ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Lin Net Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: The Official Lin Net Thread II 

Post#1241 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Lin isnt a mercenary... he just hasnt found a home yet or a good fit yet.

Knicks were a fit, but management there is a joke so they let him go. then bad luck in houston with Harden coming in and Beverly proving to be a real player giving him more competition then originally was there. Charlotte was always a bad fit since he doesnt seem to want to be a backup and he was never gonna unseat kemba.... here well, he joined a sunk ship that will take years to unearth and rebuild. but he may showcase himself here for 3 years showcasinghimself for his next team where maybe he can stay for the rest of his career.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1242 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:One thought: The Nets get back their 1st round pick in 2019 so if they're really rebuilding, wouldn't it make sense to suck/tank in the 2018-2019 season?

Assuming the Nets' development/FA acquisition trajectory puts them on track for mid-30s wins in 2017-2018 and then high-30s wins in 2018-2019, aren't the Nets looking at a mid-teens lottery pick, which would put them on the mediocre treadmill?

I dont think we have to tank... we didnt tank this year and we had the worst record. I think you just keep with the same plan development until the right free agent or trade presents itself. trust your scouting and development.

Tanking for #1 almost never works. if the pick is #1 great, if its #10 great. if its #20 great. what good is setting a 5 year project back 2 or 3 more years so you can try and get a 25% chance at a #1 pick who may not have franchise changing potential anyhow?

i say keep doing what your doing. the benfit of owning your own picks i that "IF" your bad, you have the benefit of a ood pick. so it minizes the downside. but im never down for tanking. ive only seen it work once and have seen it fail constantly.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Official Lin Net Thread II 

Post#1243 » by Paradise » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:34 pm

I think fans need to understand tiers.

Tier 1 (Superstar): Curry, Paul, Wall, Irving, etc.
Tier 2 (All-star): Thomas, Lowry, etc.
Tier 3 (Stars): Lillard, Conley, Teague, etc.
Tier 4 (borderline star): Bledsoe, Dragic, Walker, Holiday, Lin, etc.

Nothing wrong with him being in a 3rd or 4th tier. He's a star based off his likability, his marketability, and his ability to close games and play hard. I don't think we need to overrate his upside to validate him as a star or winning player.

He's capable of averaging 17/5/3 in this offense and if he played atleast 30 more games. He's not going to average more than that with Lopez/LeVert needing shots. He's likely to average a career high in assists than points. He simply needs to stay at a consistent steady rate of 15-17 PPG, 7 assists, 3 rebounds and make atleast 2 threes per game and that will drastically change our win total.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#1244 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:One thought: The Nets get back their 1st round pick in 2019 so if they're really rebuilding, wouldn't it make sense to suck/tank in the 2018-2019 season?

Assuming the Nets' development/FA acquisition trajectory puts them on track for mid-30s wins in 2017-2018 and then high-30s wins in 2018-2019, aren't the Nets looking at a mid-teens lottery pick, which would put them on the mediocre treadmill?

I dont think we have to tank... we didnt tank this year and we had the worst record. I think you just keep with the same plan development until the right free agent or trade presents itself. trust your scouting and development.

Tanking for #1 almost never works. if the pick is #1 great, if its #10 great. if its #20 great. what good is setting a 5 year project back 2 or 3 more years so you can try and get a 25% chance at a #1 pick who may not have franchise changing potential anyhow?

i say keep doing what your doing. the benfit of owning your own picks i that "IF" your bad, you have the benefit of a ood pick. so it minizes the downside. but im never down for tanking. ive only seen it work once and have seen it fail constantly.

I guess I'm a Hinkie-ite and don't think you can really be a contender unless you have superstar young talent. All the championship teams have at least #1 pick lottery stud to lead the team whether it's CLE (LBJ), SAS (Duncan), MIA (LBJ), BOS (Garnett). Or you have to get lucky with a Nowitzki or Curry pick. GSW is the one of the few examples where they made excellent non-Top 5 picks to indigenously create a championship team (Curry #7, Thompson #11, Green #35, Barnes #7).

The other hope is that Brook, Lin, FA X in 2017, FA Y in 2019, improved RHJ, and improved Levert ARE championship material, and to hell with the draft picks!
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#1245 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Paradise wrote:I think fans need to understand tiers.

Nothing wrong with him being in a 3rd or 4th tier. He's a star based off his likability, his marketability, and his ability to close games and play hard. I don't think we need to overrate his upside to validate him as a star or winning player.

He's capable of averaging 17/5/3 in this offense and if he played atleast 30 more games. He's not going to average more than that with Lopez/LeVert needing shots. He's likely to average a career high in assists than points. He simply needs to stay at a consistent steady rate of 15-17 PPG, 7 assists, 3 rebounds and make atleast 2 threes per game and that will drastically change our win total.

I'd rather that Lin be a Sam Cassell/Rip Hamilton/Robert Horry-level player -- one who isn't an automatic All-Star shoo-in but gains immortality through championships and clutch performances -- than a Steve Nash/John Stockton player who achieves statistical dominance but never wins a championship (though both came close).
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1246 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:I guess I'm a Hinkie-ite and don't think you can really be a contender unless you have superstar young talent. All the championship teams have at least #1 pick lottery stud to lead the team whether it's CLE (LBJ), SAS (Duncan), MIA (LBJ), BOS (Garnett). Or you have to get lucky with a Nowitzki or Curry pick. GSW is the one of the few examples where they made excellent non-Top 5 picks to indigenously create a championship team (Curry #7, Thompson #11, Green #35, Barnes #7).

The other hope is that Brook, Lin, FA X in 2017, FA Y in 2019, improved RHJ, and improved Levert ARE championship material, and to hell with the draft picks!

The sixers have tanked 4 years now and still are a complete mess. their first 2 guys they tanked for are gone and that cycle doesnt seem to stop soon:

MCW rookie of the year - gone
Noel top 3 pick - gone
okafor being shopped his time likely limited
Embid cant stay healthy
who knows with simmons

by the time these guys are any good they will likely be looking to leave because its such a horrible enviornment. opposite of the nets guys treated like assets. if Noel was here you think he'd be riding time and getting no development?

Even if they DO find some all-stars, when they do its still a 3-4 year period before that brings anything (look at minnesota with towns).

Speaking of minnesota, they DIDNT tank and are in a better spot then philly is.

our star is likely going to need to come via trade or free agency. until then im fine building towards a good 45 win team....

Also... look at the top 10 players in the league. how many were the #1 pick?

Lebron - Yes
Curry - No
Durant - No
Harden - No
Giannis - No
Kawai - No
Davis - Yes
Paul - No
Cousins - No
George - No
Butler - No

I mean you have to:

1) Tank
2) get the #1 pick
3) have it be a draft with a franchise superstar (1 in every 4 or 5 drafts on average)
4) be lucky/smart enough to take the right guy (portland didnt take durant, several teams passed on curry/kawai/harden/westrbook)

other then the spurs tanking for duncan when robinson went down ive never seen tanking work. and right now the bucks/wolves look alot better off then the lakers/sixers. so sometimes just building a culture and making the picks where they fall is better then creating a culture of losing/tanking saying F development and trying to backdoor into the next star #1 pick
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1247 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:

I'd rather that Lin be a Sam Cassell/Rip Hamilton/Robert Horry-level player -- one who isn't an automatic All-Star shoo-in but gains immortality through championships and clutch performances -- than a Steve Nash/John Stockton player who achieves statistical dominance but never wins a championship (though both came close).

ugh... sam cassell.... what could have been here. the second we get something that looks good it always falls apart.

We get a coach like Calipari, we get a young exciting team: Cassell, Kittle, Van Horn, Williams... they give the '98 bulls a run for their money in the playoffs.... then... in true net fashion... crap show:

-Jason Williams kills a guy and goes to jail
-new ownership comes in, doesnt care cal turned it around, and fires him after a slow start in a season filled with turmoil
-new idiot managment trades cassell a proven winner for marbury for the PR

that 98 team was my favorite net team. modern innovative coach, winning players with the right attitude, young talent, a 15/15 type big who came out of nowhere and still some picks and cap room.

man... we are cursed.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#1248 » by bws94 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm

I'd put Kemba in Tier 3 but the NBA is loaded with talented PGs in Lin's age group of 26-32. It's just a time of very talented PGs, and PGs that can score. I don't think the younger PGs coming in now are on the same level.

