Bears Undrafted Free Agents

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Bears Undrafted Free Agents 

Post#1 » by fleet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:01 am

There's more, I know there's a project left tackle that needs to gain weight, but I noticed this receiver for one. He's a problem child, drinks, he fell asleep in a Whataburger drive thru. DUI, probation, team discipline etc. Never really got his career on-track. I guess why he wasn't drafted or invited to the combine. Got size and measurables:

6' 0, 205lbs
4.37 40-yard dash
41 1/2-inch vertical
10-foot-3-inch broad jump
4.29-second short shuttle
7.26-second three-cone
20 reps on benchpress,

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Re: Bears Undrafted Free Agents 

Post#2 » by fleet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:25 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#3 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:11 am

Well hopefully that guy can keep his nose clean.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#4 » by fleet » Tue May 2, 2017 11:58 pm

RedBulls83 wrote:Well hopefully that guy can keep his nose clean.

It looks like this is the only thing holding him back from a career. The Bears are taking home run swings with their undrafted free agents, with only 5 draft picks coming in. I think they have yet another (undrafted) basketball player coming in to play TE in addition to Shaheen. Anyway, Seales can high point the ball with that vert.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#5 » by fleet » Sat May 6, 2017 12:04 am

DT Rashaad Coward (Old Dominion)

A two-year starter at Old Dominion, Coward racked up 136 tackles (14.5 for a loss), 3.5 sacks. He had 50 tackles (7.5 for a loss) and 1.5 sacks as a senior captain. At 6'5", 322 lbs., this kid is a load and he'll get a chance to be groomed in Vic Fangio's 3-4 front. Coward announced the signing on his Instagram page.

WR Tanner Gentry (Wyoming)

There is a real opportunity for Gentry to earn a roster spot at a wide receiver spot up for grabs. The 6'2", 201-pounder totaled 180 catches for 2,815 receiving yards and 20 touchdowns in four seasons. His junior season was shortened to seven games due to a shoulder injury. Gentry recorded 72 catches for 1,326 yards and 14 touchdowns as a senior. The school announced the move on Twitter.

OL Dieugot Joseph (Florida International)

Joseph was a defensive end when he arrived at Florida International. He then moved to left tackle, starting 30 games over the next three seasons. He had an injury prone junior campaign, starting only four games. At 6'6", 293 lbs., he'll compete to be a reserve tackle. His agent Will Sarubbi announced the signing.

TE Franko House (Ball State)

The 6'6", 248-pounder is making the switch from basketball, as a forward to tight end. He fits the mold of a true athlete moving to the NFL. Second round pick Adam Shaheen is a replica of that. Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs announced the move on Twitter.

FB Freddie Stevenson (Florida State)

Stevenson started 21 games at Florida State, serving as a lead blocker and core special teamer. The 6'0", 234-pounder led his positional group with 24 repetitions on the bench press. The Ledger's Brady Fredericksen announced the signing on Twitter.

RB Joel Bouagnon (Northern Illinois)

Bouagnon started 31 games at Northern Illinois. He rushed 600 times for 2,911 yards and 31 touchdowns. The 6'2", 228-pounder is in a deep running back room and is a longshot for the roster. But he comes with a lot of experience. The move was announced by Biggs.

OL Mitchell Kirsch (James Madison)

Kirsch started 37 games in four years at James Madison. The 6'6", 300-pounder is a tackle first and foremost and that will give him a chance to compete for a practice squad spot. The Bears need help at that position. The move was announced by Greg Madia of the Daily News-Record.

WR Jhajuan Seales (Oklahoma State)

The 6'0", 205-pounder hauled in 112 passes for 1,785 yards and 12 touchdowns. He will be competing with a versatile wide receiver room. Seales' signing was announced by the Oklahoma State football Twitter account.

TE DeSean Smith (LSU)

At 6'4", 240 lbs., Smith came to LSU to earn a chance to catch footballs. He didn't really get that chance. He totaled 19 catches for 325 yards and a touchdown. His senior season line was 10 catches, 184 yards and a touchdown. He'll be looking to latch on with the Bears. The LSU football team announced the move through its Twitter account.

http://www.chicagonow.com/bears-backer/2017/04/2017-nfl-draft-chicago-bears-undrafted-free-agent-tracker/
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#6 » by Axxo » Mon May 8, 2017 7:25 pm

Interesting group of signees and invitees
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#7 » by fleet » Wed May 10, 2017 1:06 am

Axxo wrote:Interesting group of signees and invitees

With the Bears only drafting five players this year, there are a few of these free agents who will compete for a spot on the 53-man roster and/or practice squad. Here are a few of the more interesting names.

Tanner Gentry, WR, Wyoming

Gentry is an interesting prospect, if only because of his size and production in 2016. He’s 6-foot-2, 210 pounds and ran the 40 in 4.56. He also had a 10-foot, 3-inch standing long jump, a 38-inch vertical jump and did 18 reps of 225 pounds, which is impressive for a receiver.

In the 2016, Gentry was Wyoming’s go-to receiver with 72 receptions for 1,326 yards and 14 touchdowns. Tanner is a physical receiver who competes for the ball in traffic and is a physical runner after the catch. He’s effective on long and short routes and has excellent hands. With his physical style of play, he looks to have good special teams potential, something the fourth, fifth and sixth wide receivers have to be proficient at.

Freddie Stevenson, FB, Florida State

Fullback isn’t a position that many teams in the NFL use. The Bears are one of the few teams that kept a fullback on the 53-man roster last season. Currently, second-year pro Paul Lasike fills that role.

ADVERTISING

Stevenson was one of the first players the Bears signed after the conclusion of the draft, and he was generally regarded as of the to two fullbacks in the country alongside Virginia Tech’s Sam Rogers.

Steveson has good size at 6-foot, 235 pounds with 4.75 speed. While not fast, he has quick feet and quick change of direction. He can block both in-line and when on the move. He also can clear out a space easily in short-yardage situations as well as hold his own in pass protection.

Stevenson wasn’t used much as a receiver or ball-carrier, but he shows good inside power and can get the tough yards. He had 16 carries for 90 yards and four touchdowns in 2016.

With his aggressiveness, he has good special teams potential and should challenge Lasike for a roster spot.

Dieugot Joseph, OT, Florida International

Joseph is a former defensive end who was moved to left tackle as a redshirt freshman. He’s tall but has a bit of a narrow frame. He’s 6-foot-6, 293 pounds and ran a 5.21 at the Florida International pro day.

Joseph is athletic and also has growth potential to about 310 pounds. He shows quick change of direction and balance. In pass protection, he sets quickly and does and adequate job of cutting off wide speed. What he will need to compete at the NFL level is more strength, bulk and technique work. He has the length and athleticism to play left tackle. Right now, I see him as more of a practice squad candidate who may be a year away from making a 53-man roster.

Andy Phillips, K, Utah

Phillips isn’t your typical kicker, as he’ll be a 28-year-old rookie. What’s the story behind that? Well, he’s a former world-class skier. He enrolled at Utah in 2012 and redshirted. Since 2013, he has been the Utes’ primary kicker.

Phillips is accurate, having missed only one PAT in four years. He has also made 84 of 100 field-goal attempts with a long of 53 during his four-year college career. In the last three seasons, his accuracy has been close to 87percent.

The question on Phillips isn’t accuracy but rather leg strength. At Utah, he kicked at altitude, so some scouts have questioned of he has an NFL leg. He will be interesting to track come training camp.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/05/09/gabriel-which-bears-undrafted-free-agents-have-a-chance-of-sticking-on-the-roster/?e=jOrt5YaYXgTwaQ
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#8 » by fleet » Thu May 11, 2017 12:16 pm

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/qbs-best-friend-bears-rookie-wr-tanner-gentry-is-one-to-watch/

QB’s best friend: Bears rookie WR Tanner Gentry is one to watch
BEARS 05/10/2017, 09:07pm

Adam L. Jahns
@adamjahns | email

Starting Friday at the Bears’ rookie minicamp, Gentry’s work begins with quarterback Mitch Trubisky, the second overall pick this year and the future of the franchise.

“I know that he’s a great player,” Gentry said. “He can obviously do a lot of great things. He has a great arm. From the highlights I’ve seen, he looks like a big, strong quarterback. I’m excited to get to work with him.”

The Bears are excited about Gentry, too. He highlights their list of undrafted free-agent signees — a group of players that shouldn’t be overlooked under general manager Ryan Pace and coach John Fox. Gentry signed with the Bears over a few AFC teams.

Receiver Cam Meredith, tight end Ben Braunecker, cornerback Bryce Callahan and linebackers Jonathan Anderson and John Timu are among the Bears’ undrafted free agents to start and play in the past two years. Safety Harold Jones-Quartey and cornerback Cre’Von LeBlanc are undrafted waiver-wire additions who also have played extensively.

