ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1441 » by Battery » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:38 pm

I would love to go to the HR Derby tonight but Miami is such a sh*t hole and the traffic sucks during the week. I also saw how they jacked up the prices for food and drink. Normally the prices inside the stadium during regular Marlins games make me sick, but this is getting ridiculous. Drive down there, pay tolls, gas, sit in traffic, parking, sweat your ass off walking to the stadium then get gouged on tickets and concessions. The heat index today is well over 100 so that means even with the roof closed it will still be hot as heck inside. Ugh cause I'd really like to go. Giancarlo vs. Judge is going to be some show.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#1442 » by TMU » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:31 am

The only excuse this team has right now is that a lot our pitchers are hurt. But again, it doesn't address our batting and base running woes. I mean when are we going to get a lead off hitter? I love Granderson, but I'm sick of watching him trying to swing for the fences. Hell, I'd consider promoting Rosario at this point.

I have also said this year after year, and I will say this again. We sure did screw up by giving up on Daniel Murphy, who we could desperately use right now.

Just so many things going south right now.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#1443 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:39 am

TMU wrote:The only excuse this team has right now is that a lot our pitchers are hurt. But again, it doesn't address our batting and base running woes. I mean when are we going to get a lead off hitter? I love Granderson, but I'm sick of watching him trying to swing for the fences. Hell, I'd consider promoting Rosario at this point.

I have also said this year after year, and I will say this again. We sure did screw up by giving up on Daniel Murphy, who we could desperately use right now.

I think we are in seller mode. I saw an article on Jay Bruce discussing his limited-NTC (7 teams?). I believe that's where the focus of the team is right now.

I posted a prior comment listing all of the players I could think of who could be traded at the deadline. I think we should be able to get something decent for Duda, Reed and Blevins.

It's time to bring up Rosario and Dominic Smith. Let them get a good taste of major league pitching (and curveballs) now. Look at all the good it did Arron Judge that he got to experience failure last season. He adjusted and look at him now!
Battery
Analyst

Post#1444 » by Battery » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:04 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
TMU wrote:The only excuse this team has right now is that a lot our pitchers are hurt. But again, it doesn't address our batting and base running woes. I mean when are we going to get a lead off hitter? I love Granderson, but I'm sick of watching him trying to swing for the fences. Hell, I'd consider promoting Rosario at this point.

I think we are in seller mode. I saw an article on Jay Bruce discussing his limited-NTC (7 teams?). I believe that's where the focus of the team is right now.

I posted a prior comment listing all of the players I could think of who could be traded at the deadline. I think we should be able to get something decent for Duda, Reed and Blevins.

It's time to bring up Rosario and Dominic Smith. Let them get a good taste of major league pitching (and curveballs) now. Look at all the good it did Arron Judge that he got to experience failure last season. He adjusted and look at him now!

I brought it up the other day about contenders not willing to really give much for the types of players you're willing to trade. The only one with serious market value right now is deGrom. Houston is hot for him and has many great prospects that are close to major league ready that would fill a lot of our needs. With the fragility of starting pitching, if the 'Stros want to overpay for deGrom, I seriously consider trading him.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1445 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I brought it up the other day about contenders not willing to really give much for the types of players you're willing to trade. The only one with serious market value right now is deGrom. Houston is hot for him and has many great prospects that are close to major league ready that would fill a lot of our needs. With the fragility of starting pitching, if the 'Stros want to overpay for deGrom, I seriously consider trading him.

If we got a haul, I would strongly consider it. My concern is that the career arcs are going to be off from some of the young players we ready now. Our starting pitching (Noah, Matz, Wheeler and Harvey) is a complete mess. We do have Lugo and Gsellman. I don't know what else we have down on the farm.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,526

Post#1446 » by Lord Commander » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

If we got a haul, I would strongly consider it. My concern is that the career arcs are going to be off from some of the young players we ready now. Our starting pitching (Noah, Matz, Wheeler and Harvey) is a complete mess. We do have Lugo and Gsellman. I don't know what else we have down on the farm.

I wouldn't mind a package starting with Bregman.
prolific96
Junior
And1: 118

Post#1447 » by prolific96 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

They'd have to give up a lot. It would have to start with Tucker/Martes and finish with another top 10 organizational prospect after seeing what the Cubs gave up for Quintana. Hopefully with Pineda going down the Yankees get involved as I like there prospects better.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#1448 » by whocares1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Mets shouldn't part with DeGrom because they're still a win now team. With the uncertainty of Harvey you can't lose DeGrom for "prospects". The truth of the matter is that the starting pitching **** up this season for the Mets.

Their inability to stay healthy and go deep into games destroyed an already thin bullpen and led to the team trying to overcome this uphill battle. Next season they'll all be fully healthy to start camp unlike this past season and if the starting rotation can regain their dominance then the Mets still have a chance at being a great team.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1449 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:20 pm

whocares1 wrote:Mets shouldn't part with DeGrom because they're still a win now team. With the uncertainty of Harvey you can't lose DeGrom for "prospects". The truth of the matter is that the starting pitching **** up this season for the Mets.

Their inability to stay healthy and go deep into games destroyed an already thin bullpen and led to the team trying to overcome this uphill battle. Next season they'll all be fully healthy to start camp unlike this past season and if the starting rotation can regain their dominance then the Mets still have a chance at being a great team.

Win now? As in this season? I'm not so sure about that. I would agree with you if our pitching was in better shape. I have no faith whatsoever in Wheeler, Harvey and Matz. And Noah is going to have to lay off the weights for awhile.

I think we need the retool. We have a number of position players we have no more use for. If we go young, then we push our window back a couple of years, I think. That means we have no immediate need for Reed or Blevins either.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#1450 » by whocares1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
whocares1 wrote:Mets shouldn't part with DeGrom because they're still a win now team. With the uncertainty of Harvey you can't lose DeGrom for "prospects". The truth of the matter is that the starting pitching **** up this season for the Mets.

Win now? As in this season? I'm not so sure about that. I would agree with you if our pitching was in better shape. I have no faith whatsoever in Wheeler, Harvey and Matz. And Noah is going to have to lay off the weights for awhile.

I think we need the retool. We have a number of position players we have no more use for. If we go young, then we push our window back a couple of years, I think. That means we have no immediate need for Reed or Blevins either.

The team was supposed to compete for a championship this season. If it wasn't for the starting pitching which was supposed to be our strength, the team would be in a better position right now to compete for the division. Blevins and Reed are absolutely expendable, and possibly Duda but not DeGrom.
Battery
Analyst

Post#1451 » by Battery » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:57 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

Bregman yes, but I also want Kyle Tucker in the OF. Tucker reminds me of Bellinger on the Dodgers. If we can get Bregman, Tucker and a top pitching prospect from Houston, plus a really good relief prospect, then it is adios to deGrom. But there are plenty of teams who would be interested in deGrom so that only ups the value even more. The Yankees should be interested but they don't want to part with any of their good prospects.
Battery
Analyst

Post#1452 » by Battery » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:02 pm

prolific96 wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

They'd have to give up a lot. It would have to start with Tucker/Martes and finish with another top 10 organizational prospect after seeing what the Cubs gave up for Quintana. Hopefully with Pineda going down the Yankees get involved as I like there prospects better.

I would like Tucker and of course a lot more too. deGrom is worth much more than Quintana. The Yankees have said they don't want to give up their prospects and they won't overpay. There is always some other team lurking around that is willing to overpay for a stud pitcher.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,526

Post#1453 » by Lord Commander » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Battery wrote:
ToHoleWithSoul wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Bregman yes, but I also want Kyle Tucker in the OF. Tucker reminds me of Bellinger on the Dodgers. If we can get Bregman, Tucker and a top pitching prospect from Houston, plus a really good relief prospect, then it is adios to deGrom. But there are plenty of teams who would be interested in deGrom so that only ups the value even more. The Yankees should be interested but they don't want to part with any of their good prospects.

Given how fragile starting pitching is, it might be wise to go with a more balanced approach. Keep Thor/Matz/Lugo, put Gsellman in the pen, sign a couple of sturdy free agent pitchers, and deal deGrom and Harvey (if he ever becomes serviceable) for offense.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1454 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Trading deGrom is almost like trading KP. In each case, if we make that trade, we better be getting back a certified haul.

Funny, how when Phil discussed taking offers for trading KP (something he was never serious about), he's a kook and has to go. But when we - or Sandy - seriously discuss trading deGrom, it's strictly business. But I digress.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#1455 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Trading deGrom is almost like trading KP. In each case, if we make that trade, we better be getting back a certified haul.

Funny, how when Phil discussed taking offers for trading KP (something he was never serious about), he's a kook and has to go. But when we - or Sandy - seriously discuss trading deGrom, it's strictly business. But I digress.

In baseball you can actually get fair return for your stars, something in basketball never happens. It's also a lot easier to find a quality player out of nowhere in baseball, basketball to land a star it's damn hard. Plus well you know... it's the Mets. We had two years, so we're due for a decade of disappointment.

I don't want to trade DeGrom, him and Thor should be the future of this staff. However if we can get a stable of good prospects then it's something you seriously gotta consider. I don't think you can get much for Matz, I think the league has probably soured on him due to the constant injuries. Harvery probably has the value of a box of sunflower seeds and well who the hell knows with Wheeler. DeGrom is the only guy on this team that can return a sizeable haul that can grow with Smith/Rosario. DeGrom just turned 29 and will be looking to cash in soon probably with an extension.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1456 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Trading deGrom is almost like trading KP. In each case, if we make that trade, we better be getting back a certified haul.