I still think Lin is more 15.5-16.5 PPG and maybe he can bump his assists up to 6, partly because RHJ and others will finish better next season. What I personally like about Lin is he's a winning player and he's a big-game player. If the Nets make the playoffs while he's a Net, Lin will play big most games. I also like that he can raise his game when playing against even the elite players on that list (CP3, Kyrie, if not quite Steph, and he's had big games against Wall as well)

In terms of Lin's shooting, I think he's just hot and cold. Sometimes when his back tightens up or he turns and ankle, it affects his shot, and that happens a few times a season. I expect him to continue to be a streaky shooter/scorer.
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#1249 » by tonman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:48 am

Prokorov wrote:
tonman wrote:
If you are going to have to replace your main players then you either have to replace them with main players or shift the primary to others on the team. Look at San antonio. It was Duncan who handed it over to parker who handed it over to leonard. They replaced Duncan but the team doesn't miss a beat because the player coming in is not the primary player.

We dont have main players. this is a 20 win team with 0 all-stars and like 13 role players. This isnt a 5 time title winner seeing a hall of famer retire. Lopez isnt someone who needs to hand anything over and no one wants to inherit the losing lopez has done anyhow. you dont need to replace these guys... you need build or find much better players.

Right now if we do not bring in a wing or PF who could be that main player, you are stuck either looking at free agency to replace or have the awkward slow transition.

What is akward about a slow transition? thats actually the PLAN! right from marks and kennys mouths:

“Let’s try to build this culture, let’s try to build this foundation and have a really rock solid one this year, develop these young guys, get Isaiah and Caris and Rondae and so forth growing up. Lets see where they are on when they're 25, 26 (They’ll be 23 next season.) As Kenny said before, literally they're kids, they're babies still."

"“The big thing, the way Kenny and I look at it, is the progress along the way,” Marks told Roberts. “It's important for us to be taking these steps and really building a foundation. If we go after it all in one year, potentially signing maybe the wrong free agent at the wrong time, then we're going to be back at square one in a couple of years."

"we see improvement, not only in the individual basis but from myself, my staff, from Kenny and his staff, we continually grow and in two years, we're sitting here going, ‘Alright, here we go, we'll make a run."

they are looking 2,3,4 years out.

As I mentironed before I would prefer the team bring in a PF to play along side brook and a wing to play along side levert. As lin and brook ages, the focus will fall on the other starters. Yes a few of the younger guys may choose not to wait and move elsewhere but you want that smooth transition. You plug in for agents where development is slow or someone leaves.

There is nothing to transition from... we were terrible. we won 20 games 2 years in a row... this isnt a transition, its a rebuild. we are building the foundation.

I think with Dinwiddie and whitehead, we have youngsters to come off the bench. Will they be the ones who take over that's to be seen. We have Levert. Close to putting out a respectable team capable of battling for last spot of playoffs with one good acquisition. If we get two then we are sitting pretty with time, youngsters, and some picks. Remember if we are getting better, our picks won't be that high but still can get you that nice piece.

we dont control our own picks. so our record is irrelevant in that perspective. The future best players of this team arent currently on the roster. we are building some solid role pieces like levert/RHJ/Dinwiddie. and hopefully more in this draft. ina few years once those guys grow up, thats when you go after it in free agnecy

Your foundation is what you choose it to be. You can sit there and whine that the Nets are a 20 win team or see if there is a way to build upon what is working. Just because there are some young talent doesn't mean there is fit. You need to establish a system which is why I am partial to jolding mm on to brook and lin. Build on that. You have Levert. Yes the future of this team is on the roster but what is that future? The wolves have youngsters growing up for severas years and no playoffs. And now that they have some prime comoments are they going to bring in a superstar or someone who complements them?

The Nets have cap room so they can buy a piece or two and still add free agents when the youngsters grow up. You saying you don't want millsap? Let's say they improve and win 30 next season. I don't see an elite player potential on this team. Maybe levert but right now he's letting the game come to him so it's going to be awhile before he gets there. Maybe someone in the draft. My point is getting folks that fits KA system, improve, make the Nets a destination, build with both youth and the right free agents. You have to be able to do a little of everything and not liMIT yourself to draft or free agents.

As for "the run", what is KA talking about? Run at free agents okay but you bring in the wrong free agent then you still shoot yourself in the foot. No one is saying go for the grand slam, but if someone hangs a curve, you got to go for it.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1250 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:50 am

tonman wrote:Your foundation is what you choose it to be. You can sit there and whine that the Nets are a 20 win team or see if there is a way to build upon what is working. Just because there are some young talent doesn't mean there is fit. You need to establish a system which is why I am partial to jolding mm on to brook and lin. Build on that. You have Levert. Yes the future of this team is on the roster but what is that future? The wolves have youngsters growing up for severas years and no playoffs. And now that they have some prime comoments are they going to bring in a superstar or someone who complements them?

No one is whining, im just pointing out the reality.... if you build the foundation of a house on straw it wont be long before the house blows over... same here you dont build a foundation of a team on role players and dleaguers and 4th tier players. Is there a path to get better? of course there is... and we are thankfully patiently heading down that path with marks in no rush to add talent if its just more role guys who max us out as a 25-35 win team (words right from marks mouth).

The Nets have cap room so they can buy a piece or two and still add free agents when the youngsters grow up. You saying you don't want millsap? Let's say they improve and win 30 next season. I don't see an elite player potential on this team. Maybe levert but right now he's letting the game come to him so it's going to be awhile before he gets there. Maybe someone in the draft. My point is getting folks that fits KA system, improve, make the Nets a destination, build with both youth and the right free agents. You have to be able to do a little of everything and not liMIT yourself to draft or free agents.

id be happy for sure with milsap but id be happier with another year of development. glad to hear marks say that it takes patience and we may need to wait another 2 years and see where levert/RHJ are before we try and go get after it.

As for "the run", what is KA talking about? Run at free agents okay but you bring in the wrong free agent then you still shoot yourself in the foot. No one is saying go for the grand slam, but if someone hangs a curve, you got to go for it.

eventually we need to bring in 1-2 guys who are better then lopez. we will never succeed with lopez as our best player. and its best to movoe away from lopez sooner rather then later and find a replacement who can play defense and rebound. if it takes 5 or 6 years to get tot he destination then thats what it takes.... like marks says you do it the wrong way an you are right back to being bad in 1-2 years
2k15
Pro Prospect
And1: 193

Post#1251 » by 2k15 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I generally agree. I just think we can be contending for a playoff spot as early as next year. Far off from contending for a chip, but I am optimistic that we're going to be pretty fun to watch next year.

I guess I also think all the talk about ditching players to win a chip is a bit too cold and calculating. Take Lopez for example - he's one of your best players in history. Folks are too quick to dump him for picks. Loyalty count for anything? I stopped watching NFL largely because players turnover too quickly and I can't really develop an emotional rapport with the team.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1252 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 pm

2k15 wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I generally agree. I just think we can be contending for a playoff spot as early as next year. Far off from contending for a chip, but I am optimistic that we're going to be pretty fun to watch next year.

I guess I also think all the talk about ditching players to win a chip is a bit too cold and calculating. Take Lopez for example - he's one of your best players in history. Folks are too quick to dump him for picks. Loyalty count for anything? I stopped watching NFL largely because players turnover too quickly and I can't really develop an emotional rapport with the team.

-Lopez isnt "one of our best players in history" he just holds alot of records because he has played the most games/took the most shots/played the most seasons... but he isnt top 10 in points per page in net history for instanced.

-also, "ditching" lopez isnt to win a championship, its to win in general. our ceiling with him isnt very high and he holds back what we can do because he is such a poor defender, rebounder, and we'd be better off with gaurds and forwards providing the scoring like most good teams.

Lopez has been here almost 10 years and its been mostly losing... lots of losing... 60, 70 loss seasons. and our best year with him on the team was the year he didnt play because of injury. I'm all for keeping Levert, RHJ, Dinwiddie, Whitehead, Harris, Lin.... but brook needs to go. that money can be invested in better long term pieces.
playteamball
Senior
And1: 73

Post#1253 » by playteamball » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm

I like this list and agree except I'd move Wall to Tier 2 and Teague to Tier 4. I also think Lin will move/prove to be in Tier 3 and possibly Tier 2 if he remains healthy, but that will be tough unless he modifies his style of play to take fewer big hits. I could see merging Tiers 2 and 3 as well as they are all close.
Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Post#1254 » by Hank7 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:22 pm

I think Lillard and Conley are better than Lowry. I think they're 2's and Lowry 2.5....Teague belongs in tier 4. Lin's a solid 4.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#1255 » by bws94 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Hank7 wrote:I think Lillard and Conley are better than Lowrey. I think they're 2's and Lowrey 2.5....Teague belongs in tier 4. Lin's a solid 4.

