ImageImageImageImageImage

What does a Jays firesale look like?

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Re: What does a Jays firesale look like? 

Post#101 » by Schad » Sat May 6, 2017 6:42 pm

I'd do it because I really want to see the Red Sox payroll get so unwieldy that they start to lose people, and it's not far from that now. Dombrowski might not do it for that reason, as it would be the payroll bomb to end all payroll bombs (they'd have Sale, Donaldson and Kimbrel hitting FA simultaneously, plus a host of their youngsters getting deep into the arb system), but it'd be fun to watch.
**** your asterisk.
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#102 » by Kinger95 » Mon May 8, 2017 12:40 am

Donaldson and Estrada to Boston for benintendi and devers
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#103 » by BramptonYute » Thu May 11, 2017 12:08 am

im starting to think only estrada, donaldson and pillar get you something significant
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Re: RE: Re: What does a Jays firesale look like? 

Post#104 » by North_of_Border » Thu May 11, 2017 1:29 am

BramptonYute wrote:im starting to think only estrada, donaldson and pillar get you something significant

I honestly would test the market on Sanchez & Osuna. If the Jays rebuild go all in. Sanchez is gonna bolt at first chance because of Boras. Osuna is not gonna start at this point plus he has injury risk.

Of course you don't give these guys away. They are young controlable studs with huge potential. So you test to see if someone over pays. I mean a huge huge special return.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Post#105 » by North_of_Border » Thu May 11, 2017 10:42 pm

When the Jays started slow, I thought if they decide to rebuild, Shapiro has a goldmine of veterans to deal. Jays could cash in big time.

Though now. The only veterans I see bringing in a significant return are Estrada, Donaldson, Pillar, Happ.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#106 » by BramptonYute » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm

The Washington Nationals’ desperate need for a closer has led them to internally consider various possibilities, including acquiring Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-blue-jays-osuna-among-closer-options-nationals-radar/
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by Schad » Thu May 18, 2017 7:53 pm

BramptonYute wrote:
The Washington Nationals’ desperate need for a closer has led them to internally consider various possibilities, including acquiring Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-blue-jays-osuna-among-closer-options-nationals-radar/

Their farm system isn't all that great anymore, but I'd take a deal involving Erick Fedde and Juan Soto.
**** your asterisk.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Re: RE: Re: What does a Jays firesale look like? 

Post#108 » by North_of_Border » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Schad wrote:
BramptonYute wrote:

Their farm system isn't all that great anymore, but I'd take a deal involving Erick Fedde and Juan Soto.

lol. Ur rite.

Had this happened at an earlier time it, the Jays would have been like a kid in a candy store. The Nationals were loaded in the farm and obviously willing to deal good pieces.

Look at what CWS got for Eaton. Osuna would gave gotten something comparable.

Oh well.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#109 » by polo007 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Stephen Brunt joins Sportsnet’s Starting Lineup to discuss whether the Blue Jays could withstand years of losing and a complete teardown, or if they could manage a build on the fly approach?

Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#110 » by Scorpion King » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:53 pm

would love to see shapiro replinsh farm system

trade away donaldson, estrada, happ, tulowitzki, bautista, morales, martin and give young guys a chance
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#111 » by The_Hater » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:11 am

Scorpion King wrote:would love to see shapiro replinsh farm system

trade away donaldson, estrada, happ, tulowitzki, bautista, morales, martin and give young guys a chance

It needs to be done this summer. We're old, slow and simply not very good.

And we shouldn't be afraid to move JD. Love the guy but giving him a massive 7 year contract at age 31-32 shouldn't be our road map.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Schad » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:39 am

We have some serious bats coming through the system (although I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at more). Swing some moves this summer and offseason that bring some arms and we'll have an exciting, young and extremely talented group in 2-3 years...though, ultimately, we might have to consider moving the likes of Sanchez down the road if he cannot be extended.

The key to avoiding a protracted rebuild is to be aggressive in rebuilding...wring every ounce of value out of the older players where we can, or players like Osuna whose value on the market probably exceeds their long-term value for our team. This ain't 2001; youth can win, if your youth is good.
**** your asterisk.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#113 » by fouronesix22 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:48 am

Schad wrote:We have some serious bats coming through the system (although I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at more). Swing some moves this summer and offseason that bring some arms and we'll have an exciting, young and extremely talented group in 2-3 years...though, ultimately, we might have to consider moving the likes of Sanchez down the road if he cannot be extended.

The key to avoiding a protracted rebuild is to be aggressive in rebuilding...wring every ounce of value out of the older players where we can, or players like Osuna whose value on the market probably exceeds their long-term value for our team. This ain't 2001; youth can win, if your youth is good.

I agree that the jays should just get the rebuild going. Whats the point of buying right now if we inevitably have to rebuild if the season is a failure. We are the slowest team in baseball, we only score with homeruns so no balance just frustrating to watch now. I agree with you about being aggressive and getting the best return is the only way to turn things quickly.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#114 » by fouronesix22 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:49 am

As long as we dont trade to anyone to our division Im happy. If the red sox end up with donaldson and he lights us up i would cry
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Schad » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:56 am

fouronesix22 wrote:As long as we dont trade to anyone to our division Im happy. If the red sox end up with donaldson and he lights us up i would cry

Counterargument: if the Red Sox acquire Donaldson, contributing to the payroll bomb they have developing, ensuring that they lose talent in 2019/2020 when that bomb explodes, and sapping their diminishing farm system, bring 'er on. I'd happily take Devers and Groome off their hands and leave them with a talent desert for a spell.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#116 » by dagger » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:57 am

Kinger95 wrote:Donaldson and Estrada to Boston for benintendi and devers

Benintendi is likely untouchable - top prospect in baseball at the start of this season. If Donaldson was flashing his best form, it might move the needle. Estrada certainly isn't pitching well - looks more like Milwaukee Estrada recently.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#117 » by dagger » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:58 am

fouronesix22 wrote:As long as we dont trade to anyone to our division Im happy. If the red sox end up with donaldson and he lights us up i would cry

Let's not make the mistake of overplaying our hand. Best offer - highest quality prospect or prospects worthy of him. No matter who it's from.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#118 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Jul 1, 2017 12:56 pm

Agree with Schad, if you're going to rebuild, go all in. If you have a young player who likely won't be around by the time you're competitive again, he should be moved.

All of these guys should be moved, if possible:
Donaldson
Smoak
Martin
Happ
Bautista
Pillar
Estrada
Morales
Tulowitzki

You have to look seriously at moving Stroman, Sanchez and Osuna, too. Particularly if one of them can get you out from under Tulo's contract.

Done right, it will be an absolute gutting. And we may lose 100+ games next year. I'd be looking for AAA and AA talent that's ready for big league experience in 2018.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#119 » by The_Hater » Sat Jul 1, 2017 12:58 pm

If those teams want to pony up the best offer, I would take it. They're both going to be big players in the JD free agent market of 2018 anyways. Might as well make them pay for him.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,471

Post#120 » by Cyrus » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:24 pm

Curious does anyone know when the last time the Jays and Sox got together on a deal? Or Jays and Yanks, Jays and Balt? Any significant deals or were it just a minor league player for cash type of deal.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays