Re: Jeremy Lin's Impact Discussion thread 

Post#281 » by jbeachboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 pm

archie goodwin is going to backup dinwiddie,
Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#282 » by Curns13 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Paradise wrote:I'd be interested in adding Mills and Hill. Deal kilpatrick and make Mills the backup.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

As an Aussies, I'd freakin love Mills, but not sure we'll be willing to pay enough to get him here. How about Booker and Skill for Cory Joseph and Toronto's 2018 1st rounder? I'd do that in a heart beat.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#283 » by bws94 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
qiantom wrote: I do not expect the Nets to be able to get any established players in the short term frankly without handling out stupid contracts. I hope they surprise me.

They won't. They will have to overpay on any free agent that's fairly established or young but restricted.

Short term, it isn't a bad thing if it is a young restricted free agent. The player can grow into the value of that contract.

The problem begins with the George Hill scenario. He is 30, and by the end of the contract he'll be a shell of what he is now, nevermind the fact that Hill's outburst this year is an outlier for his career.

Hill may want to stay where he is. Definitely has chemistry with his players and he's doing great in that system.
qiantom
Pro Prospect
And1: 105

Post#284 » by qiantom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
qiantom wrote: I do not expect the Nets to be able to get any established players in the short term frankly without handling out stupid contracts. I hope they surprise me.

They won't. They will have to overpay on any free agent that's fairly established or young but restricted.

Short term, it isn't a bad thing if it is a young restricted free agent. The player can grow into the value of that contract.

The problem begins with the George Hill scenario. He is 30, and by the end of the contract he'll be a shell of what he is now, nevermind the fact that Hill's outburst this year is an outlier for his career.

I am actually pretty optimistic that Hill will be able to maintain high performance for a couple more years. His numbers have not been impressive except for this year (low PER for example), but he has been maintaining high shooting efficiency and I think his PER was low because of low USG%. His USG% was around 15 for some years in Indiana, which is really low for a PG. IND just did not use him much on offense at times, but when they did, his PER was pretty good. And of course this year he is utilized a lot and thus better numbers across the board. This is all my prediction though and he could very well regress next year.

With all that said, he is going to command 30 million a year for 4 years like Mike Conley. He did not sign an extension with Utah so obviously he is looking for a max or close. I think everyone pretty much agrees that Conley is overpaid and he is a better player than Hill I believe. As you said, Hill does not fit Nets' time frame and Nets roster does not fit what Hill probably wants to achieve at 31 years old. In all likelihood, he will just stay in Utah and help them contend.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,701

Post#285 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 pm

bws94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Hill may want to stay where he is. Definitely has chemistry with his players and he's doing great in that system.

if the money is equal, that's no brainer
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#286 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 pm

i'd thrilled to see Hill in the Nets uniform...
hood30
Rookie
And1: 229

Post#287 » by hood30 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 pm

My guess is Hill is only trying to use Brooklyn to get his max deal, but if he really does want to be here, the Nets will probably have to sign him since there's not much talent here...Still can't believe he'll leave a playoff team for a team who's at the start of a re-building process.

I personally wouldn't sign a 31 year old to a 30M contract who has never made the All-Star and is not that much better than Lin, but if the FO is truly concern about Lin durability, it does make the move more acceptable.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#288 » by Paradise » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 pm

It doesn't necessarily matter if it's Hill or not. It could be Holiday instead.

TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#289 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Paradise wrote:It doesn't necessarily matter if it's Hill or not. It could be Holiday instead.

I will not liking Jrue in the Nets, for Lin's sake...
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#290 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Jagger-meister wrote:Not for nothing, guys need to calm down with telling everyone to fck off. I understand you can find someone constantly talking about their favorite player annoying but cursing them out isn't right. Arguing about the player is what this site is about. Making personal attacks on other posters is unnecessary. Even if you don't agree with each other, keep it civil. This place is becoming a cesspool with all of the bitterness and hostility.

Lin is the most popular player on the team. It is what it is. His fans are going to act irrationally. Counter what they are saying. It's not hard. Don't insult them personally though. That's crossing a line as men (or women).

now hold on...I never cursed anyone out or told someone to f*ck off, if I did I'd be rightfully suspended or banned. Not sure where this came from?

