ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN.

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Re: OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN. 

Post#81 » by Phish Tank » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:59 pm

j4remi wrote:
Mecca wrote:You literally hit on every point. Can agree with every word you said. Good post as always. Sonically, I'd argue it's Dot's best work from a pure MUSIC standpoint. Lyrically, I can argue it'd Kendrick's DEEPEST work from an introspective standpoint. What's fascinating to me is when you play this album in reverse. I'm pretty sure the album was meant to be played back->front.

There are so many themes, so many motives that are intertwined throughout the album. This album is special man. Truly special. People that are naysaying the project haven't even uncovered some of these layers. Humble makes so much more sense in context of the story.

Surprised at how good Kendrick made Bono sound on XXX. Fear is my favorite, but XXX isn't far behind. It's a look inside Kendrick's mind. The anxiety of him receiving judgement, his legacy, his DNA. Who he is as a man. Rosenberg wasn't reaching when he said Kendrick is the best of all time. I say it's Jay-Z, Andre 3K, and K. Dot. That's my top 3. Nas, Biggie 4-5.

Couldn't agree with you more fam. I gotta check the tracks in reverse for sure. Fear is definitely a standout, relatable worries up and down the verses. I gotta go over my top 10, it changes every damned time in order at least but Kendrick's in there now...and climbing.

Yeah I see the idea of playing this is reverse too. You could literally have a class discussing this entire album soon.

Also, he's pretty much in the top 10, getting close to top 5. I don't have the official rankings 1-10, but he has to be there now. His first three albums were impeccable. I don't know many others with 3 straight classics to start off... and let's not forget Hiipower.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#82 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:59 pm

whocares1 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:yall nigs were tripping balls with all those controversial ideas he was coming out with another album yesterday lol

Im still waiting for Kendrick to rise from the dead. Maybe he forgot that Jesus rose in 3 days. Somebody decode when it's really dropping by hearing his album backwards while slurring the words. Maybe it's in there.

If you're not going to add substance in the thread, (which you normally don't) just spectate from the side.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#83 » by Fury » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:02 pm

I like the album, but don't like him using XXX as a title and concept. Stole that **** from Danny Brown
Mecca
RealGM

Post#84 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Fury wrote:I like the album, but don't like him using XXX as a title and concept. Stole that **** from Danny Brown

I wouldn't call it stealing. Danny's XXX had a different central theme compared to Kendrick's
Brooklyn Nets
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#85 » by whocares1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Mecca wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:yall nigs were tripping balls with all those controversial ideas he was coming out with another album yesterday lol

Im still waiting for Kendrick to rise from the dead. Maybe he forgot that Jesus rose in 3 days. Somebody decode when it's really dropping by hearing his album backwards while slurring the words. Maybe it's in there.

If you're not going to add substance in the thread, (which you normally don't) just spectate from the side.

You're the one that made a long ass post stating how you thought Kendrick was dropping another album. That's kind of my point when I said that Kendrick fans overrate his ****. You look deeper and deeper for meaning in his songs that don't actually exist. You're giving him TOO much credit and you sound like a total stan.

With that being said I listened and read the lyrics to 10 out of the 14 songs and I'll admit that the album is impressive. First time listening to it didn't give it its proper justice. I'm going to finish it today but it's definitely the best rap project I've heard in a while.
Fury
RealGM

Post#86 » by Fury » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Mecca wrote:
Fury wrote:I like the album, but don't like him using XXX as a title and concept. Stole that **** from Danny Brown

I wouldn't call it stealing. Danny's XXX had a different central theme compared to Kendrick's

Took DNA too!
Mecca
RealGM

Post#87 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Fury wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Took DNA too!

The thing is, the song's are so different, and DNA pretty much what the album revolves around. It isn't a cadence or hook being jacked yah know.
Brooklyn Nets
whocares1
General Manager

Post#88 » by whocares1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Mecca wrote:
Fury wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Took DNA too!

The thing is, the song's are so different, and DNA pretty much what the album revolves around. It isn't a cadence or hook being jacked yah know.

