ImageImageImageImageImage

How Long Do We Give Hornacek?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Damas
Starter
And1: 1,923

How Long Do We Give Hornacek? 

Post#1 » by Damas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:03 pm

First year in coaching for this team and it has been truly putrid and this team was hyped up to get into the playoffs.....so what now? Do we give him another season or fire him half way through 2018? Honestly I find him passive, his sets are not great, rotations needs some work and overall just doesn't have the tough NY mentality a coach needs to have here to thrive. From day one I was not a fan of this signing but gave him a chance. Knicks fans are ruthless and I can't see him lasting all 3 years. Why do you people think?
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Re: How Long Do We Give Hornacek? 

Post#2 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:04 pm

I need to see some improvements next season.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#3 » by King of Canada » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 pm

We need to improve the D, but at the end of the day firing him would be worse for our team than keeping him around, even if we don't win next season. Hopefully he gets a say in personnel next season.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#4 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:09 pm

If we don't show any improvement 20-30 games into next year my preference would be to fire him.
Damas
Starter

Post#5 » by Damas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:09 pm

King of Canada wrote:We need to improve the D, but at the end of the day firing him would be worse for our team than keeping him around, even if we don't win next season. Hopefully he gets a say in personnel next season.

We have had 4 different coaches in the last 5 seasons and Phil fired Fisher midway through last season. Nothing guarantees Horny lasts through next season. Maybe a new coach with a gritty coaching style might snap some change into these bums.....or we waste another season with this coach and doing jack crap. Guess you can say I am frustrated with this team and the talent not getting us wins. Honestly speaking I think a good coach would put us in the hunt for the 5th seed in the East, comfortably with no scrambling for some wins during the last couple games of the season.
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#6 » by swisscheeseD » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Forget "How Long Do We Give", this thread should be re-titled "What Should We Give?"

I'm tired of blowing through coaches without ever properly putting them in the position to succeed. I'm no fan of Hornacek, be should be given the opportunity to take a young, up-and-coming team over from scratch, with no ego's and no distractions.

Part ways with Me7o, no band-aid moves in the off-season and remove the mole that is Rambis. I'd love to see Hornacek replace him with Alvin Gentry should he be fired in NO.

We aren't winning **** anyway...what's the worst that happens? Another tank season in another front-loaded draft? And another year off the salaries of Noah, LT?

If I'm Dolan, I tell Phil that we will honor the full length of your contract, the same way we are honoring your 2nd Head Coach hire during your tender...if you want to fire him, i'm not paying anyone else...you can coach them.

If things don't turn around from there, walk away, end the Phil era and bring in a new regime as these young guns begin to enter their prime.
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
Damas
Starter

Post#7 » by Damas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm

swisscheeseD wrote:Forget "How Long Do We Give", this thread should be re-titled "What Should We Give?"

I'm tired of blowing through coaches without ever properly putting them in the position to succeed. I'm no fan of Hornacek, be should be given the opportunity to take a young, up-and-coming team over from scratch, with no ego's and no distractions.

Part ways with Me7o, no band-aid moves in the off-season and remove the mole that is Rambis. I'd love to see Hornacek replace him with Alvin Gentry should he be fired in NO.

We aren't winning **** anyway...what's the worst that happens? Another tank season in another front-loaded draft? And another year off the salaries of Noah, LT?

Sorry but how are we going to part ways with Melo?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#8 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Hornacek will be here as long as Phil is probably
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#9 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 pm

swisscheeseD wrote:Forget "How Long Do We Give", this thread should be re-titled "What Should We Give?"

If I'm Dolan, I tell Phil that we will honor the full length of your contract, the same way we are honoring your 2nd Head Coach hire during your tender...if you want to fire him, i'm not paying anyone else...you can coach them.

If things don't turn around from there, walk away, end the Phil era and bring in a new regime as these young guns begin to enter their prime.

This is correct
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#10 » by swisscheeseD » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Damas wrote:

It's called a trade, not sure if you've ever heard of it before. It's when two teams decide to go in different directions from either a business perspective or for basketball reasons. In most cases, you don't have to consider the feelings, family situation or desire to play (or not play) in certain markets...but for the few cases in which a player has what they call a "No Trade Clause", there is an opportunity in which a mutually beneficial situation can be amicable.
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#11 » by F N 11 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:23 pm

I think its **ed up to force the triangle on him. We couldn't even let him coach. the young guys lay well for him. Get rid of Melo and Rose and see what he can do.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#12 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:25 pm

K P 6 wrote:I think its **ed up to force the triangle on him. We couldn't even let him coach. the young guys lay well for him. Get rid of Melo and Rose and see what he can do.

This myth needs to die.

Phil basically let him do whatever he wanted offensively up until the AS break. We ran the Triangle less than 6 times a game. Offense wasn't a problem before and it isn't a problem now that we've gone back to the Triangle.

The problem was always defense, and that remains a problem.
Damas
Starter

Post#13 » by Damas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm

swisscheeseD wrote:
Damas wrote:

It's called a trade, not sure if you've ever heard of it before. It's when two teams decide to go in different directions from either a business perspective or for basketball reasons. In most cases, you don't have to consider the feelings, family situation or desire to play (or not play) in certain markets...but for the few cases in which a player has what they call a "No Trade Clause", there is an opportunity in which a mutually beneficial situation can be amicable.

Another smartass. What team wants Melo right now. Go on, tell me a team that wants to have him on their squad that would benefit them and take on his contract.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#14 » by kane2021 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:27 pm

The knicks have a lot of problems. Hornacek is probably the least of them. And that's not in defense of Jeff either.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#15 » by duetta » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 pm

We need to hire a defensive coordinator type, to run and hammer home the defensive sets.

Then Hornacek needs to sit SOBs that refuse to play hard on the defensive side of the court.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#16 » by malik959 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:52 pm

I strongly feel that a lot of this can't be placed on Horny. He was placed in a position to fail. Forced to run an offense that he had no knowledge of and like most of his players he had to learn on the fly. Had no time to develope a defense because he was stuck trying to understand the triangle. Didnt have two of his starters to have a full training camp and also preseason and those players have missed significant games due to injuries.

Then in order to run the triangle successfully you have to have a pass first guard and for some reason Phill got Rose. Maybe he was planning on having a losing season so we could draft high?

Then comes Melo. This team is not built for now and should be built around KP for the future. But with Melo we're stuck in limbo because this team is poorly built, not able to win now and not properly built for the future. This draft is really going to bring us to a new'direction.
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#17 » by Jay10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:56 pm

No one is going to know what he capable of doing as a coach until #7 is no longer on the roster.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#18 » by NYKHardKnock » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 pm

I could see him getting fired halfway through the 18-19 season if the team doesn't improve
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#19 » by Jim Dolan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 pm

depends if Dolan likes him the way he liked Isiah
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#20 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 pm

malik959 wrote:I strongly feel that a lot of this can't be placed on Horny. He was placed in a position to fail. Forced to run an offense that he had no knowledge of and like most of his players he had to learn on the fly. Had no time to develope a defense because he was stuck trying to understand the triangle. Didnt have two of his starters to have a full training camp and also preseason and those players have missed significant games due to injuries.

Then in order to run the triangle successfully you have to have a pass first guard and for some reason Phill got Rose. Maybe he was planning on having a losing season so we could draft high?

Then comes Melo. This team is not built for now and should be built around KP for the future. But with Melo we're stuck in limbo because this team is poorly built, not able to win now and not properly built for the future. This draft is really going to bring us to a new'direction.

Was offense the problem this season?

Return to New York Knicks