ImageImage

Offseason 2016/17 Thread - Scooter Cut

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: Offseason 2016/17 Thread (Feliz and Joba signed) 

Post#441 » by wichmae » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:32 pm

The Scooter thing is so stupid. If they thought he was a bad fit then why not let him go before winter meetings and protect Diaz. Its dumb we needed to create a 40 man spot for friggin Rob Scahill.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,957

Post#442 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Read on Twitter

*reporter emoji*
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#443 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Arcia 2 HR. Hope that carries over.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#444 » by wichmae » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Aguilar's raw power is insane.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#445 » by M-C-G » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

wichmae wrote:The Scooter thing is so stupid. If they thought he was a bad fit then why not let him go before winter meetings and protect Diaz. Its dumb we needed to create a 40 man spot for friggin Rob Scahill.

Forget who was on the fan talking about this, but they were shopping Scooter and must have figured there would be at least some market for him leading into the season, but when they couldn't get what they wanted for him, sounds like they figured just letting him go versus making him report to the minors where they wanted to get younger guys playing time was a better option.

The way Stearns seems to know young guys (as I recall Diaz was a minors guy, might be wrong), if he didn't feel the need to protect him, probably tells me all I need to know.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#446 » by M-C-G » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

*reporter emoji*

Rangers Interesed In Wily Peralta
By Mark Polishuk | March 26, 2017 at 9:21pm CDT

Some Rangers officials watched Brewers righty Wily Peralta start this weekend as Texas continues to look for rotation depth, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. It’s been a rough pair of seasons for Peralta, who was limited to 108 2/3 IP in 2015 due to an oblique injury and then posted a 6.68 ERA through his first 13 starts last season. After a demotion to the minors, however, Peralta returned in good form, posting a 2.92 ERA over his final 61 2/3 innings. Peralta will earn $4.275MM this season and isn’t eligible for free agency until after 2019, so Grant notes that he would fit the Rangers’ preference for a controllable pitcher. Milwaukee and Texas have already linked up on two trades since David Stearns took over as the Brewers’ GM, most notably last summer’s five-player swap that saw Jonathan Lucroy join the Rangers.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Offseason 2016/17 Thread - Scooter Cut 

Post#447 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 pm

I think Stearns is playing hardball on dealing anyone out of the rotation and it's smart. They've decided to go with less position players and this will figure itself out in a month or two.

Davies and Nelson are rotation locks. I still don't like Nelson's long-term viability but he still gets another year. I'd like to see Nelson dealt if he shows any flashes, but he'll probably just hang around in the middle of the rotation for a while.

Guerra is an early lock, but if he is complete trash, he gets sent down or converted to long relief. Hopefully he's good and you can deal him and this opens up a rotation spot.

Garza is a rotation lock and given 1 month. If he's pretty good, he's dealt. If he's OK, maybe he gets one more month. If he still is mediocre/sucks, he's cut or traded to some team that is willing to take on even a tiny burden of his contract.

Peralta is an early lock. If he's good early, you either deal him or start to consider him for your long-term plans. If he sucks, convert him to a late bullpen guy.

Milone probably is given the option to report to AAA or maybe makes it as a 6th starter/long relief guy.

Anderson starts in long relief (does he have any options left?), transfers into rotation when one of the dominoes falls in front of him.

Jungmann is also waiting in the wings.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#448 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:27 pm

M-C-G wrote:
wichmae wrote:The Scooter thing is so stupid. If they thought he was a bad fit then why not let him go before winter meetings and protect Diaz. Its dumb we needed to create a 40 man spot for friggin Rob Scahill.

Forget who was on the fan talking about this, but they were shopping Scooter and must have figured there would be at least some market for him leading into the season, but when they couldn't get what they wanted for him, sounds like they figured just letting him go versus making him report to the minors where they wanted to get younger guys playing time was a better option.

The way Stearns seems to know young guys (as I recall Diaz was a minors guy, might be wrong), if he didn't feel the need to protect him, probably tells me all I need to know.

As pointed out by Outlander, we were running out of slots as well. You've got 15 non-majors spots on your 40 man (and that shrinks with 15 day DL guys). As **** as Kirk, garbage bullpen guys, utility infield guys, etc. are, you still have to have a few of those guys on your roster. I get that we're in a massive rebuild, but they'd have had to have put Diaz on the 40, blown through all of his options, and then hoped he was ready for the majors in 2 or 3 years when he is currently only in single A.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#449 » by M-C-G » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

As pointed out by Outlander, we were running out of slots as well. You've got 15 non-majors spots on your 40 man (and that shrinks with 15 day DL guys). As **** as Kirk, garbage bullpen guys, utility infield guys, etc. are, you still have to have a few of those guys on your roster. I get that we're in a massive rebuild, but they'd have had to have put Diaz on the 40, blown through all of his options, and then hoped he was ready for the majors in 2 or 3 years when he is currently only in single A.

