08 Celts players throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,642

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#21 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Froob wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:I love Rondo, dude's awesome and petty af. :lol:

Rondo said he asked the guys and the consensus was no. He said he would have let Ray come if the guys were on board.

he's Bs'ing.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#22 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:06 pm

When Rondo says Allens departure "makes you question that series in the finals, who were you for?" What the hell is he talking about? I guess he means the conference finals against Miami in 2012? Because nothing else makes sense

That said, if so, that's an incredibly petty and childish insinuation by an overrated malcontent. Essentially saying Allen was sabotaging that series for the Celts
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#23 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 pm

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:I dont see any problem with that

why would you want to invite a guy who makes you feel uncomfortable? Making all that awkward silence when ray out there hanging out with them? What's funny is that I am sure if ray was invited he would decline the offer himself.

Courtesy invites are a norm of adulthood.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,220

Post#24 » by reload141 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:25 pm

So.... changing the title to Rondo throwing a party or nuh?
cavs4life03
Starter
And1: 782

Post#25 » by cavs4life03 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 pm

I went to the supermarket to get salt and they were out if it. When i confronted the store manager he said a group of ex celtics players came and bought it all. Smh

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
young players + cap space + draft picks = bright future
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,881

Post#26 » by Effigy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Eh, it's not a team function, it's the players getting together on their own. They don't have to spend their vacation time with anyone they don't want to.

Pretty funny that they're still pissed about it so many years later though.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#27 » by CS707 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:This isn't Durant to Golden State, this is not even 15% of that.

Except that it's actually pretty close to that.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm

gst8 wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:This isn't Durant to Golden State, this is not even 15% of that.

Uh not even close. What in the world are you possibly talking about

1) OKC still had more contention level years ahead of them than Boston who was basically done, thus robbing the franchise of more
2) Kevin Durant had way more game left in him than Allen, who Boston had benched
3) again the Celtics benched ray Allen late that season. OKC did not bench Durant
4) Durant was an OKC for life, Allen was always a hired gun

Those are only a few of the billion reasons why this comparison is dumb
CS707
Head Coach

Post#29 » by CS707 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:47 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
gst8 wrote:

1) OKC still had more contention level years ahead of them than Boston who was basically done
2) Kevin Durant had way more game left in him than Allen
3) the Celtics benched ray Allen late that season. OKC did not bench Durant

Sure, OKC and Boston theoretically were trending in opposite directions. Boston vs. Miami was also a much bigger rivalry at the time of Allen's departure than GS vs. OKC when KD left. And really, the biggest bone of contention people seem to have with KD going to GS was that he had just lost to them in the conference finals, which is exactly what Ray Allen did. Emotion and agenda aside, it's more similar than not.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#30 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Ray Allen - HoFer

Rajon Rondo - salty role player

I highly doubt this is as big of a deal as it seems
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm

gst8 wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:
gst8 wrote:

1) OKC still had more contention level years ahead of them than Boston who was basically done

Sure, OKC and Boston theoretically were trending in opposite directions. Boston vs. Miami was also a much bigger rivalry at the time of Allen's departure than GS vs. OKC when KD left. And really, the biggest bone of contention people seem to have with KD going to GS was that he had just lost to them in the finals, which is exactly what Ray Allen did. Emotion and agenda aside, it's more similar than not.

Not at all similar given the trajectory of the franchises and the quality of the players who departed at the time of their departure. Not to mention again that Boston benched Ray Allen shortly before this all happened for a no name kid (at the time) who wasn't even seen as some terrific prospect. Basically incentivizing his departure even more

This isn't even remotely comparable at all.
LeeBlaze
Junior
And1: 81

Post#32 » by LeeBlaze » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:I understand the hurt feelings. But to me this is stupid a full 5 years later. The Celtics were on their last legs when Allen left, his departure certainly didn't stop Boston from doing anything in 2013. This isn't Durant to Golden State, this is not even 15% of that.

Also something about an overrated turd like Rondo continually basking in this beef with a HOFer like Allen is just off putting. Especially the version of Rondo in 08 that contributed to that team

How is it not? He left a team that knocked them out of the Conference Finals of the playoffs the same year. He went to a team with more talent. He burned bridges with teammates.

Main difference I could see is OKC had more talent, while Boston was on its last leg.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#33 » by Edrees » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
ShazamDaShiznt wrote:I dont see any problem with that

why would you want to invite a guy who makes you feel uncomfortable? Making all that awkward silence when ray out there hanging out with them? What's funny is that I am sure if ray was invited he would decline the offer himself.

Courtesy invites are a norm of adulthood.

Here's the perfect solution, courtesy Nathan Felder.

JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm

LeeBlaze wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:I understand the hurt feelings. But to me this is stupid a full 5 years later. The Celtics were on their last legs when Allen left, his departure certainly didn't stop Boston from doing anything in 2013. This isn't Durant to Golden State, this is not even 15% of that.

Also something about an overrated turd like Rondo continually basking in this beef with a HOFer like Allen is just off putting. Especially the version of Rondo in 08 that contributed to that team

How is it not? He left a team that knocked them out of the Conference Finals of the playoffs the same year. He went to a team with more talent. He burned bridges with teammates.

Main difference I could see is OKC had more talent, while Boston was on its last leg.

How is it different? Are we actually living in a world where this must be explained? One player was the best player (or co best) on a contender in his absolute prime. The other was an old post prime player on a team arrowing downward who they had recently benched and then lowballed in contract negotiations

How do some not get this? OKC had every right to feel much more hurt, they were more damaged, and unlike Boston they didn't actively alienate the player through reduced role and other things
CS707
Head Coach

Post#35 » by CS707 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
gst8 wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:

Sure, OKC and Boston theoretically were trending in opposite directions. Boston vs. Miami was also a much bigger rivalry at the time of Allen's departure than GS vs. OKC when KD left. And really, the biggest bone of contention people seem to have with KD going to GS was that he had just lost to them in the finals, which is exactly what Ray Allen did. Emotion and agenda aside, it's more similar than not.

Not at all similar given the trajectory of the franchises and the quality of the players who departed at the time of their departure. Not to mention again that Boston benched Ray Allen shortly before this all happened for a no name kid (at the time) who wasn't even seen as some terrific prospect. Basically incentivizing his departure even more

You can debate variables but the action itself is exactly the same. It's comparable on that fact alone.

The franchise trajectory/player quality is mitigated to some extent by the bitterness of the rivalry. Also, regardless of the actual tangible impact, it's obvious that Ray was still considered a core member of the team by the players... hence the ill will. It's hypocritical to rationalize the hate KD gets for his decision yet dismiss how Ray's former teammates feel about him.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:06 pm

gst8 wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:
gst8 wrote:

You can debate variables but the action itself is exactly the same. It's comparable on that fact alone.

The franchise trajectory/player quality is mitigated to some extent by the bitterness of the rivalry. Also, regardless of the actual tangible impact, it's obvious that Ray was still considered a core member of the team by the players... hence the ill will. It's hypocritical to rationalize the hate KD gets for his decision yet dismiss how Ray's former teammates feel about him.

You can't just dismiss the quality of the player as you seem to do. It's everything. You also can't dismiss the actions taken by the team to alienate the player (like benching him, and then offering him a deal that the player get insulted by) and act like Boston themselves didn't actively drive him away in a way that can't ever be accused of OKC with KD

It's just a silly comparison. Two players left in free agency for a rival. The similarities end there. There are a billion differences. A lot more differences than similarities
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#37 » by HotTubMike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Everybody passing judgment like they understand the dynamic of the '08 Celtics. Maybe on a day-to-day basis Ray Allen was a jerk.

But yea, poor Ray, everybody ganging up on him.

Sometimes within a team people don't like one other dude... it happens. It doesn't make either side necessarily wrong or right. We don't know enough to determine that.
CS707
Head Coach

Post#38 » by CS707 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:There are a billion differences

Yet you've named only two. So, we've got one similarity, two differences, and one mitigating factor.

Sounds fairly close to me.
oken
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#39 » by oken » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 pm

He is actually very observant:
It wasn’t the greatest thing that could’ve happened to us as a team, a bond. We were at war with those guys [Miami]. To go with the enemy, that’s unheard-of in sports. Well, it’s not so unheard of. It’s damn near common now.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 pm

gst8 wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:There are a billion differences

Yet you've named only two. So, we've got one similarity, two differences, and one mitigating factor.

Sounds fairly close to me.

I actually named 4 if you read up this page in a prior post, I could go on longer but this is a dumb conversation that isn't worth another key stroke. If you find ray allens departure from Boston in 2012 as similar to KD in OKC in 2016, then fine. I can't convince you and it's pointless trying further. Because someone who holds that opinion in my mind is being *willfully* unreasonable

Return to The General Board