Jagger's referencing Prok's last post in the locked GT, not you.
Jagger-meister
Junior
And1: 49

Post#291 » by Jagger-meister » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Jagger-meister wrote:Not for nothing, guys need to calm down with telling everyone to fck off. I understand you can find someone constantly talking about their favorite player annoying but cursing them out isn't right. Arguing about the player is what this site is about. Making personal attacks on other posters is unnecessary. Even if you don't agree with each other, keep it civil. This place is becoming a cesspool with all of the bitterness and hostility.

Lin is the most popular player on the team. It is what it is. His fans are going to act irrationally. Counter what they are saying. It's not hard. Don't insult them personally though. That's crossing a line as men (or women).

now hold on...I never cursed anyone out or told someone to f*ck off, if I did I'd be rightfully suspended or banned. Not sure where this came from?

Also, I was literally called a snowflake by Tinman a few posts back, and that was allowed to fly. If I lobbed that same kind of insult, some cowards on here would run to the mods and say that I'm being abrasive, or worse, make false claims that I am THREATENING them. Yes, this is literally where this has gone, and that has unfortunately added to the reason why I went off in the Boston game thread because while I can take insults/jabs, someone making up a lie about me threatening them or stalking them over basketball discussion is shameful and to see that same poster talk trash after the fact is really crazy. How are you going to make up a serious lie to moderators, and then talk trash?? Who does that??? What the **** is wrong with some people, I'll never know.

Anyway, I'm so over this Jeremy Lin stuff. Hasn't produced any wins, isn't a long term solution, it has people who aren't even fans of this franchise insulting players, coaching, even the training staff (which is so ridiculous) and has made even me wanting to discuss the Nets on here period, because no one else I know real life or otherwise cares about this team, frankly unpleasant (to me). I didn't even bother with discussing the game yesterday because i was disgusted by this crap.

Listen man, I'm good with you despite us disagreeing (which is fun to me) about stuff like Marks and all of the regulars on here and more than a few Lin fans who I've had great discussion with. hell I was one of Lin's biggest supporters on here and I wanted him here over any other name out there in free agency, but this has literally made me hope the guy leaves after next season or asks for a trade.

It was actually about someone else for the most part
Lorenzomax7
Rookie
And1: 243

Post#292 » by Lorenzomax7 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:34 am

13th Man wrote:
Lorenzomax7 wrote:
13th Man wrote:This has been a frustrating season for Lin and the team due to his health issues. That's too bad because I think that he's become a better all-around player but If he can only hold up for 20 or so quality minutes then I can understand why they'd be looking for another PG in the off-season. They probably realize that major hamstring issues linger on and you don't just heal up and get back to 100%.

*Yes, I realize that the latest injury is an ankle sprain but all things considered....

Even IF J-Lin has been healthy all year playing at ALL-STAR level, the Nets should still find another good PG or combo guard.

This league is all about play-making duos:

Lillard/CJ
Westbrook/Oladipo
Harden/Gordon
Dragic/Waiters/TJ
Wall/Beal
Lowry/Derozan
Payton/Fournier
IT/Bradley
Hill/Hayward
Bledsoe/Booker
Irving/LBJ
Antetokounmpo/Parker
etc.

That's why they signed Tyler Johnson last summer, as a Sixth man.

Agreed, but how many of those combos consist of 2 true point guards. Imo, the Nets are obviously concerned enough about Lin's long term health if they're seeking another true pg. They will not openly say it, but I'm sure it's a factor.

If this happens, it'll look bad on Lin but it is what it is, it's a cut-throat league and teams will do what they think is best for the team over any individual player.

Cuz we need a so-called true PG to pass the ball to Brook more than a scoring one.

Not all the teams have an offensive weapon like Brook, who is Top 3 offensively among centers in the L.
Watch NBA since 1998. Huge fan of A.C. Fiorentina, Spurs & Tim Duncan, Yao Ming & Linsanity, Brooklyn & Coney Island. Former Brooklyn Chinese resident.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,544

Post#293 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:39 am

bws94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily be upset. I think he's an excellent shooter and would definitely boost us up with Lin in the backcourt. But man, maxing him out is frightening to me because of what happened with Deron Williams. I think Hill is a higher character guy but man...i don't know if its worth it especially at 5 years, 25+.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#294 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:40 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Jagger's referencing Prok's last post in the locked GT, not you.

Jagger-meister wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Also, I was literally called a snowflake by Tinman a few posts back, and that was allowed to fly. If I lobbed that same kind of insult, some cowards on here would run to the mods and say that I'm being abrasive, or worse, make false claims that I am THREATENING them. Yes, this is literally where this has gone, and that has unfortunately added to the reason why I went off in the Boston game thread because while I can take insults/jabs, someone making up a lie about me threatening them or stalking them over basketball discussion is shameful and to see that same poster talk trash after the fact is really crazy. How are you going to make up a serious lie to moderators, and then talk trash?? Who does that??? What the **** is wrong with some people, I'll never know.

Anyway, I'm so over this Jeremy Lin stuff. Hasn't produced any wins, isn't a long term solution, it has people who aren't even fans of this franchise insulting players, coaching, even the training staff (which is so ridiculous) and has made even me wanting to discuss the Nets on here period, because no one else I know real life or otherwise cares about this team, frankly unpleasant (to me). I didn't even bother with discussing the game yesterday because i was disgusted by this crap.

Listen man, I'm good with you despite us disagreeing (which is fun to me) about stuff like Marks and all of the regulars on here and more than a few Lin fans who I've had great discussion with. hell I was one of Lin's biggest supporters on here and I wanted him here over any other name out there in free agency, but this has literally made me hope the guy leaves after next season or asks for a trade.

It was actually about someone else for the most part

yeah, i realized after the fact. I'm glad I took yesterday to just not post about the Nets, that scene in there was ugly.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#295 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:42 am

qiantom wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I am actually pretty optimistic that Hill will be able to maintain high performance for a couple more years. His numbers have not been impressive except for this year (low PER for example), but he has been maintaining high shooting efficiency and I think his PER was low because of low USG%. His USG% was around 15 for some years in Indiana, which is really low for a PG. IND just did not use him much on offense at times, but when they did, his PER was pretty good. And of course this year he is utilized a lot and thus better numbers across the board. This is all my prediction though and he could very well regress next year.

With all that said, he is going to command 30 million a year for 4 years like Mike Conley. He did not sign an extension with Utah so obviously he is looking for a max or close. I think everyone pretty much agrees that Conley is overpaid and he is a better player than Hill I believe. As you said, Hill does not fit Nets' time frame and Nets roster does not fit what Hill probably wants to achieve at 31 years old. In all likelihood, he will just stay in Utah and help them contend.

That's a good point about his usage. He'd definitely get an uptick here, and frankly it isn't next year or the year after i'd be worried about. It's about George Hill at 34, 35 that I'd be fearful of. Some NBA players fall off of the cliff once they near mid 30s.

Lorenzomax7
Rookie

Post#296 » by Lorenzomax7 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 am

Anyway, the Nets do give Lin a full quarter to taste the Linsanity every close game.

31.9%, this is Lin's USG% of the 4th quarter for the Nets this season.
31.7%, this is Lin's USG of the whole game for the Nix at the peak of Linsanity.

I think many Lin fans owe McHale an apology, cuz what he said is reasonable:

"They just kept giving the ball to Jeremy... that was crazy and unsustainable."

Lin is still "young". The age of 28 is nothing relating to be being old, technically being at 28 could be as athletic as being at 24. The problem is, physically Lin is not as great as Westbrook, LBJ and Harden, not even J-Wall. His body is just as normal as the likes of Dragic, Bledsoe, Teague, etc. He can be an All-star player one day if he is free from those major injuries. But right now? Let's pray he can prove himself a sustainable starting PG at first.

Grades of the stars mentioned above
Historical monster: Westbrook, LBJ(the younger one)
Superstar: Harden, CP3(younger version)
All-Star: Wall, JLin(at best)
Borderline All-Star: Dragic, Teague, Bledsoe, JLin(potential)
Average starting PG: JLin(at worst)
Watch NBA since 1998. Huge fan of A.C. Fiorentina, Spurs & Tim Duncan, Yao Ming & Linsanity, Brooklyn & Coney Island. Former Brooklyn Chinese resident.
Jagger-meister
Junior
And1: 49

Post#297 » by Jagger-meister » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 am

Lorenzomax7 wrote:Anyway, the Nets do give Lin a full quarter to taste the Linsanity every close game.

