ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 Draft Thread (UPDATED POLL)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who ya wanna tank for?

Luka Doncic
54%
Marvin Bagley
11%
Michael Porter Jr
23%
Mohamed Bamba
3%
DeAndre Ayton
3%
Hamidou Diallo
1%
Kevin Knox
2%
Colin Sexton
1%
Miles Bridges
2%
Isaac Bonga
2%

Total votes: 171

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: 2018 Draft Thread 

Post#181 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Bonga Brigade New Footy.

RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#182 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:Bonga Brigade New Footy.

I like Bonga. I just question his age and question the fit.

Dude look about 35 :lol:

But on the real, we got KP, Willy, Tim, Frank, Baker, and Dotson as our core. Now lets look at Bonga's skill set:

* 6'9" PG/Point Forward
* Unselfish, likes to penetrate and dish via hang dribbles and long strides
* Studies Kyrie Irving and wants to incorporate elements of him into his game
* Likes to rebound and go! Can board and start the break
* 7ft wingspan and competes on defense
* Slow release on the jumper with inconsistent mechanics
* Not a quick-twitch athlete. Much like Frank, more long and smooth than fast and explosive
* Can be bothered by pesky defenders who attack his high dribble and bothered by length on defense who can keep him out the paint

Now with all that said, he is a good prospect who projects as an NBA SF who is a secondary ballhander. To me, sounds a bit redundant to Frank.

PG - Frank
SG - Tim
SF - [empty]
PF - KP
C - WHG

I see a void here for an alpha scorer or a slasher/penetrator at small forward. I think that is the young core's biggest need. Bonga seems to me to be a bigger version of Frank. Which I am not sure is as much of what we need as a difference-maker. Bonga does not project as a big scorer or athlete. He also isn't an alpha type. He's more of a complimentary type. Wants to drive and dish and move the ball (again, similar to Frank). If we somehow land in the top 3 I am praying for Doncic or Porter. But it is highly unlikely. Soo...

Fam, what you think about Trevon Duval?

* 6'3" power point guard in the mold of Westbrook/MVP DRose
* Big shoulders, wide frame, strong body
* Excels in transition and quick-twitch athlete and above the rim finisher. Plays through contact
* Elite handle and excellent creativity. Splits the double, powers through defenders. Very shifty
* 6'8" wingspan at PG and can play lockdown d when he accepts the challenge
* Duke commit. Tough kid but also booksmart
* A bit of an injury risk with the herky-jerky movements but thus far has shown durability
* Can be turnover prone going for the home-run pass or highlight reel feed but has vision and is unselfish
* Pops has groomed him for the NBA since a young age and they have taken a professional approach to his H.S. choices
* Pops took him to every hood to compete against the hungriest kids and best competitors so the kid would not ever have fear and embraces the stage

I am thinking this as a potential DEATH lineup if we got this cat:

PG - Duval
SG - Frank
SF - Tim
PF - [Melo trade piece]
C - KP

Could still start the usual Frank, Tim, [Melo trade piece], KP, Willy at the beginning of games but go small with the aforementioned death lineup to close games out. In the beginning Duval could come off the bench as a pace-changer for instant offense. But eventually maybe would be best to start Duval and bring Frank off the bench as a swiss-army knife similar to how GSW uses Iggy/Livingston.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#183 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:01 pm

2010 wrote:

But on the real, we got KP, Willy, Tim, Frank, Baker, and Dotson as our core. Now lets look at Bonga's skill set:

* 6'9" PG/Point Forward
* Not a quick-twitch athlete. Much like Frank, more long and smooth than fast and explosive
* Can be bothered by pesky defenders who attack his high dribble and bothered by length on defense who can keep him out the paint

Now with all that said, he is a good prospect who projects as an NBA SF who is a secondary ballhander. To me, sounds a bit redundant to Frank.

PG - Frank
SG - Tim
SF - [empty]
PF - KP
C - WHG

I see a void here for an alpha scorer or a slasher/penetrator at small forward. I think that is the young core's biggest need. Bonga seems to me to be a bigger version of Frank. Which I am not sure is as much of what we need as a difference-maker. Bonga does not project as a big scorer or athlete. He also isn't an alpha type. Has more of a complimentary mindset. Wants to drive and dish and move the ball (again, similar to Frank).

