Will Power Rushing Teams Return?

Moderator: bwgood77

BigBlue
Ballboy
And1: 5

Will Power Rushing Teams Return? 

Post#1 » by BigBlue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:52 pm

I grew up watching Jerome Bettis run all over people. I watched Walter Peyton and many others be the featured part of their offense. Now everyone says RBs are devalued and we have running backs by committee. The number 1 reason the talking heads tell us that a rushing attack will never make a comeback is because the fans wouldn't want it. It wouldn't be as exciting as a Star Wars passing attack. I certainly don't agree, and asking other fans, many agree with me. I'm not sure the guys on TV are right about this one. I love it when a RB breaks free for huge yardage. I love watching the OL push people back, and who doesn't love watching a RB trucking with little DBs hanging off of him. Most of the passing attacks are not exiting aerial displays anyway. Brady dinks and dunks down the field with short passes. The long bomb is mostly a wasted down. It seems the Dbs are getting ridiculously better and are catching up to the pass happy offenses. They are getting bigger and faster. It might be time for the pendulum to swing back to the ground attack. Let those big ole OLinemen smack people around instead of backing up 70% of the time. It would be worth just to watch modern defenses try to tackle. My only concern is the fact that the shelf life of premium backs seems to be going down. A great back might not last beyond 5 yrs. How did guys like Bettis have such long careers? Do you guys want to bring the rushing attack back? Do you actually believe it will ever come back?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,433

Re: Will Power Rushing Teams Return? 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:01 pm

BigBlue wrote:I grew up watching Jerome Bettis run all over people. I watched Walter Peyton and many others be the featured part of their offense. Now everyone says RBs are devalued and we have running backs by committee. The number 1 reason the talking heads tell us that a rushing attack will never make a comeback is because the fans wouldn't want it. It wouldn't be as exciting as a Star Wars passing attack. I certainly don't agree, and asking other fans, many agree with me. I'm not sure the guys on TV are right about this one. I love it when a RB breaks free for huge yardage. I love watching the OL push people back, and who doesn't love watching a RB trucking with little DBs hanging off of him. Most of the passing attacks are not exiting aerial displays anyway. Brady dinks and dunks down the field with short passes. The long bomb is mostly a wasted down. It seems the Dbs are getting ridiculously better and are catching up to the pass happy offenses. They are getting bigger and faster. It might be time for the pendulum to swing back to the ground attack. Let those big ole OLinemen smack people around instead of backing up 70% of the time. It would be worth just to watch modern defenses try to tackle. My only concern is the fact that the shelf life of premium backs seems to be going down. A great back might not last beyond 5 yrs. How did guys like Bettis have such long careers? Do you guys want to bring the rushing attack back? Do you actually believe it will ever come back?

Dallas might be the closest thing at the moment. The Raiders with Beast could put up a ridiculous rushing attack this year.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#3 » by bmurph128 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
BigBlue wrote:I grew up watching Jerome Bettis run all over people. I watched Walter Peyton and many others be the featured part of their offense. Now everyone says RBs are devalued and we have running backs by committee. The number 1 reason the talking heads tell us that a rushing attack will never make a comeback is because the fans wouldn't want it. It wouldn't be as exciting as a Star Wars passing attack. I certainly don't agree, and asking other fans, many agree with me. I'm not sure the guys on TV are right about this one. I love it when a RB breaks free for huge yardage. I love watching the OL push people back, and who doesn't love watching a RB trucking with little DBs hanging off of him. Most of the passing attacks are not exiting aerial displays anyway. Brady dinks and dunks down the field with short passes. The long bomb is mostly a wasted down. It seems the Dbs are getting ridiculously better and are catching up to the pass happy offenses. They are getting bigger and faster. It might be time for the pendulum to swing back to the ground attack. Let those big ole OLinemen smack people around instead of backing up 70% of the time. It would be worth just to watch modern defenses try to tackle. My only concern is the fact that the shelf life of premium backs seems to be going down. A great back might not last beyond 5 yrs. How did guys like Bettis have such long careers? Do you guys want to bring the rushing attack back? Do you actually believe it will ever come back?

Dallas might be the closest thing at the moment. The Raiders with Beast could put up a ridiculous rushing attack this year.

Yea I think it will.