31.7%, this is Lin's USG of the whole game for the Nix at the peak of Linsanity.

Lin is still "young". The age of 28 is nothing relating to be being old, technically being at 28 could be as athletic as being at 24. The problem is, physically Lin is not as great as Westbrook, LBJ and Harden, not even J-Wall. His body is just as normal as the likes of Dragic, Bledsoe, Teague, etc. He can be an All-star player one day if he is free from those major injuries. But right now? Let's pray he can prove himself a sustainable starting PG at first.

Lin belongs in the borderline starter category. That's what you call someone who struggles to play 25 minutes a game. I don't care what his per 36 is when 13 of the 36 minutes is imaginary.

It's similar to baseball when a relief pitcher becomes a starter. A good relief pitcher gets to let it cut lose because they aren't expected to play for more then a couple of innings. When they get put into a starting position, their numbers always go down or they break down.

Lin unfortunately is the type of player who breaks down as a primary player. He did on the Knicks and he is on the Nets. He made one full season as a starter in Houston in large part because he was Tito to Harden's Michael. Just like with his previous two starting gigs, he is unlikely to return into a starting role for year 2. So no Lin is not a borderline All-Star. He also run of the mill guard who breaks down with high usage. I can't even say that with a straight face because he cant play 10 consecutive games without getting hurt.

It's cute that you make silly post like this. I do appreciate the laughs during a dreadful season. Borderline allstar :lol: I wonder if you are this funny in person.
Lorenzomax7
Rookie

Post#298 » by Lorenzomax7 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Jagger-meister wrote:
Lorenzomax7 wrote:Anyway, the Nets do give Lin a full quarter to taste the Linsanity every close game.

Lin belongs in the borderline starter category. That's what you call someone who struggles to play 25 minutes a game. I don't care what his per 36 is when 13 of the 36 minutes is imaginary.

It's similar to baseball when a relief pitcher becomes a starter. A good relief pitcher gets to let it cut lose because they aren't expected to play for more then a couple of innings. When they get put into a starting position, their numbers always go down or they break down.

Lin unfortunately is the type of player who breaks down as a primary player. He did on the Knicks and he is on the Nets. He made one full season as a starter in Houston in large part because he was Tito to Harden's Michael. Just like with his previous two starting gigs, he is unlikely to return into a starting role for year 2. So no Lin is not a borderline All-Star. He also run of the mill guard who breaks down with high usage. I can't even say that with a straight face because he cant play 10 consecutive games without getting hurt.

It's cute that you make silly post like this. I do appreciate the laughs during a dreadful season. Borderline allstar :lol: I wonder if you are this funny in person.

For me it's not important how you feel about him but how the Nets plan to treat him. There is no sign the Nets are giving up on him. Ntm Atkinson is still the coach.
And I did say...
Let's pray he can prove himself a sustainable starting PG at first.

Funny how you couldn't read.
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#299 » by tonman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Jagger-meister wrote:

You use imaginary data yourself. Injuries happen. Look around the league. For the knicks he went from barely p,aging to high minutes. You use his 25 mpg but don't mention that it is by design coming back from injury.

Your analogy is wrong regarding relief pitcher because he also is the spot starter and when he does start his numbers show that he plays well. No he is not all star but he is starter level. You have to put things in context there are 30 starting PGs thus around 25-35 are your so called borderline PGs. Given the quality of the position that's pretty good. You knock him down for his houston role yet the starting season he averaged 32 mpg and over 6 apg as the 2nd fiddle which he had to have the ball in his hands to accomplish.

And you have no clue what will be next season. If you think the Nets should spend more money to replace a position that they have filled then so be it. Most players in the league are replaceable.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#300 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:14 pm

This is the first season where Lin has really dealt with a significant injury. I think he at least deserves a full season next year to prove whether he is a capable starter or not. bringing in another ballhandler to pair with him in the backcourt won't take away from that

Return to Brooklyn Nets