* Excels in transition and quick-twitch athlete and above the rim finisher. Plays through contact
* Elite handle and excellent creativity. Splits the double, powers through defenders. Very shifty
* A bit of an injury risk with the herky-jerky movements but thus far has shown durability
* Can be turnover prone going for the home-run pass or highlight reel feed but has vision and is unselfish
* Pops has groomed him for the NBA since a young age and they have taken a professional approach to his H.S. choices
* Pops took him to every hood to compete against the hungriest kids and best competitors so the kid would not ever have fear and embraces the stage

PG - Duval
SG - Frank
SF - Tim
PF - [Melo trade piece]
C - KP

Could still start the usual Frank, Tim, [Melo trade piece], KP, Willy at the beginning of games but go small with the aforementioned death lineup to close games out. In the beginning Duval could come off the bench as a pace-changer for instant offense. But eventually maybe would be best to start Duval and bring Frank off the bench as a swiss-army knife similar to how GSW uses Iggy/Livingston.

I think people have to stop with this african age stuff. Especially a cat that was born in GERMANY. There should be no doubts about his age. I personally love his Fit and he is one my favorite players in the draft.

Trevon Duval he ight, but I highly doubt we would draft a PG next year.

I would rather get Diallo before him.
RealGM

Post#184 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
2010 wrote:

* 6'9" PG/Point Forward

PG - Frank
SG - Tim
SF - [empty]
PF - KP
C - WHG

I see a void here for an alpha scorer or a slasher/penetrator at small forward. I think that is the young core's biggest need. Bonga seems to me to be a bigger version of Frank. Which I am not sure is as much of what we need as a difference-maker. Bonga does not project as a big scorer or athlete. He also isn't an alpha type. Has more of a complimentary mindset. Wants to drive and dish and move the ball (again, similar to Frank).

PG - Duval
SG - Frank
SF - Tim
PF - [Melo trade piece]
C - KP

I think people have to stop with this african age stuff. Especially a cat that was born in GERMANY. There should be no doubts about his age.

Oh shhh, I thought he was born in Congo. Good shhh.

Yeah, the odds are we won't go PG back-to-back years. What makes me think it could be possible is Frank is not the typical pure PG. He can easily project as an NBA combo guard and even has the length to see spot minutes as a 3/D SF. Also, Hornacek has a history of running an offense featuring two point guards. Lastly, the PG's we do have (really combo guards in Frank/Baker) are not penetrating guards. I see a void for an alpha type for KP, WHG, Tim, Dotson to play off of and generate easy buckets. It is something I am gonna keep an eye on. Especially with Duval being easy to track at DUKE.

RealGM

Post#185 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Yeah, Diallo is a good look too. Plus he'll be at Kentucky and that shhh is an NBA factory.

Wanna keep an eye on Kevin Knox at Kentucky too

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#186 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:15 pm

2010 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
2010 wrote:

* 6'9" PG/Point Forward

PG - Frank
SG - Tim
SF - [empty]
PF - KP
C - WHG

PG - Duval
SG - Frank
SF - Tim
PF - [Melo trade piece]
C - KP

I think people have to stop with this african age stuff. Especially a cat that was born in GERMANY. There should be no doubts about his age.

Oh shhh, I thought he was born in Congo. Good shhh.

Yeah, the odds are we won't go PG back-to-back years. What makes me think it could be possible is Frank is not the typical pure PG. He can easily project as an NBA combo guard and even has the length to see spot minutes as a 3/D SF. Also, Hornacek has a history of running an offense featuring two point guards. Lastly, the PG's we do have (really combo guards in Frank/Baker) are not penetrating guards. I see a void for an alpha type for KP, WHG, Tim, Dotson to play off of and generate easy buckets. It is something I am gonna keep an eye on. Especially with Duval being easy to track at DUKE.