This is my point. Lol
Mecca
RealGM

Post#89 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:18 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

You're the one that made a long ass post stating how you thought Kendrick was dropping another album. That's kind of my point when I said that Kendrick fans overrate his ****. You look deeper and deeper for meaning in his songs that don't actually exist. You're giving him TOO much credit and you sound like a total stan.

With that being said I listened and read the lyrics to 10 out of the 14 songs and I'll admit that the album is impressive. First time listening to it didn't give it its proper justice. I'm going to finish it today but it's definitely the best rap project I've heard in a while.

Except the 2 album rumor had legs to it. Unfortunately it was TDE trolling. Genius.com picked it up as well as Sounwave trolling us.

His songs actually do have THAT deep of a meaning. Anyone that thinks that's me being a 'stan' doesn't understand nor respect Kendrick's music. His music IS that deep. Then, not to mention, you came into this thread the day it came out saying you weren't impressed, hating on Kendrick to bait others. Now that you gave it multiple spins you're beginning to uncover layers.

If you think I'm looking too deep, you simply aren't looking deep enough. Ask anyone that rocks with Kendrick in this thread. His messages ARE that witty/deep/introspective. This is what frustrates me with Drake fans. They think Kendrick is fake deep.

Every word Kendrick uses is for a reason. He don't waste a damn bar. The album WAS meant to be listened backwards. If you listen to Duckworth enough, you'll figure that out.
Brooklyn Nets
Mecca
RealGM

Post#90 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Kendrick understands that he's the leader of hip-hop right now. He realizes he has a voice and takes a roll as a messenger. Saying we are overthinking his music is an insult to Kendrick as well as hip-hop. This is what REAL rap is all about. Decoding bars, understanding story lines. This is why I fell in love with hip-hop. I'm not letting a Drake stan tell me otherwise. lol
Brooklyn Nets
Mecca
RealGM

Post#91 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:30 pm

whocares1 wrote:I love Kendrick fans. They hype his crappy music like its legendary, but it's just another boring tape without great beats.

This is why you're a troll and have been banned before. Get outta here.
Brooklyn Nets
Fury
RealGM

Post#92 » by Fury » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 pm

There's no competition between Kendrick and Drake. It's like the warriors and the early 00s nets. Drake is nice just because he wasn't born 20 years earlier. Kendrick is nice in any era
Mecca
RealGM

Post#93 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Fury wrote:There's no competition between Kendrick and Drake. It's like the warriors and the early 00s nets. Drake is nice just because he wasn't born 20 years earlier. Kendrick is nice in any era

ding ding ding. Exactly
Brooklyn Nets
KnickLeDime
Bench Warmer
And1: 863

Post#94 » by KnickLeDime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:54 pm

This thread... :lol:

Mecca
RealGM

Post#95 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:This thread... :lol:

Hip-Hop talk on an NY hoops message is the most intense discussion you'll ever see on this board.
Brooklyn Nets
whocares1
General Manager

Post#96 » by whocares1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Mecca wrote:
whocares1 wrote:I love Kendrick fans. They hype his crappy music like its legendary, but it's just another boring tape without great beats.

This is why you're a troll and have been banned before. Get outta here.

I've never been banned what are you on about?
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#97 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm

I don't know, Kendrick's been good here and there, but I'll stick with old school artists. Can't really get my head around all that hype and I also think that it's being overdone. Drake does nothing for me.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#98 » by EricAnderson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm

I need beats with energy..I like DNA and a few other songs but other then that the beats bore me.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#99 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

EricAnderson wrote:I need beats with energy..I like DNA and a few other songs but other then that the beats bore me.

If you don't think Fear or Duckworth have energy, I don't know what to tell you. That's 9th Wonder and Alchemist production. That's the gold standard for hip-hop. :crazy:
Brooklyn Nets
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#100 » by EricAnderson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Mecca wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:I need beats with energy..I like DNA and a few other songs but other then that the beats bore me.

If you don't think Fear or Duckworth have energy, I don't know what to tell you. That's 9th Wonder and Alchemist production. That's the gold standard for hip-hop. :crazy:

I said "and a few other songs" but too many songs just have boring beats imo

Return to New York Knicks