The top 3: Chargers, Buccaneers, 49ers

The bottom 3: Panthers, Rams, Lions
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Re: Best and Worst Drafts of 2017 

Post#2 » by NinerSickness » Mon May 1, 2017 5:19 am

The Jags & Ravens murdered this draft.

But the teams who did the best were the Bears & Texans. Franchise QB > anything else.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#3 » by CalamityX12 » Mon May 1, 2017 1:59 pm

In no order

Top 3: 49ers(tho CJ kinda put me off but w.e), Jags and Bucs IMO

Bot 3: Rams, Denver and Buff
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Mon May 1, 2017 6:46 pm

Loved the Eagles draft:

Derek Barnett
Sidney Jones
Rasul Douglas
Mack Hollins
Donnel Pumphrey
Shelton Gibson
Nathan Gerry
Elijah Qualls

I like the Browns' because I feel like they might have come out with 3 impactful players: Myles Garrett, David Njoku, and DeShone Kizer.

Ravens per usual -- they got the top CB in the draft in Marlon Humphrey, and landed Tim Williams in the 3rd. Tyus Bower and Chris Wormley are pretty good picks as well.

I like what we did in the first 3 picks - Thomas (might be my favorite 49ers first round pick since Willis), and I like Foster of course and Witherspoon is solid. Don't like what we did later on in the draft considering some of the guys that were available, and I thought we reached massively on Beathard.

The Jets got what might be a top 20 player in this class in the 3rd round in ArDarius Stewart.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#5 » by RedneckNiner » Mon May 1, 2017 7:52 pm

Outside of Beathard Lynch killed it.. Ravens Eagles, Titans killed it...

Bears bombed it
clyde21
RealGM

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Mon May 1, 2017 10:37 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:Outside of Beathard Lynch killed it.. Ravens Eagles, Titans killed it...

Bears bombed it

I disagree.

I won't complain much about the first three picks: Thomas is one my all-time favorite picks and I like Foster and understand Witherspoon. My issues:

1. DeShone Kizer was there late in the 2nd where we could've traded up for him and still nabbed Witherspoon in the third if that was our guy. Even if Kizer doesn't workout this year, taking him in the second wouldn't change what we do next draft in terms of grabbing a signal caller.

2. I understand Kyle Shanahan liked Beathard the most and as GM you'd have to honor that working relationship if you trust your HC, but I just can't get behind it sitting on the outside looking in. We passed up on some good names at that spot, mainly Eddie Jackson, Dorian Johnson, Samaje Perine and Carl Lawson.

3. Joe Williams. Again, I can't get behind this from the outside looking in. They've talked to him so maybe they feel much more comfortable with him, but to take a RB that quit on his team mid-season at that spot in a loaded draft class is quite risky. And that's not even including his deficiencies as a prospect. Players we passed up: Nico Siragusa, Josh Malone, Julien Davenport and the RB I wanted, Jamaal Williams.

4. George Kittle. Hard for me to get behind this as well knowing Bucky Hodges was available. Maybe they're looking for another blocking TE (we already have a couple on the roster)...but Hodges provided a dimension we don't have is quite frankly a much better prospect. Other prospects we passed on: Damontae Kazee, Desmond King, and Corn Elder.

5. Trent Taylor/D.J. Jones/Pita Taumoepenu. These three I understand the logic behind. I would've gone in a different direction in all cases, but at least I can see what the thought process here was and the value matches.

This is what this draft would've more or less looked like had I been pulling the trigger:

1. Solomon Thomas
2. Reuben Foster
3. DeShone Kizer
4. Dorian Johnson
5. Jamaal Williams
6. Damontae Kazee
7. Xavier Woods
8. Bucky Hodges
9. DeAngelo Henderson

We'll see it it all works out.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#7 » by I_am_1z » Tue May 2, 2017 4:03 am

clyde21 wrote:
RedneckNiner wrote:Outside of Beathard Lynch killed it.. Ravens Eagles, Titans killed it...

Bears bombed it

This is what this draft would've more or less looked like had I been pulling the trigger:

1. Solomon Thomas
2. Reuben Foster
3. DeShone Kizer
4. Dorian Johnson
5. Jamaal Williams
6. Damontae Kazee
7. Xavier Woods
8. Bucky Hodges
9. DeAngelo Henderson

That's after knowing where all the players were taken. We should have done a live draft on here to see who people would have taken because I'm sure you would have taken Kizer with one of our 1st round picks and Hodges in the 2nd or 3rd.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#8 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue May 2, 2017 4:20 am

Top 5: Cowboys, Cincinnati, Carolina, San Fran, Jacksonville

I'm also very impressed with the Texans' draft. They didn't make the top 5 because at the end of the day, they no longer have a 1st round pick in 2018 draft. You got to penalize them just a little bit even if they landed their franchise QB.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Tue May 2, 2017 5:26 am

I_am_1z wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Bears bombed it

1. Solomon Thomas
2. Reuben Foster
3. DeShone Kizer
4. Dorian Johnson
5. Jamaal Williams
6. Damontae Kazee
7. Xavier Woods
8. Bucky Hodges
9. DeAngelo Henderson

That's after knowing where all the players were taken. We should have done a live draft on here to see who people would have taken because I'm sure you would have taken Kizer with one of our 1st round picks and Hodges in the 2nd or 3rd.

Yes and no. When you're actually in the war room you tend to have inside information as to where players might likely go as you'd have a team dedicated to finding this stuff out, so I'm just going by who I'd pick at each of the spots knowing what we now.

But yes, on the outside I would've taken Kizer at 31 instead of Foster, but the fact that Kizer made it to the late second and we could've traded for him kind of negates that anyways, which is why I put that order.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#10 » by RedneckNiner » Wed May 10, 2017 12:08 am

clyde21 wrote:

Bears bombed it

I disagree.

I won't complain much about the first three picks: Thomas is one my all-time favorite picks and I like Foster and understand Witherspoon. My issues:

1. DeShone Kizer was there late in the 2nd where we could've traded up for him and still nabbed Witherspoon in the third if that was our guy. Even if Kizer doesn't workout this year, taking him in the second wouldn't change what we do next draft in terms of grabbing a signal caller.

2. I understand Kyle Shanahan liked Beathard the most and as GM you'd have to honor that working relationship if you trust your HC, but I just can't get behind it sitting on the outside looking in. We passed up on some good names at that spot, mainly Eddie Jackson, Dorian Johnson, Samaje Perine and Carl Lawson.

3. Joe Williams. Again, I can't get behind this from the outside looking in. They've talked to him so maybe they feel much more comfortable with him, but to take a RB that quit on his team mid-season at that spot in a loaded draft class is quite risky. And that's not even including his deficiencies as a prospect. Players we passed up: Nico Siragusa, Josh Malone, Julien Davenport and the RB I wanted, Jamaal Williams.

4. George Kittle. Hard for me to get behind this as well knowing Bucky Hodges was available. Maybe they're looking for another blocking TE (we already have a couple on the roster)...but Hodges provided a dimension we don't have is quite frankly a much better prospect. Other prospects we passed on: Damontae Kazee, Desmond King, and Corn Elder.

5. Trent Taylor/D.J. Jones/Pita Taumoepenu. These three I understand the logic behind. I would've gone in a different direction in all cases, but at least I can see what the thought process here was and the value matches.

1. Solomon Thomas
2. Reuben Foster
3. DeShone Kizer
4. Dorian Johnson
5. Jamaal Williams
6. Damontae Kazee
7. Xavier Woods
8. Bucky Hodges
9. DeAngelo Henderson

I would be okay with most of your Picks. I like Kittle.... Kizer I've gone back and forth on. Would I have taken him over Foster. NO. Unequivocally no. I don't trust his makeup... he has the talent no question... But in 18 Darnold, Browning, Allen Rudolph are arguably as good or better. Rudolph is the one im most interested in watching.

Return to San Francisco 49ers