ImageImageImage

Offseason Speculation, Trade & Free Agency Ideas & Discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 4: A Knight to remember all Tuckered out! 

Post#841 » by thamadkant » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

If Suns trade Bledsoe and Chandler for Drummond...

Trade Knight for other assets.

Drafts one of Ball/Jackson/Fultz

Suns become as promising as Wolves if not more promising. Would be pushing for playoffs in a season or two.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 4: A Knight to remember all Tuckered out! 

Post#842 » by BobbieL » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:38 pm

carey wrote:
BobbieL wrote:Gottlieb speculating that if Alford goes to Indiana, Earl Watson could be in play at UCLA. Interesting thoughg

I've read that. I know Indiana will be putting the full court press on Miller too. Like some team does every single Spring. Watson doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would quit on something, but with how much he reveres UCLA I just don't know. UCLA will want a proven recruiter though. That isn't Watson though I do believe he is much more suited to college than the pros. Also, fwiw, Gottlieb doesn't know anything. It's just a talking point.

Well, Jordan Schultz sent a tweet that somebody said was 100% not true that Indiana offered Alford 31m/7 years. Now, if it were Andy Katz, might have legs. Jordan Schultz - worse than Broussard. And Gottlieb, agree with you.

As for Watson and recruiting - he would have the advantage of knowing the Ball brothers are going there no matter what for the next couple years. Watson does love UCLA - I think he would do fine

Part of me likes the idea of Watson as he is helping these guys mature as people and learning how to act like NBA players. But sometimes, you might need a better X's and O's coach. Probably still too early in the rebuild for the better "in game strategical coach."

I just know wonder what the Suns will get for Brandon Knight
DaleyBlind
Veteran
And1: 1,832

Post#843 » by DaleyBlind » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:49 am

What are we doing with our 2nd round pick

Use it
Draft and stash
Attach it with Knight to dump him
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,797

Post#844 » by Saberestar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:24 pm

DaleyBlind wrote:What are we doing with our 2nd round pick

Use it
Draft and stash

We have two 2nds.

I would draft a player at #33 to fill our roster next season and I would trade that Raptors pick next to Knight.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#845 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm

DaleyBlind wrote:What are we doing with our 2nd round pick

Use it
Draft and stash

Second round picks don't usually go for $45 million.

33rd pick...keep...it's like a late first in a deep draft.

Late pick, no reason not to keep. Won't get much in a trade...worth taking a flyer on or draft and stash. Many undrafted guys make rosters...we would basically get our pick of undrafted guys....a Troy Williams/DJJ type guy maybe. McD good at this lately.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#846 » by DirtyDez » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Jay Williams on Mike & Mike this morning said Alford is going back to Indiana and Watson to UCLA. Earl has said it's the only place he'd coach if he went back to the college ranks but I have t heard anything about UCLA being interested in him.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#847 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm

DirtyDez wrote:Jay Williams on Mike & Mike this morning said Alford is going back to Indiana and Watson to UCLA. Earl has said it's the only place he'd coach if he went back to the college ranks but I have t heard anything about UCLA being interested in him.

I don't know why Alford would leave UCLA for Indiana. Obviously he went to Indiana, but his last stint there as coach didn't end so well and left a scar on the program, UCLA is a bigger name, they are suddenly a powerhouse. Why leave? I don't see any upside.

And same with Watson. He seems to LOVE coaching the Suns and love his players. As a matter of fact, I think I recall him mentioning the work Love at one time or another. He has spent the last what, 15 years in the NBA, developing connections. I just can't see him going to UCLA unless he were to lose his job.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#848 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:Jay Williams on Mike & Mike this morning said Alford is going back to Indiana and Watson to UCLA. Earl has said it's the only place he'd coach if he went back to the college ranks but I have t heard anything about UCLA being interested in him.

I don't know why Alford would leave UCLA for Indiana. Obviously he went to Indiana, but his last stint there as coach didn't end so well and left a scar on the program, UCLA is a bigger name, they are suddenly a powerhouse. Why leave? I don't see any upside.

And same with Watson. He seems to LOVE coaching the Suns and love his players. As a matter of fact, I think I recall him mentioning the work Love at one time or another. He has spent the last what, 15 years in the NBA, developing connections. I just can't see him going to UCLA unless he were to lose his job.

I guarantee you Watson would jump at going to UCLA. He absolutely idolizes Wooden and talk about his time on campus with almost religious reverence. He is a natural salesman and would love recruiting, and his coaching style is a better fit for college than the pro game. It is the ideal long term career spot for him.

I have no idea about Alford going to Indiana. Its his alma mater and they could offer him a boatload of money, I guess. Living is also cheaper.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#849 » by NTB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:38 pm

carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Post#850 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 pm

NTB wrote:http://www.basketballinsiders.com/fixing-the-phoenix-suns-2/

I like Tatum but not over Josh Jackson. I feel like Tatum is another player who needs the ball in his hands a lot to succeed and that seems to be what Booker is (and Bledsoe as well).
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#851 » by kennydorglas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:03 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I guarantee you Watson would jump at going to UCLA. He absolutely idolizes Wooden and talk about his time on campus with almost religious reverence. He is a natural salesman and would love recruiting, and his coaching style is a better fit for college than the pro game. It is the ideal long term career spot for him.

I have no idea about Alford going to Indiana. Its his alma mater and they could offer him a boatload of money, I guess. Living is also cheaper.

Watson looks like a great coach for college basketball, I wouldnt be mad if he jumps on this opportunity.
NBA is a whole different monster.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#852 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:13 am

kennydorglas wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Watson looks like a great coach for college basketball, I wouldnt be mad if he jumps on this opportunity.

I wonder if UCLA would really want him. It seems like they would want a successful college coach...not that I think Alford is going anywhere anyway. Last time he was at Indiana there was a big sex scandal. They'd look dumb to bring him back. I just posted an article on the General Board about it today where a Philly publication stated as much.

But I still don't think Watson is the type to quit on this family of love he has here.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#853 » by kennydorglas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 am

bwgood77 wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

I wonder if UCLA would really want him. It seems like they would want a successful college coach...not that I think Alford is going anywhere anyway. Last time he was at Indiana there was a big sex scandal. They'd look dumb to bring him back. I just posted an article on the General Board about it today where a Philly publication stated as much.

But I still don't think Watson is the type to quit on this family of love he has here.

Yep, Indiana fired Crean when MM was just starting... so I dont expect much from them. I wouldnt be surprised at all.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#854 » by Zelaznyrules » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 am

bwgood77 wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

I'm a little confused here, I don't remember Alford ever coaching at Indiana? I know there was a rape scandal at Iowa while he was coaching there and some other problems at New Mexico (or NM State?) but I don't believe he's ever coached at his alma mater. I do however believe he is taking the job when the tourney is over. He felt forced to give back a year on his contract due to pressure to fire him (or his Asst/Coaches) and I don't think he's ever going to forgive UCLA for turning on him so quickly.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#855 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 am

Zelaznyrules wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:

I'm a little confused here, I don't remember Alford ever coaching at Indiana? I know there was a rape scandal at Iowa while he was coaching there and some other problems at New Mexico (or NM State?) but I don't believe he's ever coached at his alma mater. I do however believe he is taking the job when the tourney is over. He felt forced to give back a year on his contract due to pressure to fire him (or his Asst/Coaches) and I don't think he's ever going to forgive UCLA for turning on him so quickly.

OK, I'm thinking Iowa, but I think Indiana had their own sex scandal related to the football program not long ago, so it would be a bad look...maybe it wasn't football..but some sort of scandal.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#856 » by Zelaznyrules » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

OK, I'm thinking Iowa, but I think Indiana had their own sex scandal related to the football program not long ago, so it would be a bad look...maybe it wasn't football..but some sort of scandal.

Could be, I don't follow any of the other sports as closely as I do college basketball and I try very hard to avoid hearing about all the scandals. I just remember the Alford/Iowa scandal because it was brought up a few times when Alford was first hired by the Bruins.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#857 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:53 am

Such a vexing offseason ahead of us. We will take one of Fultz-Ball-Jackson if we get into the top 3, and then likely Tatum if we are at 4, but after that, the path is quite unclear.

We're likely to sell off Chandler, Knight and probably Bledsoe, too. I can't imagine who will bid highest for Bled, but I suspect we'll be looking to dump Chandler and Knight for next to or exactly nothing.

Given the ill-fitting yet valuable pieces we have to work with, I struggle terribly to guess at what is likely for us.

Rosterbating is excessively pointless at this time, when we do not yet know where we'll be drafting. But I will say that I fully expect that we'll be adding players via trade as well as through the draft. The ground is fluid beneath us. Magma. Let's hope it forms up a mountain.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#858 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:49 am

Chandler, Knight, Bledsoe, Len, Dudley, Barbosa is about $70m difference in cap keep vs trade.

If the right decision is to trade some / most of them, that needs to be spent very wisely.

Bledsoe has missed 33% of games through injury with us, I'm not sure how you commit $200m until he's 34, so if there's doubt the best time to move is now in the best PG draft potentially in history.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#859 » by Damkac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 am

The most exciting thing about the Suns for me is that they could have Ulis, Bender, Wiliams and maybe even Warren... As their bench squad! They could kill other teams with deepth. Suns also shouldn't have any problems with keeping Ulis and Sauce as both have reasons to want to stay in Phoenix.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,634

Post#860 » by Qwigglez » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 pm

If we ended up drafting 5th or even 6th would you guys be willing to trade that pick and Knight for Cousins? Just wondering if you guys feel the twin towers experiment is over and is not at all successful.

Return to Phoenix Suns