The Dansby Swanson Era Begins...

Moderator: HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

The Dansby Swanson Era Begins... 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:59 pm

Figured the 'hometown hero' and face of the franchise making his big league debut warranted its own thread:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

ATLANTA -- Dansby Swanson has received his much-anticipated call to the Majors and is expected to be in the lineup when the Braves play the Twins at Turner Field on Wednesday night.
After trading shortstop Erick Aybar to the Tigers on Tuesday, the Braves created the roster spot necessary for Swanson to begin his Major League career. The 22-year-old suburban Atlanta native ranks as baseball's No. 5 overall prospect according to MLBPipeline.com

Swanson was taken by the D-backs with the first overall selection in the 2015 MLB Draft and was traded to the Braves in the blockbuster deal that sent right-hander Shelby Miller to Arizona in December. The sure-handed shortstop has hit .261 with a .745 OPS over 84 games for Double-A Mississippi...

"He's not setting the world on fire, but I think pretty much everybody remembers what we saw in Spring Training," Braves manager Brian Snitker said. "We're not asking this kid to come in and carry us to the Promised Land. We're asking him to come in and be a part of this team.

"This is a very smart kid, and he's a good player," Hart said. "And however he performs up here, I think it's going to do nothing but be beneficial for him and for us as we go to make a decision as to what we do with the shortstop position next year."
Here

Clearly, we should temper enthusiasm and have complete patience with the rookie...but this is a very exciting time to be a Braves fan.

Thoughts?

Questions?

Predictions?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: The Dansby Swanson Era Begins... 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:15 pm

As one would expect, there's quite a bit of excitement. here's the take of a few of AJC's finest on Swanson's promotion:

Mark Bradley wrote:At 7:32 p.m., they announced the summoning of Dansby Swanson from Class AA Mississippi.

Barely 14 months ago, he was the No. 1 pick in the MLB draft. Ever since, he has been this franchise’s shortstop of the future. Come Wednesday night, he’ll be the shortstop, period. And away we go.
Here

Jeff Schultz wrote:...there’s a part of me that already feels sorry for Swanson.

When “top prospect” and “bad team” intersect in professional sports, it often leads to starving, desperate and pleading fans who look at scouting reports like lottery tickets and think, “Jackpot! We’re going to be rich!”

Please, everybody: Breathe. The expectations for this 22-year-old are already enormous, and the Braves have unfortunately been complicit in creating this situation by talking up this kid from Day 1...

Maybe this works out. For Swanson’s sake and the Braves’ future, that would be a good thing. But perspective is important in these matters...
Here
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,930

Post#3 » by JDR720 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:27 pm

hopefully he does well.

i think he will be a .290/.380/.460 guy eventually
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:44 pm

I landed in Atlanta not long ago.
This is the main topic on AM sports during my ride home.
I am looking forward to tonight for sure.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:00 pm

^I sure hope we aren't rushing this kid. I'm as excited as anyone, but I'd be more than okay had we downplayed this and let him ride the bench for a few days with the big league team. Let him get his bearings and then easing him into the lineup at some point.

But the powers that be seem to be taking a sink-or-swim approach. Hope that doesn't backfire at all.

Read on Twitter

Oh, boy :banghead:
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#6 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:15 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^I sure hope we aren't rushing this kid. I'm as excited as anyone, but I'd be more than okay had we downplayed this and let him ride the bench for a few days with the big league team. Let him get his bearings and then easing him into the lineup at some point.

But the powers that be seem to be taking a sink-or-swim approach. Hope that doesn't backfire at all.

Read on Twitter

Oh, boy :banghead:

I'm not concerned at all.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:53 pm

Swanson first MLB at bat, lined out to CF. Good AB though, saw 6 pitches.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:45 am

AM Sports Radio mentioned how bringing him up helps him see what it's going to be like being at the big leagues. Nice hotels and being catered to unlike the minors. It gives him a taste of what to expect.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:49 am

Swanson went 2-4 with 2 singles in his debut. Put him in the HOF, only player in the HOF with a .500 batting average. :-P
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:00 pm

^
Not bad for being pulled every direction before the game yesterday and only having 4hrs of sleep.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 3, 2017 7:41 pm

Okay...NOW the Swanson era begins. Rookie of the Year front-runner and franchise cornerstone...

Swanson, only rookie on Braves’ opening-day roster, doesn’t act like one

Dansby Swanson was the only rookie on the Braves’ opening day roster Monday and veteran players said the shortstop didn’t seem like a rookie at all, despite having less than two months in the big leagues.

It is a special day,” Swanson said. “It’s obviously going to be emotion-filled and everything, but you’ve got to try to prepare and do everything the same as you always do — that gives you a sense of comfort and doesn’t allow the butterflies to take over too much. You train all offseason for moments like these and throughout your life for moments like these, so nothing changes. Just happens to be the first (opening day) instead of the fourth or fifth one.

Swanson was the No. 1 overall selection of the 2015 draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks, and between that, his photogenic looks and the fact that the Braves have already made him focus of as many or more promotional campaigns than anyone else on the team, it would be understandable if there was some resentment from older players toward the golden child, as it were.

But there is none now or since his arrival, simply because of the way that Swanson goes about his business and comports himself on and off the field.

Said Braves Catcher Tyler Flowers, “I hung out with him a lot last year, on the road especially. Just a good guy. Perfect fit for this organization, this situation. High character, fits right in."
myAJC
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Thu Apr 6, 2017 3:02 pm

^
Hoping he becomes just that.
Our next Chipper Jones.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Mon May 22, 2017 2:14 pm

He had the best at bat of his MLB career last night - fighting off several tough Strassburg 96-97 MPH pitches to get a 2 run double in the 8th - getting the Braves their only 2 runs in a 3-2 loss.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:52 pm

I was getting worried. But sounds like the kid is finally getting through the doldrums...

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#15 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:53 pm

I was never really worried about him. I just hope he can perform well enough down the stretch to win ROY. Needs to get avg/OBP/SLG%/OPS up though.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#16 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Great mental toughness from Swanson to get through some serious struggles and, admittedly, some serious bad luck at the start of the season. The kid is showing some serious leadership capabilities and will be invaluable in the dugout for years to come.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Braves