Seattle wants to run the ball more; Dallas; Oakland..

Then for the future you have Gordon, Gurley, Fournette...RBs are starting to be drafted high again. Ebb and flow.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,271

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

I think I'm going to faint. :bowdown:
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#5 » by RavenMad31 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:50 pm

You know, as I was reading this, I started thinking to myself, "all football is exciting." I like monster rushing attacks. I like watching teams air it downfield. I like watching the Patriots execute their precision coordinated short passing attack. I like watching dominant defense. It's all good. To answer your question, I think a lot of it might depend on rules changes. It's frankly gotten just easy enough to pass now that it tips the competitive advantage just a little bit toward the passing game. As long as there aren't more rules to make that tilt more severe, I could see offenses reacting to defenses that are designed to cover spread offenses. They might evolve to running nickel or dime as a base package, then an offense comes out with the fat guys and just punches it up the gut. I'd like to see some of that and if I were an OC, I would be preparing to do that.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:17 pm

With the proliferation of spread offenses in College, it's natural for teams to adopt offenses of that ilk. But - there are exceptions to the rule. My grandson's HS team last year went to a run-based offense. It was more out of necessity as their defense was a little exposed on the outside so they tried to keep them off the field. But my grandson and his buddies on the offensive line absolutely loved running the ball and took pride and pleasure in dominating the LOS. I sense some of that in the Cowboys, the Raiders and (I have a hunch) the Titans. And I wouldn't be surprised to see those three teams take the lead of getting us back to some good ol' 1990's NFC East-style smash mouth running games.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
BigBlue
Ballboy

Post#7 » by BigBlue » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:06 am

The Titans definately have my attention. Conklin and Lewan Taylor are some bad boys. Dallas is the first to come to mind. I think things might flip despite the rules favoring the pass because defenses have adapted somewhat. Lighter linebackers and freakish DBs are evening things up a bit. One of my favorite parts of a pass happy league is watching the evolution of the pass rush. Blitz schemes and player packages are more exotic and creative than ever. With players on defense getting smaller, I can see teams like Dallas trying to exploit it. Here is something that will make you smile. Imagine a player like OG Kevin Gogan playing today. He was 330, crazy, and voted one of the dirtiest players of his time.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#8 » by shawn_hemp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:51 pm

I dont mind watching a ground-oriented team but I think from a strictly football sense, passing has become the far more viable option when it comes to moving the ball.

With the amount of pass interference or holding calls these days, you dont even have to necessarily complete a lot of your passes to move the ball downfield.

Whereas when you run the ball, the only real penalty the defense usually will pick up at times is a face mask. Maybe unsportsmanlike conduct if they tackle the guy out of bounds.

They dont call it the National Flag League for nothing, penalties are ruining the NFL and they really need to do something about it.

WRs arent even really looking for the ball, they just try to beat their DB downfield, get him to panic and grab at the receiver's body, and go down like a sack of potatoes as the ball vaguely lands in the general vicinity.

welp, that little snafu just cost the defense literally 1/3rd of the field, and half of the players on offense didnt even have to get physical.

and watch the aftermath of any NFL play that doesnt go in favor of the offense. There is a very strong chance that someone, somewhere on the field is doing the flag pulling motion to a referee

it's crazy

and with the increased scrutiny towards concussions, from a purely medical standpoint, power running strategies just dont really jive well with the image the league is trying to promote.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,271

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:55 pm

I totally disagree. I love the old ground and pound games of the 60's, 70's and 80's. Smash mouth, run it down your throat was a test of will, etc., Loved the 13 - 10, 9 - 7 games of the old days where you had to earn every yard you got. I agree on the foolish, silly new rule changes that are killing the game today however. I kinda liked it when the QB got smashed in the mouth and then some back then. Hell, your a football player and if you wanted to run etc., you got hit. Loved it when it was o.k. to club a lineman in the head with your cast on after breaking your hand the week before. I think the rules are way too much in favor of offense and I may be in the minority here, But high scoring games don't turn me on. I prefer the rockem, sockem games. And now that we do have high scoring games and rules that favor the offense, the league isn't doing a good job with any kind of consistency. If you breathe or lay a finger on Brady or Manning, out comes a flag where you see QB's like Newton and Alex Smith take royal beatings and late hits and nothing is called.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:I dont mind watching a ground-oriented team but I think from a strictly football sense, passing has become the far more viable option when it comes to moving the ball.

With the amount of pass interference or holding calls these days, you dont even have to necessarily complete a lot of your passes to move the ball downfield.

Whereas when you run the ball, the only real penalty the defense usually will pick up at times is a face mask. Maybe unsportsmanlike conduct if they tackle the guy out of bounds.

They dont call it the National Flag League for nothing, penalties are ruining the NFL and they really need to do something about it.

WRs arent even really looking for the ball, they just try to beat their DB downfield, get him to panic and grab at the receiver's body, and go down like a sack of potatoes as the ball vaguely lands in the general vicinity.

welp, that little snafu just cost the defense literally 1/3rd of the field, and half of the players on offense didnt even have to get physical.

and watch the aftermath of any NFL play that doesnt go in favor of the offense. There is a very strong chance that someone, somewhere on the field is doing the flag pulling motion to a referee

it's crazy

and with the increased scrutiny towards concussions, from a purely medical standpoint, power running strategies just dont really jive well with the image the league is trying to promote.

Anymore than receivers getting concussed when going over the middle by headhunting DB's and LB's do.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#11 » by shawn_hemp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Anymore than receivers getting concussed when going over the middle by headhunting DB's and LB's do.

yeah but they can throw a flag for defenseless receiver on those plays

there isnt much they can do when a guy like LeGarrette Blount absorbs a huge hit because anything less and he probably wouldnt go down.

That's part of the reason Cam Newton doesnt get as many calls, he is too big and strong for his own good. Excessive force used on Tom Brady equates out to what you would have to use on Cam just to bring him down.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 am

shawn_hemp wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Anymore than receivers getting concussed when going over the middle by headhunting DB's and LB's do.

yeah but they can throw a flag for defenseless receiver on those plays

there isnt much they can do when a guy like LeGarrette Blount absorbs a huge hit because anything less and he probably wouldnt go down.

That's part of the reason Cam Newton doesnt get as many calls, he is too big and strong for his own good. Excessive force used on Tom Brady equates out to what you would have to use on Cam just to bring him down.

It's a man's game. When it goes full Arena Football is when I just stick to hockey.
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#13 » by InfraRedshaw » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Check out this play calling from titans v dolphins last season!

(12:23 - 2nd) A.Franks kicks 61 yards from MIA 35 to TEN 4. M.Mariani to TEN 24 for 20 yards (M.Thomas).
1st and 10 at TEN 24

(12:15 - 2nd) D.Kelly reported in as eligible. D.Murray right tackle to TEN 29 for 5 yards (D.Butler).
2nd and 5 at TEN 29

(11:38 - 2nd) D.Murray up the middle to TEN 32 for 3 yards (K.Alonso).
3rd and 2 at TEN 32

(10:59 - 2nd) D.Murray left tackle to TEN 40 for 8 yards (T.Lippett).
1st and 10 at TEN 40

(10:16 - 2nd) D.Kelly reported in as eligible. M.Mariota scrambles right end to TEN 48 for 8 yards (J.Phillips).
2nd and 2 at TEN 48

(9:34 - 2nd) D.Henry left tackle to MIA 44 for 8 yards (J.Jones). MIA-J.Phillips was injured during the play. His return is Probable.
1st and 10 at MIA 44

(8:54 - 2nd) D.Henry up the middle to MIA 42 for 2 yards (K.Alonso).
2nd and 8 at MIA 42

(8:17 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Henry up the middle to MIA 20 for 22 yards (R.Jones; I.Abdul-Quddus).
1st and 10 at MIA 20

(7:39 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Henry right tackle to MIA 15 for 5 yards (K.Alonso).
2nd and 5 at MIA 15

(7:02 - 2nd) D.Murray right end to MIA 5 for 10 yards (R.Jones; J.Phillips).
1st and Goal at MIA 5

(6:17 - 2nd) D.Murray left guard to MIA 5 for no gain (K.Alonso).
2nd and Goal at MIA 5

(5:38 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Mariota pass incomplete short middle to D.Murray.
3rd and Goal at MIA 5

(5:30 - 2nd) Andre Johnson Pass From Marcus Mariota for 5 Yrds (Kick formation) R.Succop extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Brinkley, Holder-B.Kern.

Here's the link, http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400874581 i was legit so pumped to watch us rush like this
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:17 pm

InfraRedshaw wrote:Check out this play calling from titans v dolphins last season!

(12:23 - 2nd) A.Franks kicks 61 yards from MIA 35 to TEN 4. M.Mariani to TEN 24 for 20 yards (M.Thomas).
1st and 10 at TEN 24

(12:15 - 2nd) D.Kelly reported in as eligible. D.Murray right tackle to TEN 29 for 5 yards (D.Butler).
2nd and 5 at TEN 29

(11:38 - 2nd) D.Murray up the middle to TEN 32 for 3 yards (K.Alonso).
3rd and 2 at TEN 32

(10:59 - 2nd) D.Murray left tackle to TEN 40 for 8 yards (T.Lippett).
1st and 10 at TEN 40

(10:16 - 2nd) D.Kelly reported in as eligible. M.Mariota scrambles right end to TEN 48 for 8 yards (J.Phillips).
2nd and 2 at TEN 48

(9:34 - 2nd) D.Henry left tackle to MIA 44 for 8 yards (J.Jones). MIA-J.Phillips was injured during the play. His return is Probable.
1st and 10 at MIA 44

(8:54 - 2nd) D.Henry up the middle to MIA 42 for 2 yards (K.Alonso).
2nd and 8 at MIA 42

(8:17 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Henry up the middle to MIA 20 for 22 yards (R.Jones; I.Abdul-Quddus).
1st and 10 at MIA 20

(7:39 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Henry right tackle to MIA 15 for 5 yards (K.Alonso).
2nd and 5 at MIA 15

(7:02 - 2nd) D.Murray right end to MIA 5 for 10 yards (R.Jones; J.Phillips).
1st and Goal at MIA 5

(6:17 - 2nd) D.Murray left guard to MIA 5 for no gain (K.Alonso).
2nd and Goal at MIA 5

(5:38 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Mariota pass incomplete short middle to D.Murray.
3rd and Goal at MIA 5

(5:30 - 2nd) Andre Johnson Pass From Marcus Mariota for 5 Yrds (Kick formation) R.Succop extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Brinkley, Holder-B.Kern.

Here's the link, http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400874581 i was legit so pumped to watch us rush like this

Average 6.6 yards per play and then go and throw it twice inside the 5 yard line. OC should be fired.

(that was sarcasm...)
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Here is an example of how power running can be a good thing.

Of course, I might be a bit provincial in how I view this particular series of football...

InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#16 » by InfraRedshaw » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:06 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tennesseetitans/comments/6ncq3j/the_most_smashmouth_drive_of_the_season_all22/

one of the guys over on the titans reddit put this together, give this a watch if you looking for some power football!
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#17 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Well, I was looking forward to seeing how much Foreman could help our running game this year, but now that he got popped for weed and a gun I'm guessing McNair and Co. will send him on his way.

I hope not, but what an idiot. Heard he came into rookie camp out of shape, too.

Piss titties.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:17 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:Well, I was looking forward to seeing how much Foreman could help our running game this year, but now that he got popped for weed and a gun I'm guessing McNair and Co. will send him on his way.

I hope not, but what an idiot. Heard he came into rookie camp out of shape, too.

Piss titties.

At the rate it takes Goodell to make a decision you'll probably have a couple of years before he gets suspended for 3 games.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#19 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
RaoulDuke79 wrote:Well, I was looking forward to seeing how much Foreman could help our running game this year, but now that he got popped for weed and a gun I'm guessing McNair and Co. will send him on his way.

Piss titties.

At the rate it takes Goodell to make a decision you'll probably have a couple of years before he gets suspended for 3 games.

Maybe not such a big deal after all, but the way McNair rolls, who knows:

Read on Twitter
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
BigBlue
Ballboy

Post#20 » by BigBlue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 am

Is it possible for runners to have a long term productive and healthy career. I heard the horrible things they did to guys like Walter Payton to keep them on the field. Is the hitting getting more vicious? Are athletes to powerful for the runners to absorb those kinds of hits? I doubt that, since tackling seems to be a problem in the league right now. Can a big time back have around an eight year career in their prime?

Return to The General NFL Board