“This weekend, [I want to] show I can just make plays on the ball,” said Gentry, who had 72 catches for 1,326 yards and 14 touchdowns last season at Wyoming. “Even if it’s not the best throw, it’s building that confidence [with Trubisky] that I’m going to come down with it and just compete for the ball.”

At 6-2 and 210 pounds, Gentry has the size to compete. At his pro day, he ran a 4.4 second 40-yard dash. He also has a 38-inch vertical jump, which would have been the fourth-best mark at the combine.

Having excelled in Wyoming’s offense, which has pro-style characteristics, will help Gentry’s transition. Unlike many other rookies, Gentry has experience running all routes. He lined up at all receiver spots and knows how to gain separation on play-action plays.

According to Pro Football Focus’ analysis, Gentry had 49 deep targets (throws of 20 yards or more through the air) to lead all college receivers in 2016.

“I try to do everything,” Gentry said. “I try to stay creative with my routes.”

Gentry also has the underdog, chip-on-my-shoulder personality that Pace and Fox search for and covet in players. He was a two-star recruit with two scholarship offers who developed into a star at Wyoming.

“I played a little upset about that,” Gentry said. “Going undrafted is definitely adding more fuel to the fire. I’m excited to go prove that I belong to play in the league.”
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#9 » by fleet » Fri May 12, 2017 6:19 am

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by fleet » Fri May 12, 2017 6:25 am

Here's a look at some of the notable UDFA's the Bears signed:

Tanner Gentry (WR), Wyoming: The 6-foot-2 wideout ran a 4.40-yard dash at his Pro Day and had 72 catches for 1,326 yards with 14 touchdowns for the Cowboys last season. Gentry also led the country in deep targets (49) last season.

Dieugot Joseph (OT), Florida International: After a switch from defensive end to the offensive line, Joseph became a stalwart at left tackle for the Panthers. Joseph was named honorable mention All-Conference USA in 2016.

Andy Phillips (K), Utah: A former member of the United States National Ski Team, Phillips walked on to the Utah football team in 2012. As the Utes starting kicker from 2013-16, Phillips converted 84 percent of field goals and missed just one extra point.

Freddie Stevenson (FB), Florida State: For three seasons Stevenson served as the lead blocker for All-American running back Dalvin Cook. A former four-star recruit as a linebacker, Stevenson had 292 total yards and seven touchdowns with the Seminoles.

Kermit Whitfield (WR), Florida State: One of the most explosive athletes in the country, Whitfield accumulated 2,386 yards as a kick returner at Florida State. Whitfield broke the ACC record for yards per return (36.4) during his freshman season.

Jhajuan Seales (WR), Oklahoma State: Seales has the ability to climb the ladder and make the contested catches with a 41.5-inch vertical leap. After subpar sophomore and junior seasons, Seales rebounded as a senior with 37 receptions for 615 yards and four touchdowns.

Franko House (TE), Ball State: House was a standout basketball player for the Cardinals. House will use his 6-foot-6, 247-pound frame to make the transition to the gridiron after not playing the sport since his senior year of high school.

Joel Bouagnon (RB), Northern Illinois: The ex-Huskies running back couldn't quite replicate his junior year numbers, but still posted a respectable 4.9 yards per carry with nine total touchdowns in 2016.

Rashaad Coward (DL), Old Dominion: Coward was a second-team All Conference USA selection last season, finishing with 50 tackles, 7.5 tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks. Coward fits the Bears 3-4 base defense as somebody who could rotate either inside or outside on the defensive line.

Mitchell Kirsch (OL), James Madison: Kirsch was the starter at right tackle for the Dukes since 2014, and was named an FCS All-American last year.

Below are some standout players who have been invited to rookie minicamp:

D.J. Johnson (TE), Kansas State: Johnson joins House as one of two college basketball players the Bears will have in rookie minicamp. Johnson averaged 11.3 points and 5.7 rebounds per game with the Wildcats in 2016-17 and helped the team to an appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Johnson was an All-Conference defensive end and tight end at Parkway North High School in St. Louis.

Mark Spelman (OL), Illinois State: Spelman was one of the key members of the Redbirds offensive line last season and garnered third-team All-American honors.

D'Nerius Antoine (S), Southern Mississippi: A two-year starter for the Golden Eagles, Antoine had 189 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss, 2 interceptions and 10 passes defended. Antoine also has experience as a returner.

DeSean Smith (TE), LSU: Smith wasn't often utlized in the Tigers passing game, ending his collegiate career with 19 receptions for 346 yards and one touchdown.

Lance Lenoir (WR), Western Illinois: Lenoir, a high school teammate of 2016 Minnesota Vikings first-round pick Laquon Treadwell at Crete Monee, finished his Leathernecks career as the school's all-time leader in receptions (273), yards (3,796) and touchdowns (28).

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears/bears-sign-standout-wr-tanner-gentry-13-undrafted-free-agents
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#11 » by City of Trees » Fri May 12, 2017 7:30 am

I like Seales, Whitfield, and Stevenson. Don't know much about the lineman. Gentry 's 4.4 speed has me interested.

Also I saw the Bears are bringing in Steven Taylor, LB from Houston, as a tryout.

https://youtu.be/Q79qRffuNhc

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#12 » by RedBulls23 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Dieugot Joseph could be interesting. He's a OT I think.

Haven't checked his measurements, but he looks like he has long arms.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by fleet » Fri May 12, 2017 7:59 pm

I believe he is a 6'6, 295-300. Has to get thicker, but I read somewhere he should land about 320. He seems to follow the Big Cat Williams path, ex DE conversion.

Good personality:
...I play hard every time. I put it on the line every play, no matter who’s in front of me. It wasn’t really a step up thing. I come with the same mentality every game: I come to beat you.

As I enter the NFL, I think I probably need to continue to try to get a good understanding on offense about what we want to do and how we want to do it. At the end of the day, the mental game is what wins battles. So I think that’s something I need to really dig into and be consistent about.

I chose the Chicago Bears because I knew they drafted a quarterback in the first round – Mitch Trubisky. I also know that they didn’t very many offensive linemen. I know that they need somebody to protect their quarterback, and I thought that it would be a good fit for me and for the program in the long run, even though they might not know it yet.

My message to the Bears fans would be: I hope they’re as excited as I am. I also want Bears fans to know that, with me, your quarterback is in good hands.

http://cover32.com/2017/05/12/exclusive-interview-bears-dieugot-joseph/
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by fleet » Sat May 13, 2017 1:43 pm

I know it is highlights, but the reason this guy didn't get drafted had to be just because he is a drunk
http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/videos/Highlights-Jhajuan-Seales/da62d572-11c8-44d9-b904-f0f70a6bf783
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#15 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:30 pm

fleet wrote:I know it is highlights, but the reason this guy didn't get drafted had to be just because he is a drunk
http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/videos/Highlights-Jhajuan-Seales/da62d572-11c8-44d9-b904-f0f70a6bf783

Man. Kid looks unreal. His athleticism just jumps out at you. On paper he's a freak too. sub 4.4 40, 41 inch vert. His hands looks terrific and I like the way he runs routes. Could be a steal. Get him on the Wagon and we might have something special.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#16 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Pace clearly going after raw athletes with high upside. Taking chances on some guys with off field issues too. He did much of the same in NOLA. Love the strategy.... a lot.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#17 » by Susan » Sun May 14, 2017 3:27 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
fleet wrote:I know it is highlights, but the reason this guy didn't get drafted had to be just because he is a drunk

Man. Kid looks unreal. His athleticism just jumps out at you. On paper he's a freak too. sub 4.4 40, 41 inch vert. His hands looks terrific and I like the way he runs routes. Could be a steal. Get him on the Wagon and we might have something special.

Reminds me of TO. Big, athletic and just seems to be a big time football player (based off of these highlights).

It's exciting to think that Pace really understands the offensive side of the football. For how long did we deal with Angelo not having a clue about that side of the game and dealing with the complete inability to attract and develop talent?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#18 » by RedBulls23 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:21 am

Susan wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

Reminds me of TO. Big, athletic and just seems to be a big time football player (based off of these highlights).

It's exciting to think that Pace really understands the offensive side of the football. For how long did we deal with Angelo not having a clue about that side of the game and dealing with the complete inability to attract and develop talent?

Important thing is for him to stay sober.

Hopefully he really makes the most of this opportunity.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#19 » by fleet » Mon May 15, 2017 4:46 am

The Bears signed former Wheaton Warrenville South star Titus Davis, who tried out in camp. The Central Michigan alum’s brother, Corey, went fifth overall to the Titans. To make room, they waived former Florida State receiver Levonte Whitfield.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-rb-tarik-big-daddy-cohen-to-doubters-turn-on-the-tape/
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Bears Undrafted Free Agents 

Post#20 » by City of Trees » Mon May 15, 2017 5:40 am

Susan wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

I see Anquan Boldin

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

Return to Chicago Bears