer on their part. After all, Minnesota gave up a first and 4th round pick for Bradford.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 8, 2017 1:06 pm

If they are capable of trading him rather than cutting him, there are plenty of better deals (i.e.; draft picks) to be had than straight up "guy with back issues" for a guy with back issues. And - we would not have to give up our #1 either. Teams that legitimately need a QB and little else need only look at that list of UFA QB's. It's ugly.

If he does get traded instead of released, I fully expect Jerry to be Jerry. The man can sell ice to Eskimos. Arizona, Houston... hell - even KC. Make a deal.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 8, 2017 11:48 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:If they are capable of trading him rather than cutting him, there are plenty of better deals (i.e.; draft picks) to be had than straight up "guy with back issues" for a guy with back issues. And - we would not have to give up our #1 either. Teams that legitimately need a QB and little else need only look at that list of UFA QB's. It's ugly.

If he does get traded instead of released, I fully expect Jerry to be Jerry. The man can sell ice to Eskimos. Arizona, Houston... hell - even KC. Make a deal.

I don't really agree with our assessment of Jerry, not when it comes to trades. Is he a great salesman? Sure, but the trades that he's pulled off he has gotten absolutely ass raped. I just hope that Will McClay or Stephen are in charge of trades now.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Feb 9, 2017 12:21 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:If they are capable of trading him rather than cutting him, there are plenty of better deals (i.e.; draft picks) to be had than straight up "guy with back issues" for a guy with back issues. And - we would not have to give up our #1 either. Teams that legitimately need a QB and little else need only look at that list of UFA QB's. It's ugly.

I don't really agree with our assessment of Jerry, not when it comes to trades. Is he a great salesman? Sure, but the trades that he's pulled off he has gotten absolutely ass raped. I just hope that Will McClay or Stephen are in charge of trades now.

You and I both know that when it comes to Romo, Jerry will manage that one. He's just that way.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:24 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:

You and I both know that when it comes to Romo, Jerry will manage that one. He's just that way.

Jerry has always had a flaw of being too loyal at times. As a person that's a great trait to have but as a GM it's a horrible trait to have. Jerry really does look at Romo as a son. Out of loyalty to Romo I would not put it past Jerry to prefer to just cut Romo. That way he can go sign with whoever he wants.

This is where my hope for Stephen or Will McClay come in. The Cowboys have a perfect opportunity to speed up the rebuilding of the defense. I don't think the Cowboys will be able to get a 1st or maybe even a 2nd round pick but I certainly think they can get a 3rd or multiple mid round picks. They need to do everything they can to get the best return for Romo. Stephen and McClay need to lock Jerry in a closet this off season and do for the defense what they've been doing for the offense.

Return to Dallas Cowboys