RealGM
And1: 4,062

Corey Seager Viewed as Having Best Trade Value for 2017 

Post#21 » by Ranma » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:41 am

Jonah Keri, SI.com (3/22/17)

2017 MLB Trade Value Player Rankings: Nos. 50–1

Jonah Keri, SI.com (3/21/17)
Clayton Kershaw, SP, Dodgers (21)

He’s still the best pitcher on the planet, but Kershaw has a clause in his contract that says he can become a free agent at the end of any season in which he’s traded, assuming the trade happens in-season. He’d still have a ton of value as a rental—just not top-50 value.

Jameson Taillon, SP, Pirates
Julio Urias, SP, Dodgers

Taillon and Urias are two more players with less than one year of major league service time who have a chance to become impact players. On the other hand, Taillon not long ago missed two whole seasons to injury (Tommy John surgery, then an inguinal hernia). He’s not quite there yet.

Urias might have the better future of the two. He’s just 20 years old, whiffed 25% of the batters he faced in his 77-inning MLB debut and comes with a huge pedigree. The Dodgers have an absolutely jaw-dropping amount of lefthanded talent in their rotation.

2017 MLB Trade Value Player Rankings, Part I: Introduction, Honorable Mentions, Just Missed
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: 2017 Spring Training 

Post#22 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:59 pm

How is Rich Hill doing?

Guess he doesn't care about ST at all.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Calhoun's Organizational Value and Path 

Post#23 » by Neddy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:but there also is a room for a utility role ( although poorly, regarding his defense) and don't forget, it has been a long time since this team had a professional pinch hitter. Dave Hanson and Olmedo Saenz come to mind. young players rarely excel in that role as they need to play everyday to get in rythme, but if there ever was a kid who could handle the pressure of being a pinch hitter along with inconsistent at bats given, this kid is the closest thing to being just that. I love, LOVE his natural ability to hit. being short, also don't forget, shortens the strike zone for the pitchers. when you are in a pinch and the pitchers are sweating, guys like Matt Stairs shines the most. Calhoun is built just like Matt. short and stocky, hits with power and has a great, natural swing.

That's a good point in favor for Calhoun, but he has yet to prove that as of now at the Major-League level. Still, even if he did succeed in such a role, his value to the organization should still be higher in trading him than using him as our designated pinch-hitter. However, by using him as our regular reserve batter to start out his MLB career in a couple of years, it may actually showcase his hitting ability and up his trade value.

also, is a very sound argument.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#24 » by Neddy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 am

Quake Griffin wrote:How is Rich Hill doing?

Guess he doesn't care about ST at all.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

despite getting hit hard, I really liked his command of his curveballs. he was throwing good mix of fastballs that lost their locations but his velocity seemed usable. I was sitting behind the home plate for both games, and got to really see the breaks on the ball well.

Chris Taylor played well, but so did ****. the last infield/utility job is gonna be a tough one to choose. I still like **** beause of his incredible ability to cover just about all positions defensively, and he was hitting well. but Chris was good. very dependable defender for sure at SS.

Rob Segedin vs Ike Davis vs SVS. it's hard to tell who will win it as I only see 1 spot among 3 of them, but I know who looked the worst... SVS. didn't look good on the field, took bad swings, you guys know how much I was advocating for him a couple of years ago with his a HR/19 at bats ratio, but I think his time as a dodger might be over.

i dunno about the Puig the Hitter making a drastic improvement, but Puig the Right Fielder is still putting fear into runners' minds. a guy got a legit stand up double when the line drive found a soft spot between the padding and dirt by the very corner of the RF, but as soon as he saw Puig getting to the ball, he immediately stopped and didn't even attempt to take a step towards the second.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#25 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Scott Kazmir just being an abysmal **** failure.

Wish we never thought of putting him in Greinke's place. What an annoying player to have on your roster, around your clubhouse, with rumors floating about when he's coming back into the fold like I give a damn.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#26 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Justin Masterson is a Dodger
Neddy
RealGM

Post#27 » by Neddy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Justin Masterson is a Dodger

yeah but not an LA dodger.

Him and Brandon Morrow can make a nice one two punch combo for OKC's 2017 AAA championship trophy.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#28 » by Neddy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 am

anybody else happy to see healthy Ryu back? aside from him being a distant relative to my wife, I am superhappy to see the 3.00 ERA, back to back 14 game winner to comeback as our 4th starter. that is some depth.

