Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,385

SOUL's 2017 Draft 

Post#1 » by SOUL » Fri May 19, 2017 3:17 pm

http://thedoublescreen.com/words/2017/5/16/2017-to-kill-a-mock-draft

It's not a completely serious mock draft, less concerned about accuracy and more on interesting scenarios, with some interesting trade proposals, NSFW humor and a lot of gifs/reading.

Enjoy!
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Re: SOUL's 2017 Draft 

Post#2 » by Kings2013 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:52 am

Enjoyable and entertaining mock. Many Kings fans are high on Fox and our coach appears to be, so being picked at 5 is something that can foresee. Might quibble with the 10 trade, as we still like Malachi, more than Zipser. But if there are no fits with the 10 pick I can indeed see it being traded down for a haul that can start a few spots back.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#3 » by SOUL » Sat May 20, 2017 4:11 am

Kings2013 wrote:Enjoyable and entertaining mock. Many Kings fans are high on Fox and our coach appears to be, so being picked at 5 is something that can foresee. Might quibble with the 10 trade, as we still like Malachi, more than Zipser. But if there are no fits with the 10 pick I can see it being traded down for a haul that can start a few spots back. Close to what I might expect

Thanks! I originally had Galloway there instead of Malachi, but thought the value wasn't great for the Bulls. Malachi might be a little too much, depending on his future... so truth be told they probably aren't the most ideal trade partners.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Reminds me much like your mock last year.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#5 » by SOUL » Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Reminds me much like your mock last year.

Which, ironically, you had a problem with when your team had a pretty similar draft.

Early round shooter (Murray) vs (Buddy, since I had Murray going before him)

Foreign big man with interesting potential and some very productive stints but still had 15 mpg or less on their teams (Maker / Hernangomez). Also you said most see Maker as a 2nd rounder when he went 10th last year. Teams are really going for these players that they think have crazy potential even if it doesn't work out in the end.

Guards that didn't get much time for their team (Malik Beasley and Demetrius Jackson), one being a SG and the other a PG.

Also you'd have the 31st pick in this draft in my mock, which I think has way better value than Petr Cornelie.

That's what I'm trying to capture when I do these mocks.. I'm not trying to say the value of what the Nuggets receive in mine should be what they get in person, they can probably get more out of that and tweak the trade a bit.

But I think they'd benefit the most from an extra pick which would be a stash, along with somebody they can let play with no real expectation but still have in the rotation instead of somebody that will need to either come off of the bench for very little minutes or push aside some guys that still have really good potential / give them less minutes and not know what they really have.

I do get what you said last year, that the Nuggets aren't a premiere free agent destination and that you have to draft talent and not worry about being too picky about need, but you have to admit your team is in a way different state than last year. I'm a huge fan of a team that tried to appease too many players and ended up mismanaging them entirely, so I'd like the Nuggets to really build correctly.
skywalker33

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:32 pm

SOUL wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Reminds me much like your mock last year.

Which, ironically, you had a problem with when your team had a pretty similar draft.

Early round shooter (Murray) vs (Buddy, since I had Murray going before him)

Foreign big man with interesting potential and some very productive stints but still had 15 mpg or less on their teams (Maker / Hernangomez). Also you said most see Maker as a 2nd rounder when he went 10th last year. Teams are really going for these players that they think have crazy potential even if it doesn't work out in the end.

Guards that didn't get much time for their team (Malik Beasley and Demetrius Jackson), one being a SG and the other a PG.

Also you'd have the 31st pick in this draft in my mock, which I think has way better value than Petr Cornelie.

That's what I'm trying to capture when I do these mocks.. I'm not trying to say the value of what the Nuggets receive in mine should be what they get in person, they can probably get more out of that and tweak the trade a bit.

But I think they'd benefit the most from an extra pick which would be a stash, along with somebody they can let play with no real expectation but still have in the rotation instead of somebody that will need to either come off of the bench for very little minutes or push aside some guys that still have really good potential / give them less minutes and not know what they really have.

I do get what you said last year, that the Nuggets aren't a premiere free agent destination and that you have to draft talent and not worry about being too picky about need, but you have to admit your team is in a way different state than last year. I'm a huge fan of a team that tried to appease too many players and ended up mismanaging them entirely, so I'd like the Nuggets to really build correctly.

