In today's NBA what is the difference between a SG and a SF?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

In today's NBA what is the difference between a SG and a SF? 

Post#1 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:18 pm

What are characteristics of a SG vs. a SF and how are the two positions different? Who would you say is the definition of one vs. the other?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Re: In today's NBA what is the difference between a SG and a SF? 

Post#2 » by Luigi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:23 pm

http://www.draftexpress.com/average-measurements-by-position/all/all/all/all/

There is a lot of confusion over this, but their sizes are clearly different. You don't wanna be stuck guarding someone with a 6 inch higher release than you.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#3 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Yeah, generally it's size for defensive purposes. Star SFs are usually guards on offense. Thabo Sefolosha was not a guard on offense for the Thunder, Danny Green is not a guard on offense for the Spurs, etc.
qwerty1234
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#4 » by qwerty1234 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Mostly size for defense, many teams still swap primary matchups between 1/2 and 3/4. On offense it's more about ball handling ability. If you're a rock on offense then you're going to be a 3 unless everyone else can make up for your lack of ability
LookToShoot
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#5 » by LookToShoot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:46 pm

it comes down to where and how they play offensively on the court and who they guard on the other end, and you can throw in size as well.

At this point, it doesn't really matter. You have all types of players who do different things.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,971

Post#6 » by RCM88x » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Like others have said, its mostly on the defensive end regarding the size of the player one primarily defends.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#7 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Luigi wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/average-measurements-by-position/all/all/all/all/

There is a lot of confusion over this, but their sizes are clearly different. You don't wanna be stuck guarding someone with a 6 inch higher release than you.

and don't forget the precious wingspan - far more important for a SF than a SG - on the other hand, with all of the switching today, it's more important for everyone :lol:
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Same question can be asked for SF and PF.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#9 » by Statlanta » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:49 pm

When I think of Small Forwards I think of Ron Artest. Big perimeter players who can guard and post up wings.
When I think of Shooting Guard I think of Victor Oladipo. Smaller quicker guards who can hang with guys due to athleticism.

Conclusion
It's scary seeing a 6"8" shooting guard and a 6"10" 3/4 SF on the same team
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,252

Post#10 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:52 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Same question can be asked for SF and PF.

Not really.

Although it's becoming more common place to move a SF over to PF, even more modern PFs aren't quite as skilled on the perimeter in terms of their ballhandling and ability to create for themselves or others. We're talking in general, not the occasional exception.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Luigi
General Manager

Post#11 » by Luigi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:52 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Luigi wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/average-measurements-by-position/all/all/all/all/

and don't forget the precious wingspan - far more important for a SF than a SG - on the other hand, with all of the switching today, it's more important for everyone :lol:

Yeah, I take standing reach more seriously though. Wingspan is good for getting into passing lanes and reaching for the steal, but the more responsible defense is about staying in front of your man and getting your hands up when it matters. I wish announcers would list standing reach numbers instead of the wingspan for casual fans to gawk at.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#12 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:56 pm

You probably will not find a 6'4" SF or a SF that runs off of screens for shots.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Luigi wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Yeah, I take standing reach more seriously though. Wingspan is good for getting into passing lanes and reaching for the steal, but the more responsible defense is about staying in front of your man and getting your hands up when it matters. I wish announcers would list standing reach numbers instead of the wingspan for casual fans to gawk at.

and to take your logic even further, wouldn't it be nice if a few more players understood this?
There have been some great shot-blockers that didn't jump much. They just stand there and reach up. There's no falling for a fake or whatever - I'm thinking of Mark Eaton for example.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#14 » by Luigi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:59 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Luigi wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:and don't forget the precious wingspan - far more important for a SF than a SG - on the other hand, with all of the switching today, it's more important for everyone :lol:

and to take your logic even further, wouldn't it be nice if a few more players understood this?
There have been some great shot-blockers that didn't jump much. They just stand there and reach up. There's no falling for a fake or whatever - I'm thinking of Mark Eaton for example.

Ostertag did it well too, despite his many shortcomings. The Jerry Sloan defense was built around a huge cork in the middle. I think if he had one during the Williams, Boozer, Okur era to be a third big, we'd have had a longer run.
zFoxHoUnD-x
Junior
And1: 233

Re: RE: Re: In today's NBA what is the difference between a SG and a SF? 

Post#15 » by zFoxHoUnD-x » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:13 pm

RCM88x wrote:Like others have said, its mostly on the defensive end regarding the size of the player one primarily defends.

Exactly, it drove me nuts when the Raptors would list a 6'4 Powell as an SF and a 6'7 DeRozan as an SG. Seriously, what is the rationale for that?

DeRozan can't guard either position so I guess it doesn't really matter, but with a 3 inch height difference it makes no sense to list the shorter player as the SG.

Sent from my C6506 using RealGM mobile app
Just_Somebody
Freshman
And1: 173

Post#16 » by Just_Somebody » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:13 pm

More SGs can play PG, and more SFs can play PF.
zFoxHoUnD-x
Junior
And1: 233

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: In today's NBA what is the difference between a SG and a SF? 

Post#17 » by zFoxHoUnD-x » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:21 pm

zFoxHoUnD-x wrote:
RCM88x wrote:Like others have said, its mostly on the defensive end regarding the size of the player one primarily defends.

Exactly, it drove me nuts when the Raptors would list a 6'4 Powell as an SF and a 6'7 DeRozan as an SG. Seriously, what is the rationale for that?

DeRozan can't guard either position so I guess it doesn't really matter, but with a 3 inch height difference it makes no sense to list the shorter player as the SG.

Edit, "makes no sense to list the shorter player as the SF."

TheWolfoftheNBA
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#18 » by TheWolfoftheNBA » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Literally no difference. Only difference is for idiots who take things too much into technicalities.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#19 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:26 pm

PG's can play SG.

They can't play SF.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,109

Post#20 » by J-Ves » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Height, ball handling ability. There isn't really much and those 2 positions have more or less combined to create the 'wing' position.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to The General Board