Recent quarterback decisions

Moderator: bwgood77

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Recent quarterback decisions 

Post#1 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed May 3, 2017 12:13 am

Who got it right, and who got it wrong?
Bears traded two third round picks for Trubisky, a player with one year experience.
Texans traded up for Watson. Compared to Robert Griffin with a worse deep ball.
Browns drafted Kizer. Drafting a mediocre quarterback prospect two straight drafts.
Steelers drafted Dobbs. Jones and Dobbs are the future of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Chiefs traded up for Mahomes. A lot of potential, but high bust potential.
Jets stayed pat. May have the worst quarterback group in football.
Giants drafted Webb.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,424

Re: Recent quarterback decisions 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 3, 2017 12:34 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:Who got it right, and who got it wrong?
Bears traded two third round picks for Trubisky, a player with one year experience.
Texans traded up for Watson. Compared to Robert Griffin with a worse deep ball.
Browns drafted Kizer. Drafting a mediocre quarterback prospect two straight drafts.
Steelers drafted Dobbs. Jones and Dobbs are the future of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Chiefs traded up for Mahomes. A lot of potential, but high bust potential.
Jets stayed pat. May have the worst quarterback group in football.
Giants drafted Webb.

I'm not a fan of drafting a QB in the first/trading up for one, unless its a no-doubter (Luck, Newton, Manning).

I thought what the Bears did was idiotic. Not a huge fan of Trubisky, even less of a fan of the trade up (3 to 2). I just don't understand it, period.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,796

Post#3 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Wed May 3, 2017 12:51 am

Only Bears fans can b**** and moan about never having a quarterback, then the GM identifies the one he thinks will be a franchise guy and does what he feels he needs to do to make sure he is in position to get him, and they are still upset. If Pace thinks Trubisky is a franchise talent at the most important position in sports, mid round picks are peanuts to go and get him. Anyone can speculate if he had to make that trade or not, it doesn't matter he identified his guy and got him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 3, 2017 12:59 am

ChiCityHoops34 wrote:Only Bears fans can b**** and moan about never having a quarterback, then the GM identifies the one he thinks will be a franchise guy and does what he feels he needs to do to make sure he is in position to get him, and they are still upset. If Pace thinks Trubisky is a franchise talent at the most important position in sports, mid round picks are peanuts to go and get him. Anyone can speculate if he had to make that trade or not, it doesn't matter he identified his guy and got him.

The problem is that Chicago was basically bidding against itself. Really no need to trade up with SF. They likely would have still had their guy at 3. And giving up 3rd rounders is not peanuts. Those picks are typically starting caliber players.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 3, 2017 1:20 am

I maintained from the outset that I didn't think these guys were 1st round material and I stand by that. That said - I'm curious as to who (if anyone) was in play for Trubisky that created the need for the Bears to give up that much to move up one spot. If I'm a Bears fan and I learn down the road that the Niners played them, then I'm pissed.

As far as KC and Houston, I suppose both can make valid arguments for the moves they made. The Texans absolutely had to upgrade and I'm one of the few who like the fit of Mahombs with Andy Reid. He doesn't have to be more than a clipboard holder this season and I still think he's going to be really good. Didn't mind the Browns taking Kizer where they took him. Roll the dice knowing they have plenty of ammunition in next year's draft when the QB position will be strong.

Jets... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Wed May 3, 2017 3:05 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
ChiCityHoops34 wrote:Only Bears fans can b**** and moan about never having a quarterback, then the GM identifies the one he thinks will be a franchise guy and does what he feels he needs to do to make sure he is in position to get him, and they are still upset. If Pace thinks Trubisky is a franchise talent at the most important position in sports, mid round picks are peanuts to go and get him. Anyone can speculate if he had to make that trade or not, it doesn't matter he identified his guy and got him.

The problem is that Chicago was basically bidding against itself. Really no need to trade up with SF. They likely would have still had their guy at 3. And giving up 3rd rounders is not peanuts. Those picks are typically starting caliber players.

The Bears have been to the playoffs once since the 06 Superbowl. That's a lot of third round picks that didn't help them sustain success.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 3, 2017 3:10 am

ChiCityHoops34 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

The Bears have been to the playoffs once since the 06 Superbowl. That's a lot of third round picks that didn't help them sustain success.

That's on your scouting department. Take it from a fan of a team that has had some epically bad drafts. And - if Trubisky doesn't pan out, that's a bigger indictment of your scouting department.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 3, 2017 3:13 am

ChiCityHoops34 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Which signals poor scouting. It would appear Chicago needs better decision makers as a whole. The better teams are able to turn those picks into decent players (impact players). Actually picks Rounds 1-4 are typically considered potentially starting caliber.
ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Wed May 3, 2017 3:16 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
ChiCityHoops34 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The problem is that Chicago was basically bidding against itself. Really no need to trade up with SF. They likely would have still had their guy at 3. And giving up 3rd rounders is not peanuts. Those picks are typically starting caliber players.