I have a lot of faith in Stearns and to me, if we lost Diaz (or any other player) it wasn't just a mistake. It was either intentionally or more likely in this case a calculated risk with a guy he was willing to lose.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#450 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 pm

M-C-G wrote:

Yeah I would imagine this was the case and also going into spring training they probably felt that Scooter had a decent shot at a bench spot if they couldn't find a trade partner. When Agular hit the hell out of the ball that spot disappeared and they changed course. I can't fault them for that. Now with that said it wouldn't have bothered me at all if they would have simply non-tendered Scooter back in December.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#451 » by El Duderino » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Scooter is no loss.

He's a platoon secondbaseman with limited range defensively and a below average arm at turning double plays.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#452 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Guerra, Davies, Peralta, Anderson, Nelson rotation. Garza to the 10-day.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,957

Post#453 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Guerra, Davies, Peralta, Anderson, Nelson rotation. Garza to the 10-day.

Ugly, ugly rotation. Bullpen is gonna have to outperform expectations, like they do basically every season.

That said, I've got a feeling we're gonna see Hader, Woodruff, and Espino by July.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,223

Post#454 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:06 pm

I was hoping Garza would have at least a decent first half so we can flip him by the deadline.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#455 » by M-C-G » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:34 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I was hoping Garza would have at least a decent first half so we can flip him by the deadline.

flip him in to the dumpster maybe
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#456 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm generally a disabled list conspiracy theorist. At this point even a healthy Garza is unlikely to conjure up enough value to get much in a trade...BUT this buys some time to maybe flip somebody else and maybe still get Garza a healthy month.

I think there is a debate on when you bring up pitchers. Hader will be pitching "meaningless" innings if he comes up this year but some say to bring these guys up before their arm blows out. The Brewers tend to hold them in the minors as long as possible and that is probably Garza's value to the team that he is another guy that will soak up some innings and block these guys' service clocks.

No value in cutting him right now, but maybe as the trade deadline approaches and he still has zero value he may get cut. The Rangers dumped several million dollars for like 2 weeks of Kyle Lohse last year so it's entirely possible that some contending team that is starving for pitching will eat a million bucks of Garza's remaining deal or something like that.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#457 » by wichmae » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:I'm generally a disabled list conspiracy theorist. At this point even a healthy Garza is unlikely to conjure up enough value to get much in a trade...BUT this buys some time to maybe flip somebody else and maybe still get Garza a healthy month.

I think there is a debate on when you bring up pitchers. Hader will be pitching "meaningless" innings if he comes up this year but some say to bring these guys up before their arm blows out. The Brewers tend to hold them in the minors as long as possible and that is probably Garza's value to the team that he is another guy that will soak up some innings and block these guys' service clocks.

No value in cutting him right now, but maybe as the trade deadline approaches and he still has zero value he may get cut. The Rangers dumped several million dollars for like 2 weeks of Kyle Lohse last year so it's entirely possible that some contending team that is starving for pitching will eat a million bucks of Garza's remaining deal or something like that.

This is the way Im looking at it too. It buys the team some time to make any decisions about the rotation. Gives guys at least one start and maximizes discussion time if there is a trade that could be made. It also protects against injury to another player. SO Iget what theyre doing.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#458 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:03 pm

Yeah, and I guess if I didn't clearly state it, I'm pretty sure that if the Brewers were a contending team and Garza was in his prime, this groin injury would not inhibit him from toeing the rubber to open the regular season.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#459 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:31 pm

I get not wanting to start haders service clock too soon but i hope we see him at some point this year. Getting innings against mlb batters is valuable and then there's the whole Colorado springs nightmare that you hope doesn't mess him up.

Honestly I think the brewers tend to be a little too conservative on bringing up young guys. I get why but i guess im more the throw them in the pool and see if they can swim type.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#460 » by humanrefutation » Sun Apr 2, 2017 3:08 am

Looks like Cravy and Scahill didn't make the opening day roster despite good Spring Trainings, which apparently pissed them both off. Cravy threatened to quit the organization until walking it back on Twitter later.

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/4/1/15150656/taylor-jungmann-makes-milwaukee-brewers-bullpen-tyler-cravy-rob-scahill-upset-at-being-cut

Return to Milwaukee Brewers