Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#701 » by HotrodBeaubois » Fri May 19, 2017 10:43 pm

Black Falcon wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:I don't think Diallo ever sees the court next season. He's an athlete. He's a long ways away from being ready. The kid can't shoot. He's below average with his handles. He's a runner and a jumper. I see him as a shorter poor mans Justin Anderson at this point. If we draft him, there's zero chance he starts this season. The kid needs a lot of work but definitely has the athletic ability to become a good one

I never mentioned him starting this year

Oh, ok. Figured he was starting considering every other player you listed is most likely a starter and you mentioned curry transitioning to the bench, while he only has one year left on his contract.

What do you see in Diallos game, other than athleticism, that makes him worthy of trading up to get him in the 1st rd? I don't see it.

I said by the time Diallo is ready to start it would be about time for Curry to transition to the bench .

As for why Diallo . If we can get a 18-20 Pick he has tremendous upside . If he goes back to Kentucky he's probably A Top 5-10 Pick next year so what's not to like about a Top 5-10 player that cost a 18-20 Pick . He could be a total bust or he could. E a total superstar Dallas needs a move like this where at Minimum they get a pretty good player for the next 4 years and ceiling is a absolute stud
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft #9 

Post#702 » by Teffer10 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:15 pm

What are some teams that have a crappy contract they would like to unload along with a pick?
We've talked about Portland (Turner) but who are some others?
Mihimni's contract is brutal but I don't think Wizards have a pick.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#703 » by Mr B » Fri May 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Teffer10 wrote:What are some teams that have a crappy contract they would like to unload along with a pick?

Lakers with Mozgov and Deng.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#704 » by JamesConway » Sat May 20, 2017 9:21 am

Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:What are some teams that have a crappy contract they would like to unload along with a pick?

Lakers with Mozgov and Deng.

Utah also comes to mind. They have four picks (two 1sts) in this draft and are paying Alec Burks $10+M to play 35+ games every year. I doubt that they intend to keep that many roster spots open for rooks with Hayward being in his prime and wanting to contend. That might be another opening.
Yennefer
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#705 » by Yennefer » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 am

agentofatlas wrote:I agree. DSJ is probably the best case scenario for the Mavs at this point. His skill set just matches the Mavs. Unfortunately, I think the knicks like him as well. Plus I think our FO is dead set on Frank Ntikilina.

Ntikilina is way better than Dennis Smith. Americans playing bad competition kids on a terrible team and dont even manage to put up great stats is no good sign.

I'd take a International like Ntikilina or Markannen every any American in that range.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#706 » by Mr B » Sat May 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Yennefer wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:I agree. DSJ is probably the best case scenario for the Mavs at this point. His skill set just matches the Mavs. Unfortunately, I think the knicks like him as well. Plus I think our FO is dead set on Frank Ntikilina.

Ntikilina is way better than Dennis Smith. Americans playing bad competition kids on a terrible team and dont even manage to put up great stats is no good sign.

I'd take a International like Ntikilina or Markannen every any American in that range.

Ntilikina and Markkanen haven't exactly been playing against elite level competition either. Markkanen has actually been playing against the same level comp as Dennis Smith Jr.
Yennefer
Ballboy

Post#707 » by Yennefer » Sun May 21, 2017 7:55 am

Mr B wrote:
Yennefer wrote:

Ntilikina and Markkanen haven't exactly been playing against elite level competition either. Markkanen has actually been playing against the same level comp as Dennis Smith Jr.

Ntilikina plays against grown Men while Smith and most other Americans play against mediocre Kids!
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#708 » by agentofatlas » Sun May 21, 2017 8:07 am

Yennefer wrote:

I don't know that frank is "way better" than DSJ and that really is the root of my problem with him. I mean his best attribute coming out is his defense or st least his defensive potential. Well if the Mavs are gonna swing that way why not go for a multiple position defensive forward like Isaac or OG? Or if a guard why not mitchel who has the same defensive tools as well?

With DSJ, I know his strengths and weaknesses. I know from a style standpoint, his skill set matches what the Mavs like to do with their point guards on offense which is spread pick and roll.

I'm not gonna be upset if we get Frank. He has some intriguing tools and I trust both our scouting and coaching staff. I just like the other options in that range.

Anyways man help me out, what makes him "way better" than DSJ and the other players in that range?
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#709 » by Suka Bongcic » Sun May 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Landing Dennis Smith at #9 is a pipe dream imo. I don't see any way he falls to us. Philly and Phoenix are the wild cards in the draft. Philly had stated that Ben Simmons would play the point for them for them last year. If that's still their plans they could go Tatum or Jackson at 3. Phoenix has Bledsoe, but is he in their future plans? Jackson or Tatum seem to be perfect fits if they value Bledsoe. Or they could take fox (if he's still on the board) and pair him and booker in the backcourt. They could be special together. My belief is, if philly and Phoenix jumps on Tatum and Jackson, there's a slight chance we can land ntilikina, smith is too explosive for the nyks to pass on, if he somehow falls to them (which is doubtful imo) Orlando, NY and Sacramento all need PGs imo.