PS- I only posted ERA and Ws because I couldn't remember any of his advanced stats... don't get too hung up on the traditional stats. but his advanced looked good the last time i checked them out too.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

ESPN the Magazine Feature on Corey Seager 

Post#29 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:53 am

Read on Twitter

Robert Sanchez, ESPN.com (3/27/17)
His swing is already legendary around here; the efficiency with which Seager deploys his most lethal gift is profound. Power hitters are often famous for the violence of their swings, the high leg kicks and viciousness of force through the ball. Seager is the antithesis. There are no grand movements. His head is perfectly still, his back elbow perpendicular to his sinewy body. There's a small toe-tap, a wide yawn of a step, a mass of controlled action ready to be unleashed forward. Seager's left-handed swing is like the undercurrent of a river -- liquid and beautiful and deceptively powerful, the source of its strength invisible to the naked eye.

When he watched Seager in person, the old shortstop couldn't believe what he was witnessing. "I thought his style was a lot like me," Ripken says. "He's fundamentally sound. He's strong in his lower half. He's got good footwork. He works well off the backhand, like I used to do. ... He's big. I saw him and thought, Wow, he's even bigger than I imagined."

Showstopper
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Urias Waiting in the Wings Before Taking Flight 

Post#30 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 am

Doug Padilla, ESPN.com (3/28/17)
The Dodgers are not saying how long Urias will be kept in wait mode, but the estimate on when the left-hander could join the Dodgers' rotation is some point in May.

Talent is not the issue. Urias proved last season that he is plenty talented to pitch at the major league level, going 5-2 with the Dodgers, including a 3.39 ERA. He had a 2.37 ERA over his last 16 appearances (69 1/3 innings). Instead, the Dodgers are intent on keeping a close watch on his innings count.

The Dodgers want the young pitcher to increase his innings totals incrementally. Last season he threw 82 2/3 innings at the major league level (5 2/3 of which were in the postseason) and 122 total including his work in the minor leagues.

In 2015, Urias threw 80 1/3 innings at four separate minor league levels.

The Dodgers are not saying what Urias' innings range will be for this season, but it is possible the 150-inning area could be a target. Assuming an average of six innings per start, Urias still could make 25 starts for the Dodgers if he is held to 150 innings.

Dodgers' Julio Urias Will Open Season at Extended Spring Training
Ranma
RealGM

ESPN's PreSeason Prognosticated Best-Worst-Case Scenarios 

Post#31 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:33 am

ESPN.com (3/27/17)

Editor's note: While the rankings were voted on by a panel (Jim Bowden, Eric Karabell, Tim Kurkjian, Schoenfield and Jayson Stark), the projected records and division standings were determined by ESPN Insider Szymborski using his ZiPS system.

2017 Power Rankings: Best and Worst Case for Every Team

Jayston Stark, ESPN.com (3/28/17)

Why Your Team Won't Win the World Series
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#32 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Neddy wrote:anybody else happy to see healthy Ryu back? aside from him being a distant relative to my wife, I am superhappy to see the 3.00 ERA, back to back 14 game winner to comeback as our 4th starter. that is some depth.

PS- I only posted ERA and Ws because I couldn't remember any of his advanced stats... don't get too hung up on the traditional stats. but his advanced looked good the last time i checked them out too.

I will continue to be cynical about Ryu until he starts putting up zeroes in the regular season and consistently takes the ball every 5th day.

I want to see it first before I get hyped.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#33 » by Neddy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:anybody else happy to see healthy Ryu back? aside from him being a distant relative to my wife, I am superhappy to see the 3.00 ERA, back to back 14 game winner to comeback as our 4th starter. that is some depth.

I will continue to be cynical about Ryu until he starts putting up zeroes in the regular season and consistently takes the ball every 5th day.

I want to see it first before I get hyped.

you'll be on baord by May. this cat's personality and his track record tells a very much his own kind of a man who doesn't care about outside pressure much. he sure took his time to come back, but his confidence and pride is oozing out of every interview and article I have read recently, just like how he was when he was dominating in KBO or early years in MLB. that sense of arrogance was not there during his injured/rehabbing couple of years. come the first regular season start, I have no doubt he will hit the 90s consistently. I think he got through the camp with great results while saving a little for himself for the real game.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

April Fool's or Not, Gagne Better Than Hatcher 

Post#34 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 1, 2017 11:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers