ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Knicks Draft by position of need?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Should the Knicks Draft by position of need? 

Post#1 » by malik959 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 am

Didn't see this posted
https://gothamsn.com/should-the-knicks-draft-by-talent-or-by-fit-64ae870ac669#.f090jqypl
This year’s Draft class is being heralded as not only deep in terms of top 10 talent but flush with skilled guards: Washington’s Markelle Fultz, UCLA’s Lonzo Ball, NC State’s Dennis Smith Jr., Kentucky’s De’Aaron Fox and Malik Monk, and Frank Ntilikina from France.

Teams drafting in the top 10 must decide whether they should select a player based on talent or by fit. Should a team like the Boston Celtics select a guard even though they have Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, and rookie Jaylen Brown earning minutes in the Celtics’ back court? Do the Phoenix Suns take a guard despite having Eric Bledsoe and Devin Booker for the foreseeable future? Would the Philadelphia 76ers, a team in desperate need of a guard, consider drafting a forward like Jayson Tatum or Jonathan Isaac if they feel either player has a higher ceiling than any of the guards left on the board?

And what about the New York Knicks?

The Knicks will likely miss the playoffs for the 12th time in 16 seasons. A team that at one point was 16–13 in a mediocre Eastern Conference has faded down the stretch, losing 28 of its last 38 games. With the Knicks closer to having the second-worst record in the NBA than being the eighth seed in the East, it might be time to look towards the Draft instead of the slim chance to play four games against the Cleveland Cavaliers in the playoffs.

It’s no secret that the Knicks have lacked a consistent, homegrown, two-way starting point guard for what feels like centuries. Yet the Knicks have also been without a consistent, homegrown, two-way starting wing as well. Wings such as Josh Jackson, Jonathan Isaac and Jayson Tatum are all projected to be drafted in the top 10. And while heralded prospects Michael Porter Jr. and Luka Doncic will likely enter the Draft in 2018, drafting either of them may be a pipe dream as long as a star like Carmelo Anthony is on the Knicks next season.
Jeremy Cohen

I would prefer to get Jackson, Tatum, Isaac, or Bridges and take a gamble on a PG in the FA like Teague, Lowry, Holiday, Hill, or even Livingston. A future of:
Teague
Lee
Tatum
KP
Willy

or

Hill
Lee
Isaac
KP
Willy
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Re: Should the Knicks Draft by position of need? 

Post#2 » by moocow007 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:17 am

I would go BPA and use position only as the tie breaker. Would not mind one bit at all if Josh Jackson is a Knick. Jackson is a guy that I think is more offensively talented than most believe and may have the best "safe" star potential of the group.

Sent from my SM-T377T using RealGM mobile app
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#3 » by br7knicks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:18 am

I'd rather go guard, but I think they need to consider personality as well. You need someone who can help create a defensive, hard nosed mentality and environment. I loved that porzingis called out the confusion with this team and franchise. We need less guys who care about themselves, and their chances of making the HOF with their numbers, rather than wins
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#4 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:23 am

Neither. Knicks need to draft BPA. They shouldn't be committed to anyone long term except KP and Willy.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
br7knicks

Post#5 » by br7knicks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:26 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:Neither. Knicks need to draft BPA. They shouldn't be committed to anyone long term except KP and Willy.

That's why I'd rather go guard. But if the BPA is a big guy, and the difference in talent between them and the next best player is that great, the knives could shop willy. His contract is ridiculously friendly, and there clearly is talent there
RIP, magnumt '19

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Post#6 » by moocow007 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:26 am

Regarding Josh Jackson, other than shooting, he basically is top tier in every single category you can possibly want in a basketball player. Athleticism, size for position, length, passing, defense, ball control, efficiency, offense, leadership, feel, intensity, focus, confidence, etc.

Sent from my SM-T377T using RealGM mobile app
br7knicks

Post#7 » by br7knicks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:28 am

Ugh, hate writing from phone, auto correct. The knicks could shop willy
RIP, magnumt '19

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#8 » by Sark » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:30 am

Luckily for us BPA, and position of need go hand in hand this year. If we get any of the point guards, Malik Monk, or any of the small forwards, we'll be filling both a position of need, and hopefully selecting the BPA.

With that said, we'll probably end up with Lauri Markkanen :cry:
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#9 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:34 am

I say BPA cuz even if it's a big you could rotate them and chances are whoever it is won't be great right away anyway. When the time comes and you need to worry about trading someone so be it. I generally think you should always draft BPA unless you are very built up team already and even then you should probably still do it.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#10 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 am

The Pistons drafting Darko over Melo always comes to mind when I have these kind of discussions. Pistons definitely overthought the draft. I can't think of too many examples of BPA being the wrong approach.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#11 » by Yankeeknickfan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 am

Just don't trade another big man. Anybody but a PF/C

BPA that isn't a big
Imageceltics
malik959
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by malik959 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:39 am

Sark wrote:Luckily for us BPA, and position of need go hand in hand this year. If we get any of the point guards, Malik Monk, or any of the small forwards, we'll be filling both a position of need, and hopefully selecting the BPA.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuug! And that's when I burn all my Knicks gear! Don't get me wrong he's good, just not worth a top ten pick. :banghead:
If the Knicks are staying with this offense than I can't see them going for a guard, they'll be looking for someone who can score and defend at the 2 or 3. Phil needs his Kobe or Jordan.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#13 » by Sark » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:40 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:The Pistons drafting Darko over Melo always comes to mind when I have these kind of discussions. Pistons definitely overthought the draft. I can't think of too many examples of BPA being the wrong approach.

They won the title the next year, so you can't really say they messed up too bad. Really they should have taken Wade.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#14 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:40 am

Lauri would definitely be redundant but if he's BPA he's the pick. I'm hoping knicks are high enough where he is not BPA.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#15 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 am

Sark wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:The Pistons drafting Darko over Melo always comes to mind when I have these kind of discussions. Pistons definitely overthought the draft. I can't think of too many examples of BPA being the wrong approach.

They won the title the next year, so you can't really say they messed up too bad. Really they should have taken Wade.

Well that's knowing what we know now. Pistons could have won at least one more title maybe even more had they nailed that pick. I definitely would say they blew it. I'm sure they would probably agree too.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#16 » by whocares1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:43 am

malik959 wrote:
Sark wrote:Luckily for us BPA, and position of need go hand in hand this year. If we get any of the point guards, Malik Monk, or any of the small forwards, we'll be filling both a position of need, and hopefully selecting the BPA.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuug! And that's when I burn all my Knicks gear! Don't get me wrong he's good, just not worth a top ten pick. :banghead:
If the Knicks are staying with this offense than I can't see them going for a guard, they'll be looking for someone who can score and defend at the 2 or 3. Phil needs his Kobe or Jordan.

There's no way the Knicks draft Lauri. That's silly and wouldn't make any sense unless Phil was trading KP or Willy which also wouldn't make any sense. He is going to pick a wing or a guard.
malik959
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by malik959 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:49 am

I would officially turn to team Hoody
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#18 » by Greenie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 am

BPA
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#19 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:01 am

I think theres not a player in the top ten of draft express I wouldn't take. And Im not saying they're the best site but just as a point of reference. Now I might have different rankings but for a team like ours who needs everything and should assume that Anthony could waive his clause, we should go with BPA. In terms of need the only guy who Id question is Markennan but I could still dig it if we drafted him. Most of us can agree that without more strength KP is never gonna hit the next level, at that point he might be a C. Markannen would play PF. But thats why Im saying thats my worst case scenario. Probably not the best fit but still two pretty solid lotto bigs on the same team. But theres guys everywhere Id take.

It is a lottery. Never know what can happen but outside of Feultz and Ball I like Isaac alot.

Isaac is a 6'11 combo forward with range and length on defense. Rebounds well. He's gonna grow into that body of his and then I can see he and KP splitting minutes between SF/PF and PF/C respectively. Thats pretty versatile a combo spread across three positions. In a way reminds me of Robert Horry.

Fox reminds me alot of Rondo for whatever thats worth. He can do it all but would probably excel as a passer and is a good defender. Not a good shooter but still could develop it. But his talent reminds me of Rondo.

Smith reminds me alot of Lillard. He can score and still thread the needle. Was steady top 2 until other emerged but hed be an awesome steal for Ny

Someone said Tatum looks like a Danny Granger on this site and sounded like that would be a disappointment. I actually thought that was a positive comparison. Granger was a good player till it fell apart with his legs. Id be happy to have that next to KP

Monk is probably another toward the end of my list. Short for a SG and doesn't really have the ball handling skills of a PG but boy can that kid score. He could score today on most nba teams at least off their bench. But thats the problem, at 6'4 you gotta have facilitating ability. Why might I still do it? Cuz given his shooting ability, his height and the fact that the triangle doesn't really require a prolific traditional PG he might actually be the type Phil likes.

Jackson I shouldve put in that unreachable tier but ya never know. The guys does it all, pass, rebound, score. Not the best shot but he can put it in the hoop. I like him cuz he could play either wing position and outside of feultz and ball i see him as the only other player who could end up best in his class.

So really the answer to the original question is you first draft the best player available and then base free agency off of that. Im not really looking to spend money on FA except if we land one of the top three wings in the draft and that FA is a PG. For example, if by some miracle we draft Jackson, I might consider spending some change on a Teague or Holiday.
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#20 » by Dantares » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 am

draft markannen and then trade down for Nkitilina. see if we can shed noah for an expiring(doubtful) or get an additional first round pick.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Return to New York Knicks