After the top 5 is finished, Fultz, Ball, Fox, Tatum and Jackson will all be off the board, unless one of these teams is really that stupid. That leaves Isaac, Smith, Ntilikina, Monk, Collins and Markkanan. Orlando, Minnesota and NY picking ahead of us. Orlando moved Payton to the bench for half of last season. When they started him towards the end of the year, he played better. They are the wild card 6-8 imo. They have hezonjia and Fournier at the 2. Not much at the 3 unless They think Gordon could make the transition. Personally, I'd take Smith if I was them, but they could opt for Isaac as he's such an intriguing talent. For a man with his height and length, he's an extremely good shooter and has the handles to get an open look, he just needs to get much stronger. Minnesota drafted Dunn last year so I don't think they go the PG route again. They only have one good shooter in LaVine. If the magic take Isaac, they could go Monk imo, but if Isaacs on the board, I think he's the pick there, with Markkanan as a wild card (although unlikely due to his limited defensive prowess). The wolves need 3 point shooters. The NYKS will take a Pg. I don't think there's any question. Ntilikina fits the triangle, while Smith is the better player. They will take one of them imo. So the biggest pick in the draft will be Orlando. If they choose to bypass a PG, then we have an outside shot at landing Smith (if the nyks prefer ntilikina over him). That being said, if philly or the suns take Fox, then smith has a good chance to bypass Tatum or Jackson in the top 5 and be the pick in Sacramento.

In summary, there's a very slim chance Dennis Smith Jr will be on the board when the Mavs pick. So slim, that no one here should even have hope that he falls. It's just THAT unlikely. Collins or Monk at 9 if ntilikina is off the board is my prediction. Please say no to markkanan. He's not that good
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#710 » by agentofatlas » Sun May 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Black Falcon wrote:Landing Dennis Smith at #9 is a pipe dream imo. I don't see any way he falls to us. Philly and Phoenix are the wild cards in the draft. Philly had stated that Ben Simmons would play the point for them for them last year. If that's still their plans they could go Tatum or Jackson at 3. Phoenix has Bledsoe, but is he in their future plans? Jackson or Tatum seem to be perfect fits if they value Bledsoe. Or they could take fox (if he's still on the board) and pair him and booker in the backcourt. They could be special together. My belief is, if philly and Phoenix jumps on Tatum and Jackson, there's a slight chance we can land ntilikina, smith is too explosive for the nyks to pass on, if he somehow falls to them (which is doubtful imo) Orlando, NY and Sacramento all need PGs imo.

After the top 5 is finished, Fultz, Ball, Fox, Tatum and Jackson will all be off the board, unless one of these teams is really that stupid. That leaves Isaac, Smith, Ntilikina, Monk, Collins and Markkanan. Orlando, Minnesota and NY picking ahead of us. Orlando moved Payton to the bench for half of last season. When they started him towards the end of the year, he played better. They are the wild card 6-8 imo. They have hezonjia and Fournier at the 2. Not much at the 3 unless They think Gordon could make the transition. Personally, I'd take Smith if I was them, but they could opt for Isaac as he's such an intriguing talent. For a man with his height and length, he's an extremely good shooter and has the handles to get an open look, he just needs to get much stronger. Minnesota drafted Dunn last year so I don't think they go the PG route again. They only have one good shooter in LaVine. If the magic take Isaac, they could go Monk imo, but if Isaacs on the board, I think he's the pick there, with Markkanan as a wild card (although unlikely due to his limited defensive prowess). The wolves need 3 point shooters. The NYKS will take a Pg. I don't think there's any question. Ntilikina fits the triangle, while Smith is the better player. They will take one of them imo. So the biggest pick in the draft will be Orlando. If they choose to bypass a PG, then we have an outside shot at landing Smith (if the nyks prefer ntilikina over him). That being said, if philly or the suns take Fox, then smith has a good chance to bypass Tatum or Jackson in the top 5 and be the pick in Sacramento.

In summary, there's a very slim chance Dennis Smith Jr will be on the board when the Mavs pick. So slim, that no one here should even have hope that he falls. It's just THAT unlikely. Collins or Monk at 9 if ntilikina is off the board is my prediction. Please say no to markkanan. He's not that good

Actually I'm starting to think this as well. I think at the least NYK takes DSJ. Those guys are very good at drafting players and workout settings really highlight the strengths of DSJ.

Collins or Monk can be good. Like them more than Frank. My personal board for that range is:
1. DSJ
2. Isaac
3. Monk
4. Collins
5. OG
6. Mitchell
7. Ntilikina
Mr B
RealGM

Post#711 » by Mr B » Sun May 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Yennefer wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Yennefer wrote:

Ntilikina plays against grown Men while Smith and most other Americans play against mediocre Kids!

