Indiana Media on Paul George (UPDATE: Pg 4)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Indiana Media on Paul George (UPDATE: Pg 4) 

Post#1 » by OptionZero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:51 pm

A couple IndyStar media guys have taken . . . what can be construed as shots against Paul George lately. Awesome.

Here's [ur=http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/02/16/doyel-lets-talk-pacers-paul-george-problem/98018218/l]Greg Doyell's article published 2/16/17[/url] Two points of interest

1) On PG13's refusal to play PF:

The Pacers, who enter the All-Star break on a six-game losing streak, are missing their top two power forwards: Thaddeus Young and Lavoy Allen. Because of that, they’re playing two guys — Kevin Seraphin starting, C.J. Miles off the bench — ill-equipped for the position. Seraphin is big enough, but too slow. Miles is quick enough, but too small.

Meanwhile, Paul George is just right. He’s not merely a potential power forward — he’s the prototype in today’s smaller, sleeker NBA that demands a combination of size, skill and speed from that slot. Paul George has all three.

But he won’t play the four.

George refused to do it last season, complicating Larry Bird’s offseason remake of what had been one of the league’s bigger, slower lineups. And McMillan indicated before Thursday’s game that George has declined to do it this season even now, with the Pacers missing two power forwards. This is what McMillan told me when I asked him Thursday: Any thought, on an emergency basis, of putting Paul at the four?

“We’ve tried that, but Paul is …” McMillan said, then paused, unsure how to finish that sentence. Paul is … what?

McMillan tried again.

“Um, we’ve tried that some — but no,” he said. “I wish it was that easy, and it really should be, but it’s not.”

It really should be that easy? Man, that’s as close as you’ve ever heard any of George’s bosses — McMillan, Bird, former coach Frank Vogel — say what’s on everyone’s mind:

Paul George is putting himself ahead of the team.

2) On PG13 being critical of Nate McMillan (also related to the PF issue:

George does have some advice for his coach, however. After the Pacers surrendered 18 3-pointers in a 113-104 loss Wednesday to Cleveland, George offered up these suggestions to Nate Taylor, IndyStar’s Pacers Insider:

“Maybe it’s changing schemes up in how we guard these spread teams,” George told my team’s Nate, not his team’s Nate. “This is a new league, a new NBA. I think we might have to go a different route … as opposed to trying to make changes during games where we’re kind of not really sure how to guard something.”

Not sure who George was taking a shot at there, McMillan or Pacers defensive coordinator Dan Burke. Maybe both? Whatever. His next “suggestion” seemed to be aimed at Larry Bird:

"I think,” Paul George opined, “we (should) just build for where the league is headed.”

You mean, like moving the team’s 6-9 perimeter sniper to power forward? The Pacers tried that last season, Paul.

You said no.

McMillan, by the way, had no idea before Thursday’s game that his best player had offered a coaching criticism the night before. I asked him about George’s comments, and got this in response:

“He said what now?” McMillan asked. “He didn’t come to me about that.”

Meanwhile, Nate Taylor of the same paper wrote about the Pacer's slide into the All-Star Break in his 2/16/17 article:

Just a summary and some quotes, no biggie

Then another writer, Nate Newell tweets this morning on it:

Read on Twitter

George is under contract through 2018, and then becomes a restricted FA. He may be eligible for the designated veteran extension this offseason IF he makes an all-nba team (allows for 5yr extension starting at 35% max). It's not a lock he gets that, since Lebron, Kawhi, Dray, KD have pretty legitimate cases for four spots (of the six available forward spots). Giannis is getting a spot this year for sure. He'd need to beat Griffin, possibly Anthony Davis if he's put as an F, maybe Gordon Hayward. There's enough competition that it's not a lock. Without that eligibility, Indiana's financial advantage is diminished. They could still pay him the most when he hits free agency but you don't want a guy hitting free agency.

All this being said, I look forward to PG13 as GSW's Iguodala replacement, so have a good day.

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Re: Indiana Media on Paul George 

Post#2 » by K_chile22 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Pls push him out, he would make an excellent Rocket :)
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#3 » by Kobblehead » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 pm

You can play the 3 while Simmons and Embiid man the 4 and 5, Paul.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#4 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:09 pm

I thought that was a standered answer lol. What is he supposed to say nah man I want to keep playing instead of going on a paid vacation and have fun at all star break lol
Raptors til death
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#5 » by MC3 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Chicago needs you PG13.

Soon in cinema coming by renewed directors GarPax, summer blockbuster The Butler (2018), rated PG-13.
PeptoKlepto
Senior
And1: 702

Post#6 » by PeptoKlepto » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Kobblehead wrote:You can play the 3 while Simmons and Embiid man the 4 and 5, Paul.

That would be an insane trio.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#7 » by Prez » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Bring him home. Join the church of the Greek god.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#8 » by OrlandoDream » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:18 pm

The media retaliation is Step 2 of trading your disgruntled all-star franchise player. I just don't see Larry trading PG13. As long as he is there, PG isnt going anywhere.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,479

Post#9 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:18 pm

MC3 wrote:Chicago needs you PG13.

Soon in cinema coming by renewed directors GarPax, summer blockbuster The Butler (2018), rated PG-13.

PG "Maannnn ask gar/pax to trade me to your team so i can teach you some style" :lol:
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#10 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:18 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Pls push him out, he would make an excellent Rocket :)

Yes please!!!! I'd be all for that.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#11 » by J-Ves » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:19 pm

This is the classic "the team isn't doing well so assign blame to the one guy who doesn't deserve it" move.
KnightofHyrule
Sixth Man
And1: 1,929

Post#12 » by KnightofHyrule » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Joseph, Carroll, Sullinger, Bebe + pick to Indiana for George and Seraphin.

Starters:
PG Lowry
SG DeRozan
SF George
PF Ibaka
C Valanciunas

Bench:
PG Wright
SG VanVleet
SF Powell
PF Patterson/Poeltl
C Seraphin

The chip?
casey_glory7 wrote:Raptors vs GS finals 2018 confirmed. I'll pay every realgm member 50 bucks if im wrong.

Thanks for ruining everything, KD....
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#13 » by deanwoof » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Well that was an awkward read.
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#14 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:24 pm

BeatDaCavs420 wrote:
MC3 wrote:Chicago needs you PG13.

PG "Maannnn ask gar/pax to trade me to your team so i can teach you some style" :lol:

What's that girl doing photo bombing lol
Raptors til death
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#15 » by OptionZero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 pm

The designated extension thing is a big deal. Indy really needs PG13 to make an all-NBA team and qualify for it, so they can extend him this offseason. I don't see them markedly jumping up the East standings with WAS, BOS, and TOR around, so bumbling around the bottom of the east playoff scene a terrible backdrop for going into unrestricted free agency.

And since someone's gonna say it, no, GSW can't get him, their books will be full by then with Curry and KD's new deals and Klay and Dray.

Indiana really FUBAR'd themselves lately. Not upgrading from Vogel (i don't think he's great, he's ok, but McMillan ain't the guy), the Monta deal, letting Solomon Hill walk (who would be a pretty nice option at PF on his option year they declined), letting Mahinmi walk, trading Hill for Teague (lateral move at best), signing worthless Al Jefferson . . .

Boston, Denver, the Lakers, . . . pretty much everyone should be calling Bird. Now, Bird won't trade him. U can mark that down. Dude won't admit he screwed up and he's going to take this all the way to the end.

It's gonna end with George walking as a free agent to greener pastures. I'm predicting he'll be a Laker entering 18-19.
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#16 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:27 pm

He is on sportscentre right now being super honest love it
Raptors til death
hongdayuan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,793

Post#17 » by hongdayuan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Sux when a city's media tries to push out a superstar. Like how us change miles too small while pg is just right? 6-6 225 vs 6-9 220? With his mpg last thing you want is him banging with big men.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,350

Post#18 » by reload141 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:He is on sportscentre right now being super honest love it

What's he saying?
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#19 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:40 pm

reload141 wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:He is on sportscentre right now being super honest love it

What's he saying?

She asked why the Pacers are on losing streak and he said because they starting playing good teams before they were beating on bad teams. Said he is a shy guy and needs be more of vocal leader. Asked about staying in Indiana. Gave a standard answer about Indiana having a great love for basketball

Then said he is still about missing scoring record and all star MVP last year lol
Raptors til death
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,233

Post#20 » by Chuck Everett » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 pm

I made a thread about this two months ago. PG is gone.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to The General Board