What are the Spurs doing this offseason?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Re: What are the Spurs doing this offseason? 

Post#21 » by KobeBryant24 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:15 pm

They are getting lebron next year
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,468

Post#22 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Not expecting much to happen, if anything does will be an Aldridge trade.

Dejounte Murray will likely be Parker's successor if it's not CP3/Westbrook (which I doubt either will be), last season was huge for his confidence, and he'll have a full season to continue to progress and prove himself more to the team.

Gay was brought in as Simmons-insurance and to better their wing-offense.

If they get anyone, it'll be another dynamic forward to replace Aldridge (trade or 2018 FA). I would be very surprised if he isn't dealt before the summer, even if just for a 1st rounder and expiring(s).

Murray (6'5" and long)
Green (6'6" and long)
Leonard (6'7" and long)
LeBron/George (6'8" and long)
Chandler/Pau (7'1")

Would be one hell of a team to throw out against the Warriors.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#23 » by Warchant » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 pm

NickAnderson wrote:Man, Lebron and Kawhi on the same team would be so dominant defensively

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

LB doesnt even play D anymore
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,283

Post#24 » by phanman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:32 pm

nbafan38 wrote:
vxmike wrote:
thierry wrote:2018 free agency.

Can have 70m+ plus in cap.

Kawhi/Pop will be an attractive destination for LBJ/CP3 if they want to win chips.

The Spurs aren't dumb enough to lock up oft-injured CP3 long term at his age.

I think Lebron will leave the Cavs again. Would he swallow his ego and let himself be coached by Pop? Lebron and Kawhi would be a perfect fit if Lebron is ready for the move to PF. Mills is a perfect low usage PG with two ball handling forwards.

Any guess what Pau does?

I don't think 34 year old Lebron + Kawahi is even beating GS, but if they add a third piece, then you might have a team that could actually beat GS.

Its not just LeBron and Kawhi though, they still have Danny Green and Mills now locked up. That's 3 dead eye shooters around LeBron with Kawhi and Green as lock-down defenders. That's definitely enough to take down the Spurs, especially considering what Kawhi did on his own in G1.

That and the brilliance of Pop would bring out another dimension of Lebron's game I feel.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#25 » by bulliedog8 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:36 pm

NickAnderson wrote:Man, Lebron and Kawhi on the same team would be so dominant defensively

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

How so? Lebron isnt good at defense.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#26 » by vxmike » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Kawhi/Pop will be an attractive destination for LBJ/CP3 if they want to win chips.

Well they aren't going to have anywhere near $70m even if Gay opts out and Pau isn't signed.

Kawhi $20m
Mills $12m
Murray, 2017 1st, 2018 1st cap holds $5M ?
Duncan $2m (stretched)
Minimum roster charges

They should go for Lebron at max then try to get Deandre Jordan if Murray is ready to take over for Green. If they keep Green it'd basically be just adding one max guy with some change left over.

With Max deals costing so much it's going to be much tougher to assemble super teams going forward.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,283

Post#27 » by phanman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:13 pm

vxmike wrote:

Well they aren't going to have anywhere near $70m even if Gay opts out and Pau isn't signed.

Kawhi $20m
Mills $12m
Murray, 2017 1st, 2018 1st cap holds $5M ?
Duncan $2m (stretched)
Minimum roster charges

They should go for Lebron at max then try to get Deandre Jordan if Murray is ready to take over for Green. If they keep Green it'd basically be just adding one max guy with some change left over.

With Max deals costing so much it's going to be much tougher to assemble super teams going forward.

On a project 102m for next season:
Kawhi - 20m
Mills - 12m
Murray - 1.5m
White - 1.6m
Duncan - 1.9m
----------------->37m.
Anderson(2.1m), Bertans(1.3m) and Forbes(1.3m) all RFA = 4.7m assuming like a 6m cap hold to keep their bird right making it about 43m committed.

They do have 3 guys with player options: 31yo Green(10m), 31yo Gay(8m), and 32yo LMA(22.4m). All three guys will probably opt out to seek that final big contract, especially Green and Gay whom are underpaid in this new CBA for their potential production.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,123

Post#28 » by AdagioPace » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:49 pm

waiting for this

Read on Twitter
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,448

Post#29 » by Slim Charlez » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:56 pm

The Warriors will be even better next season thanks to the fact that KD is all settled, so I'm very happy that we didn't overpay for CP3 or any other aging star that wouldn't have gotten us over the hump this year anyway. Next offseason with more money off the books and a better free agency class we'll have a way better chance to improve the roster
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#30 » by JGOJustin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:01 pm

It's all or nothing for San Antonio...next summer.

IMO they're completely punting this season. Parker won't be able to play until the new year, Pau Gasol may not even be back, Rudy Gay is coming off an achilles, LMA doesn't even wanna be there, I mean..

They're the spurs so they'll win 50+ but I'm not that confident in them defeating quite a few WC teams come postseason.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 333

Post#31 » by bullsaficianado » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:11 pm

I actually think the Spurs have a real good shot at signing LeBron next season on a 1 year deal. Pop might not be coaching any longer than a few more seasons and LeBron would love to play for Pop for 1 season. It's also the only team he can leave Cleveland for where the fans won't burn his jerseys in the streets. Spurs have won championships and are a well respected NBA franchise. A LeBron/Leonard duo would be pretty solid but to have a good shot at beating Golden State they would need a 3rd all-star player.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,307

Post#32 » by nbafan38 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 pm

bullsaficianado wrote:I actually think the Spurs have a real good shot at signing LeBron next season on a 1 year deal. Pop might not be coaching any longer than a few more seasons and LeBron would love to play for Pop for 1 season. It's also the only team he can leave Cleveland for where the fans won't burn his jerseys in the streets. Spurs have won championships and are a well respected NBA franchise. A LeBron/Leonard duo would be pretty solid but to have a good shot at beating Golden State they would need a 3rd all-star player.

I'm still not really buying Lebron going out west until I see it. I feel like people really want him to sign with a western team because they are sick of him making the finals every year easily but if you're Lebron there isn't a ton of incentive to join a western conference team. I do agree the Spurs could present him with the best opportunity to win it all though.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,461

Post#33 » by Chinook » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 am

DROB27 wrote:If Gay averages a 11 ppg on good percentages it would be a great pick up .. the spurs let Simmons walk cause he isn't very good

You just can't tell people, though. Simmons wasn't a good player for the Spurs. His WCF was at best what you'd expect from a d-leaguer who has the green light. Literally every other Spur had had stretches of games as good or better than anything Simmons did. I'd much rather spend money on Gay.

As far as the thread goes, I think they're gambling on a young back court developing along with their veteran front court continuing to gel. They didn't move any farther away from contending with GS than they had been before. It still depends on Kawhi being an MVP guy who stays healthy, LMA being the second option he's shown he can be when Kawhi's there and them finding a legit third option. They have Parker, Gay and Pau as the likeliest candidates for that. Then the rest of the guys need to play good system defense and hit their shots.

I wanted to see a star guard added (and Lowry on a three-year deal would have been great), but they managed to diversify their roster while still pushing their front-court strategy and keeping cap space open for next summer. People graded them poorly last year as well, and they definitely did a good job compared to all the teams that are capped out on mediocre players because of the persistent lie that the "market" had warranted those deals.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#34 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 am

Their system is predicated on an elite big. At this point they dont have one anymore. Forbes is actually very very good and can even start next year
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,110

Post#35 » by Hellcrooner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:15 am

The fact they have not signed back gasol yet ( supposedly it was all bout opting out for getting C Paul and then signing back) tells me they are doing something in the shadows.
And i dont think it has to do with 2018 Fa i think they are preparing a surprise Move NOW sending out Aldrige and getting back Star Player X.

Trying to get a brotherly ReuniĆ³n anyone?

I wouldnt be surpised.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#36 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:57 am

Hellcrooner wrote:The fact they have not signed back gasol yet ( supposedly it was all bout opting out for getting C Paul and then signing back) tells me they are doing something in the shadows.
And i dont think it has to do with 2018 Fa i think they are preparing a surprise Move NOW sending out Aldrige and getting back Star Player X.

I wouldnt be surpised.

Spurs don't have the assets for Marc tho.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,110

Post#37 » by Hellcrooner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:37 am

Fresh360Waves wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:The fact they have not signed back gasol yet ( supposedly it was all bout opting out for getting C Paul and then signing back) tells me they are doing something in the shadows.

I wouldnt be surpised.

Spurs don't have the assets for Marc tho.

Thats the thing.

They would need to get the assets on a LMA trade.

Three way deal.

I dont find any other reason why Pau has not signed back but also HAS HAD NO TALKS with any other team.

My intuition is he would only wait if the scenario is moving pieces to get his Bro.

MAybe Wishful thinking.
Cycloneon
Senior
And1: 717

Post#38 » by Cycloneon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 am

They're doing something in the shadows. Typical Spurs.

I knew dedmon wasn't coming back.
a bit shocked about Simmons' departure
still a little surprised Aldridge hasn't been dealt with as well

They seem to be waiting until next year since they'll have enough money to max out 2 guys.. 1 year for Lebron and 4 years for someone like avery bradley.

or heck, demarcus cousins lol. San Antonio is going to be the most dangerous team next off-season. Right now, some people are criticizing SA for their offseason efforts this year. Next year, a lot of people are going to be calling San Antonio geniuses.

They are still going to be winning 50 games, still be in conversation, but obviously they aren't going to win. and i'm okay with it.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#39 » by Prez » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 am

I could see LeBron going there if they had moves in place to sign another star on top. I don't think he's going if it's just him and Kawhi and spare parts, even if it was possible Pop could coach them up to beating GSW. Think he knows this is his last chance and he's not taking any chances, makes sure he stacks as much talent as possible and only goes to whichever place locks in at least two other legit stars.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#40 » by SK21209 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:16 am

Cycloneon wrote:They're doing something in the shadows. Typical Spurs.

I knew dedmon wasn't coming back.
a bit shocked about Simmons' departure
still a little surprised Aldridge hasn't been dealt with as well

They seem to be waiting until next year since they'll have enough money to max out 2 guys.. 1 year for Lebron and 4 years for someone like avery bradley.

or heck, demarcus cousins lol. San Antonio is going to be the most dangerous team next off-season. Right now, some people are criticizing SA for their offseason efforts this year. Next year, a lot of people are going to be calling San Antonio geniuses.

They are still going to be winning 50 games, still be in conversation, but obviously they aren't going to win. and i'm okay with it.

Cousins coming here seems crazy but he'd be a monster if he bought into Pop. I think PATFO will definitely make pitches to him and Westbrook.

Return to The General Board