Yea but playing against mediocre grown men isn't a huge step up from playing against mediocre young men. Ntilikina also isn't exactly logging huge minutes and dominating the league he's in.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ntilikina but don't act like he's dominating against NBA level talent while DSJ is playing against a bunch middle school kids. The Mavs would be lucky to get either one.
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#712 » by Suka Bongcic » Mon May 22, 2017 3:01 am

Yennefer wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Yennefer wrote:

And how many of those guys overseas that play against grown men turn out to be superstars? You can count then on both hands. How many guys that went to college have turned out to be superstars? Many more than 10 fingers.

Why not take ntilikina over Fultz, Ball or Fox? Nkilitina played againt men. Fultz, Ball and Fox played against bad competition. 18.2 6.2 assists 4.6 rebs 1.8 stealsisn't great stats?
Yennefer
Ballboy

Post#713 » by Yennefer » Mon May 22, 2017 8:48 pm

If you play against mediocre Kids like most Americans you need to absolutely dominate them. Smith did not do that... if he can't even dominate the Game against Kids in School I doubt he can do anyting in the NBA.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#714 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 23, 2017 2:12 am

Yennefer wrote:If you play against mediocre Kids like most Americans you need to absolutely dominate them. Smith did not do that... if he can't even dominate the Game against Kids in School I doubt he can do anyting in the NBA.

I'm all for you liking whatever prospect you want. But the bit about insulting American college players has run its course. Have something else to add please.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#715 » by Mr B » Tue May 23, 2017 2:41 am

I still thought no either would be a great draft pick for the Mavs, I just prefer Smith.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#716 » by MotownMadness » Tue May 23, 2017 5:15 am

I'm actually seeing a possibility of you guys missing out on one of the PGs unfortunately. With that said Pistons have had a lot of picks in that 7-9 area and someone always drops. But let's say the draft goes like this

Fultz- Celtics
Ball- Lakers
Jackson- Philly
Tatum- Suns
Fox- Kings
DSJ- Magic ( heard they are high on him)
Isaac- Wolves
Ntilikina- Knicks ( just seems to be strong interest)

That leaves Monk, Markanen, Collins as most probable choices. Who do you think Cuban takes out of that group? Personally I really like Markanen for you guys. Just a absolute sniper as a 7 footer. And seems like a good fit next to Noel. If I'm not mistaken he's legit the best 3 point shooting 7 footer in NCAA history.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#717 » by daoneandonly » Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I'm actually seeing a possibility of you guys missing out on one of the PGs unfortunately. With that said Pistons have had a lot of picks in that 7-9 area and someone always drops. But let's say the draft goes like this

Fultz- Celtics
Ball- Lakers
Jackson- Philly
Tatum- Suns
Fox- Kings
Isaac- Wolves

That leaves Monk, Markanen, Collins as most probable choices. Who do you think Cuban takes out of that group? Personally I really like Markanen for you guys. Just a absolute sniper as a 7 footer. And seems like a good fit next to Noel. If I'm not mistaken he's legit the best 3 point shooting 7 footer in NCAA history.

Would be a worst case scenario in which case we should explore trading down if any of the next teams down are really high on Markkanan or Monk. I'd rather not have either as Monk to me is too undersized and we've been there done that (still are with Curry), and Lauri at his best is Channing Frye, which is not what we'd like to spend a top 10 pick on. I'll have to respectfully disagree that he'd be a good fit with Noel as well. I love Noel, but that duo will get punished and pushed around as neither one has much strength and bulk, and in Lauri's case, not a lick of D as well.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#718 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 23, 2017 2:13 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I'm actually seeing a possibility of you guys missing out on one of the PGs unfortunately. With that said Pistons have had a lot of picks in that 7-9 area and someone always drops. But let's say the draft goes like this

Fultz- Celtics
Ball- Lakers
Jackson- Philly
Tatum- Suns
Fox- Kings
Isaac- Wolves

I'd go with Monk in that scenario. I'm just not a believer of Markkanen, even though I could see him being a decent NBA player eventually. Monk reminds me of Klay Thompson and that's someone you just don't pass up at 9 if he's there. That being said, I think Orlando picks Isaac and moves Gordon to SF
FIRE JASON KIDD
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#719 » by Suka Bongcic » Tue May 23, 2017 7:23 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Fultz- Celtics
Ball- Lakers
Jackson- Philly
Tatum- Suns
Fox- Kings
Isaac- Wolves

Except Monk can't defend. Maybe with some added strength he can become a solid defender but as of now, hes below average defensively. Kalyn has always been a good defender. Monk is also 4 inches shorter. He's an undersized 2

I'd go with Monk in that scenario. I'm just not a believer of Markkanen, even though I could see him being a decent NBA player eventually. Monk reminds me of Klay Thompson and that's someone you just don't pass up at 9 if he's there. That being said, I think Orlando picks Isaac and moves Gordon to SF
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#720 » by Pinkyring » Wed May 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Fultz- Celtics
Ball- Lakers
Jackson- Philly
Tatum- Suns
Fox- Kings
Isaac- Wolves

Monk is really the lynchpin of the top 10, that said, if he's left at 9 i take him, i think he's a better jason terry so if im getting a borderline all star at 9 i take it no doubt. There's no guarantee any of these guys are going to be stars

Return to Dallas Mavericks