ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,625

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#901 » by mpharris36 » Tue Apr 4, 2017 12:54 pm

Mecca wrote:Don't know why Mets fans have such anguish against Yankees and their fan base. I'm a Yankees fan through and through, but like to see the Mets winning more than any team I'm not a fan of in the metropolitan area. Baseball is a different sport in that regard, in my opinion. I really like what Sandy is building.

mecca im not saying you were that type of fan but lets not kid ourselves yankee fans made it unbearable to be a mets fans in the mid 90's all the way up until like 2012...growing up in that era you grew up with a lot of yankee fans that threw it in your face that the yankees were the greatest and the mets sucked. Every year championship or bust when we were stuck in hell.

It isn't even like a Giants vs Jets thing its way worse than that. The Giants have had a lot of success but still relative to the rest of the NFL they are a good franchise but have more humble sense that I have noticed because as a Giants fan its the only championship I've seen. So I see it from both perspectives.

I know a lot of Jets fan that don't hate the Giants but I know a lot of Mets fans that hate the Yankees because of the mantra that give off that they are better then you...again not saying the yankees shouldn't give you that sense because 27 championships vs the next closest at 11...its not even fair.

I think its a more fan to fan type of hate/jealousy where it started and I think it is more directed at the 30 year old yankee fan that basically has never seen losing up until these past few years and Mets fans are enjoying the smack down to reality.

The yankees will be fine though with the addition of young talent, it will just take a little bit of time to build up that pitching staff. I think the Mets fans are just relishing for the first time in a very long time its a Mets town currently...just let us have our moment. We do need to cap it off with a championship though to really stake claim.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#902 » by Mecca » Tue Apr 4, 2017 3:34 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Mecca wrote:Don't know why Mets fans have such anguish against Yankees and their fan base. I'm a Yankees fan through and through, but like to see the Mets winning more than any team I'm not a fan of in the metropolitan area. Baseball is a different sport in that regard, in my opinion. I really like what Sandy is building.

mecca im not saying you were that type of fan but lets not kid ourselves yankee fans made it unbearable to be a mets fans in the mid 90's all the way up until like 2012...growing up in that era you grew up with a lot of yankee fans that threw it in your face that the yankees were the greatest and the mets sucked. Every year championship or bust when we were stuck in hell.

It isn't even like a Giants vs Jets thing its way worse than that. The Giants have had a lot of success but still relative to the rest of the NFL they are a good franchise but have more humble sense that I have noticed because as a Giants fan its the only championship I've seen. So I see it from both perspectives.

I know a lot of Jets fan that don't hate the Giants but I know a lot of Mets fans that hate the Yankees because of the mantra that give off that they are better then you...again not saying the yankees shouldn't give you that sense because 27 championships vs the next closest at 11...its not even fair.

I think its a more fan to fan type of hate/jealousy where it started and I think it is more directed at the 30 year old yankee fan that basically has never seen losing up until these past few years and Mets fans are enjoying the smack down to reality.

The yankees will be fine though with the addition of young talent, it will just take a little bit of time to build up that pitching staff. I think the Mets fans are just relishing for the first time in a very long time its a Mets town currently...just let us have our moment. We do need to cap it off with a championship though to really stake claim.

To be honest, I'm 23, so I was an adolescent during those 90's days. It's definitely not a Mets town though. Let's be honest. I work in NYC and 90% of people are decked in Yankee gear. Maybe it's a split if anything
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#903 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 4, 2017 3:38 pm

Mecca wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

To be honest, I'm 23, so I was an adolescent during those 90's days. It's definitely not a Mets town though. Let's be honest. I work in NYC and 90% of people are decked in Yankee gear. Maybe it's a split if anything

They just did a poll on it. Everybody back on the Mets bandwagon.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/new-york-now-has-more-mets-fans-than-yankees-fans/
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#904 » by reub » Tue Apr 4, 2017 8:43 pm

Lugo has a slightly torn ligament in his pitching elbow. Thanks, WBC!
Lotsix
Rookie
And1: 287

Post#905 » by Lotsix » Wed Apr 5, 2017 5:17 pm

It has become a mets town again..we have the better young talent(look at the staff alone) and the better team, you guys have a stud prospect at SS but ours is better.

Mets will win the 2017 WS :nod:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#906 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 6, 2017 7:04 pm

Lotsix wrote:It has become a mets town again..we have the better young talent(look at the staff alone) and the better team, you guys have a stud prospect at SS but ours is better.

Mets will win the 2017 WS :nod:

The Wilponzis didn't help matters any with all the Madoff stuff and the team's financial condition.

