Lakers Confident Of Signing Paul George In 2018

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Lakers Confident Of Signing Paul George In 2018 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 18, 2017 5:10 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers believe they will be in position to sign Paul George during the summer of 2018.

The Lakers have been advised not to give up assets to trade for George ahead of his free agency.

The Indiana Pacers considered trading away George at the deadline. George is believed to prefer to sign with the Lakers if the Pacers do not improve their status as contenders.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,694

Re: Lakers Confident Of Signing Paul George In 2018 

Post#2 » by the_process » Thu May 18, 2017 5:36 pm

I'd be surprised if the Lakers don't give up something for PG so he can get all his money in LA.

Ingram and 28 sounds about right. Indy will hold out as long as possible on that.

On the flip side, Indy is going to want win now players. Very difficult to see how they can get them without moving PG or Turner.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,128

Post#3 » by Edrees » Thu May 18, 2017 5:53 pm

the_process wrote:I'd be surprised if the Lakers don't give up something for PG so he can get all his money in LA.

Ingram and 28 sounds about right. Indy will hold out as long as possible on that.

On the flip side, Indy is going to want win now players. Very difficult to see how they can get them without moving PG or Turner.

Why would Lakers trade Ingram if they can wait til he fits free agency..
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#4 » by tocooks101 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:58 pm

the_process wrote:I'd be surprised if the Lakers don't give up something for PG so he can get all his money in LA.

Indy will not want win now players if they are trading George, it would be more of a full rebuild around whoever they get and Turner.

This article is BS, Larry stated he didn't even think of trading PG at the deadline, he listened to some offers but that is literally his job. It was all rumors. Also, PG wants to go to a contender, LA is arguably the furthest team away from being contenders (aside from Brooklyn) in the NBA. If you think PG is going to sign with a last place team with no lottery pick next year with Deng and Mozgov signed on as big pieces you are dreaming.
eureca20
Junior
And1: 81

Post#5 » by eureca20 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:38 pm

tocooks101 wrote:

Indy will not want win now players if they are trading George, it would be more of a full rebuild around whoever they get and Turner.

This article is BS, Larry stated he didn't even think of trading PG at the deadline, he listened to some offers but that is literally his job. It was all rumors. Also, PG wants to go to a contender, LA is arguably the furthest team away from being contenders (aside from Brooklyn) in the NBA. If you think PG is going to sign with a last place team with no lottery pick next year with Deng and Mozgov signed on as big pieces you are dreaming.

Oh you mean the then Pacers president publicly denied rumors after they got out? What did you expect him to do come out and say yea we tested the market for our star? FYI 90% of what a team executive says is BS.

Obviously everyone knows the Lakers are not good. You may have just heard but Paul George is a LA kid. It would be more about coming home and trying to build something. He would stay in Indy if they became contenders. Otherwise it sounds like he would like to come home. And really Paul wasn't denying it when he was on Jimmy Kimmel and he pressed it on him. It may seem odd but it happens. Look at Lonzo Ball instead of wanting to go #1 and the top seeded Celtics where he can win right away he wants to stay home with the Lakers.

Magic Johnson has been very clear that the Lakers are waiting for the 2018 free agent class. He is well aware that is when Paul George is a free agent. As for Deng and Moz by the 2018 free agency you might see them stretched. Which would have them eating up 10 or 11 mil in cap space combined for 5 seasons but may be enough to sign someone else on top of George. I expect them to either be stretched or one attached to a trade with a young player if they find the right deal.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm keeping Ingram and I'm getting rid off Randle and Russell; he's a poor man's version of James Harden, the hype was fake and he couldn't even do anything.
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#7 » by cw3k » Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Why would PG waste his prime by going from a playoff team to a lottery team? Not to mention the west is super stack.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#8 » by Jody Smokz » Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 pm

That's a good question. You should call him up and ask him. These "rumors" aren't LA fan based either. Woj and Sam Amick has pretty much been saying this since the deadline. Also LA has a very fluid situation. In 2018 they will have young pieces and assets that could be better players or available to move for another top 10-15 player. The NBA landscape can change quickly.

cw3k wrote:Why would PG waste his prime by going from a playoff team to a lottery team? Not to mention the west is super stack.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#9 » by larry14r » Thu May 18, 2017 10:19 pm

[vine][/vine]
MitchB3 wrote:

I'm keeping Ingram and I'm getting rid off Randle and Russell; he's a poor man's version of James Harden, the hype was fake and he couldn't even do anything.

Wait till you deal with Ball's hype also the Pacers want the pick a hell of a lot more than Russell and Randle.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,186

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Who is advising the lakers not to give up picks? Isn't that a form of tampering? I'm not saying it doesn't happen all of the time, but it seems shady.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Thu May 18, 2017 11:09 pm

With the exception of a few posters I recognize here, the rest don't seem to realize this is the same tired game we play every single year with an impending free agent. In George's case he has a 1 more season to play this charade...

It's rinse and repeat, free agent to be has chance to sign deal, free agent goes through entire season debunking stories and giving the same programmed slogan...."I love it here, this is my first option".

Now since free agent to be didn't sign the deal the media goes into speculation mode, linking him to every contending team and breaking down that teams roster of who they have to dump to sign free agent to be.

Then fans act like they know for sure what he will and won't do, like they actually work for that players agency. Nobody in hell but George, his agent and family knows what will end up happening.

But from watching the league as long as I have and seeing the same damn in season/ summer show for years these players usually do what they want to do.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#12 » by DEEP3CL » Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Knrstz wrote:Who is advising the lakers not to give up picks? Isn't that a form of tampering? I'm not saying it doesn't happen all of the time, but it seems shady.
Three things here....

1 NOBODY is advising the Lakers, because like you mentioned that is tampering.

2.This is how the game works, agency's have runners, runners are always in contact with agency players, runners know lots of people in the NBA circles...they know trainers, equipment managers, anybody in the closes inner workings of the team. Also agency runners are the ones who puts out the rumors you see in the media.

3. As long as there is no contact between the player/agent and said rumored team, there is no tampering.

How do you think the Warriors stole KD ? You naive enough to just think Draymond took the credit for "working on him" as he stated several times ?

It's a system to stealing players...it's the easiest theft to get away with in the NBA. Why do you think no team since the T-Wolves have been fined for tampering ? They figured out how to work the system.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
KnicksALLday
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#13 » by KnicksALLday » Fri May 19, 2017 1:54 am

i dont know why paul george would go to a losing team? didnt he say he wanted to play for a championship and that be his only reason to leave... well the pacers are not contending for a chip but they are better than the lakers and even a playoff team... reminds of KD going home to play with the wizards only difference is they were actually a decent team... i see paul george leaving but not for the lakers
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#14 » by dan-man » Fri May 19, 2017 2:04 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Knrstz wrote:Who is advising the lakers not to give up picks? Isn't that a form of tampering? I'm not saying it doesn't happen all of the time, but it seems shady.
Three things here....

1 NOBODY is advising the Lakers, because like you mentioned that is tampering.

2.This is how the game works, agency's have runners, runners are always in contact with agency players, runners know lots of people in the NBA circles...they know trainers, equipment managers, anybody in the closes inner workings of the team. Also agency runners are the ones who puts out the rumors you see in the media.

3. As long as there is no contact between the player/agent and said rumored team, there is no tampering.

How do you think the Warriors stole KD ? You naive enough to just think Draymond took the credit for "working on him" as he stated several times ?

It's a system to stealing players...it's the easiest theft to get away with in the NBA. Why do you think no team since the T-Wolves have been fined for tampering ? They figured out how to work the system.

Yes, tampering... Happens 24/7 :wink:
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#15 » by bj2323 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:14 am

KnicksALLday wrote:i dont know why paul george would go to a losing team? didnt he say he wanted to play for a championship and that be his only reason to leave... well the pacers are not contending for a chip but they are better than the lakers and even a playoff team... reminds of KD going home to play with the wizards only difference is they were actually a decent team... i see paul george leaving but not for the lakers

You know the Lakers are slowly waiting to pull a Spoelstra / Miami Heat type move... I bet they sign PG in free agency, and pull off a trade like getting Anthony Davis and/or John Wall
I likes sports
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#16 » by JellosJigglin » Fri May 19, 2017 5:08 am

KnicksALLday wrote:i dont know why paul george would go to a losing team? didnt he say he wanted to play for a championship and that be his only reason to leave... well the pacers are not contending for a chip but they are better than the lakers and even a playoff team... reminds of KD going home to play with the wizards only difference is they were actually a decent team... i see paul george leaving but not for the lakers

Let's be honest: any team not named Warriors or Cavs are a "losing team".

It's still a year out from PG's free agency. Let's see where the Lakers are at a year from now. They improved this season by 9 games under a new coach and a new system. They'll be adding a #2 pick who might be a perfect fit in their offense and DLo, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson, Zubac and Nance Jr will all be a year older. Conservatively speaking they should improve by at least 5 games (they had some injuries to key players this year). That would put them at 31 wins with an average age of 20.8 years in the starting lineup (assuming Zubac is starting 1 year from now with a Ball/Russell back court). I kind of like that future to be honest. PG13 could come in right away and be the leader of that young squad. Signing another max player to join him isn't out of the question if they stretch Moz/Deng.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#17 » by MitchB3 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:39 pm

larry14r wrote:[vine][/vine]
MitchB3 wrote:

Wait till you deal with Ball's hype also the Pacers want the pick a hell of a lot more than Russell and Randle.

That's why you do a three way team deal with another team that is interested in Russell and Randle, i.e. the Kings.

Return to Wiretap Discussion