Lowry's hard to place. There are times he's as good as Lillard and Conley, but I feel in the playoffs he's hot or cold, hit or miss, much more than Lillard and Conley who are more consistent. But, Lillard's D isn't on the level of Conley or Lowry's.
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#1256 » by tonman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Prokorov wrote:
2k15 wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I generally agree. I just think we can be contending for a playoff spot as early as next year. Far off from contending for a chip, but I am optimistic that we're going to be pretty fun to watch next year.

-Lopez isnt "one of our best players in history" he just holds alot of records because he has played the most games/took the most shots/played the most seasons... but he isnt top 10 in points per page in net history for instanced.

-also, "ditching" lopez isnt to win a championship, its to win in general. our ceiling with him isnt very high and he holds back what we can do because he is such a poor defender, rebounder, and we'd be better off with gaurds and forwards providing the scoring like most good teams.

Lopez has been here almost 10 years and its been mostly losing... lots of losing... 60, 70 loss seasons. and our best year with him on the team was the year he didnt play because of injury. I'm all for keeping Levert, RHJ, Dinwiddie, Whitehead, Harris, Lin.... but brook needs to go. that money can be invested in better long term pieces.

I don't have a problem with trading lopez, I just don't see a big man on this team besides lopez that is starter level. to me RHJ is undersized and I believe even you have said he should come off the bench (if I am mistaken, I apologize). I don't think booker is a solution though he is fine off the bench also. so therefore at this point, we have zero big men for the future. I'm not going to discuss Nicholson or Acy at this point.

Unless you're a superstar, you are going to have flaws. thus it's up to the team to hide those flaws. bring in a good rebounder to play alongside brook. our guards are good rebounders. bring in a rim protector at the 4. if brook is a stretch 5, there's no need to have a stretch 4 also. would be nice but can't have everything. I would look for a young 4/5 rim protector/rebounder and if the other team goes small, bring in RHJ or booker at the 4.

again, I don't think brook is a #1 option on this team but until we find the #1 option, he's it. if he's #2, I think we'll be fine. let's bring in a wing and a 4/5 guy. I agree, there's no need to rush to overpay someone who's available in a "need" position and there's always the possibility of drafting the next superstar, but as currently constructed, there is a path forward to getting better.

now if you trade lopez and go the young role, there is no path until you see what you have ala the sixers...and they're dealing with top 3 picks. nets don't have that option.

the goal for this offseason is to bring in one major FA at one of the two positions of need. this will show that the nets can be a destination. this along with improving next season should allow for additional moves. if those moves gets brook moved for a high draft pick, fine. but that is done with knowledge of how the team is constructed and not just a firesale trying to get picks to draft players that may or may not work out.
hood30
Rookie
And1: 229

Post#1257 » by hood30 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 pm

tonman wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I don't have a problem with trading lopez, I just don't see a big man on this team besides lopez that is starter level. to me RHJ is undersized and I believe even you have said he should come off the bench (if I am mistaken, I apologize). I don't think booker is a solution though he is fine off the bench also. so therefore at this point, we have zero big men for the future. I'm not going to discuss Nicholson or Acy at this point.

Unless you're a superstar, you are going to have flaws. thus it's up to the team to hide those flaws. bring in a good rebounder to play alongside brook. our guards are good rebounders. bring in a rim protector at the 4. if brook is a stretch 5, there's no need to have a stretch 4 also. would be nice but can't have everything. I would look for a young 4/5 rim protector/rebounder and if the other team goes small, bring in RHJ or booker at the 4.

again, I don't think brook is a #1 option on this team but until we find the #1 option, he's it. if he's #2, I think we'll be fine. let's bring in a wing and a 4/5 guy. I agree, there's no need to rush to overpay someone who's available in a "need" position and there's always the possibility of drafting the next superstar, but as currently constructed, there is a path forward to getting better.

now if you trade lopez and go the young role, there is no path until you see what you have ala the sixers...and they're dealing with top 3 picks. nets don't have that option.

the goal for this offseason is to bring in one major FA at one of the two positions of need. this will show that the nets can be a destination. this along with improving next season should allow for additional moves. if those moves gets brook moved for a high draft pick, fine. but that is done with knowledge of how the team is constructed and not just a firesale trying to get picks to draft players that may or may not work out.

Totally agree with this...Brooklyn should be in no hurry to trade Lopez unless they can retrieve a top 10 draft pick or a young prospect with very good potential.

Prokorov entire premise that removing Lopez would automatically make the Nets better is wrong since he seemed to ignore Lopez natural scoring ability + his 3ball which allows Brooklyn to pull rim-protecting centers out of the paint.....this effect makes it easy for Lin to drive into the lane with no rim protection in the paint area.

When Lin got back in the starting line-up, they played pretty well and this gives us a hint that Lopez was never the biggest reason why Nets kept on losing this year...I don't buy the defense argument and I believe whatever you lose on defense with Lopez, you gain on offense...That's the way I see it.

Depending on who you get to replace Lopez, Brooklyn may get a bit better at PnR defense, but Brooklyn loses a lot on offense and the ability to stretch the floor with a stretch-5 which I believe is much more valuable than a stretch-4

Also, I don't believe Noel replacing Brook makes Brooklyn better since he's no where close to Brook as a scorer and he's not that much of a rim protecting center...Matterfact, Mavs's fan haven't been impressed by him at all....Always felt he was way too skinny to play center and from what I've heard, many Mavs fan are also wondering whether he's big enough to bang with the physical center in this league since many of them had a field day against him as a Maverick....Even Brook Lopez abused Noel when Brooklyn played Mavs, so I'd think twice replacing Lopez with Noel.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1258 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 am

tonman wrote:I don't have a problem with trading lopez, I just don't see a big man on this team besides lopez that is starter level. to me RHJ is undersized and I believe even you have said he should come off the bench (if I am mistaken, I apologize). I don't think booker is a solution though he is fine off the bench also. so therefore at this point, we have zero big men for the future. I'm not going to discuss Nicholson or Acy at this point.

i dont see how that is really a concern. i mean where a term of role/bench guys. we needed to added starting talent either way. plus its not about next year, its about the long term picture. draft a big, sign a big and build from there

You cant hide bad pick and roll defense from your center. once that fails everything falls apart

His D is the issue not his offense.

sure they do. it will just take longer.

no, it isnt... its to develop the young kids for another year. as marks said, in two years they can go after it
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1259 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 am

hood30 wrote:[

Depending on who you get to replace Lopez, Brooklyn may get a bit better at PnR defense, but Brooklyn loses a lot on offense and [b]the ability to stretch the floor with a stretch-5 which I believe is much more valuable than a stretch-4

its not a bit better in the pick and roll... its an enormous monumental upgrade. going from arguably the worst pick and roll defending big among starters to even a bad pick and roll defender is an upgrade. not to mention a center who could switch an hold his own.

19 points isnt tough to make up for and ideally you prefer scoring from wings and forwards anyhow.

Lopez is holding us back. it isnt all on him, this team has no talent, but he will always hold us back defensively
hood30
Rookie
And1: 229

Post#1260 » by hood30 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:57 am

Prokorov wrote:
hood30 wrote:[

Depending on who you get to replace Lopez, Brooklyn may get a bit better at PnR defense, but Brooklyn loses a lot on offense and [b]the ability to stretch the floor with a stretch-5 which I believe is much more valuable than a stretch-4

its not a bit better in the pick and roll... its an enormous monumental upgrade. going from arguably the worst pick and roll defending big among starters to even a bad pick and roll defender is an upgrade. not to mention a center who could switch an hold his own.

19 points isnt tough to make up for and ideally you prefer scoring from wings and forwards anyhow.

Lopez is holding us back. it isnt all on him, this team has no talent, but he will always hold us back defensively

As I stated, when Lin came back, Brooklyn was much more competitive and Lopez's offense canceled out whatever you feel he's not given you on the PnR defense........So the second half of the season demonstrated to all of us you can win with Lopez if you give him a good PG and add a few NBA level players around him.

Marks should look to team Lopez with a physical rebounding PF who is not undersized...A guy like Ed Davis would be great alongside Lopez + Davis could be a great PnR partner for Lin who had great chemistry with Lin with the Lakers.

Return to Brooklyn Nets