But I think we do have a really good shot at it so long as we stay healthy.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,442

Post#907 » by NYKnickerbocker » Fri Apr 7, 2017 12:56 am

good start by harvey, terry shouldve left him in after running through the whole pen last night tho. only 77 pitches

fans heckling kemp the first game got him locked in lol
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#908 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 7, 2017 4:16 am

NYKnickerbocker wrote:good start by harvey, terry shouldve left him in after running through the whole pen last night tho. only 77 pitches

fans heckling kemp the first game got him locked in lol

Wheeler will probably have a pitch limit in tonight's game too. I think his longest outing in ST was 5 innings. I can see him going 6 if he's sailing along, but that's probably it.

Nice to see Wilmer hit a 2-run HR and d'Arnaud had a 2-RBI double.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#909 » by reub » Fri Apr 7, 2017 2:07 pm

Yes Harvey looked really good. He looked sleeker, more focused, more ready to just go after the hitters without delay. His command and location were excellent. He actually reminded me in terms of efficiency and ball movement of the great Bartolo Colon in his approach and that's a good thing. I believe that he hit 94 or 95 on the radar gun and that will probably get better.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#910 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 7, 2017 3:39 pm

ClydeRules wrote:Yes Harvey looked really good. He looked sleeker, more focused, more ready to just go after the hitters without delay. His command and location were excellent. He actually reminded me in terms of efficiency and ball movement of the great Bartolo Colon in his approach and that's a good thing. I believe that he hit 94 or 95 on the radar gun and that will probably get better.

I saw his first strikeout was a 95 mph fastball. He threw up it up at 97 in spring training. I think he's just focusing on commanding all his pitches at this point and that we'll see more velocity as the weather warms up. All in all, this is great news.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#911 » by reub » Fri Apr 7, 2017 7:24 pm

Let's hope for the same from Wheeler tonight.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#912 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 7, 2017 7:53 pm

What I was happy to see was that Harvey was in complete control of the game, he was letting his defenders do some work. Instead of challenging every single batter, he was content with being a pitcher. 77 pitches for 6 and 2/3rds is incredible in this day and age and a miracle for one of our pitchers. That's always been my biggest qualm with Thor, 77 pitches is like four innings for him. Hopefully Harvey can keep it up, he looked spectacular. Not to mention he got more run support last night than he did for all of last year combined.

Can't wait to see the adventures of the crown this year, they replaced the belt with the Crown this year.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,526

Post#913 » by Lord Commander » Fri Apr 7, 2017 8:02 pm

If Zack gives us a solid 6 tonight...Oh boy... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#914 » by mugzi » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:19 am

Lookslike Zack got his cap twisted tonight. Let's hope he gets better soon.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#915 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 8, 2017 5:17 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:If Zack gives us a solid 6 tonight...Oh boy... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

:-?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#916 » by reub » Sat Apr 8, 2017 5:27 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ToHoleWithSoul wrote:If Zack gives us a solid 6 tonight...Oh boy... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

He didn't. How did he look out there?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#917 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 8, 2017 8:09 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

LOL, I actually watched the Knicks game instead. When I switched it over to the Mets game, the damage was already done so I switched back.

I read that Wheeler pitched in some bad luck. A couple of bloop hits into the OF and a slow roller hit by the pitcher with an .059 BA. So my peeps over on AmazinAvenue weren't overly concerned. I'm gonna choose to try and not get too worked up about a possible slow start.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#918 » by reub » Sat Apr 8, 2017 8:17 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

LOL, I actually watched the Knicks game instead. When I switched it over to the Mets game, the damage was already done so I switched back.

I read that Wheeler pitched in some bad luck. A couple of bloop hits into the OF and a slow roller hit by the pitcher with an .059 BA. So my peeps over on AmazinAvenue weren't overly concerned. I'm gonna choose to try and not get too worked up about a possible slow start.

He's limited to 120 innings, I believe, so if he has a slow start and a slow finish we might get one or two decent games out of him in the middle. :D
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#919 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 9, 2017 2:32 am

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#920 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Apr 9, 2017 2:45 pm

It's the one thing I hated about this team last year and it appears to be the case again this year, we rely way to much on the long ball. The speed isn't there, we can't get on base and we simply can't hit at the moment. Wheeler dazzled in that first inning, hitting 97 and should some nasty stuff. He's going to be OK, this is a year for him to get in shape and he will probably dominate next year. Gsellman had some control issues, but I'm not to worried about him. Fourth youngest starter in baseball this year, easily overlooked by most.

Still really hoping we go after a Hosmer/Abreu for first base, this team is going to need an injection at some point.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks