Is the brutha Kaepernick being blackballed?

Moderator: bwgood77

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Is the brutha Kaepernick being blackballed? 

Post#1 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Yes.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: Is the brutha Kaepernick being blackballed? 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:18 pm

I expect someone will sign him somewhere between the draft and training camp.
PapaBear53
Junior
And1: 619

Post#3 » by PapaBear53 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:38 pm

No
CDior510
Junior
And1: 105

Post#4 » by CDior510 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Nobody told him to be a political activist and sucky player in the same season. He was very critical to gaining a platform for BLM, but it was at the wrong time unfortunately for his football career. He'll be an arm on somebody's OTA squad, and more than likely a back-up somewhere. I'm never high on draft QB's unless they're a absolute stud.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:32 am

He probably is. NFL owners are like that.

But - he also doesn't fit in many offenses across the league. That's a bigger issue. Only ones that come to mind are teams that use read option predominantly. There aren't that many.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,372

Post#6 » by Dominator83 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:58 am

Yes......but that has alot to do with the fact that he also just happens to suck now. If he was still good, somebody would have signed him. At the same time, hes pretty damn smart imo. Last year knowing that he can't play anymore, he found a clever way to keep himself relevant and set himself up for a political career
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:38 am

Dominater wrote:Yes......but that has alot to do with the fact that he also just happens to suck now. If he was still good, somebody would have signed him. At the same time, hes pretty damn smart imo. Last year knowing that he can't play anymore, he found a clever way to keep himself relevant and set himself up for a political career

Some leader and fighter for the cause he was speaking about. After everything he put himself threw, he admits he doesn't vote. Hypocrite.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:07 am

He sucks. So yeah...
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#9 » by jwise44 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 am

I think he is being blackballed, but like someone said before, it's also cause he isn't good enough to warrant the backlash he may cause at this time in my opinion

But I also agree with bjj that some team will sign him when the season gets closer, he isn't so bad he can't be a backup qb...or even a starter for some teams

I think he's an idiot for the fact that he did that whole protest and then didn't vote, but he has been doing some good stuff lately, like getting a plane and packing it full of water for I think Syria? And donating a lot to orphans recently....even if it's just to repair his image it's still impressive to me
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:35 pm

jwise44 wrote:I think he is being blackballed, but like someone said before, it's also cause he isn't good enough to warrant the backlash he may cause at this time in my opinion

But I also agree with bjj that some team will sign him when the season gets closer, he isn't so bad he can't be a backup qb...or even a starter for some teams

I think he's an idiot for the fact that he did that whole protest and then didn't vote, but he has been doing some good stuff lately, like getting a plane and packing it full of water for I think Syria? And donating a lot to orphans recently....even if it's just to repair his image it's still impressive to me

Hey, Houston needs a QB. There you go. Romo doesn't want to go there anymore and I really don't think Jerry wants him in Houston either. America's Team doesn't want anyone taking a bite out of our fan base apple tree.
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#11 » by papidulo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:00 am

I dont think hes gonna be blackballed the whole year, but him having a bad year and his protests, def made teams less likely to jump at the chance to sign him. Pretty sure after the draft when teams have a more clear picture of their QB depth charts that he'll be picked up.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#12 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Hes not great pocket passer and i dont see him being a good back up QB for lot of teams.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,535

Post#13 » by righterwriter » Thu Apr 6, 2017 10:44 am

Do you guys know what "blackballed" means in this context? It would be a conspiracy by all 32 owners to ensure that nobody signs him. Think of how crazy that is. That would mean that every single billionaire owner located across the entire country got together and had a meeting in some private setting that no one knew about and decided in consensus that they had to ensure this guy would not be signed.

It wouldn't be something shared over email or discussed over the phone on a conference call (good luck getting all of these guys free for a couple hours to discuss only this), not to mention the risk entailed with anyone finding out about this which could potentially cause massive damage to the league and bring about financial penalties and perhaps something much worse (loss of ownership for the leaders) related to collusion and discrimination.

That's one explanation of why he's unsigned. The other explanation is that he's ranked as one of the worst starting QBs in the league as a drop back passer over the last two years. His YPA is in the lower 15% of all QBs, he underthrows the 1st down marker more than any QB in the league by far, and he took more sacks per game than any other QB, his completion % was 26th in the league.

It's true that he had no weapons last year, but he still looked absolutely terrible, lost, and was ineffective at throws over 10 yards.

So if we can look at his play and say that he wasn't a very good QB in a traditional system, which makes him not such an attractive target for most teams, but then throw in the fact that indeed he is a divisive figure absolutely with fans and almost certainly in the locker room (if for nothing else than all of the attention he brings from the press) then you can see why teams aren't jumping up to sign him. There are also reports that he wants $8-9M a year and it becomes even more clear why the guy is unsigned.

Not everything is about racism and oppression, despite what Colin wants you to believe. It's mostly about production. The world isn't a Pepsi commercial.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#14 » by shawn_hemp » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:42 pm

righterwriter wrote:Do you guys know what "blackballed" means in this context? It would be a conspiracy by all 32 owners to ensure that nobody signs him. Think of how crazy that is. That would mean that every single billionaire owner located across the entire country got together and had a meeting in some private setting that no one knew about and decided in consensus that they had to ensure this guy would not be signed.

It wouldn't be something shared over email or discussed over the phone on a conference call (good luck getting all of these guys free for a couple hours to discuss only this), not to mention the risk entailed with anyone finding out about this which could potentially cause massive damage to the league and bring about financial penalties and perhaps something much worse (loss of ownership for the leaders) related to collusion and discrimination.

That's one explanation of why he's unsigned. The other explanation is that he's ranked as one of the worst starting QBs in the league as a drop back passer over the last two years. His YPA is in the lower 15% of all QBs, he underthrows the 1st down marker more than any QB in the league by far, and he took more sacks per game than any other QB, his completion % was 26th in the league.

It's true that he had no weapons last year, but he still looked absolutely terrible, lost, and was ineffective at throws over 10 yards.

So if we can look at his play and say that he wasn't a very good QB in a traditional system, which makes him not such an attractive target for most teams, but then throw in the fact that indeed he is a divisive figure absolutely with fans and almost certainly in the locker room (if for nothing else than all of the attention he brings from the press) then you can see why teams aren't jumping up to sign him. There are also reports that he wants $8-9M a year and it becomes even more clear why the guy is unsigned.

Not everything is about racism and oppression, despite what Colin wants you to believe. It's mostly about production. The world isn't a Pepsi commercial.

All good points. And I think when you compile this with the fact that he is causing a public controversy (not talking about the BLM movement or anything, simply Kaep kneeling during the national anthem. That will always rub people the wrong way), he is blacklisting himself.

If he was just going about his business, someone would at least throw him a training camp spot. But the fact that his production was declining AND he is causing a public debate, is digging his own grave.

And I cant help if Im the only one who feels like this, but does anyone else think Kaepernick is too light skinned to be championing a civil rights issue?
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#15 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:57 pm

PapaBear53 wrote:No

It's official. Your wrong.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#16 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Hell yea
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#17 » by bleu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Whether it is fair or not, the bottom line is that Kaep has a negative national spotlight which will follow him everywhere he goes. Of course it's sort of messed up, but he did put the target on his own back. Anything he says, he'll be praised for and killed for. TMZ follows him to the grocery store.

Is he a decent backup or even a lower-tier starter in the NFL? I absolutely think so. But is a decent backup or lower-tier starter worth the headache which would come with it? 32/32 NFL teams have decided no.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#18 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 pm

He definitely is being "blackballed". Some team should have signed him by now.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#19 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Then... who should sign him?

Seemed like Seattle was a great fit and yet they passed. And as I noted when this discussion first started - he is a fit only in certain situations based solely on his skill sets. Is he being blackballed solely on taking a knee... or his salary demands... or the fact he has taken significant steps back from the year of the Super Bowl run...

And - before anyone tries to say "Dallas"... the Cowboys made it clear early on (February - it is documented) that they were going with Kellen Moore as their backup and were drafting of looking at grooming a rookie. Based on that as well as what Kap is looking for salary wise, there isn't a fit here.

Floor is open... Dicsuss!
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,722

Post#20 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Raiders? We only have Connor Cook as a back up iirc. Oh, & EJ Manuel.

EDIT: I'm thinking more of if we get to the playoffs & something happens.....
Kaep would have more playoff experience, just saying.

Return to The General NFL Board