ImageImageImageImageImage

Is there any chance at all Phil takes over at any point?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Is it still possible for Phil Jackson to take over as coach of the New York Knicks?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes: 63

shmeakone
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,436

Is there any chance at all Phil takes over at any point? 

Post#1 » by shmeakone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 am

Basically what the topic is asking.

Lets assume we finish the season with around 30 wins again. Next season we get off to a rough start and its just not looking good.

Do you see Phil shocking the world and taking over as head coach in his early 70s?
My lifetime better have a Knicks championship.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,893

Re: Is there any chance at all Phil takes over at any point? 

Post#2 » by DaGawd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:27 am

shmeakone wrote:Basically what the topic is asking.

Lets assume we finish the season with around 30 wins again. Next season we get off to a rough start and its just not looking good.

Do you see Phil shocking the world and taking over as head coach in his early 70s?

Nah, I really don't think his health would allow it, He's probably die mid season
BaF
Washington Wizards
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,112

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm

I voted yes just because that's what I hope happens. Will it? I think if next season is a dud again that Dolan will "insist" that Jackson coach. Whether Jackson does or quits is the question should that scenario play out. Let's be real, if the Knicks struggle again next season, someone is going to have to take the blame. The most likely "escapegoat" will be the head coach so Hornacek IMO will be the first to go. Should that potential inevitability occur, I can't see Dolan agreeing to paying 3 head coaches at the same time in addition to paying for the most expensive front office executive in NBA history to stink up the joint. Will Jackson take on the challenge (which IMO Dolan can, should and will make if they stink next season)? Or will he figure out a way out? He doesn't have an opt out for next offseason, that's this offseason. So he can't simply make a break clean. Maybe that's what Dolan is planning and why Dolan seems so gung ho on "sticking by" Jackson this offseason.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#4 » by Ignitowsky » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 pm

In the immortal words of Bill Russell, there are two chances. Slim and none and slim left town. I don't see Jackson tarnishing what's left of his legacy by taking the helm of a floundering team. He's also said many times that he's just not up to it health-wise
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#5 » by god shammgod » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm

he can't handle one job, you're gonna give him two ?
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#6 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Phil isnt going to tarnish his "legacy" by coming out of retirement to coach this bum ass team.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,302

Post#7 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

No. Ib4tl
:beer: RIP mags
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#8 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm

we have a tank level squad...Phil would never allow himself to coach whatever trash team we trot out next season
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#9 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm

I think so

But only if we see another season where we go all in for winning

Like we add Chris Paul or something and we're still not runnnign the triangle gen perhaps Phil steps in

But right now he's got a job with no accountability, a massive paycheck and multiple scapegoats in place
I don't think he places himself any further in the crosshairs
Leeroy Jenkins
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#10 » by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 pm

It's not a matter of whether he wants to or not. He's physically unable. Barring some Benjamin Button-esque recovery, it's not gonna happen.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2009975-phil-jackson-reiterates-that-he-couldnt-coach-ny-knicks-even-if-he-wanted-to
TinyLinny wrote:Irregardless, make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#11 » by god shammgod » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:36 pm

i don't really buy that he's completely unable. if he really had a contender on his hands, i think it would be difficult for him but he would push through and do it to win another ring. this team, that he put together, is just not worth it for him to exert himself.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,409

Post#12 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Lol no. That old man ain't coming back unless the team looked like it could win a championship. By the team the team looks like they could win a championship he'll probably be 95.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Ignitowsky wrote:In the immortal words of Bill Russell, there are two chances. Slim and none and slim left town. I don't see Jackson tarnishing what's left of his legacy by taking the helm of a floundering team. He's also said many times that he's just not up to it health-wise

Jackson's legacy is already tarnished by what he's done in NY as a VP of Ops. Now of course he can always "qualify" his greatness with the words "head" and "coach" but the best way to not have to qualify his greatness at all is to actually prove that his moves in the front office is not the reason that this team still stinks to high heaven.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

god shammgod wrote:i don't really buy that he's completely unable. if he really had a contender on his hands, i think it would be difficult for him but he would push through and do it to win another ring. this team, that he put together, is just not worth it for him to exert himself.

Pretty much.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,252

Re: RE: Re: Is there any chance at all Phil takes over at any point? 

Post#15 » by DOT » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:In the immortal words of Bill Russell, there are two chances. Slim and none and slim left town. I don't see Jackson tarnishing what's left of his legacy by taking the helm of a floundering team. He's also said many times that he's just not up to it health-wise

Jackson's legacy is already tarnished by what he's done in NY as a VP of Ops. Now of course he can always "qualify" his greatness with the words "head" and "coach" but the best way to not have to qualify his greatness at all is to actually prove that his moves in the front office is not the reason that this team still stinks to high heaven.

IMO, it'll be like MJ in the wizards
People will bring it up from time to time, but what he did in Chicago/LA will massively overshadow it

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#16 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:52 pm

I don't think Phil's legacy is tarnished at all. he's a hof coach that had the greatest player of all time and then a player who mimicked the greatest player of all time.

No one expected him to lift the Knicks up to anything respectable...I sure didn't, and that was well known.

But really, Phil isn't able to go through a seasons grind of coaching, and no player of ring status is joining the Knicks especially if the think Phil is about to parade the sidelines.

Most players hate the triangle. :lol:
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#17 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 am

moocow007 wrote:

I don't agree Moo. In my opinion it doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do as the head of basketball operations with us or anyone else. Ask anyone to name the greatest coaches of all time and Jackson's name will always be in that conversation.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#18 » by Red Vines » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:47 am

My thinking is that Phil is going full-blown Triangle from here on out. I think there's a chance Dolan decides to fire him at the end of the year. But if he doesn't then I think Jeff is gone because he's not the Triangle expert which Phil will want. Dolan won't let him hire a new coach so it would be Phil. Phil knows Rambis is trash. So...if he's not fired and wants to go full-blown Triangle (both very possible) I think he'll be forced to take over.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,561

Post#19 » by ctorres » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 am

He is too fat and out of shape right now to coach.

If he works out over the summer, then maaaaaybe.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: Is there any chance at all Phil takes over at any point? 

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 am

K-DOT wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

IMO, it'll be like MJ in the wizards
People will bring it up from time to time, but what he did in Chicago/LA will massively overshadow it

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Do you mean MJ in the same role with the Hornets? That is more of what Jackson has found himself. Jordan has been pretty much brutal as the guy running things in Charlotte. The only reason that he hasn't gotten as much dirt thrown at him is he's in Charlotte. Can you imagine if it was in a big media market?

But yeah, you're probably right. Ultimately Jackson and history will probably favor the coaching success and not the front office failure (if it ends up being failure).

Return to New York Knicks