Its to early for me to project what the Knicks will do. I know if Melo is gone, will have a hole @ SF which I would assume they would want to fill. Tim is most def not a SF and we would need true SF size at the position since it fits with the whole length thing the Knicks would be on these days. If you put a gun to my head right now, its a either a Bigman or a wing.
RealGM

Post#187 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:47 pm

The more research I do the more I am keying in on one specific underrated and unheralded player:

Kevin Knox gentlemen...

* Dude is still only 17 years old and doesn't turn 18 until mid-August

* Dude is already 6'9" in shoes and may still be growing. Thinking he may hit 6'10" by the time his freshman year of college is up

* Former highly touted H.S. football quarterback who is the son of a former NFL player.

* Two years ago decided to focus on basketball as his sole sport and has slipped under the radar since he hasn't been on the scene in the basketball landscape as long as other national recruits

* In the last two years has stormed the scene and really started to develop. Cracked the ESPN Top 100 currently ranked at #9 (2nd at SF - trailing only Michael Porter, Jr. among national recruits in his class)

* Late commit to UK and will be coach Cal's latest one & done NBA prospect on the fast track

* Calipari is on record of looking to play him at wing (SG/SF) which will only enhance his development as a long, athletic, dynamic wing

* High motor, young, long & athletic, multipositional defender and is quoted as saying he can play the 1 thru the 4 on offense and defend each of those positions respectively as well

* Flourishes in the full court attack where he grabs the rebound and starts the 1-man break. Capable of putting the ball on the floor and finishing above-the-rim

* Developing 3pt shot. Only 6 three point makes freshman year in high school. 75 three point makes by his senior year in high school

* Hard worker who is putting in the work and trying to improve the weaker areas of his game (3pt shot, handle, and playmaking skills)

* No major holes in his game. All his weaknesses can be developed. Yet has physical tools you can't teach

* Studies game film of Greek Freak, KD, and Grant Hill

* Despite being slept on by most draft sites like DraftExpress and NBADraft.net where he does not appear in their current mock and is not ranked at all (DX), or is mocked lower than he will ultimately be drafted in 2018 (NBADraft.net) once he shows what he can do at the college level and benefits from the exposure and NBA factory that Kentucky is, he will undoubtedly shoot onto the scene and up the mock rankings by March

* Team USA member, McDonald's All American, and Jordan Brand Classic participant

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,088

Post#188 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm

2010 wrote:The more research I do the more I am keying in on one specific underrated and unheralded player:

Kevin Knox gentlemen...

* Dude is still only 17 years old and doesn't turn 18 until mid-August

* Dude is already 6'9" in shoes and may still be growing. Thinking he may hit 6'10" by the time his freshman year of college is up

* Former highly touted H.S. football quarterback who is the son of a former NFL player.

* Two years ago decided to focus on basketball as his sole sport and has slipped under the radar since he hasn't been on the scene in the basketball landscape as long as other national recruits

* In the last two years has stormed the scene and really started to develop. Cracked the ESPN Top 100 currently ranked at #9 (2nd at SF - trailing only Michael Porter, Jr. among national recruits in his class)

* Late commit to UK and will be coach Cal's latest one & done NBA prospect on the fast track

* Calipari is on record of looking to play him at wing (SG/SF) which will only enhance his development as a long, athletic, dynamic wing

* High motor, young, long & athletic, multipositional defender and is quoted as saying he can play the 1 thru the 4 on offense and defend each of those positions respectively as well

* Flourishes in the full court attack where he grabs the rebound and starts the 1-man break. Capable of putting the ball on the floor and finishing above-the-rim

* Developing 3pt shot. Only 6 three point makes freshman year in high school. 75 three point makes by his senior year in high school

* Hard worker who is putting in the work and trying to improve the weaker areas of his game (3pt shot, handle, and playmaking skills)

* No major holes in his game. All his weaknesses can be developed. Yet has physical tools you can't teach

* Studies game film of Greek Freak, KD, and Grant Hill

* Despite being slept on by most draft sites like DraftExpress and NBADraft.net where he does not appear in their current mock and is not ranked at all (DX), or is mocked lower than he will ultimately be drafted in 2018 (NBADraft.net) once he shows what he can do at the college level and benefits from the exposure and NBA factory that Kentucky is, he will undoubtedly shoot onto the scene and up the mock rankings by March

* Team USA member, McDonald's All American, and Jordan Brand Classic participant

Yes!
I've been trying to tell everyone about Kevin Knox for months!
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#189 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:13 pm

How is Knox unheralded and underrated? :-?
RealGM

Post#190 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:How is Knox unheralded and underrated? :-?

