How should Silver deal with healthy scratches?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

batmana
Sixth Man
And1: 1,424

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#81 » by batmana » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Some of the propositions are basically impossible:
1. Only have 1 (or 2, or whatever set no.) of healthy scratches - teams can simply call it a "sore whatever" and not even admit it's a healthy scratch; or, solution 2 to the same proposition - player is in uniform, on the bench and simply gets a DNP-CD. How do you regulate DNP-CDs? James Jones can get one but LeBron James cannot? How do you regulate that?
2. Having a set number of games a player has to miss if he gets injured is absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine chasing the playoffs where every game counts, having your star player get injured in the 1st half of one game, then have him completely recover by the next game but not being able to play him as a precaution against healthy scratches? That proposition is stillborn.
3. Mark in advance games where player X will be rested. LOL... really? That's just laughable. What if a player gets injured during pre-game warm-ups (which legitimately happens). What if you marked a game for resting but it turns out you need to win that game, or your star missed other games to injuries and doesn't need rest?
4. My favorite - you can rest against the hapless Lakers but not against the playoff-bound Clippers. That's on the level of "you can hit James Jones with a DNP-CD but not LeBron".

I honestly don't care about nationally televised games as I watch the games I want to watch on LP International but maybe don't schedule back-to-backs for national TV, particularly at the end of the season, and as someone wisely pointed out above, don't backload the schedule with big matchups, you are much more likely to see all players suit up for a November game then for a game in March. I think the solution is obvious - start the season earlier, do whatever you can to spread the schedule out, reduce 4 games in 5 nights, etc. Still, players will be rested but hopefully it will not be as blatant.

As for the tanking aspect of resting players (or shutting them down for the season), that's an entirely different problem that' has to do with the hope of striking gold in the lottery.
88.0 FGA Team
C - Gilmore (81-82)/McHale
PF - Rodman (91-92)/McHale (87-88)
SF - Worthy (85-86)/Rodman/Ariza
SG - Miller (93-94)/Ariza (08-09)/Dragic
PG - Johnson (88-89)/Dragic (09-10)
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#82 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:32 pm

There isn't really a way to stop it...

Expand the season? I don't think anyone wants that, the players and staff need breaks and time at home with their families and to rest their bodies.
Shorten amount of games played? Loss of revenue says no. Nobody is going to agree to make less.
Keep track somehow? Too much grey area, nearly impossible.
Give a refund option in case Bron doesn't play? I doubt the owners would even fathom that. That'd be awful for business.
Implement fining for coaches? Too controlling/grey area. Who's to tell me Mozgov can have a DNP-CD but Russell is "too good". Maybe I'm just a god awful coach that doesn't recognize talent.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#83 » by mtron929 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:00 pm

It seems like there are some people who unfairly cast the blame on the NBA/owners while thinking that the players are innocent victims in this case. There is a shared blame to this problem because most of the "solutions", the players will also be opposed. For example,

1) reduction of regular season games from 82 to some other number. Players won't like it because that would signal that their salary will be cut down by a certain proportion. They will oppose.

2) reduction of back to back games. This will signal that the regular season is longer and I believe that the players do not want to lengthen the regular season because they want more off days during the year. So they will oppose.

3) getting rid of some of the pre-season games. I suppose this is something that both the owners and the players would find amenable and thus might be the only viable solution here.

But again, my point is that the players have a say in how they can solve this problem, and they are resistant to most solutions.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#84 » by vxmike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:06 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:Not just that but the blatant tanking has never been this obvious. Shutting down players for non-health reasons just to rack up the Ls and improve your draft odds isnt in the nature of professional sports.

The issues are intertwined. Playoff teams have so many "guaranteed" wins against tanking teams after the All Star break they can afford to rest guys.

The league has so much talent these days we shouldn't have had nearly two 70 win teams last season--teams have so many "gimme" wins now against tankers.

Fix tanking and the rest issue will alleviate too since teams will be playing against opponents trying to win every night. The current system is really unfair on the schedule too depending how many tanking teams one plays in the back half of the season.

The RS is almost irrelevant now. It's beyond boring. I bet ESPN, ABC and TNT are going to regret those huge TV deals
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,544

Post#85 » by AussieCeltic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 am

Try planning a holiday from Australia around certain games and looking at the box score as "DNP - Resting". It's a big F*** you to the consumer. I've lost a lot of respect for certain players because of this.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,319

Post#86 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 am

AussieCeltic wrote:Try planning a holiday from Australia around certain games and looking at the box score as "DNP - Resting". It's a big F*** you to the consumer. I've lost a lot of respect for certain players because of this.
AussieCeltic wrote:Try planning a holiday from Australia around certain games and looking at the box score as "DNP - Resting". It's a big F*** you to the consumer. I've lost a lot of respect for certain players because of this.

I agree. The players, coaches and gms need to keep in mind that the reason why they get paid so much is because of the huge fan interest in the NBA. I know their personal interest is to win in the playoffs but this could come back to bite them in the next tv negotiations
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#87 » by King4Day » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:46 am

This is something that can't be fixed. They just have to say the player is injured and there's nothing Silver can do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Simple Solution to Players Resting 

Post#88 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:36 am

Only sit them during home games.

That is all.
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Re: Simple Solution to Players Resting 

Post#89 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 am

water is wet, the ceiling is the roof
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#90 » by GlenRiceARoni » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:45 am

You have to realize that the game has changed drastically. Human bodies can't play with this much movement, this frequently, at this level. Hormonal levels crash and propensity for injury increases drastically.

