ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Knicks Draft by position of need?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,551

Re: Should the Knicks Draft by position of need? 

Post#61 » by Gravy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:08 am

NYKnicks6 wrote:
Gravy wrote:The top ten look all look to have nice talent this year. It will be hard to really know who is BPA until 2-3 years from now. What if Bridges becomes better than Fox or Fox is better than J.Jackson? We did a good job picking KP and Willy so I'll ride with whoever we pick this time and hope we develop him into a good player.

Maybe Fultz and Ball are the two can't misses. Then there's the whole can they play in the triangle stuff that might influence who we take.

The thought of this really bothers me :-?

That may have played a part in us taking KP though, as Mudiay didn't look like a triangle guard and Winslow can't shoot.
NYKnicks6
Senior
And1: 399

Post#62 » by NYKnicks6 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 am

Gravy wrote:
NYKnicks6 wrote:
Gravy wrote:The top ten look all look to have nice talent this year. It will be hard to really know who is BPA until 2-3 years from now. What if Bridges becomes better than Fox or Fox is better than J.Jackson? We did a good job picking KP and Willy so I'll ride with whoever we pick this time and hope we develop him into a good player.

Maybe Fultz and Ball are the two can't misses. Then there's the whole can they play in the triangle stuff that might influence who we take.

The thought of this really bothers me :-?

That may have played a part in us taking KP though, as Mudiay didn't look like a triangle guard and Winslow can't shoot.

It's possible but one would hope not. 2 years into their careers shows that KP is clearly the better of the 2 regardless of system.
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#63 » by TruthBeTold » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 am

kane2021 wrote:
TruthBeTold wrote:It depends on the quality of player available when it's time for the knicks to pick. For example, the Knicks should take any of the top 6 players available on DraftExpress right now. DraftExpress has the same top 6 as my mock draft, so I recommend the Knicks take a PG or a SF if they are picking in the top 6. If all the elite PGs and SFs are gone before the Knicks can draft, then the Knicks should consider drafting the best available player.

I don't want to be an ass. But you talking about the knicks should pick a player off a internet site. Then back it up by saying you have it the same as the internet site. Think about that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Fultz
Ball
Jackson
Tatum
Fox
DSJ

I think most people would agree that these are currently the 6 best players in the upcoming NBA draft. Things can change later base on performance of course.

Some might have Monk in their top 6, but his defense is poor, so he is not in mine. I'm curious to know what your top 6 players are in the upcoming draft? I don't always agree with DraftExpress top 5 or 6 prospects, but this time I think they got it right. So I had to give them some credit in my post. DraftExpress is a very popular site for NBA mock draft. I don't think the Knicks should only rely on their scouting reports, workouts and management opinions for their draft order. I'm sure NBA teams use the best sources before making out their draft board. I don't see anything wrong if some teams choose to include public opinion and popular NBA mock draft sites analysis before making final drafting decisions. There is nothing wrong with seeing what the internet, fans and NBA draft experts on TV are saying about the upcoming draft. Hell, sometimes I think Knicks management should visit realgm forum for some advice to help the Knicks win more games. :lol: The internet can have some reliable source. So yes, I do believe DraftExpress mock draft analysis is one of MANY second sources the Knicks should use to help them decide their draft order.

If I was part of Knicks management, I would look at EVERYTHING. I'm wouldnā€™t undervalue anyone or anyoneā€™s mock draft analysis just because it's on the internet.
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#64 » by battabing10 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:01 pm

bpa has to be defined as best 2way player available. knicks should be done with dhs. rose and melo are dhs.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#65 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 pm

The Knicks have a need at EVERY position so they should definitely draft the best player available.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,149

Post#66 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Sark wrote:Luckily for us BPA, and position of need go hand in hand this year. If we get any of the point guards, Malik Monk, or any of the small forwards, we'll be filling both a position of need, and hopefully selecting the BPA.

With that said, we'll probably end up with Lauri Markkanen :cry:

This, and This, to both parts.

I was going to say, Knicks can take BPA, but that BPA should be playing wing/backcourt, since Melo is really a 4 now, and is gone in a few years, CLee isn't young and isn't a guy who should block any top tier talent, and of course the Knicks have zero PG's for next year, outside of Baker and Randle.

What the Knicks absolutely lack, once Rose is gone, is any player who can create his own shot off the dribble and cause the D to collapse. It would be nice if that player possessed that AND an ability to pass well and run a team, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if the Knicks got a guy who did those things but wasn't a PG - Monk or Jackson.

