Can Lebron James keep this up?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,363

Can Lebron James keep this up? 

Post#1 » by nbafan38 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:05 pm

32 years old and still showed last night why he is the king and best player in the nba. He's a top 5 of all time player partly because of the longevity of how great he's been and how many different ways he can impact a game. Can he keep this up throughout the postseason and how many more seasons can he play this great? He's got a lot of wear and tear oh his body but is such a physical specimen that it wouldn't surprise me if he's still a big force even in his mid 30s.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,290

Re: Can Lebron James keep this up? 

Post#2 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:10 pm

We could be looking at the greatest basketball athlete of all time. At 34, Kobe was still going strong in terms of his play, impact, numbers and even though his athleticism had certainly waned by then he wasn't a shell of himself or anything. So we're two years out from that with Lebron, but I fully expect him to remain healthier into his older age. He seems to have less wear and tear on him, and is clearly the more impressive physical specimen, particularly pertaining to his durability.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#3 » by RCM88x » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I was thinking about this as well last night... "is this the last elite playoff run we'll see from him?" I thought to myself.

But then I remembered that people have been saying that for the last 2-3 years so who knows. I could just as easily see him decline after this season as I could see him remain elite for the next 2 or 3 years.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm just enjoying the journey man.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Torchmode
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#5 » by Torchmode » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 pm

No way he keeps this up. This is probably his last great year, enjoy it while you can he has been great for the game.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Re: RE: Re: Can Lebron James keep this up? 

Post#6 » by LastNameEver » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 pm

RCM88x wrote:I was thinking about this as well last night... "is this the last elite playoff run we'll see from him?" I thought to myself.

But then I remembered that people have been saying that for the last 2-3 years so who knows. I could just as easily see him decline after this season as I could see him remain elite for the next 2 or 3 years.

2-3 years ? LeBron is going to sustain himself well into his late 30's.

Something is not normal about this guy. When he has a brutal fall or ankle sprain it wears off within minutes.
nbafan38
Head Coach

Post#7 » by nbafan38 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Torchmode wrote:No way he keeps this up. This is probably his last great year, enjoy it while you can he has been great for the game.

Well we know that's what warrior fans hope lol but we'll see.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#8 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:We could be looking at the greatest basketball athlete of all time. At 34, Kobe was still going strong in terms of his play, impact, numbers and even though his athleticism had certainly waned by then he wasn't a shell of himself or anything. So we're two years out from that with Lebron, but I fully expect him to remain healthier into his older age. He seems to have less wear and tear on him, and is clearly the more impressive physical specimen, particularly pertaining to his durability.

That's being pretty kind. They squeaked into the playoffs his Y34 season and got swept in the 1st round. That was the year he tore his Achilles and was never the same again. He did not get to the Conference Finals after his 32nd BDay.

LeBron is still playing at GOD tier.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#9 » by Warchant » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:We could be looking at the greatest basketball athlete of all time. At 34, Kobe was still going strong in terms of his play, impact, numbers and even though his athleticism had certainly waned by then he wasn't a shell of himself or anything. So we're two years out from that with Lebron, but I fully expect him to remain healthier into his older age. He seems to have less wear and tear on him, and is clearly the more impressive physical specimen, particularly pertaining to his durability.

You cant even compare Kobe and LB's game....LB is either drive to the basket or shoot a long jumper...he doesnt have an intermediate game he can rely on so if LB loses his quickness he will b done as an elite scorer
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Re: RE: Re: Can Lebron James keep this up? 

Post#10 » by BasketballFan7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:33 pm

The Boy wrote:
RCM88x wrote:I was thinking about this as well last night... "is this the last elite playoff run we'll see from him?" I thought to myself.

2-3 years ? LeBron is going to sustain himself well into his late 30's.

Something is not normal about this guy. When he has a brutal fall or ankle sprain it wears off within minutes.

It's always insane watching him hurt his ankle and shake it off almost immediately.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#11 » by red_power » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Assuming that Champion Rings doesn't put any effort on defense anymore unless it's absolutely necessary.. I guess he would maintain his current playing level for considerable amount of time.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#12 » by RaptorRed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 pm

It's a mystery because he has been a freak of nature his entire career. We just have to wait and see. It will be very sad once it happens though, seeing him struggle will be hard to watch
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#13 » by jeffjtk1234 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Warchant wrote:

You cant even compare Kobe and LB's game....LB is either drive to the basket or shoot a long jumper...he doesnt have an intermediate game he can rely on so if LB loses his quickness he will b done as an elite scorer

If Lebron wanted to dominate in the post he would. He basically carried the cavs to two wins in the 2015 finals by working in the post. His game doesn't solely rely on his quickness.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
RaptorRed
Rookie

Post#14 » by RaptorRed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 pm

jeffjtk1234 wrote:
Warchant wrote:

If Lebron wanted to dominate in the post he would. He basically carried the cavs to two wins in the 2015 finals by working in the post. His game doesn't solely rely on his quickness.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Yeah he will have to do a lot more of that once his athleticism goes away
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#15 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Can this board keep this up? Even in this board's 14th consecutive season, it continues to chug right alone, posting yet another thread about Lebron James and his abilities.

How many "when will Lebron decline" type threads have we had in the last month?

On a serious note, it was quite the performance by the King
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Lots of great NBA players have still been great at age 32 so this is a question that needs to be asked again in 2-3 years. Playing at your peak past age 35 may have never been done. Jordan won his last title at 35. Karl Malone was quite good but slipping. Nash, Dirk, Kobe, Kareem, Duncan were all past their peaks.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
nbafan38
Head Coach

Post#17 » by nbafan38 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm

The_Hater wrote:Lots of great NBA players have still been great at age 32 so this is a question that needs to be asked again in 2-3 years. Playing at your peak past age 35 may have never been done. Jordan won his last title at 35. Karl Malone was quite good but slipping. Nash, Dirk, Kobe, Kareem, Duncan were all past their peaks.

Duncan was still playing great in the 2013 and 2014 finals although yea not at his peak level for sure.
RaptorRed
Rookie

Post#18 » by RaptorRed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

nbafan38 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:Lots of great NBA players have still been great at age 32 so this is a question that needs to be asked again in 2-3 years. Playing at your peak past age 35 may have never been done. Jordan won his last title at 35. Karl Malone was quite good but slipping. Nash, Dirk, Kobe, Kareem, Duncan were all past their peaks.

Duncan was still playing great in the 2013 and 2014 finals although yea not at his peak level for sure.

No he wasn't. Define great ? He was missing layups even.
nbafan38
Head Coach

Post#19 » by nbafan38 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 pm

RaptorRed wrote:
nbafan38 wrote:

No he wasn't. Define great ? He was missing layups even.

He averaged 18.9 points in the series in 2013 at age 36 which was the leading scorer on the team and I remember him carrying the spurs during game 6 of the finals (the game with Allen's heroics)
MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Post#20 » by MrCheerios » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Kobe was dominant until the Achilles tear at 34 years old. Jordan averaged 20/7 playing 82 games and 37mpg at 40 years old. Yes, Lebron can keep this up for a long time should he avoid injury. He's one of the best conditioned players in the league with a very high athletic ceiling. He's also strong and has length, which aren't going away any time soon. It's obvious that he coasts during the regular season, so he's avoiding the normal wear and tear.

Return to The General Board