What is Ainge and Magic smoking?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,646

Re: What is Ainge smoking? 

Post#41 » by LordCovington33 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:33 am

[quote="zronv7"][i]Fultz has a loser mentality, he's not fit for the Celtics who hold a prestigious winning mentality[/i].[/quote]

Do you want salt with those chips on your shoulders?

48 hours ago, Boston fans were calling him a beast and the consensus number 1 pick. Now, he has a losing mentality, low motor, bust potential, etc.

In all honesty, it was the right decision for both teams. Boston didn't want another guard and felt they could get what they wanted at a lower pick and walk away with another asset, and the sixers wanted him badly due to his fit on the team. A win-win for both. Both GMs were happy, I figure.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#42 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:56 am

simmbiid wrote:48 hours ago, Boston fans were calling him a beast and the consensus number 1 pick. Now, he has a losing mentality, low motor, bust potential, etc.

zronv specifically was.

Anybody on this forum can check other's posting history, doing such reversals can get you embarrassed. At least don't be so outspoken about your opinions when they change so drastically and suddenly based on what your team does.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#43 » by Rotten Apple » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 am

He's done nothing with these picks.

Right now he just has a really cool baseball card collection.
toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#44 » by toussaud » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 am

that memphis first has a chance to be if gasol retires in the next 2 years to be a top 5 pick and that pick is going to matter becasue bagley is the truth
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#45 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:03 am

Many people believe there really isn't much difference between the top 3-4 guys. So let's say Ainge and the team really like Tatum and think he's a better fit and has the same potential as Fultz. Why pick Tatum at #1 when you can trade down and get another 1st round pick and still draft Tatum.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#46 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Many people believe there really isn't much difference between the top 3-4 guys. So let's say Ainge and the team really like Tatum and think he's a better fit and has the same potential as Fultz. Why pick Tatum at #1 when you can trade down and get another 1st round pick and still draft Tatum.

We get the logic, it's just most disagree with the assertion that there isn't much difference - not that that ultimately matters. It's how every draft is perceived leading up to and after the fact, fans and pundits compare and contrast the results of the picks to their own opinions and projections, they don't give teams the benefit of the doubt. It's never like that.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,368

Post#47 » by baldur » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:28 am

fultz is neither shaq, nor lebron. Ainge ripped off the 76ers.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,775

Post#48 » by JJ_PR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:28 am

Rotten Apple wrote:He's done nothing with these picks.

Right now he just has a really cool baseball card collection.

Exactly.
LeeBlaze
Junior
And1: 81

Post#49 » by LeeBlaze » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Many people believe there really isn't much difference between the top 3-4 guys. So let's say Ainge and the team really like Tatum and think he's a better fit and has the same potential as Fultz. Why pick Tatum at #1 when you can trade down and get another 1st round pick and still draft Tatum.

I agree, but Josh Jackson is more of an Ainge's type player. Ainge's drafted Jaylen last year, tried to acquire Winslow by offering 4 first round draft picks, and trying to trade for PG and Butler. Based on his track record, he likes athletic defensive SF's, which Jackson fits perfectly.

The draft picks are nice, but what exactly is Ainges doing with them? Celts still don't have much offense outside of IT, and they still have a weakness with rebounding. What Ainges has done to acquire these first round picks is nothing short of amazing, but he needs to start addressing some of their weaknesses. It could make sense that trading #1 is the first move of many to come.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#50 » by SOUL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:37 am

Blue Dream
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#51 » by Bruteque » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 am

Ainge is not smoking anything; he's just not one to swing for the fences.

This spreads the risk out over two picks. That's what Ainge is comfortable with.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#52 » by Leprechaun18 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 am

Danny once offered 4 1st picks including a Nets pick to MJ for the 10th draft spot. Thankfully MJ fell in love with Frank Kominsky and turned him down. People give Danny credit for getting the Nets pick, but it was really Billy King who initiated the deal. We call him Saint Billy now.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#53 » by kingofthecourt67 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 am

toussaud wrote:that memphis first has a chance to be if gasol retires in the next 2 years to be a top 5 pick and that pick is going to matter becasue bagley is the truth

Gasol is 32 and is scheduled to make 26 million in 2019-2020. I don't think that's happening.
Krazykiwi
Senior
And1: 551

Post#54 » by Krazykiwi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 am

Ainge is just dumb. He's lucked into most of the those picks, and IT was gift wrapped to him for free. Let's face it, nobody ever expected IT to be this good, it was one of the meaningless trades to get IT just for the sake of getting IT. it's not like Ainge knows how good IT would become. Then he went out and gave max contract to Harford. what does that signal? you are ready to put together a competitive team. Then he's lucked into a no.1 pick when his team has won 53 games and no.1 seed in the east. Now you have enough young players and draft picks in the coming years, why stockpile more? If you don't like Fults, then make the trade no.1 for Bulter, who's under contract for 2 more years and an excellent player. If you are a team like Boston right now, would you be better off with Bulter or someone like jackson and next year's pick who knows what's going to be. Prove talents almost always better than the unknowns. if you like Fults then take him and call it a day. you don't mess around and draft someone like Jackson while someone like Bulter could be had for the no.1 pick. I think Ainge really just clueless, he has no direction.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#55 » by Wilfried » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:00 am

ChiCityHoops34 wrote:Boston picks after already being a one seed this year.

2017 PHI 1st
2018 BOS 1st - late 1st round
2018 LAL 1st - only possible 2-5
2018 BKN 1st
2019 BOS 1st - late 1st round
2019 LAC 1st - protected 1-14
2019 SAC 1st - if Lakers pick doesn't fall in 2018
2019 MEM 1st - protected 1-8 or 1-6 in 2020

I would kill to be in the Celtics position right now

It's either 2018 LA pick or 2019 SAC pick, not both.

Together with this year's 3rd pick, the BKN 2018 pick and the LA/SAC pick are very very nice assets (although a lot can happen in 1 summer).

All the rest are low 1st round picks or pretty decent protected picks. So really nothing game changing.

And the picks need to be shipped, because I don't see the possibility to AND try to be a real contender AND built for the future.

But if they decide to go fot the future, at this moment they are with:
Jaylen Brown
Tatum/Josh Jackson/Dennis Smith/...?
BKN 2018
LA/SAC pick

That's very pretty ... but to me not even enough to challenge the other teams with a lot of bright future, like Milwaukee, Denver, Philadelphia and maybe even Minnesota.
Krazykiwi
Senior
And1: 551

Post#56 » by Krazykiwi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:03 am

With the way Celtics are going, they are going to be medicore for years to come with bunch of medicore young talents. Ainge is so overrated right now it's not even funny.
carlquincy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,146

Post#57 » by carlquincy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 am

As a Hearthstone scrub, Ainge is going for the value rather than the tempo play. Sometimes, there can be too much value.
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#58 » by NormanDale » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:42 am

simmbiid wrote:
zronv7 wrote:Fultz has a loser mentality, he's not fit for the Celtics who hold a prestigious winning mentality.

Do you want salt with those chips on your shoulders?

48 hours ago, Boston fans were calling him a beast and the consensus number 1 pick. Now, he has a losing mentality, low motor, bust potential, etc.

In all honesty, it was the right decision for both teams. Boston didn't want another guard and felt they could get what they wanted at a lower pick and walk away with another asset, and the sixers wanted him badly due to his fit on the team. A win-win for both. Both GMs were happy, I figure.

I agree with your first point. Either Fultz is a stud or he's not, but he can't be a stud when he's going to Boston and mediocre when he's going to Philly.

You're wrong about the second point, because (1) I doubt "fit" is the reason for the trade, and if it is, it's a stupid reason. You don't trade the #1 pick for fit reasons, you take the best player. None of the Celtics guards are worth passing on a future star, if that's what fultz is.

No, Ainge has convinced himself that Fultz is not the best player in the draft, and has his heart set on Jackson or Tatum. He probably considered shocking everyone by picking his real favorite at 1, but then realized he could get him anyway and add a future asset.

This move makes sense if you believe that the guy who wanted to trade 4 first round picks for Justice Winslow knows more about who will be the best player in this draft than everyone else combined.

I'm skeptical.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,277

Post#59 » by Black Jack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:50 am

let's not overthink this. It's Ainge vs. Colangelo. Celtics gotta win this trade. Right? 8-)
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,836

Post#60 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 am

RingsDontLie wrote:Someone needs to say it. May go down as one of the worst moves in NBA history.

Another quality thread from you. :roll:

I'm not in love with the deal right now but this is far from the worst moves in NBA history. Especially claiming that right at this moment. Absolutely laughable.

Return to The General Board