Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Is LeBron a good role model for kids to look up to

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 266

Vibranium
Rookie
And1: 1,938

Re: Do you consider LeBron James a good role model? 

Post#141 » by Vibranium » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 am

Prokorov wrote:
Prince187 wrote:LeBron is one of the most widely known role models in the country. And I think he takes that very seriously. But do you think he's a good role model? Would you want your kids looking up to him?

if i wanted my kid to be a complete narcissist then yeah he would be a great role model

Yeah your kids should look up to the Brooklyn Nets players. They have admirable qualities and they will learn to never give up no matter how bad the situation is.
Read on Twitter
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#142 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:51 am

VYoungJrIII wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Prince187 wrote:LeBron is one of the most widely known role models in the country. And I think he takes that very seriously. But do you think he's a good role model? Would you want your kids looking up to him?

if i wanted my kid to be a complete narcissist then yeah he would be a great role model

Yeah your kids should look up to the Brooklyn Nets players. They have admirable qualities and they will learn to never give up no matter how bad the situation is.

i agree.
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,799

Post#143 » by infintybeyond » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:38 am

All philanthropy aside. I'm sure there are plenty of athletes that give back. He's great at that side.

As far as being a professional athlete, I don't think he's a good role model. He's the face of the league, but some of his media answers are just horrible like his response after losing to Dirk Diggler. He's just not well spoken or professional and doesn't handle it with class. He does a lot of unsportsmanlike stuff and is an egomaniac. Plus, he has the media to cover up any of his antics and spin it into a positive(The Decision, Coming Home). He's just as protected as Jordan.

I think Steph, Kyrie, Timmy, Pau are far better role models. they handle the media professionally and with class. They are consummate professionals.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#144 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:57 am

athletes whom i respect as role models are very very few and far between

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

a few others. Lebron is not one of them
Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect
And1: 268

Post#145 » by Bottomsouth » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:14 am

Is he a bad person, no but he isn't a good role model either.
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,960

Post#146 » by miamiheat319 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:18 am

lobosloboslobos wrote:athletes whom i respect as role models are very very few and far between

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

You respect a guy who refused to fight for his country and freedom, but not a guy who's worst professional move was broadcasting his free agency decision?
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#147 » by Joseph17 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:31 am

No, I don't consider him a good role model at all. I don't even want to go into details about why I don't like Lebron personality wise because I have too many things that I could list. That being said, I consider him a good role model compared to most of the other celebrities. That's not saying much though. As far as good role models in the NBA, Tim Duncan would probably be on the top of my list. If I can't pick him because he retired, I would say Kawhi Leonard.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Post#148 » by OdomFan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:02 am

miamiheat319 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:athletes whom i respect as role models are very very few and far between

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

You respect a guy who refused to fight for his country and freedom, but not a guy who's worst professional move was broadcasting his free agency decision?

War is stupid and I'm glad Ali wanted no part of it.
Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect

Post#149 » by Bottomsouth » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:19 am

OdomFan wrote:
miamiheat319 wrote:

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

War is stupid and I'm glad Ali wanted no part of it.

Must be nice to have that luxury.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#150 » by The4thHorseman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:19 am

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

Really?

He's one of the dirtiest players in the NHL. They don't call him "slewban' for nothing.

MTL got tired of his BS and got rid of him.
richo65
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#151 » by richo65 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:20 am

miamiheat319 wrote:

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

Ali stood up.for his principles against what he believed to be an unjust war. He did this knowing he would lose his boxing titles and be hugely unpopular with much of the general public. That is one of the most admirable things someone can do. It takes real character to stand up for what you believe is right and not follow the herd.
richo65
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#152 » by richo65 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:33 am

Lebron has many admirable qualities for which he deserves respect. His work ethic, his giving back to the community, his love for his family and just generally good overall behavior (given how many public figures can't even attain a minimum level of decent behavior). I honestly think Lebron is a really good, likable guy off the court. However, my big gripe with Lebron as a role model is his incessant whining on the court when things don't go his way. He is already so over protected by refs as it is. His incessant pushing off on his drives is rarely called and if opponents so much as breathe on him they are called for a foul. How much more does the man want? I can't recall any other star who whines as much as Lebron. This is not a model for good sportsmanship to me. I won't even go into the team hopping to win championships (though returning to Cleveland did make me respect him more).
Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect

Post#153 » by Bottomsouth » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:08 pm

richo65 wrote:
miamiheat319 wrote:

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

Ali stood up.for his principles against what he believed to be an unjust war. He did this knowing he would lose his boxing titles and be hugely unpopular with much of the general public. That is one of the most admirable things someone can do. It takes real character to stand up for what you believe is right and not follow the herd.

Admirable? Follow the herd?!

You have no clue about your countries history nor have appreciation. Go back and read on the Vietnam war and our soldiers before making broad ridiculous statements.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#154 » by bleeds_purple » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm

There's a lot of racist undertones to things he's said and done. Other than that he's a decent guy. I don't know about a role model though.
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#155 » by Purch » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Tim Duncan is really the only player I ever looked up to as a role model.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#156 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:52 pm

miamiheat319 wrote:

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

I respect athletes who use the platform we give them as celebrities to take principled stands against injustice. Not many do. I'm not sure how you can conclude that Ali was not willing to fight for 'freedom' but that is a political discussion that I'm not interested in having with you. you're welcome to dislike Ali all you like, but i can assure you that not many people anywhere in the world, especially those who are actually fighting for freedom, share your view of Ali's ethics or courage. But again, happily, it's a free world, so feel free to admire whomever the heck you want, and so will I.

And to the guy who dislikes PK Subban, you may or may not be right about him being dirty, I haven't seen it myself, but I admire a guy who gives $10m to sick kids as soon as he signs his first big contract.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#157 » by JordansBulls » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:55 pm

No because of the tattoos. Too many
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#158 » by Xherdan 23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:06 pm

miamiheat319 wrote:

Ali
Roberto Clemente
PK Subban
Roy Halladay
Colin Kaepernik
Chris Kluwe

That's bull****.
"Fighting for your country".

What was the point of this war?
Were the Viet Cong about to conquer the US?

I'm not going to get into politics here but "fighting for the country" is crap that only people who never fought can see as a good thing, especially in a country like yours that gets into many wars despite having the friendliest bordering countries.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#159 » by 510TWSS » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Yes
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,029

Post#160 » by SimonFish » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am

Prince187 wrote:edit: 75% of you think a guy who commits adultery is a good role model. That's extremely sad

you meant Kobe?

Return to The General Board