He gets nowhere near the hype that other forwards and centers in his potential class are getting (Porter Jr, Bagley III, Ayton, Bamba, etc.)

He is unranked on DX, not in their mock, and gets nitpicked and critized more than anything in their most recent scouting report on him.

NBADraft.net has him pegged outside of the lottery at #17 at this point. They also have his comp as Mo freaking Taylor, who wishes he had the type of fluidity and athleticism in his prime that Knox has.

2 years ago Knox was looked at as more of a football recruit than a basketball recruit.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#191 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:34 pm

2010 wrote:

He gets nowhere near the hype that other forwards and centers in his potential class are getting (Porter Jr, Bagley III, Ayton, Bamba, etc.)

He is unranked on DX, not in their mock, and gets nitpicked and critized more than anything in their most recent scouting report on him.

NBADraft.net has him pegged outside of the lottery at #17 at this point. They also have his comp as Mo freaking Taylor, who wishes he had the type of fluidity and athleticism in his prime that Knox has.

2 years ago Knox was looked at as more of a football recruit than a basketball recruit.

Just because players are viewed higher doesn't mean he's falling under the radar. I also wouldn't look into any ranking DX has, at the moment - once school starts and the season starts to get closer, if he's not in the rankings I'd think there's something off there. I also don't think he gets criticized more than others really...if a guy has more weaknesses, he has more weaknesses. Their mocks are also always way off before the season starts. They're usually always changing up until like the month of the draft.

Also, NBADraft.net is garbage for comparisons. It's been that way for YEARS. Remember Deshawn Stevenson = MJ?

Knox is a good player with a LOT of potential and I like him a lot, but I don't think he's underrated at all. He's ranked in the top 10 by (I think) every scouting service and is ranked as the #2 SF behind MPJr. If he were ranked well below that, I'd agree with you.

Again, I like him a lot and I'm not trying to create an issue (there isn't one), I just think calling the #2 SF in his class and a guy that was heavily recruited by Cal (and is going to UK) is a bit weird.
RealGM

Post#192 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
2010 wrote:

Just because players are viewed higher doesn't mean he's falling under the radar. I also wouldn't look into any ranking DX has, at the moment - once school starts and the season starts to get closer, if he's not in the rankings I'd think there's something off there. I also don't think he gets criticized more than others really...if a guy has more weaknesses, he has more weaknesses. Their mocks are also always way off before the season starts. They're usually always changing up until like the month of the draft.

Also, NBADraft.net is garbage for comparisons. It's been that way for YEARS. Remember Deshawn Stevenson = MJ?

Knox is a good player with a LOT of potential and I like him a lot, but I don't think he's underrated at all. He's ranked in the top 10 by (I think) every scouting service and is ranked as the #2 SF behind MPJr. If he were ranked well below that, I'd agree with you.

Again, I like him a lot and I'm not trying to create an issue (there isn't one), I just think calling the #2 SF in his class and a guy that was heavily recruited by Cal (and is going to UK) is a bit weird.

I get what you are saying for the most part. But I do want to comment on this...

if a guy has more weaknesses, he has more weaknesses.

Not sure if this fits Knox's case. He actually has no major holes in his game and definitely has less weaknesses than others. Just seems like the DX writer is salty because Knox is continuously working to mold his game to become more of a wing when the DX writer/scout prefers him to develop as more of a hybrid forward as an NBA small-ball 4.

Dkillanyk4lyf
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,625

Post#193 » by Dkillanyk4lyf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:25 pm

You guys are rite, he is really intriguing.

Knox,ayton,bamba,doncic,mpjr,possibly bagley..

Anyone of those with kp-frank-willy g and we'll be perfect.

#BELIEVEINPERRY!!!!!!!
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#194 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:25 pm

IB4 KT says Doncic has less holes in his game.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#195 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 pm

2010 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
2010 wrote:

I get what you are saying for the most part. But I do want to comment on this...

if a guy has more weaknesses, he has more weaknesses.

Not sure if this fits Knox's case. He actually has no major holes in his game and definitely has less weaknesses than others. Just seems like the DX writer is salty because Knox is continuously working to mold his game to become more of a wing when the DX writer/scout prefers him to develop as more of a hybrid forward as an NBA small-ball 4.

That's fair. Then you need to ask is it better to have no major flaws but 1-3 minor ones, or 1-3 major ones and no minor ones. :D I can't imagine DX being salty that a player is developing a certain way...that just seems odd.

IllmaticHandler wrote:IB4 KT says Doncic has less holes in his game.

I said it before, and I'll say it again - Doncic is the most complete wing prospect (offensively speaking, at least) since Brandon Roy. His athleticism and defensive ability are issues, but IMO he's a "smooth" athlete (which gives off the appearance of him being a bad one, which IMO he's not)...and the defense...leaves something to be desired, for sure. But offensively, he has no holes.
RealGM

Post#196 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Definitely sounds like the writer/scout disagreeing with Knox's development is the main driver in how he is evaluating him. I feel like if the kid cannot work on his perimeter skills in these games and camps then what is he developing for? Dude wants him to be content to settle into a role at 17 years old :lol:

From DX:

Still trying to prove that he's a wing by hoisting up jumpers early in the clock or trying to create off the dribble. Much more effective if he'll accept the role as an energetic, athlete/defender while the rest of his game develops organically.

While he shows an improved skill set for brief stretches, he's too focused on proving that he can play the three rather than making an impact by using his tools, explosiveness and energy. If he can find a way to buy into defending multiple positions, moving off the ball, crashing the glass, running the floor, and playing as more of a modern four man (which is very much the trend in today's NBA) he's far more interesting as an NBA prospect. He'll have to continue to stick to his strengths while finding a way to make spot-up 3s consistently to validate his current standing as a prospect. Knox's skill-set is undoubtedly best suited at the 4 at the NCAA level (even if he insists on being recruited as a 3), but if he's still concerned with developing into a wing his development and overall intrigue as a prospect will continue to take a hit.  

Source:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Knox-90053/ ©DraftExpress

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#197 » by Polk377 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 pm

2010 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:I doubt we'll be in range of a top 3 pick but still in the lottery. Unlike many Im not against that if its because our young players played hard and got a few extra wins. My attention then turns to Miles Bridges who I thought had a great year last year. He scores in just about any way imaginable, is a great rebounder, can play above the rim.

I like Bridges. He can score anywhere on the floor. Explosive leaper. Plays hard. Tough. Wide body. Defends. My issue with him is although he has factors that make up for being undersized, he strikes me as the type that will eventually suffer some type of injury that robs him of his athleticism. I don't think his game will age well or provide much durability long term. Strikes me as the LJ, Weatherspoon prototype. At some point early in his career he just won't be the same and will be a shell of himself. Barkley is the rare case in this prototype that had effective longevity. I would shy away for that reason unless others I like are off the board.

I'm all in on the Miles Bridges bandwagon. This kid is a beast and his jumper looks greatly improved from where it was when he came into MSU. He would fit real nicely into the new up tempo, defensive mindset of this franchise next to Frank, THJ, Willy and KP.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#198 » by fatalogic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Please just get me one of these 6'9-6'10 freak athletic forwards. I thought we'd never see another KD or Giannis for a long time but damn these guys keep popping up everywhere. Obviously these kids might never reach their skill levels but I still though a 6'9-6'10 SF would be a rarity.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,852

Post#199 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Wow, talk about a Wojbomb:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/the-end-of-an-era-6070/

We're proud to announce that Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz will be joining ESPN as NBA Draft analysts.

DraftExpress.com will remain on the web with all of our existing archive, but will not be publishing any new content moving forward. All articles, rankings, mock drafts and event recaps moving forward will be published on ESPN.com.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to DraftExpress, and the millions of readers who have visited our website diligently over the past 14 years.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#200 » by N Y K » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:08 am

bump... because draft focus should never die

Return to New York Knicks