ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#841 » by Mecca » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:33 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
Mecca wrote:Funny how 6-7 years ago, the Mets made the decision to keep Wright over Reyes because they thought Wright's game would hold up longer. Ironic, right?

Reyes might be the best non-rookie contract in baseball right now. I love Jose.

The problem was that the Mets built a park essentially for Reyes, then they let him go because they didn't think his legs would hold up. He constantly had hamstring problems back then and while it hurt letting him go, I agreed with the decision. You don't give big time contracts to those players reliant on their legs, see Ellsbury.

That's a fair point and I agree on all aspects. Ellbury contract was a fireable offense.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,449

Post#842 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 am

Mecca wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:I'm not sure about Duda's health. I don't really know how David Wright is doing either but I heard someone with knowledge on the radio say that Wright can't throw at all. If true he needs to move to 1B and stay there. Or retire.

I thought I heard from Ed Coleman that they won't play Wright at first until they see him throw from 3B. Even at 1B, Wright would have to make throws. I think he's done.

Funny how 6-7 years ago, the Mets made the decision to keep Wright over Reyes because they thought Wright's game would hold up longer. Ironic, right?

Reyes might be the best non-rookie contract in baseball right now. I love Jose.

One can never account for future injuries when it comes to FAs. I wasn't crazy about extending Wright at the time mostly because it seemed like his career arc was not in sync with our rebuild. But the Wiponzis wanted to keep fannies in the seats and didn't want to anger the fans anymore than they already had.

EDIT: And what MP said.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#843 » by reub » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Tebow with another hit today. I miss him already!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#844 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:33 pm

ClydeRules wrote:Tebow with another hit today. I miss him already!

LOL, stop. I hope you're not serious about this Tebow thing.

There's an article in the Post re Duda. Looks like he completely healthy and swinging the bat better than he has in the last 3 years according to Collins. : )
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#845 » by reub » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

There's an article in the Post re Duda. Looks like he completely healthy and swinging the bat better than he has in the last 3 years according to Collins. : )

No I'm not. He's just a diversion to help get me through the spring. Hey, does anyone know where to get opening day tickets without getting ripped off? I've looked at ebay, ticketsnow, vivid, stubhub but the extra fees seem quite high.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#846 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:44 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

No I'm not. He's just a diversion to help get me through the spring. Hey, does anyone know where to get opening day tickets without getting ripped off? I've looked at ebay, ticketsnow, vivid, stubhub but the extra fees seem quite high.

Go to the CF ticket booth? I think face value is going to be the best you can do. Is the game sold out?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#847 » by reub » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Go to the CF ticket booth? I think face value is going to be the best you can do. Is the game sold out?

Totally. :(
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#848 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:13 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:

Friends with tickets or else your f*cked. Watching it a bar with your other friends who also don't have tix is probably the next best thing imo.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#849 » by reub » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Friends with tickets or else your f*cked. Watching it a bar with your other friends who also don't have tix is probably the next best thing imo.

Long range forecast is predicting rain. Haha!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#850 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

That's one thing I missed about the Mets being bad, it was always easy to get tickets. They don't even do those partial plans anymore, they were great. Opening Day, Subway and a few games against some good teams.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#851 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:41 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:

Long range forecast is predicting rain. Haha!

:lol: There ya go. Probably find cheap tix too if you still want to go.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#852 » by reub » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:That's one thing I missed about the Mets being bad, it was always easy to get tickets. They don't even do those partial plans anymore, they were great. Opening Day, Subway and a few games against some good teams.

Yes they've definitely raised their prices, probably to pay off what Wilpon owes for the Madoff mess from years ago.
They still have 20 game plans but any good seats will cost you now.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#853 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:14 am

ClydeRules wrote:Yes they've definitely raised their prices, probably to pay off what Wilpon owes for the Madoff mess from years ago.

I'm lucky if I go to that many games over the course of the season, last year I was slacking and only went to three. The one good thing with the Mets now is that your never in danger of having to sit through a Trachsel game anymore... I'm looking at the positives.

Thor
Harvey
DeGrom
Matz
Gsellman/Lugo

To anyone, what is your preference of starting pitchers to go and actually watch?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#854 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:49 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:Yes they've definitely raised their prices, probably to pay off what Wilpon owes for the Madoff mess from years ago.

I'm lucky if I go to that many games over the course of the season, last year I was slacking and only went to three. The one good thing with the Mets now is that your never in danger of having to sit through a Trachsel game anymore... I'm looking at the positives.

Thor
Harvey
DeGrom
Matz
Gsellman/Lugo

To anyone, what is your preference of starting pitchers to go and actually watch?

Harvey's had a horrible spring. Velocity isn't there at all as well as command problems. I have to believe he stays down in Florida for extended ST. Wheeler probably tool. No reason to rush those guys with Lugo and Gsellman around.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#855 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:32 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Harvey's had a horrible spring. Velocity isn't there at all as well as command problems. I have to believe he stays down in Florida for extended ST. Wheeler probably well. No reason to rush those guys with Lugo and Gsellman around.

I meant being at the stadium, Harvey Day is still quite the event.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#856 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Harvey's had a horrible spring. Velocity isn't there at all as well as command problems. I have to believe he stays down in Florida for extended ST. Wheeler probably well. No reason to rush those guys with Lugo and Gsellman around.

I meant being at the stadium, Harvey Day is still quite the event.

Matt pitched very well today. I'm watching my DVR now with the game in the 1st inning and he's already dialed it up to 96 mph. Great sign. 6 innings, 5 hits, 2 ERs, 1 BB, 4 Ks
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#857 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:55 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Matt pitched very well today. I'm watching my DVR now with the game in the 1st inning and he's already dialed it up to 96 mph. Great sign. 6 innings, 5 hits, 2 ERs, 1 BB, 4 Ks

He's never going to be the ace he looked like he was becoming, but he's still going to be one hell of a pitcher. Most matchups he should have the advantage, he's one of if not the best number three pitchers in baseball. A part of me will always be a fan of him because at a time he was the only thing worth watching when it came to the Mets, I still remember where I was and what I was doing when he made his first start. He's just another perfect example of someone that got built up and people enjoyed taking him down brick by brick.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#858 » by mugzi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:06 am

Yeah but will he be resigned especially with Boras as his agent? I always thought he should be traded for a bat while he still has good value.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#859 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:28 am

mugzi wrote:Yeah but will he be resigned especially with Boras as his agent? I always thought he should be traded for a bat while he still has good value.

That was always my thought too. I can easily see him going to the Yanks. They'll be ready to start spending on FA pitchers by next off season. And the Yanks have a lot of good hitting prospects. It would seem like we'd be good trade partners. But you know these two teams hardly ever make trades.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#860 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:29 am

I always figured we'd be able to keep two pitchers, that's looking like Noah and DeGrom. I'd love to keep all of them, but we all know that's not possible. Harvey on the open market IF he bounces back this year, would easily price himself out of a Mets uniform. He could be excellent trade deadline bait, but if we're competitive and we should be what's the point of trading him?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks