Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2016-2017 

Post#521 » by Rauxcee » Sat May 20, 2017 2:34 am

stitches wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:
stitches wrote:I'm not gonna lie... I'm having a severe case of schadenfreude.

This is helping the Jazz out so much. Boston is going to have to make a move now if they want Hayward. Jazz were missing Hill, and Gobert, Favors, and Hood were all injured and they were much more competitive then Boston. If it's a decision about which team is more capable of competing between the two, easy decision to make.

I've been saying this since... forever. People don't get that those cute midget PGs don't work against the best teams in the playoffs. I'm kind of shocked they even got this far. They were about to go out against the freaking Bulls and an injury to Rondo of all people saved them and then needed Kelly Olynyk's game of his career to beat the Wizards.

I firmly believe that Bulls take that series had Rondo not got injured. The thing is, Boston needs an interior presence badly, and I don't think Butler or George (or Hayward) help that. Although they still make Boston a better team.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#522 » by KqWIN » Sat May 20, 2017 2:49 am

Jazz Dog wrote:I keep finding it interesting that one of the arguments for Hayward leaving is an easier path to being an All-Star. I guess Lebron, "the Alphabet", Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Joel Embiid, Kristaps Portingis, Paul Milsap and Kevin Love are all moving to the western conference. His numbers go down in Boston with IT running the point and his all star chances also diminish in the east. If he wants to continue a upward projectory, he stays in Utah.

The all star argument is completely sound. It is so much easier to make it in the East because the East is so much worse. Those are great players, but think about the guys in the West that didn't even make it. Paul, Gobert, Lillard, McCollum, Towns, Jokic, and Conley were left off. Carmelo was an all star for the East!
Jazz Dog
Jazz Forum GTS Commissioner
And1: 264

Post#523 » by Jazz Dog » Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 am

I think there are better forwards in the east than in the west. Hayward has a better chance with the Jazz to be an all-star because he is the focus of the team and i still think his offensive numbers are better with UTAH than Boston. He will never be better in the West than Leonard or Durant. That puts him in the discussion as the third best forward in the West. While in the East he might be in the discussion for fifth or sixth best forward. The west definitely has the eastern conference number concerning Guards and Centers. The best 6-7 Centers are in the West and the best 4-5 guards are in the west.

Centers--Davis, Gobert, Gasol, Jordan, Kats, Nokic and Cousins.
Guards- Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Paul, Lillard and Thompson.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#524 » by Crunch 99 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:58 am

Kenny and Chuck are calling this game the Harlem Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals. :lol: Hayward doesn't want to play for the Washington Generals, does he?
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#525 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 20, 2017 4:00 am

Crunch 99 wrote:Kenny and Chuck are calling this game the Harlem Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals. :lol: Hayward doesn't want to play for the Washington Generals does he?

IT gave up or got owned, either way the Jazz are looking In a good position especially with all the awards Gobert is up for.
Ingles is cooked.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#526 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:48 am

Celtics aren't even close to competing with the Cavs, even with a healthy IT. I've never seen a team in the playoffs get so completely outplayed. I don't even remember the Bulls beatdown of the Jazz feeling THAT bad.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#527 » by KqWIN » Sat May 20, 2017 4:50 am

Jazz Dog wrote:I think there are better forwards in the east than in the west. Hayward has a better chance with the Jazz to be an all-star because he is the focus of the team and i still think his offensive numbers are better with UTAH than Boston. He will never be better in the West than Leonard or Durant. That puts him in the discussion as the third best forward in the West. While in the East he might be in the discussion for fifth or sixth best forward. The west definitely has the eastern conference number concerning Guards and Centers. The best 6-7 Centers are in the West and the best 4-5 guards are in the west.

Centers--Davis, Gobert, Gasol, Jordan, Kats, Nokic and Cousins.
Guards- Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Paul, Lillard and Thompson.

You do realize that the all star team is 3 frontcourt players right? LeBron and Giannis are at another level than Hayward in the east. Who else is there that Hayward can't compete with? And why are they any less competition than all of those centers and Draymond? I can't believe this is even an argument, it's not even close. The west is harder for any position.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#528 » by Daddy 801 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:31 am

stitches wrote:I'm not gonna lie... I'm having a severe case of schadenfreude.

Apologies to Daddy 801.

No reason to be sorry. I've been fully baptized in my Jazzdom fandom. The Celts may be one of my other teams. But as long as they pose a threat to take Hayward I want them to lose. As soon as Hayward signs with the Jazz I'll go back to rooting for them.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#529 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 21, 2017 8:41 am

https://www.altitudeinsole.com

Found a good product for IT.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Post#530 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon May 22, 2017 2:36 pm

With all the theorizing about the Celitics' chances to get Hayward, what does last night mean? Are they looking like a better destination now that they were able to beat the Cavs on the road without IT?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#531 » by stitches » Mon May 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:With all the theorizing about the Celitics' chances to get Hayward, what does last night mean? Are they looking like a better destination now that they were able to beat the Cavs on the road without IT?

Not really. If they are relying on Marcus Smart to shoot 7/10 from 3 and on Lebron to go 4/13... they are not going to go very far.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#532 » by AingesBurner » Mon May 22, 2017 3:30 pm

So they beat LBJ on a bad night, still not enough to convince me they are a Hayward away from a ring. The other question is their bench, can they retain Bradley, IT, etc? They wasted money on Horford and may max IT.
Ingles is cooked.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant

Post#533 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:With all the theorizing about the Celitics' chances to get Hayward, what does last night mean? Are they looking like a better destination now that they were able to beat the Cavs on the road without IT?

It certainly doesn't hurt, but I don't think it helps either.

It was a fluke of a game. Impressive? Sure, but still a fluke. That was arguably LeBron's worst performance since.... ever? And Smart had the game of a lifetime while Jerebko, who never see's the floor, came in and hit some huge shots.

I mean, ideally, the Cavs would've crushed them in a 4 game series but again, I just don't think it helps the Celtics all that much in a meeting with Hayward. I mean, maybe it does hurt? Maybe it shows that the Celtics could be better without Thomas? Does Hayward want to go to a team that could potentially trade their best player?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#534 » by AingesBurner » Mon May 22, 2017 6:11 pm

If the NBA wants true parity then they need to get rid of the 3 point shot, the best way to neuter teams like the Warriors is to get rid of it, it brings back competitiveness.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Post#535 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 pm

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:I mean, ideally, the Cavs would've crushed them in a 4 game series but again, I just don't think it helps the Celtics all that much in a meeting with Hayward. I mean, maybe it does hurt? Maybe it shows that the Celtics could be better without Thomas? Does Hayward want to go to a team that could potentially trade their best player?

I personally don't have an opinion on the matter, but I remember some folks thought it might help to draw Hayward if the Celtics steal some games. If the game shows they could be better without IT, I'd consider it a plus, since he's on a very good contract (he'll make 6M next season-his last) and can fetch a good return via trade to help the Celtics upgrade another position.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant

Post#536 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Great to see Zanick get the GM position in Milwaukee.

Going to be mad every time they make a move that I wish the Jazz would've. But happy for the guy.
Denizfeital
Starter
And1: 198

Post#537 » by Denizfeital » Fri May 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Cleveland on the Finals again. I am rooting for them, as usual.

I am kind of happy for Deron Williams to get there as well.

Are you rooting for Lebron? What about Deron Williams?

Regards,
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#538 » by Crunch 99 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Denizfeital wrote:Cleveland on the Finals again. I am rooting for them, as usual.

I am kind of happy for Deron Williams to get there as well.

Are you rooting for Lebron? What about Deron Williams?

Regards,

Yes, I am rooting for Cleveland and Lebron, while rooting against Kevin Durant. I want to see D-Will do well to help the Cavs win, and in addition, I am rooting for D-Will to do well so we have another attractive option in the event that we don't sign Hill or Teodisic. But 538.com has the Warriors as 90-10 favorites to win the title. :o

D-Will is having a decent playoff. I read that he slimmed down since coming to the Cavs, something that I have been arguing that D-Will needed to do for many years. Apparently using Lebron's favorite workout machine, the VersaClimber, helped D-Will drop some weight:

This is how LeBron James and the Cavs (and Lady Gaga) stay in shape
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19389249/nba-cavs-favor-machine-training-edge
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#539 » by Crunch 99 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Nice article on Tristan Thompson by Zach Lowe below. Some commentators are citing him as a potential x factor in the upcoming NBA Finals, for his defense, rebounding and screening, along with a few timely high percentage shots. Thompson is a player who plays his role on the team very well.

Tristan Thompson is an enormous 'problem' for Cavs opponents
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/19491943/zach-lowe-cleveland-cavaliers-tristan-thompson-becoming-elite-role-player-nba
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#540 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:37 pm

Well Tristan Thompson certainly didn't look like much an X Factor in game one; he looked like more like a Xed Out Factor. The Warriors outscored the Cavs 56-30 in the paint.

Return to Utah Jazz