Knicks clearly have needs at 1,2,3, so it shouldn't be hard to find a guy who fills a need.
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#67 » by ny-n-md » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:09 pm

I'm hoping for Fultz more than Ball. If we don't land the top pick, I'd take Dennis Smith if he's still on the board. I don't want anymore bigs.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Post#68 » by moocow007 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:I think theres not a player in the top ten of draft express I wouldn't take. And Im not saying they're the best site but just as a point of reference. Now I might have different rankings but for a team like ours who needs everything and should assume that Anthony could waive his clause, we should go with BPA. In terms of need the only guy who Id question is Markennan but I could still dig it if we drafted him. Most of us can agree that without more strength KP is never gonna hit the next level, at that point he might be a C. Markannen would play PF. But thats why Im saying thats my worst case scenario. Probably not the best fit but still two pretty solid lotto bigs on the same team. But theres guys everywhere Id take.

Markkanen doesn't have the athleticism or footspeed to play PF in the NBA.
iLovethosedamnknicks
Rookie
And1: 221

Post#69 » by iLovethosedamnknicks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:37 pm

best available thats not a big man
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,914

Post#70 » by GONYK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Capn'O wrote:If there's a guy they feel can be that much better than the other available players - say they feel Lauri can be Dirk
Spoiler:
Hi GONYK
- they need to hit the home run.

I don't see it in this draft at our position. If we win a top 3 pick it's a different ball of wax but the only boom/bust guy that clearly stands out is Frank. He could be the best player in the draft or not amount to much. Workouts and interviews should be critical to determining who among the available players to go with. Getting a sense of players' disposition could be the difference between a great player and a not so good one.

Fortunately, by this criteria BPA will likely be a guard. I don't see the forwards/bigs being that much better that you would have to take one.

shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,658

Post#71 » by shtolky » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:41 pm

I think history has shown us you take the best available player and you generally don't draft based on need (this is especially true for lottery teams who usually suck). Obviously the classic example is Jordan/Bowie, but the reason why so many excellent players slip is because teams get too cute with the draft. Whoever the best prospect is at 7-8, you take him. We are not a good basketball team and we need talent and assets. The Celtics could get cute because they have a very good team, we do not. If Isaac is there and he is the BPA, you take him.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#72 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:52 pm

The Knicks only have one sure-fired starter going forward, and he could theoretically play at either PF or C, so BPA is the correct strategy here.

Though we probably shouldn't completely ignore fit.
Obitron64
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#73 » by Obitron64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:34 pm

BPA. A year from now you'll be happy.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#74 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:17 pm

i Cant be the only one who isnt a fan of Tatum
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#75 » by malik959 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:10 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Here's an example - say the Knicks pick #7 and top 6 were (in no particular order):

JJ
Ball
Fultz
Tatum
DSJ
Fox

This leaves Monk, Bridges, Isaac, Frank, Lauri, and let's say Robert Williams.

Who's the best player among those players and how do you determine that? The guy with the best PER is actually Williams. Other production evaluation tools would point to Lauri or Monk. Pure potential would point to Frank or Isaac.

What is the measure for BPA and why?

Ouch. In that group I'd choose Isaac or Frank depending on who impressed me more during workouts. Work ethic is key.

This is where individual workouts really come into play. If Isaac falls to us though, you take him and dont look back. He has an all around skill that we haven't seen sense Spree. Having a point guard who can score and play d is nice, having a lengthy SF who can guard multiple positions, handle the rock, and score is better.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,264
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#76 » by BKlutch » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Obitron64 wrote:BPA. A year from now you'll be happy.

Why should we believe you?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Post#77 » by moocow007 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Well be sure to tune in tonight at 9:20 PM EST on TNT if you want to get a close look at potential future Knick Jonathan Isaac when Florida State takes on Florida Gulf Coast
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,977

Post#78 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 pm

I think every team want to draft BPA in that spot. Problem is figuring out who that is, and most players have risks
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,603

Post#79 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:I think every team want to draft BPA in that spot. Problem is figuring out who that is, and most players have risks

Yup. Especially when most of the big name prospects are only ~19 years old. What you see isn't always what you'll get and there are so many ways to evaluate a player.

For me, this question is basically asking if we should take Lauri or Robert Williams if our metrics show they're the best player on the board. To me it's a matter of degree. If you're rating the prospects close then no. If you think one is far better than the rest, then you do it.

Given the available prospects, I don't find this a worry. As prospects, none stand out far above the others in the 6-8 range.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,870

Post#80 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:48 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:BPA, which shouldn't be too difficult. We're kind of fortunate there aren't a lot of tempting bigs in the top 8.

not where we pick... but i kinda like bam. he looks like he will be good.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks