Recent quarterback decisions

Moderator: bwgood77

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: Recent quarterback decisions 

Post#21 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu May 4, 2017 5:24 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:I almost feel bad for Jay Cutler. He has one of those unlikable faces and a lot of people hate him without really having a reason for why.

Can't see him broadcasting

You know... he's such a likable guy.

You know...

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#22 » by InfraRedshaw » Thu May 4, 2017 5:39 pm

i think KC nailed it, Mahomes looked to me like the highest upside QB, they have a perfect deployment plan with letting him sit behind Alex Smith as well
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#23 » by RavenMad31 » Thu May 4, 2017 5:54 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:I almost feel bad for Jay Cutler. He has one of those unlikable faces and a lot of people hate him without really having a reason for why.

Oh, he is totally a victim of the face his mama gave him. If he had anyone else's face, I guarantee there would likely be a completely different narrative about who he is as a person.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 5, 2017 1:29 pm

Oops.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/05/jay-cutler-to-retire-from-playing-work-as-fox-commentator/
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,230

Post#25 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri May 5, 2017 3:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

You know...

First Skip Dickless, and now Jay Cutler, Fox has gone downhill big time.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 5, 2017 3:33 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

You know...

First Skip Dickless, and now Jay Cutler, Fox has gone downhill big time.

Who knew at this time last year we would be discussing how much we miss John Lynch at this time this year...
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#27 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri May 5, 2017 3:42 pm

Funny how things change year to year lately. I just never understood the love not only for Romo but for also Cutler. I had him pegged as a bum, bust and loser from day 1. Good place for him imho at Fox. He will fit in perfectly with Skip and some of the others. I guess they need a distraction with the Bill O'Reilly and Roger Ayles mess.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#28 » by FNQ » Fri May 5, 2017 3:46 pm

One thing that this Cutler decision tells me: (and this may be unpopular, I know my non-sports-fan liberal friends hated me saying it) Doesnt this kinda justify why Kap is currently out of the league?

Now I'm as liberal as the day is long, but we've seen a lot of Kap's body of work for the past 6 years. He, like Terrell Pryor, has a cannon for an arm, can run the entire length of the field in a blink.. but what does that matter if you can't throw with any accuracy or read a defense?

An experienced QB like Jay Cutler was largely ignored by the NFL for the same reasons - often hurt, makes poor decisions, and is unlikely to change his spots at this point in his career. Ditto Kaep. Now if Kaep showed some willingness to be a WR a la Pryor, I think he'd be brought in somewhere. But I truly believe we've seen the last of Colin Kaepernick, QB, in the NFL. And while there might be some political undertones to it, I'd say at least 90% of it is due to him just not being a good quarterback
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,181

Post#29 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 5, 2017 4:17 pm

I like Pittsburgh and kc. Both can sit wait and learn.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,423

Post#30 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 5, 2017 4:40 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Oops.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/05/jay-cutler-to-retire-from-playing-work-as-fox-commentator/

Oh brother. :lol:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 5, 2017 4:42 pm

FNQ wrote:One thing that this Cutler decision tells me: (and this may be unpopular, I know my non-sports-fan liberal friends hated me saying it) Doesnt this kinda justify why Kap is currently out of the league?

I'm sure there are those who will find fault with you. I'm not one of them. A QB has to complete passes consistently. Kap doesn't.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#32 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 5, 2017 4:51 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
FNQ wrote:One thing that this Cutler decision tells me: (and this may be unpopular, I know my non-sports-fan liberal friends hated me saying it) Doesnt this kinda justify why Kap is currently out of the league?

I'm sure there are those who will find fault with you. I'm not one of them. A QB has to complete passes consistently. Kap doesn't.

Tbh, I'd take him as a backup.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 5, 2017 4:57 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Not a bad fit with your offense. I could see that...
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 5, 2017 4:59 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

And - he could fit here as well. Ball control with an emphasis on the run - that's the type of offense where he can be useful.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 5, 2017 5:01 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I'm almost certain the team would sign him too. The thing is he wants to be a starter along with starting money. Otherwise I'm convinced some team would have signed him by now.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#36 » by shawn_hemp » Fri May 5, 2017 5:15 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Tbh, I'd take him as a backup.

And - he could fit here as well. Ball control with an emphasis on the run - that's the type of offense where he can be useful.

couldnt just about any QB theoretically fit into a run-dominant system? especially a highly mobile QB?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 5, 2017 5:34 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

couldnt just about any QB theoretically fit into a run-dominant system? especially a highly mobile QB?

Tougher thing - finding that type of offense in today's NFL. There aren't that many.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#38 » by hermes » Sat May 6, 2017 2:20 pm

i generally like the idea of young qbs sitting and learning for a while (preferably behind a good/stable qb on a good team) to get ready more prepared for what they'll need to do. so kc and pitt stand out to me from that list. as an iowa fan i hope cj beathard works out for them, he doesn't really have the quality qbs ahead of him like pitt and kc but it doesn't seem like he'll be pressured at all to start

i'd worry about the bears, glennon does do so hot there will be a lot of pressure to get trubisky in there. and there will be a lot on his shoulders just because of how much they spent to get him. watson is in a better spot with his supporting cast and i think he could be good

some of the others who waited or didn't address qb at all (browns, jets, 49ers i guess) might be looking ahead to next year since they are probably going to be bad again and next years qb class looks a lot better
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat May 6, 2017 3:30 pm

hermes wrote:i generally like the idea of young qbs sitting and learning for a while (preferably behind a good/stable qb on a good team) to get ready more prepared for what they'll need to do. so kc and pitt stand out to me from that list. as an iowa fan i hope cj beathard works out for them, he doesn't really have the quality qbs ahead of him like pitt and kc but it doesn't seem like he'll be pressured at all to start

i'd worry about the bears, glennon does do so hot there will be a lot of pressure to get trubisky in there. and there will be a lot on his shoulders just because of how much they spent to get him. watson is in a better spot with his supporting cast and i think he could be good

some of the others who waited or didn't address qb at all (browns, jets, 49ers i guess) might be looking ahead to next year since they are probably going to be bad again and next years qb class looks a lot better

That's exactly how I looked at this draft Herm. The QB class next year will be significantly better than this one did. No point in reaching this year when you could have just took the BPA , suck it up one year then strike big next year instead.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#40 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun May 7, 2017 9:49 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Tbh, I'd take him as a backup.

I'm almost certain the team would sign him too. The thing is he wants to be a starter along with starting money. Otherwise I'm convinced some team would have signed him by now.

LOL, as long as he has a bike he can ride when things don't work out.

Return to The General NFL Board