Basketball resembles soccer now with players running around to generate efficient offense. Soccer players take games off for rest as dictated by basic sports science.

In the old days (i.e. the 90's) basketball was just a lot of standing around, posting up, going 1 on 1 while everyone picks their nose at the opposite 3 point line, etc.

The style is so superior now that it's worth the small trade off.

But I agree they shouldn't be tanking the weekly nationally televised game that's just bad for business and all parties.

Also, they have to do something about the lottery. Just give the worst 6-8 teams equal shots or something.

The tank off is awful

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: RE: Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#91 » by GlenRiceARoni » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:47 am

Tukkerwolf wrote:What is the argument against an extra month of regular season? Just start at the end of September and remove b2b's...

Yeaaaah we're going to need you to start coming in on Saturdays...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,808

Post#92 » by og15 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 am

If a player sits just for rest and without them being injured or sick, etc, then they don't receive pay for the game, that's the very mean way to deal with it. They will need an independent Dr's clearance if there was no previously reported injury. Now the team/player has to go through extra work. CBA maybe wouldn't allow something like that, and I'm not saying it should be done, but messing with people's money always gets results.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#93 » by whitehops » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 am

it's like some people never heard of the saying "buyer beware".

if you know certain teams rest players or you know certain players get rested, check the schedule before you buy tickets.

- is the game a b2b?
- is the game later in the season?
- is the game during a long road trip?
- do you think either team will be in cruise mode?

etc, etc.

sometimes it's sheer luck. i'm a pistons fan and my friend is a raps fan, when tickets came on sale in the summer he wanted to see the season/home opener vs. the pistons, i convinced him to go to the game later in the season because the season opener is stupid expensive. reggie jackson ended up missing that game and the game was a blowout. both teams were healthy for the second game and it was a close, exciting game. it very easily could've worked out the opposite way.

but yeah, as some have said there is no practical way to enforce the rest-dnp's. if you let the fans dictate "we want to see lebron play x number of minutes!" then it's limiting what the coach can do - and he's trying to make the team as good as it can be to put a quality team (ie. product) on the floor. if you extend the season and limit back-to-backs it limits the offseason for the players and that's where they improve their games the most.

the league has already tried to move around this issue by spreading out the schedule, they've evened out the back to backs and such. i doubt it will get to the point where they have to reduce the number of games in the regular season or anything like that.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,100

Post#94 » by Statlanta » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:39 am

I honestly think the heavy backloading(the current Sunday and Saturday Showcases) are due to the lack of NFL now. I think they set it up so they can get the most of the NBA audience out of both the MLB and NFL but in March and April teams don't really have much to play for(except teams on the bubble of the playoffs). This allows for lottery teams to sit vets or the contenders to sit the stars since they know their likely seating. I don't know what they can do other than really making a talking point to all 30 teams before the season starts of letting everyone know who is playing before each and every game as early as possible.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#95 » by seren » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:47 am

I think every team has the right to rest players. The issue comes down to national TV games. Here is a three step process to solve it:

1) Don't schedule back to back (one day before and one day after the TV game should be off).
2) Schedule likely competitive games late in the season, ie instead of a inter-conference game like last night's, have conference games that will be likely to be competitive. For instance, I don't see Cleveland taking a game off against Boston.
3) Use a flexible schedule so as to drop possibly uncompetitive games later in the season.

These three should be enough to solve the TV issue. Tanking is a different story.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#96 » by Heezzi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 am

OrlandoTill wrote:I honestly think the heavy backloading(the current Sunday and Saturday Showcases) are due to the lack of NFL now. I think they set it up so they can get the most of the NBA audience out of both the MLB and NFL but in March and April teams don't really have much to play for(except teams on the bubble of the playoffs). This allows for lottery teams to sit vets or the contenders to sit the stars since they know their likely seating. I don't know what they can do other than really making a talking point to all 30 teams before the season starts of letting everyone know who is playing before each and every game as early as possible.

They need to stop back loading games and make games tripleheaders again like on Saturdays like back in the day.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#97 » by They_Them_Hatin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:00 am

He needs to make the fine a ridiculous amount(5-10 million for team, 1 million for coaches) and multiple penalties in a season will result in the loss of a first round pick and players would be suspended for a playoff game(s).

Those penalties are harsh but that's the only way they can reason with this group. They think they're smarter than they are when they're not.

Silver has to do something and save those idiots from themselves. If I were the execs at Disney I would be threatening to sue them. All those teams who spent foolishly or have to pay multiple players a lot of money would be killed with the loss of revenue.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,623

Post#98 » by Mik317 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:11 am

also perhaps don't have the Cavs on every saturday game? Having the same teams on national TV all the damn time also raises the chance they just so happen to rest dude for those games. And yeah obviosly those teams are big draws but perhaps actually advertising other guys changes that? Part of the NFL's success and the idea of parity despite the Patriots reign is that damn near every team gets time in the spotlight....thats not the case in the NBA. Change that.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#99 » by bubonicphoniks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 am

Personally. I don't think a thing should be done. Coaching decisions should remain coaching decisions. This is silly.
RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Post#100 » by RIP Kobe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:38 am

bubonicphoniks wrote:Personally. I don't think a thing should be done. Coaching decisions should remain coaching decisions. This is silly.

is it fair for someone to pay $500 for a ticket to see the cavs but when they get there lebron, kyrie and love are "resting"?

no, it's not okay.

ticket prices are set based on who plays on that team and how good that team is.

lebron-less cavs, tickets for the nosebleeds in toronto were $10-$30. since lebron returned to cleveland, that ticket in the nosebleeds is now $100-$130.

Return to The General Board