In baseball you can actually get fair return for your stars, something in basketball never happens. It's also a lot easier to find a quality player out of nowhere in baseball, basketball to land a star it's damn hard. Plus well you know... it's the Mets. We had two years, so we're due for a decade of disappointment.

I don't want to trade DeGrom, him and Thor should be the future of this staff. However if we can get a stable of good prospects then it's something you seriously gotta consider. I don't think you can get much for Matz, I think the league has probably soured on him due to the constant injuries. Harvery probably has the value of a box of sunflower seeds and well who the hell knows with Wheeler. DeGrom is the only guy on this team that can return a sizeable haul that can grow with Smith/Rosario. DeGrom just turned 29 and will be looking to cash in soon probably with an extension.

It depends. In each sport, if you're rebuilding and therefore trading a star - for minor leaguers (baseball) or for draft picks (basketball) - you won't know the outcome until years later. Remember Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz? Of even closer to home, Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler? Of course there are the trades like Seaver to Cincinnati for what turned out to be a bunch of nothing (Zachary, Stevie Henderson, Doug Flynn) which was an epic fail. I was in Philadelphia when the Sixers traded Charles Barkley to the Suns for a bunch of players (Hornacek, Andrew Lang and I can't forget the rest). That was also an epic fail, but Barkley was causing so many problems in his attempt for force a trade, it forced the Sixers hand. (Remember those days? lol).

I think if you're moving a player in his prime, you're probably right. But if the player's arc is not match up the team arc, what do you do? Should the Phillies have traded 27 win pitcher Steve Carlton when the team only won 58 games?

Let me ask you this: If Sacramento offered all three first round picks (nos. 5, 10 and 15) in this year's draft for KP, would you pull the trigger?

Fun stuff to think about.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1457 » by reub » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

It depends. In each sport, if you're rebuilding and therefore trading a star - for minor leaguers (baseball) or for draft picks (basketball) - you won't know the outcome until years later. Remember Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz? Of even closer to home, Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler? Of course there are the trades like Seaver to Cincinnati for what turned out to be a bunch of nothing (Zachary, Stevie Henderson, Doug Flynn) which was an epic fail. I was in Philadelphia when the Sixers traded Charles Barkley to the Suns for a bunch of players (Hornacek, Andrew Lang and I can't forget the rest). That was also an epic fail, but Barkley was causing so many problems in his attempt for force a trade, it forced the Sixers hand. (Remember those days? lol).

I think if you're moving a player in his prime, you're probably right. But if the player's arc is not match up the team arc, what do you do? Should the Phillies have traded 27 win pitcher Steve Carlton when the team only won 58 games?

Let me ask you this: If Sacramento offered all three first round picks (nos. 5, 10 and 15) in this year's draft for KP, would you pull the trigger?

Only if they took Melo too.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1458 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:25 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:It depends. In each sport, if you're rebuilding and therefore trading a star - for minor leaguers (baseball) or for draft picks (basketball) - you won't know the outcome until years later. Remember Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz? Of even closer to home, Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler? Of course there are the trades like Seaver to Cincinnati for what turned out to be a bunch of nothing (Zachary, Stevie Henderson, Doug Flynn) which was an epic fail. I was in Philadelphia when the Sixers traded Charles Barkley to the Suns for a bunch of players (Hornacek, Andrew Lang and I can't forget the rest). That was also an epic fail, but Barkley was causing so many problems in his attempt for force a trade, it forced the Sixers hand. (Remember those days? lol).

Listen it's all a roll of the dice, sometimes you trade Preston Wilson and get Piazza and sometimes you trade a player to be named later and that turns into Bagwell/Trea Turner. I think you gotta put yourself in position to have flexibility going forward, especially when we're talking about 180-220 million dollar contracts for DeGrom/Thor in all likelihood.

If the Kings offered that deal, I wouldn't. KP has the upside to become something great, a truly transcendent player. In the NBA then late/fringe lottery picks are usually nothing more than solid starters/good bench guys. In baseball if someone is offering me a top five prospects, along with two top twenty prospects... I'm probably jumping at that.

Look at the Cespedes for Fulmer trade, it was great for both sides. At said time, no one saw Fulmer becoming what he became. Looking at what the Yankees did last trade deadline, that turned the franchise potentially around adding Torres/Frazier/Sheff/rest of them. If the Mets could land a haul like that this deadline for DeGrom/Bruce/Rest of them I'm probably going for it.

Rosario/Smith look like the real deal, not Fernando Martinez type hype. I don't know, I just want something to root for this team and right now it's hard to find something here. Going forward with Conforto/Rosario/Smith and two other elite prospects would make me very excited.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1459 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:38 am

So we won't call up Rosario because of Cabrera? Mets gonna Mets.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1460 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 am

Manhattan Project wrote:So we won't call up Rosario because of Cabrera? Mets gonna Mets.

Sandy has to be looking to trade Cabrera .... right? :lol:

Return to New York Knicks