De je vu all over again. How would your Nuggets trade enhance Denver? Do you feel we're in need of more youth, perhaps more depth ?? And when a quality big like Collins falls you want to send him to a divisional rival for two lesser picks and a 2nd ??? And that 30th pick is an over-guaranteed 2nd so a late 1st and two seconds...I think that's some of the worst trade value I've seen ina while. Heck, two years ago we got 16 and 19 for 11, that future 2nd isn't going to make up that difference IMO

But it's your mock, kudos to having nuts enough to put it out there

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#7 » by SOUL » Sat May 20, 2017 11:45 pm

skywalker33 wrote:De je vu all over again. How would your Nuggets trade enhance Denver? Do you feel we're in need of more youth, perhaps more depth ?? And when a quality big like Collins falls you want to send him to a divisional rival for two lesser picks and a 2nd ??? And that 30th pick is an over-guaranteed 2nd so a late 1st and two seconds...I think that's some of the worst trade value I've seen ina while. Heck, two years ago we got 16 and 19 for 11, that future 2nd isn't going to make up that difference IMO

Value wise I'm not going to argue, I don't think the Jazz are the best trade partners which is why it's tough to gauge trade value, but I do think the Jazz have incentive to package up and take a pick in that range, and I do think the Nuggets should trade down, getting more in return than I managed to scrounge up.

The issue is that I think you guys have too much youth and depth already, but it needs an identity. You started to find it a bit last year with Jokic and almost made the playoffs because of it. And sometimes less is more, the "less" can be converting picks into stashes like the Spurs have done and bringing those players over when the timing is way better.

The only other option I saw was you guys taking some of those players you think highly of + Faried or Chandler or whoever and trading up, or packaging it for a star, which is also tough because you never really want to give up on young players who have so much to prove still, but maybe Denver fans are more open to it than I thought.

So again, my mock, value aside, is the essence of what I see as what they should be doing this draft, of course with more value added. A high potential stashed player + guard depth since Jameer will be done soon, Mudiay may never work out, and the fact that I think Jamal is still best at SG.

But thanks, I enjoy discussing these things so I'm not taking it personal. :wink:
skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:36 am

SOUL wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:De je vu all over again. How would your Nuggets trade enhance Denver? Do you feel we're in need of more youth, perhaps more depth ?? And when a quality big like Collins falls you want to send him to a divisional rival for two lesser picks and a 2nd ??? And that 30th pick is an over-guaranteed 2nd so a late 1st and two seconds...I think that's some of the worst trade value I've seen ina while. Heck, two years ago we got 16 and 19 for 11, that future 2nd isn't going to make up that difference IMO

Value wise I'm not going to argue, I don't think the Jazz are the best trade partners which is why it's tough to gauge trade value, but I do think the Jazz have incentive to package up and take a pick in that range, and I do think the Nuggets should trade down, getting more in return than I managed to scrounge up.

The issue is that I think you guys have too much youth and depth already, but it needs an identity. You started to find it a bit last year with Jokic and almost made the playoffs because of it. And sometimes less is more, the "less" can be converting picks into stashes like the Spurs have done and bringing those players over when the timing is way better.

The only other option I saw was you guys taking some of those players you think highly of + Faried or Chandler or whoever and trading up, or packaging it for a star, which is also tough because you never really want to give up on young players who have so much to prove still, but maybe Denver fans are more open to it than I thought.

So again, my mock, value aside, is the essence of what I see as what they should be doing this draft, of course with more value added. A high potential stashed player + guard depth since Jameer will be done soon, Mudiay may never work out, and the fact that I think Jamal is still best at SG.

But thanks, I enjoy discussing these things so I'm not taking it personal. :wink:

No it is I who should thank you for teaching me not all views are like mine but that doesn't make them wrong, a valuable lesson around here :clown:

Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#9 » by Alonzo_Morning » Tue May 23, 2017 11:51 am

Most entertaining mock I've ever read
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Post#10 » by Mr B » Sun May 28, 2017 5:14 pm

SOUL wrote:http://thedoublescreen.com/words/2017/5/16/2017-to-kill-a-mock-draft

It's not a completely serious mock draft, less concerned about accuracy and more on interesting scenarios, with some interesting trade proposals, NSFW humor and a lot of gifs/reading.

Enjoy!

Mavs have a desperate need for a PG. they have been heavily scouting PG's all throughout the draft process. If Ntilikina is there at 9 no way they pass in him for Markkanen.

Return to Mock Drafts