That's on your scouting department. Take it from a fan of a team that has had some epically bad drafts. And - if Trubisky doesn't pan out, that's a bigger indictment of your scouting department.

I've never seen a great quarter back run my team. I have seen my team take Cedric Benson, David Terrell, Shea Mclellin, in the first round so I don't want to hear about how valuable a third round pick is. If my new GM identifies his guy in the most important position in all of sports go grab him and don't risk leaving it up for chance.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 3, 2017 12:14 pm

ChiCityHoops34 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
ChiCityHoops34 wrote:

I've never seen a great quarter back run my team. I have seen my team take Cedric Benson, David Terrell, Shea Mclellin, in the first round so I don't want to hear about how valuable a third round pick is. If my new GM identifies his guy in the most important position in all of sports go grab him and don't risk leaving it up for chance.

Well - I have seen a damn good quarterback "lead" your team. My prediction - no one is going to confuse Mitch Trubisky with Jim McMahon. And - as far as how valuable a 3rd round pick is... ask our resident Seahawks fan how that goes. Seattle used a 3rd on a QB in 2012. He worked out. Looks like the 4th that Dallas used on a QB last year will too. That's scouting, my friend.

Enjoy your continued mediocrity. Packers, Lions and ViQueens fans sure will.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#11 » by Latrell » Wed May 3, 2017 6:22 pm

Just because of the overwhelming **** on the Trubinsky pick by the media and everyone, I think he's going to be a stud.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 3, 2017 6:27 pm

Latrell wrote:Just because of the overwhelming **** on the Trubinsky pick by the media and everyone, I think he's going to be a stud.

Destined for the HOF :wink:
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#13 » by shawn_hemp » Wed May 3, 2017 8:44 pm

I just think the Bears did both Trubisky and Mike Glennon a disservice by having them going into the season witj Glennon supposedly as "the guy" and now Trubisky throws a monkey wrench into everything.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#14 » by RavenMad31 » Thu May 4, 2017 3:00 am

Latrell wrote:Just because of the overwhelming **** on the Trubinsky pick by the media and everyone, I think he's going to be a stud.

Nobody in the long history of that franchise has been a stud QB. Jay Cutler is the greatest QB in Bears history. That's not even a joke. Hell, Jim Harbaugh is probaby third of fourth best depending on your opinion of Sid Luckman and Jim McMahon.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Thu May 4, 2017 5:11 am

In my world of football, it's not just Chicago fans complaining about the pick, but everybody I know has done the same, and has laughed at the pick.
In due time we shall see what the outcome is and if Chicago has their guy or not. If so, the GM is a keeper, but he better hope Trubisky is prepared to save his job.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu May 4, 2017 1:29 pm

HMFFL wrote:

In my world of football, it's not just Chicago fans complaining about the pick, but everybody I know has done the same, and has laughed at the pick.
In due time we shall see what the outcome is and if Chicago has their guy or not. If so, the GM is a keeper, but he better hope Trubisky is prepared to save his job.

And - that is ALWAYS what it comes down to when drafting a QB in the 1st round... especially that high. The GM putting his arse on the line. He hits and he's a genius. He misses... the QB isn't the only one looking for work.
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#17 » by shawn_hemp » Thu May 4, 2017 2:05 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

And - that is ALWAYS what it comes down to when drafting a QB in the 1st round... especially that high. The GM putting his arse on the line. He hits and he's a genius. He misses... the QB isn't the only one looking for work.

Yeah, it's definitely a rock and a hard place proposition

Your fan base kills you if you draft a QB early and they don't come in and tear it up, yet also will kill you if you don't draft a QB early.

Andrew Luck kind of ruined the expectations for QBs now IMO
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu May 4, 2017 2:20 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Yeah, it's definitely a rock and a hard place proposition

Your fan base kills you if you draft a QB early and they don't come in and tear it up, yet also will kill you if you don't draft a QB early.

Andrew Luck kind of ruined the expectations for QBs now IMO

Gene Smith (JAX) agrees.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu May 4, 2017 4:34 pm

Meanwhile, in other Bears QB decisions...

Read on Twitter
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#20 » by shawn_hemp » Thu May 4, 2017 5:16 pm

I almost feel bad for Jay Cutler. He has one of those unlikable faces and a lot of people hate him without really having a reason for why.

Can't see him broadcasting

Return to The General NFL Board