ImageImageImageImageImage

KP6 - big star in his family and hometown

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

esusts
Ballboy
And1: 8

KP6 - big star in his family and hometown 

Post#1 » by esusts » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 am

Hello fellow fans.
You probably know a lot about Kristaps Porzingis, but what do you know about his hometown? I added a Youtube link to short film.. me and my team filmed about Kristaps, his family and hometown.

Please let me know what do you think about this movie. Do you like the story?

(ENGLISH SUBTITLES INCLUDED) KRISTAPS PORZIÅ…Ä¢IS - THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME

gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,235

Re: KP6 - big star in his family and hometown 

Post#2 » by gavran » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 am

Does Latvian always sound so Slavic?
MartinsLusis
Senior
And1: 544

Post#3 » by MartinsLusis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:05 pm

gavran wrote:Does Latvian always sound so Slavic?

For those who don't speak any of the Slavic languages, it sounds quite similar, however, in reality, the Latvian language is really different from Russian. There are still many words in Russian which Latvians often use though, since almost half of Latvia's population speaks Russian (especially in the capital Riga where the number of Russian-speaking natives is closer to 60% and in Southeast part of Latvia where in some places >90% of people speak Russian as their mother tongue).

Latvian is one of 2 remaining Baltic languages and it's in many aspects closer to the German language than the Russian since Germans controlled Latvia for quite a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language

P.S. Kristaps himself is from a part of Latvia where the Russian language is less popular so that's why Kristaps doesn't speak Russian as well. Most of the Latvians do, however. I myself understand the Russian language and can also read Cyrillic, but I rarely speak in Russian although I can keep a conversation in it (not a great Russian language expert overall).
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#4 » by vallen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks, good look. The shots of the city were amazing, wish there was a little more of that. Love the bond KP and his brothers have. I hope money never interferes with their lives, and they always stay grounded and humble. Thanks again for the Video, it was a good watch.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#5 » by magnumt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Thank you for sharing! He's to Latvia what Dirk & Sabonis is to their respective countries. :clap:

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,235

Post#6 » by gavran » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:33 pm

MartinsLusis wrote:
gavran wrote:Does Latvian always sound so Slavic?

For those who don't speak any of the Slavic languages, it sounds quite similar, however, in reality, the Latvian language is really different from Russian. There are still many words in Russian which Latvians often use though, since almost half of Latvia's population speaks Russian (especially in the capital Riga where the number of Russian-speaking natives is closer to 60% and in Southeast part of Latvia where in some places >90% of people speak Russian as their mother tongue).

Latvian is one of 2 remaining Baltic languages and it's in many aspects closer to the German language than the Russian since Germans controlled Latvia for quite a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language

P.S. Kristaps himself is from a part of Latvia where the Russian language is less popular so that's why Kristaps doesn't speak Russian as well. Most of the Latvians do, however. I myself understand the Russian language and can also read Cyrillic, but I rarely speak in Russian although I can keep a conversation in it (not a great Russian language expert overall).

Yeah, I know all that, Baltic is also closely related to Slavic (Balto-Slavic language family), I am only talking about pronunciation. I speak Serbian so I recognize a Slavic language when I hear one just by the way it sounds, just never realized Latvian has the such similar characteristic.
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#7 » by MrProb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm

It's always amazed me how these small countries produced such great athletes, Latvia& Iceland always come to mind, so so small yet able to achieved something in a much larger scale.

Really really cool and totally respected them.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#8 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 am

MrProb wrote:It's always amazed me how these small countries produced such great athletes, Latvia& Iceland always come to mind, so so small yet able to achieved something in a much larger scale.

What athletes have come from iceland?
MrProb
Analyst

Post#9 » by MrProb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
MrProb wrote:It's always amazed me how these small countries produced such great athletes, Latvia& Iceland always come to mind, so so small yet able to achieved something in a much larger scale.

Eidur Gudjohnsen not sure about the name but he's football (soccer) player.

IIRC the country population doesn't even reach 600,000 lol a freaking country !
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#10 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:

Iceland is famous producing strongmen for weightlifting and other feat of strength competitions
MrProb
Analyst

Post#11 » by MrProb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 am

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Iceland is famous producing strongmen for weightlifting and other feat of strength competitions

That too and sauna competition, watched some and it's crazy, like it's a competition whose better at steaming themselves alive
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,323

Post#12 » by NoStatsGuy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 am

cool video i liked it a lot. unfortunately not too many people care about dirk in germany. germany is such an anti basketball country damn
im bout dat action boss

Return to New York Knicks