ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,356

Re: OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN. 

Post#61 » by NoStatsGuy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:20 am

didnt like pimp a butterfly too much.gkmc is probably my all time fav. "Damn." has potential, need to listen to it more tho.
im bout dat action boss
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#62 » by Mecca » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Spoiler:
ChilledAlex wrote:
Mecca wrote:Here's the theory behind another Kdot album dropping Sunday

Ok I'm super convinced now. You don't just make yourself a Jesus in all songs, die in song, release album on good friday and leave all these hints of 2nd album and then not deliver..

Kdots just out of this world :pray:

It was my theory from the get-go.

If you listen to the album, he's giving the theme of how he'll be 'judged,' an anguish of why he's so upset at society, people not listening to him, almost that he's the martyr for our society. Sounds a lot like what happened on Good Friday. We'll see if he rises on Sunday with another album.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#63 » by whocares1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Mecca wrote:
Spoiler:
ChilledAlex wrote:
Mecca wrote:Here's the theory behind another Kdot album dropping Sunday

Ok I'm super convinced now. You don't just make yourself a Jesus in all songs, die in song, release album on good friday and leave all these hints of 2nd album and then not deliver..

Kdots just out of this world :pray:

It was my theory from the get-go.

If you listen to the album, he's giving the theme of how he'll be 'judged,' an anguish of why he's so upset at society, people not listening to him, almost that he's the martyr for our society. Sounds a lot like what happened on Good Friday. We'll see if he rises on Sunday with another album.

So how long are we supposed to wait till Kendrick rises? :)
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#64 » by Jose7 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Don't be that guy..don't try to be that guy. The growth the multiple personalities the paranoia the realness the Black plight...man..he captured everything and I'm not even referencing his untouchable ability to rap and captivate word for word. Every word is meaningful, purposeful...how can we even rank this yet in his catalogue?
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#65 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Mecca wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:I'm not a big Drake guy. Too much of a swagger jacker for my tastes. He has a good ear though.

culture vulture

I usually keep my nose out of Drake arguments because they tend to go nowhere and I'm biased but I cant stand when people call him a culture vulture. If Drake's a culture vulture then 99% of rap are "culture vultures"
Mecca
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:I'm not a big Drake guy. Too much of a swagger jacker for my tastes. He has a good ear though.

culture vulture

I usually keep my nose out of Drake arguments because they tend to go nowhere and I'm biased but I cant stand when people call him a culture vulture. If Drake's a culture vulture then 99% of rap are "culture vultures"

It stems from him jumping on the latest trends in hip-hop. More so than other artists.
Brooklyn Nets
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#67 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Mecca wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Mecca wrote:culture vulture

It stems from him jumping on the latest trends in hip-hop. More so than other artists.

Please tell me more about these other artists that aren't jumping on the latest trends.

Migos jumped on the Future trap music trend which was started by Gucci who pretty much followed Lil Wayne's footsteps.

Kanye jumped on T-Pain's autotune trend on 808's and has jumped on plenty of bandwagon's since then.

Rap has always been a copycat game. Drake isn't the first to put his own spin on chit and won't be the last.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#68 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Please tell me more about these other artists that aren't jumping on the latest trends.

Migos jumped on the Future trap music trend which was started by Gucci who pretty much followed Lil Wayne's footsteps.

Kanye jumped on T-Pain's autotune trend on 808's and has jumped on plenty of bandwagon's since then.

Rap has always been a copycat game. Drake isn't the first to put his own spin on chit and won't be the last.

Migos' flow is quite unique. They have their own cadence which is why they're so popular.

Kanye did autotune totally different than T-Pain/anyone else.

It just stems from the past few years. The PND flow/sound to the Caribbean influence, to now grime rap. It just rubs me the wrong way.
Brooklyn Nets
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,374

Post#69 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:48 pm

yall nigs were tripping balls with all those controversial ideas he was coming out with another album yesterday lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,336

Post#70 » by rajajackal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Jose7 wrote:Don't be that guy..don't try to be that guy. The growth the multiple personalities the paranoia the realness the Black plight...man..he captured everything and I'm not even referencing his untouchable ability to rap and captivate word for word. Every word is meaningful, purposeful...how can we even rank this yet in his catalogue?

tough to rank KL's discography. i can't say this is better or worse than TPAB yet, but it's definitely growth as an artist and yet again i find myself completely captivated by a kendrick lamar record
Mecca
RealGM

Post#71 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:15 pm

I'd venture off to say DAMN is his best work yet. It's the book of Deuteronomy essentially. What happens on earth, stays on earth. That's why he's letting all of his feelings and opinions out. FEAR is in my opinion, a top 3 K. Dot song of all time.
Brooklyn Nets
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#72 » by frogfood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:he got an annoying voice i cant listen to him like that, dope artist though

That was how I felt for the longest but man, the content is too good to ignore. "DAMN." is excellent.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#73 » by Phish Tank » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:46 pm

I can understand many of the criticisms some have with this album, but it's impossible to compare each of Kendrick's albums to one another. Kendrick & Top Dawg have been switching up things since GKMC. Section80 and some of the earlier work led up to GKMC. TPAB was a bit more politically active and deep. This is more of a straightforward album. I went through the album twice (going through it for a third time now), but this is another complete effort that again solidifies Kendrick in that upper echelon.

Since Kendrick's been hanging out with Hov, he's learned how to be unpredictable with his art. He's under the circle of influence. Hov, Beyonce (Freedom is one of his best collabs to date).... hell that circle of influence has rubbed off onto Frank Ocean. Kanye's still embedded in that circle of influence. It's the art of unpredictability. Dre's been behind the movement too, but from more of an overall influence on the producers who not only made this album but all the Top Dawg albums. It's no surprise to see that the TDE albums have a whole different vibe from what's out right now.

The unpredictability is what leads certain fans to hate a particular album. It's merely not understanding what's going on. Happens with all artists. DAMN is still a dense album.

The lyricism is still very deep and intricate. Now it's not the multi-syllabic Kendrick we're so used to from GKMC and before, but there's just a deeper meaning to what he's saying. Yeah his voice is different, but that's also intentional (Hov/Beyonce tactic). The production is A1; Mike Will made of the best beats in his entire career. DNA & Humble are ill. Sounwave is one of the more underrated producers in the game.

The collabs were not forced in nature. Rihanna & U2 were the two major collaborations, but it didn't seem commercial or out of place. They fit in the overall theme of the album. The Kid Capri intros seemed out of place at first, but is a pretty unique touch to the album.

On a last note, Duckworth is one of the craziest songs I've ever seen made. It's almost a circle of life type of song and an ode to Top Dawg.

I think this album will probably end up being another memorable album in the Kendrick Lamar discography over time.

Super favorite songs:

DNA
Element
Pride (Frank Ocean influence)
Humble
Fear
Duckworth
Mecca
RealGM

Post#74 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Phish Tank wrote:I can understand many of the criticisms some have with this album, but it's impossible to compare each of Kendrick's albums to one another. Kendrick & Top Dawg have been switching up things since GKMC. Section80 and some of the earlier work led up to GKMC. TPAB was a bit more politically active and deep. This is more of a straightforward album. I went through the albums twice (going through it for a third time now), but this is another complete effort that again solidifies Kendrick in that upper echelon.

Since Kendrick's been hanging out with Hov, he's learned how to be unpredictable with his art. He's under the circle of influence. Hov, Beyonce (Freedom is one of his best collabs to date).... hell that circle of influence has rubbed off onto Frank Ocean. Kanye's still embedded in that circle of influence. It's the art of unpredictability. Dre's been behind the movement too, but from more of an overall influence on the producers who not only made this album but all the Top Dawg albums. It's no surprise to see that the TDE albums have a whole different vibe from what's out right now.

The unpredictability is what leads certain fans to hate a particular album. It's merely not understanding what's going on. Happens with all artists. DAMN is still a dense album.

The lyricism is still very deep and intricate. Now it's not the multi-syllabic Kendrick we're so used to from GKMC and before, but there's just a deeper meaning to what he's saying. Yeah his voice is different, but that's also intentional (Hov/Beyonce tactic). The production is A1; Mike Will made of the best beats in his entire career. DNA & Humble are ill. Sounwave is one of the more underrated producers in the game.

The collabs were not forced in nature. Rihanna & U2 were the two major collaborations, but it didn't seem commercial or out of place. They fit in the overall theme of the album. The Kid Capri intros seemed out of place at first, but is a pretty unique touch to the album.

I think this album will probably end up being another memorable album in the Kendrick Lamar discography over time.

Preach. Not to mention Alchemist MURDERED Fear. 9th Wonder's work on Duckworth. Wow. You can argue this album is his most introspective as well as deepest in meaning. People doubting it still haven't uncovered the layers.
Brooklyn Nets
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#75 » by Phish Tank » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Mecca wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:I can understand many of the criticisms some have with this album, but it's impossible to compare each of Kendrick's albums to one another. Kendrick & Top Dawg have been switching up things since GKMC. Section80 and some of the earlier work led up to GKMC. TPAB was a bit more politically active and deep. This is more of a straightforward album. I went through the albums twice (going through it for a third time now), but this is another complete effort that again solidifies Kendrick in that upper echelon.

Preach. Not to mention Alchemist MURDERED Fear. 9th Wonder's work on Duckworth. Wow. You can argue this album is his most introspective as well as deepest in meaning. People doubting it still haven't uncovered the layers.

Oh yeah for sure. Both are fire. Some of the best beats they've made ever
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Post#76 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Man, there's too much to unpack with this album flat out. It feels like a more personal album than the others; which isn't to say the others weren't personl, I mean, TPAB is a personal letter to Pac. But if I'd equate this joint to anything, it'd be Kanye's Dark Twisted Fantasy album. It feels like you're really diving into the writer's head with most of the tracks, even though the two works have completely different focal points (and that makes sense). To go in depth on this ish, I'd probably have to revisit all of the Jesus references, the death/rebirth themes, the purposeful contradictions (Pride leads to Humble, Lust to Love to XXX but in the lyrics also). This ish has some real depth to it that I couldn't unpack without picking a motif and honing in on that all through the album. That sort of stuff gets the English major in me hype.

Purely on the music standpoint, it's way more accessible than TPAB was. I can bump a bunch of these tracks when the squad is grilling or on a road trip and people won't struggle with it thanks to the instrumentals and Kendrick's flows. It's still more dense than most albums though, just look how I opened this post up.

Tracks wise: My favorites are Element, DNA and Fear...no skippables for me, but those usually stand out after a couple of weeks even on great albums.

I can't rate this ish against his other albums. They're all very different pieces with dude trying new sounds, concepts and approaches. What I will say is that TPAB grew on me with more listens, GKMC has incredible longevity (I still bump tracks all the time) but this album is my favorite in the initial listening. I've bumped it on repeat all weekend while I worked on some projects and in the whip (only other album that got any burn was Apollo Brown). I REALLY like this album.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Mecca
RealGM

Post#77 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:43 pm

j4remi wrote:Man, there's too much to unpack with this album flat out. It feels like a more personal album than the others; which isn't to say the others weren't personl, I mean, TPAB is a personal letter to Pac. But if I'd equate this joint to anything, it'd be Kanye's Dark Twisted Fantasy album. It feels like you're really diving into the writer's head with most of the tracks, even though the two works have completely different focal points (and that makes sense). To go in depth on this ish, I'd probably have to revisit all of the Jesus references, the death/rebirth themes, the purposeful contradictions (Pride leads to Humble, Lust to Love to XXX but in the lyrics also). This ish has some real depth to it that I couldn't unpack without picking a motif and honing in on that all through the album. That sort of stuff gets the English major in me hype.

Purely on the music standpoint, it's way more accessible than TPAB was. I can bump a bunch of these tracks when the squad is grilling or on a road trip and people won't struggle with it thanks to the instrumentals and Kendrick's flows. It's still more dense than most albums though, just look how I opened this post up.

Tracks wise: My favorites are Element, DNA and Fear...no skippables for me, but those usually stand out after a couple of weeks even on great albums.

I can't rate this ish against his other albums. They're all very different pieces with dude trying new sounds, concepts and approaches. What I will say is that TPAB grew on me with more listens, GKMC has incredible longevity (I still bump tracks all the time) but this album is my favorite in the initial listening. I've bumped it on repeat all weekend while I worked on some projects and in the whip (only other album that got any burn was Apollo Brown). I REALLY like this album.

You literally hit on every point. Can agree with every word you said. Good post as always. Sonically, I'd argue it's Dot's best work from a pure MUSIC standpoint. Lyrically, I can argue it'd Kendrick's DEEPEST work from an introspective standpoint. What's fascinating to me is when you play this album in reverse. I'm pretty sure the album was meant to be played back->front.

There are so many themes, so many motives that are intertwined throughout the album. This album is special man. Truly special. People that are naysaying the project haven't even uncovered some of these layers. Humble makes so much more sense in context of the story.

Surprised at how good Kendrick made Bono sound on XXX. Fear is my favorite, but XXX isn't far behind. It's a look inside Kendrick's mind. The anxiety of him receiving judgement, his legacy, his DNA. Who he is as a man. Rosenberg wasn't reaching when he said Kendrick is the best of all time. I say it's Jay-Z, Andre 3K, and K. Dot. That's my top 3. Nas, Biggie 4-5.
Brooklyn Nets
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Post#78 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Mecca wrote:You literally hit on every point. Can agree with every word you said. Good post as always. Sonically, I'd argue it's Dot's best work from a pure MUSIC standpoint. Lyrically, I can argue it'd Kendrick's DEEPEST work from an introspective standpoint. What's fascinating to me is when you play this album in reverse. I'm pretty sure the album was meant to be played back->front.

There are so many themes, so many motives that are intertwined throughout the album. This album is special man. Truly special. People that are naysaying the project haven't even uncovered some of these layers. Humble makes so much more sense in context of the story.

Surprised at how good Kendrick made Bono sound on XXX. Fear is my favorite, but XXX isn't far behind. It's a look inside Kendrick's mind. The anxiety of him receiving judgement, his legacy, his DNA. Who he is as a man. Rosenberg wasn't reaching when he said Kendrick is the best of all time. I say it's Jay-Z, Andre 3K, and K. Dot. That's my top 3. Nas, Biggie 4-5.

Couldn't agree with you more fam. I gotta check the tracks in reverse for sure. Fear is definitely a standout, relatable worries up and down the verses. I gotta go over my top 10, it changes every damned time in order at least but Kendrick's in there now...and climbing.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Mecca
RealGM

Post#79 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:56 pm

j4remi wrote:
Mecca wrote:You literally hit on every point. Can agree with every word you said. Good post as always. Sonically, I'd argue it's Dot's best work from a pure MUSIC standpoint. Lyrically, I can argue it'd Kendrick's DEEPEST work from an introspective standpoint. What's fascinating to me is when you play this album in reverse. I'm pretty sure the album was meant to be played back->front.

Couldn't agree with you more fam. I gotta check the tracks in reverse for sure. Fear is definitely a standout, relatable worries up and down the verses. I gotta go over my top 10, it changes every damned time in order at least but Kendrick's in there now...and climbing.

I really think this will go down as Kendrick's best album. We all know the history of the '3rd album.' Kendrick knew this was the album that was going to make him go down in history. There are some people that don't like it because it's more 'club friendly,' but he didn't lose any depth or context while making the sound more modern. This is an album that I need to hear the interview on as well as really study before having complete knowledge of his overall premise/message. Any time you can keep me uncovering layers 12-15 spins through each track, I know you did something special.
Brooklyn Nets
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#80 » by whocares1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:57 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:yall nigs were tripping balls with all those controversial ideas he was coming out with another album yesterday lol

Im still waiting for Kendrick to rise from the dead. Maybe he forgot that Jesus rose in 3 days. Somebody decode when it's really dropping by hearing his album backwards while slurring the words. Maybe it's in there.

Return to New York Knicks