OT: LeBron as a Public Figure

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Re: OT: LeBron as a Public Figure 

Post#61 » by shawn_hemp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 am

Its really not that hard for urban minorities to get grants for college. They also get accepted to more schools, solely because they are poor and black
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#62 » by LivingLegend » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:18 am

shawn_hemp wrote:Its really not that hard for urban minorities to get grants for college. They also get accepted to more schools, solely because they are poor and black

How are you not banned?
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#63 » by shawn_hemp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:20 am

How is that racist? That's a real thing

http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/minority.htm
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#64 » by ItsThatEasy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:20 am

shawn_hemp wrote:You can do a thousand things right for some people, and they will only focus on the one thing you didn't do.

Seriously, what do black people have to complain about in the United States in 2017?

Lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#65 » by ItsThatEasy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:21 am

Mods, please get this guy the f*ck out of here, he's been ruining this thread since page 1.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#66 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:23 am

shawn_hemp wrote:You can do a thousand things right for some people, and they will only focus on the one thing you didn't do.

Seriously, what do black people have to complain about in the United States in 2017?

I hope this isn't a serious question, because if it is, that just shows your ignorance. :noway:

Or you might just be trolling and we're biting.
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#67 » by shawn_hemp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:25 am

I'm all ears
Wadzup
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#68 » by Wadzup » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:34 am

shawn_hemp wrote:Its really not that hard for urban minorities to get grants for college. They also get accepted to more schools, solely because they are poor and black

You realize LeBron's iPromise program is not a minority program, right? It's a program that is open to every single student who attends Akron City Schools, a district that is about 35 percent white.

In fact, Akron City Schools is one of the most diverse districts in Ohio as it also has large black (40 percent), Asian (10 percent and astronomically growing ... North High School is the only Asian majority high school in Ohio and some of the elementary schools in the city are over 50 percent Asian), multiracial (10 percent) and a smallish Latino (5 percent, but again growing) population.

The district has more than 20,000 students and, hypothetically, if every one of them meets the criteria needed, every last one of them will receive a full-ride scholarship to the University of Akron. Yes, the large majority of the students won't achieve the requirements, and yes, there are tax write-offs involved, but over a 30-40 year period, LeBron is banking on coming out of many millions of his own money.

Race has nothing to do with his scholarship program for anybody pushing that agenda.
jayjaypimpson
Pro Prospect
And1: 955

Post#69 » by jayjaypimpson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 am

When exactly do you think the United States stopped systematically oppressing it's black population? When MLK was assassinated, things just magically turned fair and just?

sheesh, there's plenty of info on systematic racism if you didn't have a disdain for education and black people.

how about, black people are fined and jailed twice as much for the exact same crimes as white people. As in, blacks and whites smoke pot at the same rates, but the former group is punished for it at a disproportionate rate while whites are given a slap on the wrist. The courts and cops are all complicit in economically oppressing black people, around the country.

stop & frisk
redlining
white supremacists infiltrating police nationwide
the drug war
school to prison pipeline

jeez, educated yourself
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#70 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:50 am

He couldn't even help Hillary win in his home state, but otherwise he's a good dude.
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#71 » by shawn_hemp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 am

Wadzup wrote:

You realize LeBron's iPromise program is not a minority program, right? It's a program that is open to every single student who attends Akron City Schools, a district that is about 35 percent white.

In fact, Akron City Schools is one of the most diverse districts in Ohio as it also has large black (40 percent), Asian (10 percent and astronomically growing ... North High School is the only Asian majority high school in Ohio and some of the elementary schools in the city are over 50 percent Asian), multiracial (10 percent) and a smallish Latino (5 percent, but again growing) population.

The district has more than 20,000 students and, hypothetically, if every one of them meets the criteria needed, every last one of them will receive a full-ride scholarship to the University of Akron. Yes, the large majority of the students won't achieve the requirements, and yes, there are tax write-offs involved, but over a 30-40 year period, LeBron is banking on coming out of many millions of his own money.

Race has nothing to do with his scholarship program for anybody pushing that agenda.

I cant really respond fully to this without completely getting racist but that point is fair enough.

I dont need people on the internet to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes is wrong.

jayjaypimpson wrote:When exactly do you think the United States stopped systematically oppressing it's black population? When MLK was assassinated, things just magically turned fair and just?

sheesh, there's plenty of info on systematic racism if you didn't have a disdain for education and black people.

how about, black people are fined and jailed twice as much for the exact same crimes as white people. As in, blacks and whites smoke pot at the same rates, but the former group is punished for it at a disproportionate rate while whites are given a slap on the wrist. The courts and cops are all complicit in economically oppressing black people, around the country.

stop & frisk
redlining
the drug war

jeez, educated yourself

Go to jail sometime and see if you still feel bad for the people you are defending

The system is a bitch, but to say people get trapped because someone is a certain race is nonsense. People get trapped because they dont ever try to get out of it, and it is easier to just live within the confines of it.

marijuana is all but decriminalized whether formally or informally in most urban areas. These people go to jail because they collect all the benefits that are supposed to help impoverished citizens while they sell drugs under the table and spend the money on clothes and Jordans (or LeBrons, a bit of irony there)

This is not racism, this is what they really do. Trust me.

But anyone who points out what really happens is automatically racist.

Race has nothing to do with it, but everyone keeps bringing it up. Its an environment thing, and there happens to be a lot of blacks who live there. Puerto Ricans are just as bad, although they tend to commit less violent crimes than blacks.

Why would I just make this up? To feel better about myself?
jayjaypimpson
Pro Prospect

Post#72 » by jayjaypimpson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:58 am

Most people in jail are in there for non violent crimes. You even admit you're racist. There's nothing anyone can tell you, clearly
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#73 » by shawn_hemp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:05 am

There isnt a whole lot different between being in jail and being on the block.

you can still get whatever drugs you want. you get to play cards, watch TV, or play basketball all day. odds are somebody you know is also there.

You get a guaranteed 3 meals a day and at least a warm place to sleep in. You get equipment to exercise on.

Jail isnt even that bad once you get a routine going

you cant have sex with women obviously, but that is the only major negative.

if you get money on your books, jail isnt ****
sharmaraps
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#74 » by sharmaraps » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:07 am

wow this thread has to officially be moved to CA
jayjaypimpson
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by jayjaypimpson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 am

Anyway, back to Bron. He's major. The fact that Rich Paul is his agent and not some good ol boy, it's cool. Try as they might, you can't deny his philanthropy work. He's never been in trouble; which probably would be forgive compared to other athletes who have well known gambling addictions or multiple rape cases... LeBron can just be sort of a jerk, which is like every human being ever.

His family is beautiful, seriously.

I can't wait to see what he does after his career, I'm sure he'll continue to captivate us. LeBron is awesome.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#76 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:22 am

ItsThatEasy wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I know its just me, but I don't care for players or entertainers getting to political. Of course it depends on the issue, but for the most part, I'd rather they just stick to the games.

Funny how people said the same about Ali during his career and now he's viewed as a national hero.

Bringing visibility to social injustice has no downside.

Wrong or right you start a dialogue and people are forced to talk about things they otherwise wouldn't.

But you're comparing apples to oranges though. Ali won the Sonny Liston fight when there were still Jim Crow laws. Ali stood up for what he believed while basically staring a prison sentence in the face and was suspended from his sport for 3 years. Majority of the time Ali spoke it received a ton of backlash from the main stream media.

Today when Lebron or anyone in entertainment makes a big political stance its met with almost universal applause from the main stream media and they arent risking their lively hoods.

I think there is a huge difference between the risks Ali took compared to what Lebron and other celebrities take now. I mean Meryl Streep was called brave for having an anti trump speech at an award show. Come on now thats not brave or against the grain.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#77 » by MisterHibachi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:27 am

shawn_hemp wrote:There isnt a whole lot different between being in jail and being on the block.

you can still get whatever drugs you want. you get to play cards, watch TV, or play basketball all day. odds are somebody you know is also there.

You get a guaranteed 3 meals a day and at least a warm place to sleep in. You get equipment to exercise on.

Jail isnt even that bad once you get a routine going

you cant have sex with women obviously, but that is the only major negative.

if you get money on your books, jail isnt ****

You gotta be trolling at this point.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#78 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:31 am

I think Lebron has done amazing things. The dude was marketed himself wonderfully, hasn't gotten into a single off court incident that I know of (criminal), doesn't have 5-6 baby mamas or anything like that. He has portrayed himself to be a model citizen. Now I'm not a fan of him because I don't like his personality, I think he has always come off as a little fake and just always seems to do things that just irk me the wrong way.

But with all that said you can't take away all the things he has done for the communities and how much he has given back. It also doesn't matter to me if all that stuff was just for making a better public image for himself or if it was sincere. To me that doesn't matter, kind of like Lance Armstrong, was he a lying assshole? Ya but that doesn't take away all the things he did for cancer even if it was for selfish reasons.

Im also not going to comment if hes a good guy or not because none of us have a clue, he could be a great guy and be a great family man or he can be Tiger Woods and we would never know.
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#79 » by ProfessorJM » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 am

shawn_hemp wrote:I'm not a fan of LeBron off the court to be honest.

He tries to act like some racial social justice warrior who defied the odds and now empowers young impoverished youth to do the same when in reality he won the genetic lottery and was driving an Escalade in high school because he can control a round object that much better than everyone else.

Charities are really just a way to not have to pay as much taxes. Sure, they help people, but they help the donors as well.

Once you have money it's easier to make money because you can take more risks.

And LeBron had a shoe deal before he ever played an NBA game

That's one perspective to be sure but another is that I think is that LeBron - like other athletes as well - regardless of motivation or intent, are undoubtedly positively impacting young lives and changing them for the better. A lot of people that are famous unfortunately only stay in their sphere and frankly don't do much else but I respect any athlete or other person with fame/and or a platform to influence that makes a difference in young lives. Bottom line is that LeBron (and of course other athletes) are in fact empowering young impoverished youth and the positive impact for me is the bottom line, intent be damned. Improving lives are improving lives.
Wadzup
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#80 » by Wadzup » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:36 am

shawn_hemp wrote:
Wadzup wrote:

I cant really respond fully to this without completely getting racist but that point is fair enough.

I dont need people on the internet to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes is wrong.

jayjaypimpson wrote:When exactly do you think the United States stopped systematically oppressing it's black population? When MLK was assassinated, things just magically turned fair and just?

stop & frisk
redlining
the drug war

jeez, educated yourself

Go to jail sometime and see if you still feel bad for the people you are defending

The system is a bitch, but to say people get trapped because someone is a certain race is nonsense. People get trapped because they dont ever try to get out of it, and it is easier to just live within the confines of it.

marijuana is all but decriminalized whether formally or informally in most urban areas. These people go to jail because they collect all the benefits that are supposed to help impoverished citizens while they sell drugs under the table and spend the money on clothes and Jordans (or LeBrons, a bit of irony there)

This is not racism, this is what they really do. Trust me.

But anyone who points out what really happens is automatically racist.

Race has nothing to do with it, but everyone keeps bringing it up. Its an environment thing, and there happens to be a lot of blacks who live there. Puerto Ricans are just as bad, although they tend to commit less violent crimes than blacks.

Why would I just make this up? To feel better about myself?

I'm glad this **** got moved, because your post is so full of incoherent ramblings, I don't even know where to begin. Maybe you aren't inherently racist, but you're not exactly doing a good job of portraying that, "trust me."

Return to The General Board