OT: Mike Glennon 

Post#1 » by amcfad27 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:07 pm

Bear Mike Glennon 14.5 mil :o
Lauri_Legend
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Re: OT: Mike Glennon 

Post#2 » by Lauri_Legend » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:29 pm

I'd rather resign Hoyer for $5-7M and use that extra $10M on defense. At least have an identity. Glennon is clearly a bridge QB, especially if they're drafting QBs. Why not just make Hoyer the bridge at a cheaper price
Admin of DieHardChicagoBullsFans: https://www.facebook.com/DieHardChicagoBullsFans
Bomba Navarro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#3 » by Bomba Navarro » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:01 pm

Let's look on the bright side here. There are thirteen QBs in the league making +20 a year, and 9 more making +16 a year, so Glennon's contract is not *that* bad. If you think he's a starter in this league anyways.

Still underwhelming, I agree.
suckfish wrote:Lucas. You. Inside. Me. Slow. But. Fast.

The turd!
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#4 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:30 pm

The worst franchise in town, and it's not remotely close.
Gray Poster
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#5 » by Gray Poster » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:31 pm

They are still drafting a QB, right?
Lauri_Legend
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#6 » by Lauri_Legend » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:34 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:The worst franchise in town, and it's not remotely close.

sox
Admin of DieHardChicagoBullsFans: https://www.facebook.com/DieHardChicagoBullsFans
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#7 » by SpinninHouse » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:58 pm

We literally outbid the next highest suitor (NYJ) by over $5M.

Meanwhile, he lets the best RT in FA (Wagner) go to Detroit over $1M.
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Re: RE: Re: OT: Mike Glennon 

Post#8 » by Axxo » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:08 pm

diebieber wrote:I'd rather resign Hoyer for $5-7M and use that extra $10M on defense. At least have an identity. Glennon is clearly a bridge QB, especially if they're drafting QBs. Why not just make Hoyer the bridge at a cheaper price

I agree with this. For a bridge Hoyer should have been fine. I can only guess that they think Glennon being 6'7 might win them a game or two extra which might save their jobs? Other than that I got nuthin....

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Re: RE: OT: Mike Glennon 

Post#9 » by Axxo » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:11 pm

amcfad27 wrote:Bear Mike Glennon 14.5 mil :o

Also are they going to sign anybody besides him? Geez...all the other positions are being taken.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
chrispatrick
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#10 » by chrispatrick » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:25 pm

Bomba Navarro wrote:Let's look on the bright side here. There are thirteen QBs in the league making +20 a year, and 9 more making +16 a year, so Glennon's contract is not *that* bad. If you think he's a starter in this league anyways.

Still underwhelming, I agree.

I think we're on the same page but that's a pretty massive "if". He is getting paid what a bottom-tier starter makes. But I still don't see the point in committing a bunch of money to a guy who will likely rank amongst the worst in the league at his position. Good teams usually have either elite QBs (which we have no path to acquiring) or cheap QBs on rookie deals that allow them to stack their money on the defensive side of the ball or other positions.

Additionally, all indications were that the Bears were bidding against themselves for Glennon, other teams were seeking to pay him the $7-8M a year that a top-flight backup would make.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,448

Post#11 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:56 pm

Casual Bears fan checking in. I have no real analysis except that, if Twitter's any indication, everyone seems to be laughing at us.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,131

Post#12 » by League Circles » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:59 pm

The only thing I know about this guy is that he's 6 foot 7. That's the only thing keeping me from hating the move
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,470

Post#13 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:03 pm

Thank God for the Cubs and Hawks
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#14 » by Betta Bulleavit » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:05 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Casual Bears fan checking in. I have no real analysis except that, if Twitter's any indication, everyone seems to be laughing at us.

People will laugh because it's not a sexy QB name. However, what people fail to realize is that only about 40% of the deal is guaranteed. This means that they Bears could feasibly walk away after year 1 of the deal with very little cap repercussion.

Beyond that though, this guy got a pretty raw deal in TB. They basically went on tank mode for Winston despite the fact that Glennon didn't look bad at all in the chance that he got to play..as a rookie himself no less. Nobody really knows how this is going to work out. But I can think of far worse moves that teams have made in recent memory.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Betta Bulleavit » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:09 pm

When all else fails, just think of it this way. The Bears signed a guy that has just as much upside as Jimmy G for 2nd teir QB money without surrendering any future picks. Not to mention the fact that a guy who showed far less than Glennon (Osweiler) got even more money from the Texans last year. Like I said, people are laughing because it's the Bears. And because of our recent futility, laughing at the Bears has become the fashionable thing to do. However, in 2 or 3 years, people are going to be laughing at the ridiculous contracts that players from this mediocre class are going to be making.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#16 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:17 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:When all else fails, just think of it this way. The Bears signed a guy that has just as much upside as Jimmy G for 2nd teir QB money without surrendering any future picks. Not to mention the fact that a guy who showed far less than Glennon (Osweiler) got even more money from the Texans last year. Like I said, people are laughing because it's the Bears. And because of our recent futility, laughing at the Bears has become the fashionable thing to do. However, in 2 or 3 years, people are going to be laughing at the ridiculous contracts that players from this mediocre class are going to be making.

He doesn't have as much upside as Garoppollo.

It's moronic to pay market value for a guy whose ceiling is a below average starting QB.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Betta Bulleavit » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:31 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:When all else fails, just think of it this way. The Bears signed a guy that has just as much upside as Jimmy G for 2nd teir QB money without surrendering any future picks. Not to mention the fact that a guy who showed far less than Glennon (Osweiler) got even more money from the Texans last year. Like I said, people are laughing because it's the Bears. And because of our recent futility, laughing at the Bears has become the fashionable thing to do. However, in 2 or 3 years, people are going to be laughing at the ridiculous contracts that players from this mediocre class are going to be making.

He doesn't have as much upside as Garoppollo.

It's moronic to pay market value for a guy whose ceiling is a below average starting QB.

See, the problem with the premise that Glennon doesn't have as much upside as Garoppollo is that you really don't know what Jimmy's upside is since he's taken so few damn snaps. At least with Glennon, you know for a fact that he's demonstrated the ability to be a decent NFL QB in a good sample size of games. People should really do their homework on what happened to this guy in TB before judging him. He put up good numbers while the offense around him was horrible.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Betta Bulleavit » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:50 pm

Just to give some more insight into this Glennon thing, I figured I would list some of his relevant stats for all of you to consider.

18 Games Started
30 Touchdowns
15 INTs
4,100 Yards
196 ypg
84.6 QBR
59.4 Comp%
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,131

Post#19 » by League Circles » Thu Mar 9, 2017 7:07 pm

They should have probably, gulp, kept Cutler. That said, drafting a QB in round 2 or later to compete with O'Brennan is a 2 prong strategy for an overall cost that I would like.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#20 » by DarthDiggler69 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 7:10 pm

maybe a decent short-term replacement but he is no solution for a QB

Return to Chicago Bears