ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#801 » by reub » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:08 am

Daaaarryyl wrote:Mets sold Gabby Ynoa to the O's for cash....

I admit I was not a huge fan following him through the minors (even when MLB.com's Jon Mayo called him a sleeper who could become a top 100 prospect a year ago).

And was not impressed with what I saw in the bigs this past season.

And I would have taken a lottery ticket in rookie ball and maybe an international slot bonus for 300k in a trade and said, eh whatever.

But they sold him for cash and nothing else :-?

We have an overflowing roster so maybe that's why we sold him. Signing Salas and Blevins made some giveaways inevitable.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#802 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:57 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:Mets sold Gabby Ynoa to the O's for cash....

I admit I was not a huge fan following him through the minors (even when MLB.com's Jon Mayo called him a sleeper who could become a top 100 prospect a year ago).

And was not impressed with what I saw in the bigs this past season.

And I would have taken a lottery ticket in rookie ball and maybe an international slot bonus for 300k in a trade and said, eh whatever.

But they sold him for cash and nothing else :-?

We have an overflowing roster so maybe that's why we sold him. Signing Salas and Blevins made some giveaways inevitable.

Yeah sounds like the Blevins signing really forced the Mets hand but at this point you have a starting 5 and 2 starters in case with Lugo and Gsellman. With Familia out probably the first third of the season we might struggle a little with depth but we still have Montero who seems to be in the witness protection program.

Amazing that 3 years ago Montero was the heir apparent and then Degrom came from nowhere and now Lugo and Gsellman have shot past him. If Matz and Wheeler can't stay healthy Lugo and Gsellman will be huge for us as 4th and 5th starters. Gnoa just didn't impress I'm not really upset we let him go.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,393

Post#803 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:03 pm

I went onto the Yankees thread and proposed trading Familia for Betances in light of the whole Levine/arbitration debacle. Anyone say no?
Retired_Doc
Analyst
And1: 367

Post#804 » by Retired_Doc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:48 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I went onto the Yankees thread and proposed trading Familia for Betances in light of the whole Levine/arbitration debacle. Anyone say no?

No!
Tanking again, I suppose. Is there any other way?
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,866

Post#805 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I went onto the Yankees thread and proposed trading Familia for Betances in light of the whole Levine/arbitration debacle. Anyone say no?

I mean other than god...

Yankees are the perfect team for a guy like Jay Bruce. Yanks had too many catchers with McCann. It would have been a perfect swap.

Yanks and Mets don't deal.

Any word on who our next catcher is gonna be?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#806 » by Mecca » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:

I mean other than god...

Yankees are the perfect team for a guy like Jay Bruce. Yanks had too many catchers with McCann. It would have been a perfect swap.

We don't need Bruce though. Frazier is our future in one slot, Judge in the other, and Ellsbury's contract is unmovable so he fills our 3rd slot.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#807 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:10 am

Mecca wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

I mean other than god...

We don't need Bruce though. Frazier is our future in one slot, Judge in the other, and Ellsbury's contract is unmovable so he fills our 3rd slot.

Define need? Yankees NEED pitching (starting pitching) the assets collected (including OF prospects they have on the roster) would be helpful to gain one of those arms.

Gardner could be moved on a sale price for a limited prospect I am sure.

Some of the farm (let's say 2 of the yankees top prospects) could be moved for an elite level pitcher (like how Sale was acquired).

Had the Yanks moved McCann for Bruce, they would have been able to make a nice offer for Sale and possibly had a really strong line up all the way around.

Bruce on the Yankees could easily be .265 40HR. For his price tag, that's a a pretty good way to do a competitive rebuild.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Mecca
RealGM

Post#808 » by Mecca » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:12 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
I mean other than god...

Define need? Yankees NEED pitching (starting pitching) the assets collected (including OF prospects they have on the roster) would be helpful to gain one of those arms.

Some of the farm (let's say 2 of the yankees top prospects) could be moved for an elite level pitcher (like how Sale was acquired).

Had the Yanks moved McCann for Bruce, they would have been able to make a nice offer for Sale and possibly had a really strong line up all the way around.

Bruce on the Yankees could easily be .265 40HR. For his price tag, that's a a pretty good way to do a competitive rebuild.

Sale was never an option. We weren't giving up significant assets. Bruce is still a 1 year rental. We're not taking on more salary until 2018.

We're not moving prospects for a pitcher.
Brooklyn Nets
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#809 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:24 am

Mecca wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Sale was never an option. We weren't giving up significant assets. Bruce is still a 1 year rental. We're not taking on more salary until 2018.

Obviously it's Cashman's call. Yankees would be better served with a young pitching prospect for two hitting ones. (obviously value has to be right)
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Mecca
RealGM

Post#810 » by Mecca » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:32 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

Obviously it's Cashman's call. Yankees would be better served with a young pitching prospect for two hitting ones. (obviously value has to be right)

I agree. I want to do the same thing. Our pitching staff is brutal lol. But our formula is devaluing the starting pitcher.
Brooklyn Nets
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#811 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:

I mean other than god...

Mecca
RealGM

Post#812 » by Mecca » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

I mean other than god...

can't forget Armando Benitez
Brooklyn Nets
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#813 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:50 am

Mecca wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I agree. I want to do the same thing. Our pitching staff is brutal lol. But our formula is devaluing the starting pitcher.

I am a basketball first kind of person, so I have my perspective based on things I have seen in basketball. I am reminded of the Detroit Pistons and the Sixers (Larry Brown eras). Teams that had a great foundation but needed one more piece, one more ingredient. Pistons ultimately got that with Sheed resulting in the ring.

I think that in baseball, the game is to collect assets because player movement is so fluid. Cashman has the right idea in developing a farm and it would be reckless for him to say.. move your new shiny catcher for Matt Harvey (who is soon to be paid and no longer all that young), or for a Kershaw (again big $ investment, years under his belt making him vulnerable to injury and a decline). But if there is a young pitcher (Jose Quintana?) for say Frazier and Mateo... well that helps on a couple fronts Quintana has less mileage than say a Kershaw (though at 28 roughly the same age) and his $ is considered team-friendly for the next 4 seasons.

I like the strategy of building strength on strength (leaving one area like SP weak during the build) then splurging on high-end pieces to turn good into godly. Bruce for a Abreu and Mason Williams could be a low cost sort of deal that enables some of the other prospects to become that elite SP. Of course you trade a redundant piece like Garnder in the process for someone else's C+/B- prospect and you wind up with Gardner+B- for Bruce.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#814 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:51 am

Mecca wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
I mean other than god...

What's Rod Barajas up to these days?
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Mecca
RealGM

Post#815 » by Mecca » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:52 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

I am a basketball first kind of person, so I have my perspective based on things I have seen in basketball. I am reminded of the Detroit Pistons and the Sixers (Larry Brown eras). Teams that had a great foundation but needed one more piece, one more ingredient. Pistons ultimately got that with Sheed resulting in the ring.

I think that in baseball, the game is to collect assets because player movement is so fluid. Cashman has the right idea in developing a farm and it would be reckless for him to say.. move your new shiny catcher for Matt Harvey (who is soon to be paid and no longer all that young), or for a Kershaw (again big $ investment, years under his belt making him vulnerable to injury and a decline). But if there is a young pitcher (Jose Quintana?) for say Frazier and Mateo... well that helps on a couple fronts Quintana has less mileage than say a Kershaw (though at 28 roughly the same age) and his $ is considered team-friendly for the next 4 seasons.

I like the strategy of building strength on strength (leaving one area like SP weak during the build) then splurging on high-end pieces to turn good into godly. Bruce for a Abreu and Mason Williams could be a low cost sort of deal that enables some of the other prospects to become that elite SP. Of course you trade a redundant piece like Garnder in the process for someone else's C+/B- prospect and you wind up with Gardner+B- for Bruce.

Yeah, it's definitely an interesting strategy. Personally, I feel like baseball has the most exciting front office dynamic. It's so much strategy and research.
Brooklyn Nets
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#816 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:55 am

Really wanted Weiters, thought he would've been perfect for us. When it comes to catchers, I can't even be mad with Travis, Catchers in baseball these days are just flat out bad. To think he was the prize prospect for Doc Halladay and Thor, baseball and prospects are funny like that.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#817 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Mecca wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
I mean other than god...

Can't forget Ed Whitson. :P
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#818 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:05 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Mecca wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Can't forget Ed Whitson. :P

What about Jason Phillips and those stunner shades
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#819 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:15 am

I saw d'Arnaud play on over the weekend in the loss to the Cards. His swing is definitely "revamped." It's a much better swing; shorter and more compact which means he'll be able to get out in front on fastballs, especially inside ones. That long looping swing of his last season was a a mess.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/travis-arnaud-making-mets-giddy-revamped-swing-article-1.2990170
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,562

Post#820 » by Lord Commander » Tue Mar 7, 2017 3:29 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I saw d'Arnaud play on over the weekend in the loss to the Cards. His swing is definitely "revamped." It's a much better swing; shorter and more compact which means he'll be able to get out in front on fastballs, especially inside ones. That long looping swing of his last season was a a mess.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/travis-arnaud-making-mets-giddy-revamped-swing-article-1.2990170

It doesn't matter. He can't stay healthy.

Return to New York Knicks